21 comments

Fiction Adventure Sad

Day 2


A rabbit runs along a trail watched from above. I am the rabbit. A rabbit who runs faster and faster from a hawk I can't see but can feel closing in on me. I search for shelter but cannot find a hiding place...


The vibration of the mobile phone on my right shoulder snaps me out of the daydream. I pull it out of its pocket in my running vest, and answer while jogging along the trail etched into the high western slope of Mt Fuji.


“Hi Mom. Sorry. I’m running right now.” 


“We,” my parents always speak using the plural pronoun, “just wanted to make sure everything is safe with you over there.”


A few inches to the side of my feet there is a 50-foot drop off.


“Everything’s fine here, don’t worry." I think about why moments when we risk our lives are so exhilarating.


“Your Uncle used to run before he had hip surgery…”


While she informs me about things that happened to my Uncle over a decade ago, ahead I see boulders that I will need to scramble over with my hands.


“Mom, I need to call you back.”


“Ok, Todd. Take care.”


I hang up and slide the phone back into one of the pockets in my running vest and tighten it very securely. There’s a chance I may not be upright at all times today. 


And why am I spending 3 days and two thousand dollars to run around Mt Fuji? After spending a year at home barely going out except for morning runs after my breakup with Denise, mother said I needed to do something with my life. At a loss for what to do, I kept in mind the one activity I still enjoyed doing, spent the afternoon googling, and on a whim, signed up for an ultra marathon, one as far away from my hometown as i could imagine.


**


I take large steps up the irregularly sized boulders, searching for handholds in case my feet slip. While climbing through this long stretch of seemingly endless obstacles, Jane catches up with me. 


Jane is late middle age. Her blonde hair might be called wind swept if it wasn’t tied into a ponytail beneath her running visor. Faint lines are etched into her taunt facial features that appear to have seen decades of exposure to the elements on the trail.


“My ITB is sore,” she says.


“Sorry to hear that,” I say, “What's an ITB?”


“It's a hip muscle, and I just recovered from a hamstring pull. You are young so you don’t have these sort of problems yet.”


”I have actually just started,” I say, “any tips for running from your experience?”


“For running, no.” She looks into the mist in the distance then back at me. ”But for life, I’ve learned you can’t control other people’s actions, you can only manage your own .”


We run together for a while. She’s very cheerful and smiles as she talks about her running training, various injuries she’s recovered from and the races she run. On the smoother sections of the trail between the boulders, her tight, slightly off-balanced gait is surprisingly steady and fast. Gradually I tire and am not able to keep up with her and she advances ahead into the distance on the rocky slope.


**


After a while the boulders become smaller and then, by the mechanics of some ancient geological process, disappear again under the trail. I'm soon running through a grassy field and regaining a steady tempo. There are 14 miles remaining to cover today. I’d normally be embarrassed to be running through a field with an A4 paper with a number on it pinned to the front of my shirt, but there’s no one around to watch except for the other people in the race. From behind me, I see runner number 34 approaching. All of us have been introduced to each other in the pre-race meetings and dinner and breakfast.


“Do you need any water?” Emiko asks as we continue running.


As we are on the trail for 6 or 7 hours each day, conversations seems to help everyone pass the time.


“No, but thank you.”


“I’ve never really talked to you before,“ she says, “so tell me everything.”


I'm flattered to have her full attention for the next two hours. I can’t help but think how much more attentive she is than my ex-girlfriend Denise.


“How many brothers and sisters do you have?” Emiko is still asking questions.


“One brother and one sister”


“How old are they?”


“2 years older and 4 years younger.”


“Where are they now?”


“One is in California. Another is in North Carolina.”


I’ve answered questions for hours, but Emiko hasn’t really said anything about herself. I make a gambit to make the conversation deeper.


“A lot of runners are getting away from things, running helps with my anxiety.” I say and then ask, “How about you?”


“We don’t talk about those sort of topics when we are running, Todd,” Emiko says, “now what other races have you signed up for?”


“The Copper Canyon 50 is next for me.”


After going over our running plans and history for the next 5 miles. Emiko bids farewell and says,“I'm going to catch up with Jane, have a nice race.”


“Thanks!” 


“Be nice to her,” she says, “she had cancer last year.”


“Oh.”


I’ve learned more information about more people in the last two days than I have in the entire previous year.


**


“I saw you two up there above me on the hill,” Hans says, “you had a good chat with Emiko?”


“Yeah, sure. I guess so.”


“She asks everyone the same questions,” Hans says, smiling knowingly. I sense a message not to overthink the attention I received from her.


Hans is of the same medium stature and build as I am. Somehow, this make him feel nonjudgmental and easier to talk to. I ask, “What else do you do for fun besides running?”


“I ski in the winter, and surf in the summer, I’ll spend a few months in Whistler this winter,” Hans says, “What else do you do?”


“I’m trying to write. Maybe about running”


“Running is great, but its not the most interesting thing to write about,” he says.


