0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Speculative

Last Train

By Shane LaGrange

Start your story with someone sitting on a crowded train and end it with them looking over beautiful natural scenery.

William Morriss, fifty, and balding, glanced nervously at this watch for the umpteenth time, as the train raced along its tracks. He momentary took a look at a mother and her two children, a boy and a girl. Lulled to sleep by the swaying motion of the train, her arms were around them.

Next to him, a young man in torn jeans. He was twilling a skateboard on its end. Morriss could tell he was also anxious.

“First time on the train, son?”

“A first for this train,” he replied. 

“William smiled as the young man's legs kept swinging back and forth under the seat. The board still spinning. 

“Is that Mariska Vereds on your shirt?”

“Yeah,” the youth said brightening up. “I had this silkscreen myself. She is so cool. Love that sultry voice. Rockin’ body”

William took another gaze at his watch.

“Family?”

William nodded. “You?”

“Naw. I got nobody. This is strictly a solo gig.”

He looked out the window at the darkness as the train slowed down for a stop.

“Too many stops,” he muttered as the doors opened and a woman came on board.

William smiled. The anxiousness of youth. 

“Well, alright,” he chortled. “Talk about a tight bod.”

She was tall, pale skin, with purple and white hair that fell to the small of her back. Dressed entirely in black. She was wearing a short black skirt and a black bra. Numerous piercings and tattoos dotted her skin.

“Think she be up for a go?” He said. “I would love to get her in the bathroom. See those nails.”

William managed to tear himself away from her captivating blue eyes and blood-red lips to focus on her incredibly sharp and long nails. 

“One way a girl can be appreciative of the way you are handling things on top,” he said. “Those babies digging into your back.”

  He managed to look up at the destination sign that was dark.

“Think someone would fix that.”

“What is wrong little boy,” The woman said. “Don’t you know where you are going?”

A shadow flickered across her face as the train entered a tunnel. Seeing her true face, he quickly averted his eyes from the woman. William could feel the seat vibrating from the boy’s chill.

“Enough!” The conductor said, coming from upfront “I will brook no horseplay.”

“Of course,” the woman said, crossing her legs. Her hose was sheer and also as beat up as the boy's jeans. Her panties were black mesh and showed just enough: a quick peek before his eyes turned away.

“You like fruit little boy?” 

“My cock will never be hard again,” the youth said. “Jesus.”

“Behave,” The conductor said. “I will not say it again.”

“William Morriss,” he said, extending a hand. “I am not from the talent agency, just a humble nine to fiver.”

“Clayton Reese,” the youth said, shaking his hand. “Unemployed skater.”

“Lilith,” the woman said with a smile.

Clayton started to get up from his seat.

“Remain seated while we are in motion please,” the conductor said. “This is for your safety.”

“Maybe he would like to visit the restroom,” she said with a sly snicker.

“You need to go, son?” The conductor asked.

Clayton shook his head; turned to stare back out the window.

“Ya think someone would fix that sign,” he mumbled.

William sighed inwardly. 

  This reminded him of a short story; he had to participate in back in school.

The story centered on a group of students coming in for dentition. As time passed, nobody showed up, and there was a kid asking for the time.

The teacher would always call on the most picked upon student in the whole class, to be that one asking for the time.

  One of the napping children huddled close to their mother woke up; the little girl eyed the skateboard intently.

“Ever ride on?” Clayton asked happy for the diversion.

She shook her head.

“I can show you some tricks once we stop,” he promised.

The conductor eyed his pocket watch; started down the aisles toward the next car.

 Lilith waited until he was gone, and then shifted in her seat facing Clayton.

“You just can’t keep your eyes off me, can you? She uncrossed her legs reaching down, and tearing at the net, allowing him to see a shaved vagina and two nipple piercing.

“I can show you how to ride.”

Her laughter reverted, as Clayton immediately got up and went into the car behind him, waking up the sleeping woman, who at once shielded her children’s eyes.

“Evil creature,” the woman said.

“I bore easily,” Lilith replied, looking over the woman. She was in her forties, blonde. She wore a yellow summer dress. Around her neck, a bright Celtic pendant, that dipped into her cleavage. Lilith let her eyes rest on the ample valley.

