0 comments

East Asian Fantasy Fiction

It was Emely's last year in high school. Sometimes it was boring for her to do all her subject assignments day in and day out. She thought of joining a pen pal club to spend her free time answering letters from pen friends. Letters came by trickles at the first month but soon the school mailbox was full of letters sent to her. She tried to answer them all but later on she noticed her allowance was almost spent for stamps so she began to choose who are her pen friends to be amusing and interesting. One of them comes from a well known family in their municipality who owns a Sugar Refinery and Carlos looks boyish in his picture , He was nice to her who was very interested to meet her inviting her to come and visit their place. This gave Emily some form of bewilderment thinking how far Carlos place was. Emily had to cross miles traveling on land and may ride an airplane to visit Carlos. She didn't give much attention to the travel plan even if she would have time to go there when their schoolyear ends. . Besides how can she raise the amount for her travel when she had only an exact amount to spend during the week and and a little extra to buy stamps. She didn't tell it to Carlos about her situation but she told him she was very busy preparing her application for admission to college, Her next choice was an engineering student attending university in the Metropolitan City. Sofronio looked mature in his school uniform and seem responsible enjoying a scholarship in order to finish his studies. He preferred to communicate with someone he didn't meet at all a total stranger to let him know who she was. Emily at her age was innocent about boy girl relationships but she held fantasies about meeting his Prince Charming. How could she find him in the world that to write letters might lead her to the one who appears in her dreams. The one who would care for her and make her happy. she tried to imagine how to keep one of her penfriends to be her one and only and focus her eyes to him. Carlos seldom wrote her when she didn't accept his invitation. Emily thought she was not his type or he was looking for someone who had the same financial situation as he was. Then Carlos and Emily no longer communicate to each other. Emily thought Sofronio would keep her because he told her that she was the one he really love and she was his inspiration to achieve high marks and to be an honor student. This made Emily's dream to become his future partner to be with him while they will go to the same university after she received her acceptance letter from the university. Emily knows pretty well she will make good in her studies. At the opening of the schoolyear she was expecting to meet Sofronio to assist her in her registration but he didn't show-up. Emily was a little bit disappointed but it was not long as she kept on receiving letters from Daniel whoassed the entrance examination to go for training in San Diego California to serve in the U.S. Navy. It was very nice to exchange photographs in his U.S. Navy uniform. Emily sent him a native dress worn as a national costume. Emily was very much concern how Daniel is adjusting to the situation how they are being treated as foreigners. Emily doesn't remember what Daniel told him but she thought he might have misunderstood her not hearing from him since then. Emily's dreams were crashed. Feeling down to lost Daniel expecting they could build a loving and strong relationship to be together in the future, to have a stable and happy life when Daniel will come back and marry her but that illusion are all gone like water going down the drain. Emily is very discouraged to find another penfriend or even to meet a man afraid of being rejected again. She concentrated on her studies aiming high to be one of the topnotchers of the country's board examination for nurses. She was employed right away to be a nurse in a big hospital in the city. One day while she was going through the patient's profile she came across the name of Daniel. It says he is on vacation but he contracted some virus and needs hospitalization to get rid of it. Emily is not sure if it was Daniel whom she exchange letters with. She rushed to the room number of the patient. She is surprised to meet the patient whom she presumed he was her friend. If she is not mistaken he is really his penfriend because they looked the same. It is only their surname which is different. Emily didn't say anything about the long distance relationship with her penpal Daniel. Daniel shows interest to Emily by talking to her telling about his vacation and his intention to meet someone before he will go back to the United States. Emily can't believe that he could meet someone like Daniel her former acquaintance only in letters. Now here he is physically, the same in looks and the same in occupation. How could that become true. That is beyond Emily's imagination to meet Daniel looking handsome well mannered and disciplined. That night after they met Emily begin to imagine again how she will care for Daniel just incase she proposes to her. Many times she read about military weddings that are celebrated in a camp or privately. This seems to be a whirlwind romance between the two when Emily wears her engagement ring and the wedding is set within two months. Emily is excited unbelievably enjoying the company of Daniel who has prepared and willingly ready to get married. This time Emily started to think. She is now bothered of what she heard from others that navy personnels has a lady in every port being lonely when they are at sea. The loneliness that may occur when they only come for vacation every two years and the longest vacation is two months. Emily brush off her thoughts not to spoil their moments of being together but shower him with her love and laughter .that they must have to enjoy their newly found status as a married couple. Many family members friends and relatives attended their wedding at a five star hotel in the summer capital where the well known ambience is the cool breeze and away from the hassle and bustle of a hot busy and noisy athmosphere. The families of the couple really enjoyed to come together and united as one family. The guests are also billeted in expensive suites. Emily and Daniel decided to stay at the hotel to spend their honeymoon. They both enjoyed the city of honeymooners going out to visit beutiful and scenic spots in the City of Flowers. walking down the trail and taking pictures o indegenous people selling their artistic crafts. What would Emily ask for when Daniel came to her not by mistake but by Fate.

April 03, 2024 00:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.