0 comments

Thriller Suspense Drama

Hank got off the plane and took a breath of relief. His flight was 48 hours and the person next to him wasn’t exactly easy to deal with. All he wanted to do now was go and relax alone in his hotel room then enjoy the rest of his vacation for the next two weeks.

He took a taxi to his hotel. He took in the sight of it. In the Caribbean breeze, the red letters flashed against the night sky. He walked into the very fancy lobby and went to the register to check-in.

“I’m here to check in for Walters,” Hank said to the register lady.

“Hank is it?” she questioned.

“Yes it is” he responded cooly.

“Sorry sir but there is also another reservation for the same room, do you happen to know a Darrel Phillps?”

“No, I don’t”

“Well, then I’m sorry to say both of you are going to have to share a room.”

Hank squinted in confusion.

“I have to share a room with a stranger.”

“Yes that is the case all the other rooms are booked I’m afraid”

Hank nodded still staring at the receptionist. He took the key and went up to the room.

“So much for being alone” hank mumbled under his breath.

When he finished unpacking he heard a knock on the door. He went up to open it. 

“Hey, you must be Hank,” the man said in a smooth deep voice.

“Yeah, and you’re Darrel I suppose?” Hank questioned.

“That’s me,” Darrel said while striking a pose.

After Darrel and Hank clarified their boundaries and space they decided to make the best of their mellow situation.

“So tell me about yourself, Hank,” Darrel said optimistically,

“Well, you know I’m usually just running her,e and there not settled”

“Oh,”  Darrel responded, “I’m an acting kind of guy so same with me, always here and there.”

The next morning when Darrel went out to explore the place Hank took the time to hide all his ‘toys’ before he went out as well. 

When he got back Darrel still wasn’t back. He heard a weird noise coming from the bathroom. Hank went to check it out. When he peeked into the room he saw the receptionist from the day before. 

“What are you doing here?” he asked her sternly.

“did you think you were the only one with the KAP on this island, we have agents everywhere” she cooed?

Hank took his pocket knife out and when he took a step into the bathroom she took out a pocket knife of her own. She was just about to stab Hank when He spun behind her quickly twisted her arm and took her knife then he stabbed her with both knives. He just stared at her for a second then threw her in the closet, Not caring if Darrel found out.

Hank’s somewhat peaceful nap was ruined by a screaming Darrel. 

“WHY IS THERE A DEAD BODY IN THE CLOSET!” he screeched.

Hank looked up from the tv without any response, there was something about an airplane murder on.

“Seriously Hank,” Darrel said worriedly, “why”

Hank got up from the couch and walked over to where Darrel was standing.

“Well Darrel, It seems you have figured out the truth, I am part of KAP, and I am responsible for the dead body in the closet, and I am also responsible for you finding out,” He pulled out the same pocket knife he used to kill he, receptionist.

Darrel took a step back, not lifting his eyes from the pocket knife in Hank’s hand.

“What’s KAP” Darrel questioned.

“Kill as please” Hank sneered while slowly advancing on the man in front of him.

Darrel bumped into the Counter desperately looking for a way out, Hank now had him cornered. Darrel swooped down to the ground attempting to get behind Hank and run for it, But Hank stuck out his leg tripping him instead. 

“You can’t escape this one, I can’t let anyone know what I am” Hank snarled at him.

“I-I saw-swear I-I’ll N-Never t-tell anyone” Darrel whimpered.

“I can’t trust nobody, and if someone finds out I finish them, can’t let a soul out of the club know” 

Hank stabbed Darrel once in the stomach and Darrel scream loud enough for the whole island to hear. Then Hank stabbed him again in the back and leg, he then rolled him under the table and covered it. Hank walked out of the room with his stuff and checked out of the hotel.

Later when Hank was long gone, The police stormed into the room with Darrel still there.

“Who’s here, show yourself, and put your hands up!” the police screamed. Darrel whimpered from under the table. The police got him from under and gasped when they saw his condition.

“Somebody get an ambulance this man needs it” One officer yelled.

“Yessir” the other responded instantly.

“Hank W-Walters” Darrel whimpered. 

“Who’s that boy” The officer questioned.

“H-he’s with a club called K-K.A.P he did this” And with that Darrel returned to his slumber. The officer wrote down everything Darrel just reported to him.

“Where that ambulance” the officer questioned.

“Right outside sir”

“Bring him out then”

Hank got off the plane and took in the scent of the warm California air.

“That was a much-needed vacation,” he said to himself.

When he got outside the airport he was met with a whole squadron of cops and even the FBI.

“Hands up” they screamed at him.

Hank did as they ordered. Then one came and cuffed his hands behind him. They threw him into the back of a car hard.

Later they brought Hank into the interrogation room.

“Now tell me about this KAP thing,” the detective asked him.

“It’s a club we kill people who need to be killed” he responded cooly.

“That receptionist at the hotel-”

“she was also part of the club and in my defense, she tried killing me first,” Hank said cutting him off.

The officer cleared his throat and sat across from Hank.

“Why’d you hurt Darrel, he didn’t do anything,” The detective said harshly.

“He figured out, and no one can know about who’s in the club,” Hank replied sternly.

“Well, now everyone knows, so all that for nothing” the detective chuckled.

“You only know me as the only member, not the other millions of people so it  does still have a purpose”

“In time we will get all the info we need, so you don’t have to worry, we’ll make this on the top of our list” with that the detective left the room and two officers entered the room and took Hank back to his cell.

That night Darrel woke up with a jolt. It took him a moment to realize he was in the hospital. The incident with Hank left him with nightmares. He lied there thinking about what happened, constantly replaying it in his head. All he wanted was to have a peaceful vacation away from cameras and fans but he got something a lot worse, and the trauma would last a lifetime. He’d probably just take a therapy session or something when he got back. And with that, he went back into his rather uncomfortable sleep.

February 28, 2021 16:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.