“Don’t look at me that way, harlot. I am not that way.”

“Maybe you are and don’t know it.”

“Go to Hell.”

A thin smile flashed across her lips.

“Maybe I rather see if that young man would like to hook up, she said, as the train exited the tunnel. The little girl screamed; the conductor hurried back into the car.

He scowled at the Goth female before noting the empty seat beside William.

“Where is the young man?”

“Apparently, I am too much woman for him to handle.”

“He should not be up and about,” the conductor said. “You,” he said to William,” I will need your help to track him down.”

“You need another person?”

“Yes, I will explain on the way,” the conductor said.

“Be happy to help,” William said, slightly puzzled but getting up.

They moved toward the black door.

“From here on out, you will have to listen and do whatever I tell you,” the conductor said, preparing to open the door.

“Sure,” William replied still puzzled, as the conductor quickly opened the door to madness and they stepped through.

  Immediately, intense wailing assaulted their ears. All around them was nothing but Stygian darkness.

“Where is the floor?” William cried, holding his palmed hands to his ears, as the conductor moved ahead.

“It’s there. Just keep putting one foot ahead of the other; try to stay calm and positive. Any signs of doubt and you will be pulled in.”

“Pulled into what!” He cried holding his ears.

“This is the car of Lost Souls. Tricked into the so-called light, by well-meaning mortal mediums.”

“There isn’t a light?” He said, gingerly shuffling along.

“The Hereafter is a gimmick Imps placed in the head of Earthers. Until Judgment, all Souls are sequestered, numbered, and watched. Management frowns on escapees.” 

  William was about to debate that belief, when a sudden shift in the tracks made him lose his balance, and he fell flat on his face.

Hands quickly shot of grabbing the exposed limbs and started pulling.

  The conductor pulled his watch out and looked at it.

“Oh no, we have to get out of this car.”

“Then help me!”

 The conductor turned to see William pulled in all directions.

“They are trying to pull me through the floor!”

He was starting to sweat, which made the passion worse.

He came back to William and grabbed his shoulders.

“They are looking for a way back. You fall; then they can inhabit your body. Sort of being reborn. We got to get out of here before we stop.”

“I am trying to get my arms free!”

“No, we are coming up on Limbo Station. This is where we funnel out these creatures that died a violent death.”

“It hurts!”

“If you can’t pull free, then I have no choice but to leave you.”

“I got family waiting!” He screamed as the train started to slow down.

“No, you don’t,” a cold voice said, lifting him up as easily as pulling someone from a thick bog. As this happened, a hatch in the roof slid apart.

William turned to thank whomever, but Lilith hushed him; pushed both ahead.

“I got bored.”

The three made it to the exit as a whoosh sound was heard and more non-stop wailing.

Trembling, William turned to her.

“What do you mean, no I don’t.”

She smiled.

“I am sure where you think you are heading, is a wonderful place, but, no Souls are there. No banquets in the great hall. Empty . . .”

“Until Judgment. . . I got that.”

“Don’t dawdle,” the conductor said, moving ahead. “Does this kid have a name?”

“Clayton,” William started to say; then looked back at the car they just exited.

“He was not taken,”

“How do you know?”

Lilith sneered.

“I have been here since the dawn of time. Survived countless eons and multiples deaths. In addition, had great sex and mated a few times. There isn’t anything I don’t know.”

William turned to the conductor already at the next door.” I would not rebuke her too much. She saved your hide; we might need her again.”

They entered the next car slowly. William was relieved to find it ordinary and empty, except for one lone figure, He was a male, wearing a wide brim hat pulled downward, large sunglasses; a surgical mask across his face.

“Is that?” William ventured as they walked past him.

“Yes,” the conductor replied. “He enjoys the movement of the train; finds it soothing.”

“So do I,” Lilith replied. “A great way to get your fuck on.”

“Must you?” William said.

“What are you, a virgin?”

  At the end of the car, the conductor stopped.

“What is it?” William asked.

“I don’t have access to this car. It’s kept locked at all times.”

“He couldn’t be in there then.”

