0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Inspirational

    Julia has always been a whimsical girl with her head in the clouds. Anything that was new and fresh would always captivate her attention but it wouldn't be long before she moved onto something different. A new adventure, a different journey would be what she called it but others would always shake their heads at her lack of dedication. It wasn't long before word got out and everybody ostracized her.

    Sitting in the corner of my room I sigh. It wasn't that I wanted to always pick up different hobbies but rather, I never felt a spark with any of them. Rugby is fun but simply too violent, painting is beautiful but too relaxing. It's not that I want to change but I want to find something I can happily spend the rest of my life doing. I don't want to miss out on the one for me simply because I was unwilling to give up another hobby. On this planet, we have a mere lifespan of 100 years at best, so why shouldn't I spend my time searching for that ultimate desire that lies within me?

    To be able to find a hobby I'm passionate about is like finding a piece of myself. I must try many different puzzle pieces to see if they match. I hold my head to my chest and curl up. Flashes of conversations float through my head.

    "Don't pay attention to her instructor, she's just here to fool around!"

    But I was very intent on learning how to sing.

    A woman points to me and tells her daughter, "Look at that wasteful girl, don't be like that okay?"

    But I had earned my money through working, and what reason is there to save?

    "Tch," a man snarls at me, "are you here to fool around or throw money away? I don't want to be in a class with a woman like this!"

    I refused to let myself cry. Refused to let their words hurt me. They did anyways. But why? Why do people judge me like that? Why do they laugh and call me stupid? Why do they brand me as wasteful? Why do they mock someone they know nothing about? All I wanted to do was to chase after my ideals. I had never harmed anyone in my pursuit.

    "Hahaha," a musky, deep male laughter sang out behind me.

    In alarm, I spin around and yell out, "Who is it!?"

    Bang, my forehead hit the wall hard and I hugged it in pain. Tears threatening to seek out. Ow, how is it possible for there to be sound behind me when I'm learning against the wall. There must be something wrong with me. I notice something wrong. There was a faint blue glow in my room. Whenever I contemplate something, I close off all the lights to find a calmness within myself. Instinctively I look up, forgetting my throbbing pain, only to find a surreal man in Taoist robes.

    My mind goes blank.

    What is a man doing in my room?

    He grins down at me. Do I fight him? Where's the closest weapon? Oh, I learned boxing! I put my fists up into a clumsy stance.

    "Who are you?!" I demand, trying to make myself sound strong.

    I had no idea what to do, I lived all alone and my phone was across the room, behind him. As good as he looks, that's no excuse for trespassing and I wouldn't be like one of those female characters who would fall in love at first sight and forget everything. That's bullshit.

    "Relax, I'm not interested in your bony body. I only look like this because that's what you mortal women like."

    Forget the fact that he looked me over and insulted my figure, what's up with the description "mortal women."

    I didn't lower my stance, "You never answered my question, ghost or whatnot. Who are you?"

    His eyebrows furrowed in displeasure, "You don't need to know about that."

    He waved his arm, as if throwing my question away.

    "I've come to make an offer with you. In this world, your spirit is unsettled at the lack of choices you have. You are displeased with the activities right?"

     "So what?!" I snarl, "What is this offer of yours? Does it warrant you coming into my home unexpectedly?"

    "I'm from another dimension."

    My jaw dropped in chock. Does this idiot take me as a fool. Who believes the fantasy world actually exists? Maybe only in fairy tales, but definitely not in real life. If he were trying to scam me, shouldn't he have come up with a better excuse?

    "Mhmm, I totally believe you."

    "Watch this," he waved this sleeve of his robe and suddenly I was levitating in midair.

    I'm flying.

    Actually flying.

    This is incredible. This is the thrill I've been looking for.

    "What is your offer? And why me?"

    "I'm willing to bring you to the other dimension because your spirit has been calling out to our world for a long time now."

    This was too good to be true.

    "And why should I believe you? How do I know that you're not taking me somewhere so you can lock me up and experiment with me or maybe you plan on selling me off at a high price when we get there?"

    "Tch," the corners of his lips twitched, evidently amused.

