10 comments

Drama Fantasy

The angels, Ralph and Ed, hovered above the little cottage at the edge of the woods. God sent them out when He knew it was time. He loved all people, as only God can, and though it didn’t seem possible, everyone was special in His eyes.

So, when He knew one His followers were about to encounter a problem, He sent help.

Ralph and Ed were Angels of the Realm, and they had wings and some power to intervene on behalf of their charge. Though they’d gotten into some trouble in the past, both angels were Godly in nature. This meant that they did their best to avoid evil and help their charges to avoid sin.

This was their forty-fourth assignment, and both knew that when they finished the fiftieth, they would move up to the next level. With so much at stake, the two angels were dedicated to receiving high praise from their Heavenly Father.

Below them, the angels heard the excited voices of the young couple who lived here.

****

“Josh? I think it might be time.”

“Time?”

Alice saw the blank look cross her beloved’s face, and she inwardly groaned.

“Yes, Josh. It’s TIME.”

“Oh? You mean, uh, the baby? The baby is coming now?”

Despite the situation, he had to laugh. Through her giggles, Alice said, “Probably not exactly at this precise moment, but I think we should get ready. Do you have your list?”

“My list. My list? Oh, yeah. That list. I know right where it is. You sit still. I’ll be right back.”

****

The angels and Alice listened as Josh rummaged through his nightstand.  

Josh ran his hands through his hair and gave out a heavy sigh.

“Where did I put it?” And just before he gave in to the panic all around him like a rising tide, he glimpsed the corner of yellow, legal-sized paper sticking out between the mattress and box spring.

If Josh had any idea that Ralph reached under the mattress and pulled just enough, he would have been thankful, but for now, he was happy to take all the credit.

The first item on the list was to grab Alice’s bag from the bottom of her closet. He pulled the door open without realizing how much adrenaline was coursing through his veins.

The door came off the track and listed to one side.

“No time to worry about that now.” He saw Alice’s bright purple small suitcase and grabbed it.

The next item on the list was to make sure Alice was dressed suitably for the car ride.

“Hon? Are you dressed?”

“I’ve got on my jammies, but I don’t think that will be a problem, they’re only going to put me in a gown anyway. Don’t worry. It’s all going to be alright.”

Josh wished he had Alice’s rosy outlook, but his mind was racing. He wanted a big glass of water, but he didn’t want to take the time from his mission.

Next on the list was to put the baby seat in the car. So, after checking on Alice and making sure she could wait for about ten minutes to go to the hospital, Josh took on installing the baby seat. He knew if it wasn’t fixed, they wouldn’t let them leave the hospital, so this was an essential step.

As the nervous father-to-be struggled with the straps and anchors, it suddenly dawned on him that this was the last ride he and Alice would have while they were just a couple. It was a sobering thought. After this, whenever they went somewhere, it would be the three of them.

Alice utilized the breathing techniques she’d learned in Lamaze class.

“Josh? How’s it going?” she muttered.

“I’ll be right out. I’ve got your bag, and I made sure everything was in there. You forgot your mouthguard.”

“My mouthguard. Josh, do you really think I need it? I mean, I’m only going to be gone for a few nights.”

A blank look crossed Josh’s face. To Alice, his features looked like a little boy who was lost.

“Josh,” she said between cleansing breaths, “relax. People have babies every day. I can do this, we can do this, alright?”

Josh watched her, and his heart practically burst from his chest. He loved this woman with all his heart.

****

Ralph whispered to Ed. “Don’t you love it when we see someone who can love like that?”

“Yeah. It kind of gives you hope for the human race, doesn’t it?”

Ralph sighed. “It’s too bad the rest of their day will be so tough.”

“I know. A part of me wants to go to the big guy and ask Him if this could turn out differently, you know?”

“Me, too. But that’s why we’re here after all. We need to assure them of His love. Even on a day when they feel completely let down and alone, He is there.”

“True. I just wish the evil one didn’t have dominion over the earth. If that weren’t so, all of the horrible things wouldn’t happen.”

“That might be. But then no one would truly appreciate Heaven.”

“But still, it just isn’t fair. Why does this baby have to die? These two believers are so excited and happy. I hate to think of the heartache that’s coming their way.”

“I hear you.”

****

Several hours later, Alice was taking every direction from the nurses and doctor. She knew it would only take a few more pushes, and then she would get to see her baby.

And she’d made sure it would be a surprise. Both she and Josh didn’t want to know the sex of their child until it was born. Maybe it wasn’t the norm in today’s world. But Alice wondered if there was any better surprise left in the world.

“Come on, Alice. I know you’re tired. Just one more push.”

Alice bore down and let her breath whistle through her teeth. She thought she heard the doctor saying, “Stop,” but she was determined to deliver this baby NOW.

“Oh, no,” Josh murmured through his tears.

Alice stopped pushing and strained to hear her baby’s first cries.

Nothing.

“I’m so sorry, honey,” said the nurse as she pushed the plunger on the needle. Alice barely had time to register what just happened before the drug knocked her out.

It wasn’t so easy for Josh. He saw the lifeless and blue body of his son. Wrapped around the little neck was the umbilical cord.

****

Ralph and Ed remained close to Josh and Alice. At times, they had to split up because the young couple struggled to be in the same room together. Their pain was palpable when apart, but nearly impossible to deal with when they looked into one another’s eyes.

The only thing that helped the angels was His word that another baby would come. It would be more than a year later, but the little bundle would help ease the broken hearts.

He always found a way to comfort those He considered to be special.

August 18, 2020 15:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Philip Clayberg
15:04 Sep 27, 2020

I really liked the story (and I shouldn't be cutting onions while reading it) and wondered if you were considering writing at least one more Ralph and Ed story. Maybe in another situation entirely (a family wanting to celebrate Christmas, but too poor to buy presents, for instance). Something where they aren't just watching, but actually involved.

Reply

Mustang Patty
15:13 Sep 27, 2020

Great idea. Next year. I will be curating a Christmas Anthology, so I need some good Christmas stories. Thank you for the critique. Patty

Reply

Philip Clayberg
15:20 Sep 27, 2020

You're very welcome. Happy writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:27 Sep 14, 2020

Wow! You are very talented at bringing the feels in your readers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:56 Sep 07, 2020

Such an emotional story. Sometimes I wonder why these challenges are put before us when they could be evitable. We have teenagers willing to abort their children and then mothers who never have the child they always try to conceive. The mental stress associated with losing a child after catering for it for about six to nine months alone is... This story really got me touched with the sad ending. Everything has a reason whether we like it or not. If it's due to happen, it would happen. Thumbs up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Victoria Laken
10:14 Sep 03, 2020

Your story was like reality TV or something out of Grey's Anatomy. It had a sad outcome but the way it was written held me spellbound till the end. Great writing.

Reply

Mustang Patty
18:28 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:35 Aug 31, 2020

I was heartbroken when I read the baby was dead, but you lift up my mood with the ending. A very well written story, Mustang! Great job! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "The Purple Sash"? Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
12:41 Aug 23, 2020

Beautiful. Well written. Sad too. Loved it. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story "Secrets don't remain buried"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rambling Beth
19:16 Aug 20, 2020

This was such a beautiful but bittersweet story. Josh and Alice losing the baby was very sad, but the idea they'd have another child in the future offered some hope. I loved the angels watching over them, reminded me of both the angels in The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman and the angels in Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Both wonderful books, just like your story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.