Hans is far faster than I am, and soon races off ahead. And I’m now alone running through the wilderness of Japan. Outside the occasional rustle of the wind through the trees, it is extremely quiet. The course is marked by blue plastic cord tied into ribbons on bushes and trees at regular intervals. The ribbons feel like my only connection to civilization for several hours.


**


Later that afternoon, I see Phil a few hills behind me. I’m slowing down after foolishly starting off too fast this morning. Soon, he catches up with me. Phil has well groomed hair, a closely trimmed white beard and a disarming smile. After having run 17 miles of todays segment of the three-day race, his enthusiasm is refreshing, reinvigorating and slightly addictive to be around.


“Isn’t this scenery amazing!” He says, “I’m pumped to be here,” 


“This is great, isn’t it!” I reply.


“I was taking photos. I’m not racing, this is more about a trip to Japan,” he says, “No matter what happens, We are going to smile today.”


Runners as a group emote a certain level of mandated happiness. My legs and back are hurting in at least two or three places. I’m sure Phil’s are too.


The trail is now descending through thick grass which hides rocks underneath, and I need to focus on each step, so I don’t say much back to Phil for a while. I’ve lost the springiness to my stride hours ago and stumbled a few times and have definitely hit the wall. My body has run out of carbohydrates.


As I jump down a large step, I feel my shoe slide on a surprisingly slippery rocky surface. I might normally be able to recover, but today I helplessly flail my arms around. My other leg doesn’t come into place in time and I hit the ground sideways and tumble down several steps.


I find myself suddenly laying on my back, looking up at Phil.


“Hey bud, Are you ok?”


“I think I’m fine,” I reply. There’s no obvious pain, but I won’t really be sure I’m not injured until I stand up.


“You need shoes with better traction.”


I stand up, I’m shaken but ok and should be able to get moving again.


“Look at the tread in my Solomon trail shoes,” he says. I see deep grooves in the shoes he lifts up to show me.


This information about new shoe brands is not really helping my situation right now. I make sullen comments until he stops talking about shoes.


Five minutes later, Phil falls. It's a minor fall, but I believe I might have willed him into it by thinking about it.


A dark thought bubbles up inside my mind and begins to take shape. No one likes me here. They are just tolerating me. I’ll do my best to blend in and not annoy anyone until I can get away from them.


I remember that negative thinking is a symptom of low blood sugar. There’s only 3 miles left so I guzzle the energy drink I’ve been saving. After a few minutes I feel lighter. In fact, soon I’m also feeling much happier. I don’t know why I’ve been so negative today. After the race, I will write a gratitude list. I will say how lucky I am to have a mother that calls me when I’m away travelling. How nice it is to have fellow runners show interest in my life. And having a running buddy Phil, who even if he doesn’t always say the right thing at the right time, adjusted his own pace to run alongside me for an hour.


Today’s finish line at the Shiraito checkpoint is not far below. As I approach, I see a crowd cheering at the finish line. It feels like a dream the 26 mile run today is about to be over. As the other runners clap, I scan my wristband and then congratulate everyone for finishing.


**


Day 3


Before breakfast, runners have their blood pressure and temperature measured by the race medical officer. The race webpage says they hired a first aid worker to keep us safe. Someone says it's for insurance purposes.


After breakfast, at the pre-race briefing, James the race director stands at the front of the dining room.


“I have an announcement,” he says earnestly. “One of our members, Jane, has been taken to the hospital this morning. Please keep her in your thoughts on the course today.”


Everyone looks down at the ground. Later we find out that she had a pulmonary embolism in her sleep and didn’t make it. On the course today, there’s not as much chit-chat. Phil tells me this was Jane’s 23rd year of running ultra-marathons. 


I remember what Jane told me about managing my own life, and after returning home to Colorado, I sign up for the next race I can find, a 50 miler closer to home in Helena Montana.

October 13, 2022 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Zelda C. Thorne
17:25 Oct 18, 2022

Hi Scott! Really enjoyed this, it flowed well, steadily, just like the pace of his running. I felt sorry for him with all these people passing by because that is very discouraging when it happens! Inspiring story. After reading this, I want to go have a run! But it's dark so maybe in the morning...

Reply

18:19 Oct 18, 2022

Thanks so much, and happy to hear you enjoyed it. Running is great for energy and being positive! hope you get some good weather there for a run sometime soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
00:26 Oct 17, 2022

When I finished this story, I felt like I could go check “exercise” off my to-do, but dang it… no actually calories were burned in the reading of this story. Your writing is smooth and flows so well, and I really enjoyed the cast of characters here—they all felt like very real people. Favorite sentence: “Runners as a group emote a certain level of mandated happiness.” Well done, and best of luck!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
03:13 Oct 16, 2022

I enjoyed this. Like others have pointed out, you *can* write a compelling story about running :) Our MC's clearly hit a low. Possibly depression or self destruction is looming, but instead of submitting he throws himself into the one thing he still likes - running. I suspect he couldn’t really articulate why he did it, other than it was a feeling he *had* to. Maybe a kind of self-defense against despair. By the way, casually signing up for an ultramarathon seems insane! But maybe he's already a *very* avid runner, and it might be reflect...