    "Do I need a reason to take a mortal like you? If I wanted to, I can forcibly take you and you wouldn't be able to resist. If you don't want to come then so be it, I'll leave immediately."

    "Wait wait!"

    I gave up. There was no reason for me to be in this world. I had no family, no friends, not a care in this world. If he means to sell me off then so be it. Let's just call it fate.

    "Tell me a little bit more about your dimension, and then I'll decide."

    But within my heart, I knew that I'd go with him already.

    His gaze darkens once more before he began to explain, "In our dimension, there exists a form of energy within the air called spiritual energy. It is much more abundant than it is here where the spiritual energy almost doesn't exist. By collecting this energy within our bodies, we can train ourselves. People who can collect energy are called cultivators. When you collect enough, you can break the barriers within your body and become stronger. There are ranks but others will explain to you later. Battles and adventures are numerous, and if you reach the peak, you can gain immortality and become one of the 12 gods."

    Holy, this sounds like the life I've been dreaming of. A bit lawless but filled with adventures. I would become the main character of my own story.

    "Take me with you!" I exclaim.

    This would be a decision I would never regret no matter the outcome. Rather than chasing money in this world and being bound to society's norm, I could go on an adventure, this form of living could be considered a hobby. The ending may not be a happy one but there would be nothing to regret. I had already tried almost all of the hobbies in this world so what was there to lose? I stare at the man in the red Taoist robes. He was different from what I would imagine a cultivators to look like. I would think of an old man filled with wisdom, however this man looked slightly older than me with jet black hair reaching his waist.

    I solemnly declared, "I want to go."

    Without any explanations, he waved his sleeve again and a dark hole opened up within my room illuminated by the blue glow he gave off. Abruptly he grabbed my wrist.

    "Hey!" I exclaim.

    "What are you doin- Ow!" I yell.

    This brute just cut my finger and blood was dripping profusely from it. By waving his hand, the blood droplets splashed and fell into the dark hole and before I could react, he already grabbed the back of my collar and strode into the hole.

     Crazy! Crazy! This is crazy, what's happening?! I would've never agreed had I known that he would suddenly treat me like this.

    We arrived on green plains as far as the eye could see and he threw me away as soon as we landed. My head spun and from the corner of my eye, I saw him wipe his hand on a silk handkerchief before tossing the cloth away. What the- Did he think I'm dirty!? I deeply inhaled, but before I could vent my anger on him, I suddenly felt extremely light. It felt as if I was resonating with the world.

    Damn, I feel good.

    He shook his head, "Your foundations are too poor and you've never been cleansed before, there are too many toxins within your body."

    I stared at him dumbly. He had never told my name, brought me to this world randomly, and then continued to insult me again! What kind of treatment is this?!

    "You big meanie!" I pouted, unable to vent my frustrations because my life was literally in his hands, what if he got angry and decided to kill me.

     "Viktor. You can call me Viktor. I'm going to bring you back to the temple."

    Great. This guy answered one of my questions and then left me with a bunch more. What in the world is a temple? Why are we going to the temple? What is happening? I cry internally.

    I stare with the largest eyes possible trying to make myself smaller and seem more pitiful as 11 pairs of watchful eyes stare at me. Why are they looking at me like I'm a monkey at the zoo? I'm not extraordinarily beautiful or ugly. I don't look that different from them…

    "She's so pure and untainted!" One of the three women comment.

    "I want her as my disciple!"

    "Go away! She's mine, I can already imagine how awesome it would be to teach her runes!"

    "Hmph, I bet she'll like arrays much better."

    "Ha, your runes and arrays can't compete with my alchemy! Of course she'd want to learn to make pills!"

    I stood there in shock as the eleven people conversed. This was different from my past where people only insulted me. I was being praised.

    There were 4 evidently older people, with white hair, dressed in sky blue robes. Of them one was a woman, there was a soft twinkle in her eyes when she stared at me.

    I turn around and stare back at Viktor, "Viktor," I whisper in an attempt to understand the situation.

    All falls silent around me. What went wrong? Was I not supposed to say anything? Did I break a rule?

    One of the men smile, "Ho, so I see you've already been taken and we've been fighting for nothing."

    I'm in total confusion, "Taken? How? Why? Where?"

