20 comments

Crime Friendship

A child wanders the streets in Hosu City, Japan. They’re about 8 years of age and cold. They wear a black shirt that reaches just below their waist and a dark purple skirt. A small and stuffed backpack weighs down their shoulders while they carry a worn blanket. The rain pours heavily and drowns their silver-blue hair. They look around a spot a figure in an alley across the street. It looks like a person...and they’re lying on the ground. They look as small as the other child, so give it a try.

They quickly sprint across the crosswalk to the alley. As they guessed, the figure is a child just like them. They are sitting down with hir eyes closed.

“Are they dead?” the child asks, but quickly dismisses the thought when they see the other child’s chest slowly rise and fall.

“They’re asleep” they realize and sit down next to them. They remembered hearing something about how snuggling against someone can keep them both warm. They scooted closer as the other child’s head rested on their shoulder. So they rested their hand on the other child’s head. To finish it off, they threw the blanket over the both of them.

And with that, a solid friendshi- no, a family was born.

***6 Years Later***

“Robert Lee, flew here across the sea from America, very interesting. He’s here for a very important meeting with Orison Corp. No doubt some dumb sales pitch to scam more people out of hard-earned money” I monologued, strolling the roof of the building. I threw my shotgun into the air and caught it. Up in the air, and catch. Up in the air, and catch.

“Though the point isn’t if he’s a good person or not. If I was so morally upset about my targets, I’d be the worst assassin ever.” I continued. I walked over to the edge of the roof and sat down, letting my legs swing over the edge.

“Plus there’s a healthy price for his head. And of course, I do everything for the money” I laughed to myself.

I looked over at my watch; it was 7:00. Time for the assassination. I yawned as I sat up from my position. I rummaged through my black duffel bag and pulled out my rifle. I didn’t exactly need it to help make my shot precise, just because it was a more long-range weapon.

Once the gun was set up and loaded, I looked down from the building. Instantly, it was like I was using a pair of binoculars. I could see Mr. Lee clearly, even though I was at least 500 feet away from him. My quirk was perfect for the job.

Mr. Lee was talking with some other men before waving them goodbye. A silver looking target thing appeared on his chest, and I smirked. 

“Night, night Mr. Lee…” I whispered as I pulled the trigger.

The bullet went right through his heart, where the target appeared. Another amazing and clean kill for me. I placed my sniper and everything else I used back in the duffel bag before slinging it over my shoulder.

Bang. The door to the roof swung open as 3 officers ran out with guns drawn. Some pro-hero was with them as well, but I usually don’t pay them any mind.

“Oh yay, I have company!” I exclaimed.

“月玲子、ついにあなたを見つけました,” the pro-hero said, all hero-like.

“Yeah yeah, I let you catch me this time. And it’s not even like you caught me, I just wanted to have a nice chat.” I replied. I moved over the edge of the roof and stood on the railing.

“ギグはアップしています。 残酷な暗殺の日々は終わりました” the hero responded in a booming voice.

“That’s cute, but you’re no All-Might. Now if you’ll excuse me, I got places to be. As they say in France, au revoir baiseurs” I laughed as I leaned back and fell off the building.

(Read in Present Mic’s voice) 

Reiko Tsuki! Her quirk, “Target On!”. Her eyes are basically like sniper lenses, she can see anyone’s weak spot, which gives her amazing aim and makes her a skilled fighter. If she misses a shot, she did it on purpose.

The wind whips my hair as I fall. 5 stories, 8 stories, 10 stories, 20 stories, 30...35...47...and more. Anyone else would be slightly terrified in this situation, but I have no real regard to live and a best friend who is determined to make sure I live.

I start to reach the ground when I feel myself land on something...a net. Kai’s here.

A small black van appears and Kai rolls down the window.

“YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP JUMPING OFF BUILDINGS TSUKI!” they exclaim.

“Yeah yeah I know” I sigh and climb off the net. The net slowly dissolves as I climb into the passenger seat.

“We can talk while we drive. The cops may try and chase us” I instructed them, taking a peek at their necklace. They had their blue bead on.

“Sure” he grunts and starts to drive.

