52 comments

Romance Sad

When We Were Together

Somewhere in New York City, you are laughing. You are smiling with him, and you are happy. Remember when I was the person you were happy with? Remember that day out in the fields, when I was your one and only? They say home is where the heart is, but my heart belongs to you, yet you’re no longer my home. Darling, you and I were two injured souls, joined together like stitches until we broke open, and blood spilled out of our hearts. Even though it was all those summers ago, I still remember your smile, your warmth, your beauty. Home was when I was with you, but you’ve departed from me. Somewhere in the fields of our hometown, we were together.

I recall that the sun was shining, occasionally covered by the white clouds that you loved watching go by. You cried my name like I was the only person you ever needed, and in that moment, I was. I doubt you’ll ever feel that way again. It was just you and me in that meadow, our limits were endless as was our love. Until the storm clouds came, drenching our love as the rain began to pour. And it didn’t stop. Before long I was drowning. You jumped onto that lifeboat and didn’t even think about bringing me. Do you remember that, or do you see me as a mere wave? I build up, higher and larger, but by the time I’ve reached you, the shore, you’re gone. Our love was as vast as the ocean, but when you saw I was a shipwreck, you didn’t even think twice about me. I had become nothing more than the rocks sunken at the bottom of the sea. You only cared for the sand because he was perfect for you. He filled your ocean with fish and coral, but most importantly, life. Something I could never do. Somewhere in the ocean and in the storm clouds that cried for our love, we were together.

I remember how you smiled that afternoon. Like the world was right in your hands, and the world was me. But you dropped me, and I shattered like a crystal ball when you realised your fortune was terrible. I’m sorry I was terrible, I’m sorry I wasn’t your future, I’m sorry I wasn’t the fortune you wanted. I’m sure he’s the answer you were looking for. I’m certain he’s your fortune, crystal ball, and fortune teller because he has it all. He has you. The meadow was meant to be ours, that afternoon was supposed to be the start of everything. You loved me, and I loved you, but I guess we had different perceptions about us. Love was just a game to you, and I was a minor inconvenience in your way. Had I not been there, you would’ve found your happiness sooner. I’m sorry that our crystal ball broke, and it sent shards flying back in my face, but left you untouched. I hate how you’re happy with him when I could’ve made you happier. Somewhere in a fortune teller’s tent, maybe they’ll tell you that we were together.

Sometimes, your name comes up when I speak to old friends. They ask me where you are and why you’re not by my side. That day out in the fields, you were there. You promised you would always be there, but even you lie, darling. Why make a promise you know you weren’t going to keep? At times, I feel as though I was just another letter in your mailbox, but you were only accepting texts. I sent you roses, but he was your garden. I wore pretty clothes and tried to impress you, but he had beaten me to it. So when they ask me where you are, I smile and tell them you’re really happy, but you’re far away. I tell them you’ve moved on, and we weren’t meant to be. They say they’re sorry, but I reassure them it’s okay. Sometimes letters get stuck in the mail, and they get returned to their sender. Thank you for returning me, even though you hadn’t opened it. I’m sure you read all his letters and texts and reply to them like you used to do for me. Somewhere in the little post office across the park, there is a wall, and on that wall are our initials. A reminder that we were together.

My mother called me today asking how you were. I didn’t have the heart to tell her you were gone since you broke that. My heart was complete that afternoon in the meadow, and sometimes it still lingers. How could I be selfish by refusing you to go? Just like that, you were on the plane with him, flying far away from what we had. He flew you to his home because that’s where your heart is, and you forget about your luggage because you didn’t need me. You were starting anew. A wonderful trip to happy ever after because I wasn’t going to be there. I imagined I was the one taking you there. I figured that I was the pilot, and you were my passenger. I thought we would live happily ever after, walking around in love like kids. Perhaps that was just me. Your name will be on your luggage tag in my handwriting because I wrote it for you when we were together. 

Somewhere in New York City, you are laughing. You are smiling with him, and you are happy. Remember when I was the person you were happy with? Remember that day out in the fields, when I was your one and only? They say home is where the heart is, but my heart belongs to you, yet you’re no longer my home. Darling, you and I were two injured souls, joined together like stitches until we broke open, and blood spilled out of our hearts. Even though it was all those summers ago, I still remember your smile, your warmth, your beauty. Home was when I was with you, but you’ve departed from me. I loved you, and you left me there bleeding. Drowning. Shattered. Falling. Why did you do it? Why did you say you were in love, why did you tell me you adored me, why did you leave me? At the time, I thought we were all there was. I thought we were happy ever after. Then, on that afternoon in the meadow, you told me you were in love with him after our laughter and playing. Not me, it was never me. I look back, and I think, how could I have been so stupid? I reminisce about the last day of summer, and that you lied to me. Played with my feelings, broke my heart, and for what? For him to be your real ocean? Your crystal ball? Your plane ticket to love and happiness? I wish that was me. I’m sorry I ever thought it was. Somewhere in the fields of our hometown, we were together, but that’s probably just an afterthought to you now.