    He gently explains, "When you call one of the 12 gods by their names if you're not a god, that means you've been recognized as their disciple."

    My jaw goes slack. What kind of rule was that?!

    "Wait! You're misunderstanding, in my past dimension, calling each other by their names was a form of address!" I frantically wave my arms.

    How could I possibly stand always being beside Viktor. He'd probably eat me before anything else!

    One of the old men waves me towards Viktor and I floated at him, "Well, Viktor knows the rules and he gave you permission so you'll be fine."

    "Follow me," was Viktor's curt response.

    Great. The only thing I understood was that this temple was the home to the 12 gods Viktor had initially mentioned and somehow I ended up as his disciple. I didn't mean to ask for this when I wanted his name. I cry again internally.

    Walking through the winding corridors and passing through a massive garden, we arrived in front of a large pair of doors with red dragons painted across. They looked extremely real, almost as if they were truly flying in front of me. The doors opened after Viktor placed his palm on the wall. I got to admit, that was extremely cool. This place was simply gorgeous. I mean I shouldn't have expected any less from the home of the 12 gods but to me it was a completely new experience.

    "Go sit in the bath," Viktor points, "I'll be back soon."

    "Bath~?"

    The look in his eyes tells me I'm not allowed to ask questions.

    I walk and sit in the bathtub waiting for my impeding fate. It wasn't like I could stop it so I might as well accept what will happen next. As I wait, I admire his bathroom. It was very similar to the ones from Earth, there were taps however, it could be seen that the water which was used was extremely pure and when I drank some of it, it had a sweet taste. How refreshing! I deeply inhale again and feel the environment gathering towards me. Everything in this new world was simply too cool!

    Viktor returned with a menacing gaze, "Eat this and endure the pain."

    He held a deep purple pill to my face. I accepted it with both hands. It was very small and seemed to contain the entire galaxy within. Shimmers of lightning occasionally ran across it. Before I could carefully analyze it, Viktor waved his hand and the pill entered my mouth.

    "ARGH!" I yelled out in pain.

    The pill burnt the insides of my mouth and ran rampant within me. It felt like I was being burnt inside out. My bones were melting and my muscles seemed to be reverting into liquid. The pain was uncontrollable. Maybe this was what it was like to be burnt alive. How cruel.

    "You can't faint or you will die." A voice tells me from the outside.

    My eyes are tightly shut and my fists clenched. That evil guy! He meant to kill me! Hatred flashes through my head before it is buried by the feeling of pain. Forget it, I'll attack him after I survive this. Nothing is more important than life.

    "Endure!" The voice calls out again, it is surprisingly soothing.

    I slowly notice that after the pain passes there is a slight wave afterwards that heals and reconstructs everything before the heat wave burns me in pain once again. I'm being reconstructed! I grit my teeth until gnashing sounds can be heard. It was excruciatingly painful. Tearing and healing, tearing and healing continues to occur within me. Hours passed, no it may be mere minutes or even seconds. I had long lost track of time. Soon after, the pain slowly eased. It became less painful and more warming. Everything seemed clear around me. I opened my eyes and discovered Viktor covering his nose with another handkerchief. A putrid smell fills my nose.

    I see black gimmick all around me and can't help but frown. Viktor also leaves the bathroom without a word. Oh! So he meant for me to shower. As I help myself up from my seated position, I notice that nothing aches anymore and I feel cleaner than ever. Quickly washing myself off. I can't help but anticipate what the future will hold. There is no longer the resentment towards Viktor for shoving the pill down my throat.

    I find a set of white Taoist robes just outside the bathroom and I quickly change into them finding that they are the perfect fit. Quietly I wander back to the common area and find Viktor sitting on a small bench painting the blossoms outside. It looks very much like a scene from an ancient movie. I stare quietly. He must've noticed me already.

    After a period of time, he waves me over and tosses me some books:《A Guide to Cultivation》, 《The Meridians》, 《Breathing and Circulation Techniques》, 《Using Spiritual Energy to Attack》. They all seem extremely old and worn but I couldn't wait to understand this world better and so began my journey in this new dimension, the era of cultivation!

January 23, 2021 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.