(Present Mic voice again pls)

Anbaundo Kai! Their quirk...is not having one. But they’re really good with tech and they make lots of gadgets for Tsuki to use. 

“Ok so...you really need to stop with the whole buildings thing. Can you not get caught by the cops every time we do a mission?” Kai sighed.

“But I don’t get caught so...it’s fine right!” I reply.

“Yes but no. One of these days you’re gonna get caught” Kai said.

“Sure but I know you’ll save me so what do I have to worry about?” I shrugged as I kicked my legs onto his lap.

Kai sighed and gripped the steering wheel, “Can you not disturb the driver? And I won’t always be there for you” 

“That’s funny. I remember around 3 years ago when you promised you’d always be there for me. Tsk, tsk Kai, always contradicting yourself.” I teased.

“That was a metaphorical promise. I’ll always be there for you emotionally, but I may not always be able to save you and...I wouldn’t like that” his tone softened.

Awwww, so you do care about me! I’m just too amazing not to love huh?” I took my legs off of him and leaned into his face.

“Do you know nothing about personal space?” he said as he pushed my face away.

“You know you love me~” I teased and went back to my original position with my legs on his lap.

“Kai rolled his eyes and smirked, “Yeah, yeah sure” 

We continued to drive into the city, laughing and joking song the way.

***3 Years Earlier***

“Whatcha doin?” I asked Tsuki as I threaded a white bead on my necklace. Tsuki got it for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. It was probably the best gift I’d ever gotten. The necklace was some kind of black leather material that came with 3 beads. One purple, one blue, and one white. One bead for whatever pronoun I was using.

“Now you can express yourself and be stylish!” she’s said when she handed it to me. 

I looked over across her shoulder to see what she was writing, at the top she’d written “私たちの予算”. That was new, Tsuki wasn’t kind of the person to try and make a budget...but then again she’d changed a bit since we were 8.

“Oh. Hey Kai. I’m not doing much just um...doing a bit of math” she went silent towards the end as she continued to write.

“Oh, well ok then. Lemme know if you need help or something.” I told her as I leaned back on the seat but took glances at her from time to time.

“Ok so if we do 3 assassination jobs in one week and get paid around 5,245 yen for each one. That would be around...um…” she murmured to herself and continued writing.

“You good, Tsuki?” I asked because she sounded a bit stressed.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine, just not very good at multiplication that’s all…” she flashed a weak smile and continued to write.

I kept watching as she furiously scribbled. Her hands had begun to shake as she wrote something and then erased it. Some of the lead had begun to smear as well.

“C’mon...I don’t...we learned this didn’t we? Ugh, I’m such an idiot I don’t…” she murmured as her voice started to break.

“Auuurgh!” she sharply sat up and tore pages out of the notebook, tears streaming down her face.

“I’m such an idiot! I don’t know anything about anything and that’s why I’m here living in a van! I can’t do anything!” she cried.

“Hey, Tsuki calm down. Don’t say that about yourself!” I slid over to her.

“Ah, I’m so sorry. Now I’m crying like a child too! I just...UGH, WHY AM I LIKE THIS! I try my best to be helpful but I just end up ruining everything! I can’t speak English no matter how hard I try, I’m awful at math, I’m not sneaky and I always end up barely getting caught by cops, and I’m an emotional mess! I can’t do anything!” she cried, frantically moving her hands as if she didn’t know what to do with them.

“Tsuki-” I started to say.

“Don’t lie, Kai, you find me annoying don’t you. Just like everyone else did…” she sniffled.

“No! Not at all! Tsuki, I don’t know that much about you or your past, but you gotta trust me when I say I don’t find you annoying” I said softly.

“Y-you don’t?” she asked and looked up at me.

“Of course not! Sure there are some things you aren’t that good at, but you’re an amazing friend. Kind of like the younger sister I never had” I grinned and pointed to the necklace she gave me.

“Oh...the necklace” she observed.

“Yup, the nicest thing someone has ever done for me. You realize you’re the first person I’ve met who’s made an effort to call me by my pronouns right? You’re awesome Tsuki, and being bad at math definitely doesn’t define you” I concluded.