June 23, 2021 09:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Dhwani Jain
11:10 Jul 28, 2021

Hey Jasey! How have you been?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:37 Jul 28, 2021

Hey, Dhwani! Not too bad, hbu? :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:32 Jul 29, 2021

Nice. I am good.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
07:32 Jul 29, 2021

Nice to hear! Read any books lately?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
11:38 Jul 29, 2021

Cool! None as such...the last I read was The Giver....I have a review of it on my blog...you can check that....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
05:10 Aug 01, 2021

I HAVE BEEN DOWNVOTED!!!!!!! I HAD ABOUT 1100+ POINTS, AND NOW I AM LEFT AT 660+.... PLEASE HELP ME, MY REEDSY FRIENDS STOP DOWNVOTING NOW!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:39 Jul 02, 2021

Henlooo

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
09:36 Jul 02, 2021

Hey Aerinnnnnn

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:45 Jun 28, 2021

I really like this story. The explanations of the events with the metaphors were just mind blowing.... I have a little something to add though, do try to make the paragraphs a tad bit shorter, it becomes kind of difficult to read them... Rest, all's well (although this one didn't end well..;) )

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:10 Jun 29, 2021

Thanks so much for your comment, Dhwani. Yes, I tried to get the metaphors to become, well, literal. I can't edit the submission, but I'll take your feedback into account for next time! Thank you for reading :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:32 Jun 29, 2021

You're welcome! Okay...no problem. Suggestions are there to help you improve, in the present or in the future. Please read some of my stories too. Where are you from?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:24 Jun 29, 2021

I agree, thanks again for the suggestion. I'll check out some of yours now! In another message I asked you to guess where I'm from :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:34 Jun 29, 2021

Yeah...and I have guessed in the 'other message'. I too want to read some more of your stories...any recommendations?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:41 Jun 29, 2021

We have two chains going on at the same time lmao- As for some recommendations, I have a list of them in my bio, if you would like to check those out.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
17:35 Jun 26, 2021

I love the poetic element of this story and even though it was sad I still enjoyed reading it. Also, how have you been doing, I haven't read any of your stories in ages :))

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
02:13 Jun 27, 2021

Hey Palak, thank you for your comment and for reading this story! It's the hols where I live, which is great, so I get to sleep in :) Wbu, how are you going?

Reply

Palak Shah
14:29 Jun 27, 2021

Yh that's nice. I have to go off school because of COVID and the third wave stuff, so staying at home is not that bad, and like you, I get to sleep as well and I love it :))

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:16 Jun 28, 2021

Staying at home is great bc it means more writing time ;)

Reply

Palak Shah
12:35 Jun 28, 2021

Exactly and I love staying at home because all my exams are canceled so there is just more time for reading and writing and watching Netflix lol :)) So when do your holidays end?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:07 Jun 29, 2021

Mood but relatable ahahaha They end in another week or so, wbu? :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:16 Jun 24, 2021

My inner poet loves repetition and tragedy, so it inevitably sucked me into that hole, say, a year ago. I haven't crawled out of it yet—and I don't think I ever will—but I can at least enjoy this story. And, as always, your romance (I have removed this part because I have said this too much. Repetition can only go so far). Great job, as usual!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
09:26 Jun 24, 2021

Your inner poet can't escape the tragedy hole, my friend. I like to think it's one part of poetry that makes it, well, poetry. Thank you so much for your comment, it was so lovely :)

Reply

17:08 Jun 24, 2021

I agree. You're welcome!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:17 Jun 24, 2021

Thank you <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Everett Silvers
21:50 Jun 28, 2021

Hi Jasey! This story is absolutely beautiful. It reads well and is written fantastically with greet descriptions. It really speaks to me and I'm honestly shocked that it only has six likes. I love it :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
01:11 Jul 14, 2021

Hey, Everett! Thanks so much for reading, I really enjoyed writing this story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pina Bastos
21:54 Jun 23, 2021

Dear Jasey I think it is a very romantic and sad story, with real feelings, but I would look forward to a less sad ending. I also think you could explore more New York and the city life. I'm a bit inconfortable with the repetition also. I think you could give the reader some hope. Thank you!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:38 Jun 23, 2021

Hi Pina, thanks for your comment! I would take in your feedback, but this wasn't meant to be a happy or hopeful story. If you'd prefer something more inspirational, check out some of my other stories such as "Here's to Wishing". The repetition was incorporated to prove a point and to have a relation to the title. Thank you again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pina Bastos
21:54 Jun 23, 2021

Dear Jasey I think it is a very romantic and sad story, with real feelings, but I would look forward to a less sad ending. I also think you could explore more New York and the city life. I'm a bit inconfortable with the repetition also. I think you could give the reader some hope. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pina Bastos
21:54 Jun 23, 2021

Dear Jasey I think it is a very romantic and sad story, with real feelings, but I would look forward to a less sad ending. I also think you could explore more New York and the city life. I'm a bit inconfortable with the repetition also. I think you could give the reader some hope. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.