“Unless he was tricked,” the conductor said, speaking into his shoulder mike.

“I don’t understand?” William started to say as he heard a click.

“Maybe you should stay here with the odd one,” Lilith said with a smile. “This is my favorite part of the tour.”

“We have been buzzed in,” the conductor said, sliding the door open, cutting off William’s remark.

A long passageway loomed before them. On either side, multiple doors became transparent. Laughter and moans heard, as shadows in all forms easily seen. Writhing bodies moved on top of each other.”

“The Lust train. I love it,” Lilith said. “All your depravity in one place.”

“Clayton!” The conductor called. “Where are you?”

“Kid!” William called.

A scream what sounded like a little girl drew William to the right side; a few doors ahead.

“Wait!” The conductor said, looking at his watch. “We can not interfere. This is the car of the Damn.”

“It’s a little girl. How can this be allowed?”

“Your senses can be tricked,” the conductor said, pulling him back. “This car is heading toward one place and one place only.”

“The more the merrier,” Lilith said.

“God help me.”

“He isn’t here. That is why I am here,” the conductor said. “To maintain order.”

Muffled cries came from further up.

“Clayton!” William said.

“. . .here. . . Hurry.”

He sounds weak,” The conductor said, moving and entering a room.

Oh no,” William breathed.

On a bed, sat a woman, with black horns out of her head. Instead of legs, she had fur-covered hooves; wearing a one-piece latex bodysuit. William counted at least five arms. Arms wove tightly wrapped around Clayton.

“Can you cry for help again,” Lilith said. “It sounds so much like the Fly.”

She hissed at the interruption; arms encircled her prey; constricting until he cried out.

“Easy,” the conductor said.

Her black mouth opened revealing long fangs, which teased and scraped Clayton’s neck.

 Both men turned to Lilith.

“Don’t look at me. I am not in the mood for a plaything.”

William stepped forward.

“She is hurting me!” Clayton said.

“Take me instead,” William said. “Let the boy go. I have experience.”

“From spoiled to rancid,” Lilith said.

She eyed him curiously.

“I am willing,” he said, crouched; moving slowly. “You can do what you want. Put whatever you want inside me. I won’t fight.”

She released Clayton who went running to the conductor.

“Get out of here!” William said as a pair of arms snaked toward him. 

Just as long sharp nails touched his arm, he began to shimmer.

“What?”

“Selfless act,” Lilith said, tapping the conductor on the shoulder. “Management.”

“Am. . .am I going there?”

“No William, but you got an upgrade in living arrangements.”

Lilith turned, as a noise caught her attention.

“Wait,” she told the conductor.

***

Back in Couch, a dazzling light filled the car as the train slowed down. The little girl and boy eagerly looked out the window at the splendid sight.

“Heaven!” they squealed as the woman turned her head.

A stunning sight, the Kingdom of God was neigh.

“I don’t see anyone,” she said, looking at the empty platform. “What is going on?”

 The two children raced to the door; as it opened, a person shooed them back inside.

“Where is the conductor,” he said, pushing his wire-frame glasses further up his hawkish nose.

“Right here,” he said, coming through the door with Clayton; pushing him into a seat.

“We had a mishap and a soul got upgraded.”

“I am Sloan,” he said, with a disapproving sniff.” I am this car’s caseworker. I am afraid you will be written up for this.”

“Then explain this?” The conductor said, throwing a green-scaled creature at him.

“A shape changer.”

“Caseworker,” a large black man said getting up. 

“Aren’t we going. . .”

“No,” Sloan said. Humans and their lore of fables. No one is permitted to even come close to the gates until due process and judgment.”

“That’s fucked up,” he said, sitting down.

“I am waiting,” the conductor said. “No one leaves this train.”

“My secret shopper,” Sloan said.

“We nearly lost a person to the damned. I will launch a counter inquiry.”

“Fine then. Everyone out of the train single file. The next person you see will direct you to a waiting bus.”

Sloan glared at the conductor as everyone dutifully got up and respected the order,

The children turned for one last glimpse, before resigning and waiting for their turn, as each person stepped forward in single file out of the train’s door.

April 23, 2021 14:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.