0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Funny

You know, It's been told said that families have an un-breakable bond with their kids, and that they love them with all of their hearts. Well, as that's true for some kids, it wasn't true for me. Hi, my name is Constance, and I'm 27 years old. Yeah I know. I'm pretty old.

Let me ask you a question, How is the bond between you and your family? Take your time for this one. Now, I don't expect a book containing 1,000 letters. Although, That would be pretty impressive. I'm just asking that you think about that question.

If for instance, you answered with Great or Wonderful, I want you to think about this, Has it always been Great or Wonderful? I know that nobody is perfect. Sometimes, I had a hard time with that as a kid. Okay, All the time, but that's only because I wanted to meet the standards of my family.

I grew up Downtown Detroit, living in an apartment building. My birth mother and father died, and I was adopted at 4 from an orphanage in Brittany.

My adoptive mother was often hard on me. She didn't show any signs that she liked me.

She would say, "Everything was fine around here until you showed up." I never got why. I did the dishes, ran the washer and dryer for everyone, moped, cleaned, and even got the other children ready.

My adoptive family started off in London, so they are used to things their way.

Such as waiting until everyone but me has eaten to then feed me. They told me several times that they didn't want me, or that I was a skinny pile of bones, but I look this way because of their actions.

Their children, Milly and Billy often make fun of the way I look. I do everything for them. Even more that Mrs. Reynold does. That's my adoptive mother. All she does is sit around, and drink tea all day. Once she even grabbed a bag of dirt from the shops, after I finished 6 hour of cleaning, threw it on the floor and demanded me to clean it. It's not easy being me. Mr. Reynold, my adoptive father is a bit nicer. He checks up on me every once and a while, and sometimes, he even kisses me goodnight, but Milly and Billy are the favorites, so they get full ability to abuse my strength. Mostly by dirtying the house, and blaming the mess on me. Most of the time, I take the blame for things, but Mr. and Mrs. Reynold don't know so they think of me as a liar.

I was and still am a displeasing piece of business. When I was just 14 they started abusing me. Mr. Reynold became an alcoholic and never did the things he used to. Until one day, Mr. Reynold became very cross at me, for no reason at all, and ordered me that I go to the shops and purchase a whip, and a gun.

I didn't have a choice whether to or not to do it, but I did have another choice. As I headed off, I left a note on the Reynold's door stating, "Hello Reynolds. This is Constance Shirly. I am writing to you today, explaining how I won't be returning, after I purchase the items, I will leave, I cannot stay if I am not being cared for. I do not appreciate your parenting methods you've been using on me. They did not work and never will. I'm off to find a new home, I know you won't miss me or care to read the rest, but I love you all. Thank you for welcoming me into your home for 10 years, but it is time I set off on my own. I know it's not very lady like, but I'm sure I'll be great woman some day.

Sincerely, Constance Shirly."

I was finally free, to be myself, to journey off, and never to be mistreated again.

"Why hello sir! My name is Constance Shirly, may I interest you in a-"

"No" replied the man.

It was hard finding money, so I decided to be a peddler until I get my feet on the ground. Not an illegal's kind, I plan to sell trinkets and shells. In the town, I had to be 27 to have my dream come true, and be the city inventor. And when I was 17,

My business took off! I was finally making enough money to abide by.

I soon bought my own apartment in The Suburbs of Chicago.

When I turned 21 I tasted alcohol for the first time, just a sip, to see if it was worth a New Year family tradition.

"Blaha!" It wasn't.

When I was 26 about to be 27, just before my dream could come true, I got a letter from The Reynolds. "Hello Constance. It's the Reynold family. As you should be. Your letter that you wrote was very kind, but we can't relate at all. We have never done anything like this before, and quite frankly, do care to read on. As the years went by, we had another bundle of joy-"

"Huh" I said. "Guess they have a new baby. Glad I'm not there to clean up after it."

"We really miss you sweetheart, and if you would kindly consider coming back home for your birthday, we would really like to see you. Especially the kids. They are both 19 now! Isn't that awesome!? Anyway, we would love to see you. Think about it, and hey,

We love you too.

Sincerely, The Reynolds."

Yeah, so I was as surprised as you are, they want me back. Or, they want me to re-consider my job as their maid. I left because I couldn't take it anymore, and now they want me back?

Yeah! I won't go! Nope! Or, maybe I shou- No No Nope! I can't. I can! No I wont. I will! Okay fine! I guess, I'll go.

And I was off. That sentence sound familiar. The same sentence I said when I first left them. Now I'm comin back.

As I stepped in front of their door I thought, "Am I doing the right thing? Why am I back here? And why is my letter still on the door?"

After all of my heartache, I stepped inside, It was dark and quiet. Huh, looks like I came for no reason after a-

"Surprise!" The Reynolds shouted. "You guys!? You all scared me!"

"Hey Sista! I missed ya!" Milly said. "I'm sure you did."

"You came!" Mr. Reynold said. "I'm so happy!" he continued. You know, Maybe I was wrong after all. Maybe they've changed. "Hey Consty. It's me. Momma." said Mrs. Reynold. "Hi Mom. You look, almost the same."

"You know I've missed you. We all have, and we sat down and talked and agreed, that you shouldn't of been treated the way you did. We are so so sorry Constance. We love you" said Mrs. Reynold.

"Wow, I think I might..cry" I said with a chuckle. "Thank you all, and I would love to stay if that's okay with you all."

"Well of course that's okay!" Said Mr. Reynold. "Our daughter is back!" Shouted Mrs. Reynold to Mr. Reynold.

And that's my family. We had our ups and downs but, that's okay. Everyone deserves a second chance, and after all, they taught me a lesson, "Family, always sticks together, like a piece of sticky tape."

Now think back to your answer to the question I asked you earlier, and If it was an answer containing a, "No, Nope, zilch, not really." Then think back to my story, and think, "Does my family deserve a second chance? Do I want our love to stick like sticky tape? Can I forgive their red flags?" Then, You'll know.

You truly belong.

November 25, 2020 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.