Reply

18:04 Oct 16, 2022

Thx Michal! Happy to hear you saw a bit of an upward journey in the MC's through this. This story turned out to be a challenge, as it all started out as snippets of character profiles of runners I've met through the years, before trying to tie a story arc through it. I think I'll have another go at a one scene two characters story again sometime soon;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
MB Campbell
21:43 Oct 15, 2022

Scott, well written. The dialogue and flow of the character's thoughts is steady. There is a balance, as you know best, between the exertion of the running and talking. Thanks

Reply

08:16 Oct 18, 2022

Thanks Mb! I wish I had more time to stitch the characters together but happy to hear you enjoyed it. And I found myself on some long runs talking actually takes my mind off the exertion and makes it a lot easier.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
08:36 Oct 15, 2022

Hey Scott! First of, great story you've got here! You can indeed write about running. The only thing that kept bothering me at the back of my mind was, that how come they were in Japan and every single character was a foreigner with an English name? Apart from a couple place names and being far from home, the location didn't seem to matter -but I have no clue how these marathons are organised and I guess I just got too excited for a strong set in Japan! #BestDestination So that's on me, but yeah, still confused about everyone being American...

Reply

09:02 Oct 15, 2022

Thx for reading, and what you're saying is very true. I had a few paragraphs about Japan and Japanese (after all I had lived in Japan for 9 years) but that I couldn't quite fit it to the narrative smoothly, I think I'll have another go, and try to add some more local color while I still have time to edit. Maybe I will change the names of the other runners slightly to hint they are not all american as well. Thx for commenting and happy you enjoyed reading.

Reply

Riel Rosehill
09:14 Oct 15, 2022

9 years, wow! I envy you, it used to be my dream to move there! But yes, then you can definitely add some specific details... Though I can see how it'd be tricky with a story about running! Best of luck 😃

Reply

22:15 Oct 15, 2022

Its def a fascinating country. I did do a Japanese tv sitcom story a few months ago.. I'll write someting like this again when the prompts fit. trains perhaps.. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/j9t3k0/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:25 Oct 15, 2022

“Running is great, but its not the most interesting thing to write about,” he says. A story to prove him wrong!

Reply

07:07 Oct 15, 2022

thx! my attempt at meta humor at least;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
01:10 Oct 15, 2022

Current edition: he's running away. He's paying to be alone but everyone is so social. When is the last time you started a running story and read the complete story to completion? Frankly, it's like writing characters in a cave, underwater, in a place where the action will usually go in a circle because no one can escape. The story actually personifies escapism. Jane is running with cancer. Blondie uses the long distance runs for social needs. And they are all in Japan, world runners? But Blondie was holding out. She has reserved enough ...

Reply

06:46 Oct 15, 2022

Thanks for the kindest review ever. Running through life and boulders alone together!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ifan Fin
21:43 Oct 14, 2022

Okay, there are some typos as of the time I'm writing this, someone pointed them out already, so I won't. The problem with typos is that they mainly make a text look worse than it actually is. I wouldn't say they are crucial to the understanding of the story, because per usual, it is easy to decipher what the author meant. Now, the more pressing issue is what's going on with the plot. I myself am not a great plotter, but what I think has to be taken care of is always how different fragments (and not any fragments, but essential parts) are ...

Reply

22:04 Oct 14, 2022

Thanks so much. Those are really deep and insightful observations. I had visions of various characters and conversations that dropped into this story. But they are lacking a deeper common thread. The main journey from being a loner to becomign more social and optimistic is there, I'll try to figure out how to tie that into every character he talks to more so they each give him a little push somehow on his journey. Thx again for your insights. I'll sleep on this and hopefully have some major edits tomorrow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
08:28 Oct 14, 2022

This is the best running story I have read this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Craig Westmore
00:43 Oct 14, 2022

Hey Scott. You've got a good premise for a story. The narrative voice rolls along well and kept me reading. But you do need to address the character arc. What does the MC want to prove by running this race? (get his girlfriend back, do something her new bf can't do, prove he can be social with others) Try to connect his biggest desire with the reason for traveling to Japan and running the race. I was intrigued at the end of day two when he says, "No one likes me here. They are just tolerating me." This definitely needs to be explored more ...

Reply

07:30 Oct 14, 2022

Thx craig. I was stuck and felt I was missing something in the stories overall theme, that's a good idea to deep his conversation with Jane and connect it to better explained MC's goals/yearnings to give it a more positive arc. I'll reedit this and the rabbit scene today. I often have dreams of being chased and heard they are quite common, I'll try to make the hawk symbolize something in the MC's life I think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:08 Oct 13, 2022

Still editing.. any suggestions or comments would be super useful.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.