0 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Drama

Today is no ordinary day, but a day I was sent to a boarding school, far away from where I was born and raised. At this young age, I was scared, and I missed my parents.

I missed the girly barbies, I missed Lucy, my lovely Shepperd dog, I missed my nanny, my childhood friends, my favourite piano, violin, and my ukulele. I missed the wonderful kitchen where there are so many food I could eat, I miss the mango tree in the front yard of my house where I can taste the most juicy mangos.

All of a sudden, I was sent to this institution, where all the horrible things seem to about to happen. I went to the school to sign in, and I met two girls who were so nice to me and they invited me to join their little gang. Although I was a super shy girl, but I accepted their invitation. I was surprised that they were nice because this strange place was like an origin of nightmare to me. I was taught so many brainless tricks like buying snacks from behind the high walls, using cellphones by bribing the dorm manager and paying the bookstore owner to get them illegal stuffs from the outside. I came from a little village where people are genuinely pure and don’t have many cunning thoughts, so I was kind of scared and surprised at first with these city people. Soon enough they found that I was a poor little girl whose parents sent me to this school against my will, they abandoned me and looked for other interesting people to play with.

In this school, I didn’t get a lot of disappointments actually, because I didn’t even expect this experience to be good. None of my parents are well-educated, they sent me to this elite school with the hope that I could be different from them. As people in their age always say, education is a good way to escape from the lower class and advance to higher class in the society. As a child, I honestly didn’t have a concept about social class and I was not smart enough to deal with people with political mind. They tell too many lies as my grandpa said, who was a soldier fought in many countries like Afghanistan, Israel, Egypt and Cyprus. He said, he never like politics and being a politician, although himself was a high-ranked Military Officer.

I was a very quiet and shy girl who didn’t like presenting myself and felt very reluctant about strange things. I constantly felt being bullied by my classmates even though I think they didn’t mean to be. They were mostly from well-off families with a lot of pocket money. Their lavish lifestyle were things that I could never comprehend. Some students like me were happy as long as the food they offered from the canteen were excellent, the bedtime were promised, and we were safe and weren’t getting any hurt.

We were told that we had to follow a very strict daily schedule, including getting up at six o’clock, followed by running, breakfast by seven thirty to start our first lesson, then followed by classes and homework time until eleven o’clock in the evening. I didn’t really feel like having a life in this school, except the moments when we had some chances to dress up to perform, sometime there would be some sport competitions for our class. That’s pretty much it. I didn’t even know there was a big library where students could borrow with our student card until the last semester.

Luckily, I was a true bookworm and I liked studying. The school used to have a long corridor for posting higher level students’ articles which I enjoyed reading them as I finished my breakfast and lunch. This is when I developed a personality that I liked to be alone when no one can interrupt me while thinking. I feel kind of sad for myself when I could have been a totally optimistic girl and well-rounded person if I didn’t go to a boarding school like this away from my parents and hometown. However, there is something good in this school, which is the time they gave me to develop my brain and learn new knowledge was abundant while most of my peers were just dating and doing a lot of mindless stuffs.

I had been through so much in this school, I used to be a very carefree person in my little village where there were not many temptations and desires corrupted in it. People loved their jobs and their families, and they helped each other. In this school, people were selfish and always thinking about themselves and what they could obtain from the other people. There were so many messy things going on in this school like briberies, student federation corruptions and discrimination from teachers. Some teachers even ranked their students by asking what career their parents worked for a living, what cars they were driving to school and how much pocket money they got from their parents each month. This was a totally sick environment and I felt so pity for those people who paid so much money to just get into this political private school.

The only one thing I appreciate from this school was that, I greatly appreciate my parents’ love for me to go to this expensive school. With their great hope and love, I developed a lot of good discipline which deviate myself from the others such as getting up early to read, and developed a habit in reading and trying to learn in my own pace. However, I would confess that went to this school was a mistake they made because being away from parents were the worst childhood one could get in life and without parents’ unconditional love but the bullying from strangers were very scary. I was trying to cry but never have the energy, as I was too exhausted trying to survive. 

July 16, 2021 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.