Tsuki wiped her eyes and smiled “You really mean that?”

“Of course I do!” I replied.

“...hugs?” she asked a bit shyly.

“Yeah sure. We can hug” I laughed, glad I had the old Tsuki back.


February 03, 2021 21:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Mila Van Niekerk
06:17 Feb 08, 2021

oh, another thing: Tsuki reminds me of Diana Ladris from the Gone series, and Rayla from the Dragon Prince. And I love that!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mila Van Niekerk
06:16 Feb 08, 2021

I LOVE this; especially the parts where you have to read in Presentational Michael's voice. I do however have a few tips: 1. Maybe don't change tenses so often throughout the story; it makes it a little difficult to read 2. I think you changed the viewpoint a few times, and it got me a little confused at first. You can still change the viewpoints, maybe just indicate who's telling the story? idk But other than that I love this story, and I'd like to read more of these characters! I can't believe I've found another bnha fan here on Reedsy! S...

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:31 Feb 08, 2021

AAAAAAH! I'M ALSO A KIRIBAKU SHIPPER! It's Kiribaku and Kamijiro for me. (I also don't have any problems with Todomomo, momjiro, and stuff. Just don't personally ship them)

Reply

Mila Van Niekerk
15:00 Feb 08, 2021

Yasssss, Kiribaku FOR LIFFEE. Kamijirou is also an awesome ship!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
21:51 Feb 03, 2021

OK so uh... 1. THIS IS A FANFIC! This means that some of you guys may not understand a few things, but it's based on the anime My Hero Academia (beautiful anime btw 10/10 recommend). The characters are mine tho. 2. KAI IS GENDERFLUID (in case you couldn't tell) *happy fanfare because I've been too scared to include LGBTQ+ characters in my writing cuz of ConTrOvErSY but fuck it-* So please refer to them as they/them whenever talking about them in the comments. 3. These kids are actually the villains in my MHA universe AU thing, but I love the...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cam Croz
15:49 Mar 07, 2021

AHHH! I love these characters so much! You did a great job building their character and personality traits! (Also Tsuki's quirk is awesome!!!) - also ur amajiki pfp (❁´◡`❁) ╰(*°▽°*)╯ ಥ_ಥ

Reply

Sunny 🌼
16:06 Mar 07, 2021

AAAAAH CAM! I FEEL LIKE I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN AGES! Tysm I appreciate it!

Reply

Cam Croz
23:07 Mar 07, 2021

lol yeah. HOW ARE YOU DOING???

Reply

Sunny 🌼
00:12 Mar 09, 2021

TIIIIIIIIRED

Reply

Cam Croz
16:13 Mar 09, 2021

sssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmeeeee its only tuesday 😭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:47 Mar 05, 2021

LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danny -
06:53 Feb 10, 2021

Hiiii Sarah, how are youu?? Great story! you write so well, like lol i dont understand as much, I haven't watched MHA yet (but my sister does)...but I think its soooo cool how you can come up with a new plot and stuff like that :)) Great job! :)))

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:26 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Danny -
12:44 Feb 10, 2021

No problem :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
13:39 Feb 08, 2021

Hi. Wanted 2 say rq that I'm sorry changing the tenses made the story feel hard to read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:31 Feb 05, 2021

Okay, so I love the entire plot. It's very interesting and enrapturing. I do have a few critiques though. Please don't change the tense! You put some past tense, and then some present tense, which made it very confusing. Also, I didn't really like the part where the dialogue is inside of parentheses. In writing like this, you don't really need it; it takes away from the story. Of course, the characters are still extremely interesting. Also... SHARK KIRI!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Sunny 🌼
18:46 Feb 05, 2021

SHARK KIRI!!!!!!! As for the critiques, I totally get what you mean about it being confusing. There was just a lot of info and context I wanted to put into the story so I added flashbacks. And I can try to take away from the parenthesis.

Reply

19:48 Mar 05, 2021

Who?

Reply

Sunny 🌼
19:49 Mar 05, 2021

Kirishima, he's (the best) character from BNHA (the anime this story is based on)

Reply

19:50 Mar 05, 2021

Oh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.