8 comments

Drama Thriller


What you know about Peter Davis is that he is a killer; well, at least he will be one. Peter has always had what most would call a chip on his shoulder. You think that this is a trait that someone can eventually grow out of. Peter never did. If you believe that someone could have a chip on their shoulder and still not be a killer. Absolutely, but this will not be the case for Peter. He showed a lack of empathy from an early age, and this was not out of lack of love or neglect from his loving parents. It was not because he was abused in any way. It was just in his nature, a natural predator. 


In knowing and understanding Peter, you have an understanding of his home life. His father was a hard-working factory worker. He was earning enough for the family to live on only one income. His father never struck him and tried his best to create a bond between the two of them. Insisting on playing catch outside or taking him out on various outings, for example, a baseball game. Though he tried, he never was able to connect with him. You think this would give any young boy a head start in life, but it just made him angrier. 


His mother being a stay at home parent. She tends to his every need. Never really taking responsibility for any chores or even taking care of the family pets. She did everything for him. When she was not doting on him, she would be taking him out shopping or making sure that he attended his karate classes on time. Her entire life is dedicated to Peter and his younger sister. You imagine that this would make a happier child, but it just made him more annoyed with his living situation. 


His sister was never really fond of her brother right from the beginning. She would always cry whenever he held her. You believe this would just be because she wanted to be in the loving arms of her mother, but in reality, it was due to Peter pinching her on her chunky arm. Each time he would experiment, tweaking her harder, seeing how loud he could get her to scream. His mother instinctually kept her eye on them when they were together. You assume that this would make his sister safe, but it just made him a bit craftier. He mastered the art of tormenting in plan sight.


To look at Peter, one would think that this is entirely normal boy behaviour. After all, this is where the dismissive statement boys will be boys came from. For most children, this statement would be true whether they are of either gender or neither. With Peter, this statement would just be an excuse to explain away odd behaviours at school. Very much a boy who enjoyed solitary, opposed to the company of other peers his age, the teachers would write to his parents. Very intelligent, but they often expressed concern with his interest in harming bugs. One might think that the killing of insects was a good thing, especially if you were frightened of spiders. His teachers were slightly concerned with the way he would be fascinated by the way they slowly died. 


It was also often observed that the teachers wrote letters of concern about how Peter is bullied at school. He was often coming home with a bruise or even a black eye. One might think that this would raise the alarm for his parents, but they were quite content to excuse it as a phase that all young boys need to go through. It was observed that he did seem to gain some enjoyment of the beatings. Often telling his parents that he enjoys the roughhousing, and it allowed him to practice his techniques that he learned at karate. Eventually, he found that he was able to take on these boys and gain respect within that small social circle.


At around the age of eleven, his confidence grew, and he was growing out many of the behaviours that concerned his parents and teachers. Peter was then rewarded with this good behaviour and was given a computer with the expectation that his grades would remain at the same level or higher. Peter learned a valuable lesson that if he could keep his interest a secret and out of sight of watchful eyes, he would be free to do as he wished. As long as he maintains a mask of normalcy. Peter can not hide from you, you are always watching. As you observe, this gave him ample opportunity to research and think. This is the time he developed his list. 


He liked to blare music to drain out he spoke as he spoke to himself. You assume it allows himself to hear his voice to work out his thoughts. You figure this benefits you as you listen intently as he lists his prey.  


Peter quickly considered that his parents and his sister could be valuable and ultimately decided against doing them harm. After all, he did need to keep his secret desire safe. It also made things easier to not have to worry about his basics needs. He decided against his sister being his first victim, drawing too much attention to him if she was dead. She was a good distraction for his parents.


The list continued from there as he spoke of all the positives and negatives of each of his possible victims. You are intrigued by the logic and thought process, as Peter described how and when each act could be done. Though he always ended his thought process that most victims on his list evolved too much of a risk...at the moment.


You admire Peter, after all, you are a killer yourself. You enjoy the hunt, the stalking, the patience you need as you watch from a distance. Unlike Peter, you have already made you first kill, so many that you have lost count. You understand that Peter has yet to develop how to “play” with his prey, test the waters to see the dangers that may exist. This could take months as you determine risks and what advantages or disadvantages you may have. You take great pride and enjoyment from this technique something you have mastered since birth. 


You study Peter as you have done for many years quietly watching, patiently waiting. In the past few weeks, you have noticed that his behaviour has changed. His routine has changed. You sense that he has finally selected his first kill, someone that he has yet to speak out loud. The computer’s glow highlighted Peter’s tired eyes as he researches frantically. Ever now and then it seemed that Peter felt your presence, pausing his work to peer over his shoulder. You do not mind that he may know that you have been watching and studying as well. 


Over the next few days, you notice that he has slowly collected various items that could be used for capture and restraining. Peter hid them neatly under his well-made bed. This was one technique that you noticed that Peter used to make sure that his mother did not snoop in his room, he kept it clean. You noticed that he smile and hummed as he stored his bounty away from prying eyes. You knew that he was enjoying his thoughts playing over and over on how he would exactly make his first kill. The first kill is after all a satisfying release. 


Then the day came as Peter’s humming dulled into silence. You notice his slow precise slides as he crosses his room to his speakers. His eyes sharp and intense as he steps towards you. You quietly lick your paws, swishing your tail in anticipation for what you knew was about to occur. You know exactly what his intension is and why he did choose you as his first victim.  


“Hey Kitty, Kitty,” you stop in mid-motion, with your paw folding down your right ear. Motionless. Waiting. Studying. Peter approached you with his hand stretched out as if to pet you. An act that was unusual for him since he never gave you much thought, until he intended to kill you. Peter forced a smile that would haunt any child’s nightmares. “Kitty, that’s a nice kitty.”


You allow him to approach, letting him slowly reaching out that unwanted hand toward you. Peter has misjudged you. You have been prepared for this moment. Long before Peter has been hunting you, you have been hunting him. Playing with your prey, knowing exactly what your risks and advantages you would have at this moment. 


“That’s a good Kitty,” Peter’s voice grew in confidence as he increased his pace towards you. Classic amateur mistake and you take advantage of it. You leap at his face bitting and scratching at Peter as he frantically gripped at your sides. Your claws dig deeper as you feel Peter’s desperation for a breath of air as he vibrated your stomach. You feel him teeter as he tries to regain some sort of balance, but he was not prepared for you to fight back. Your jaws work away at his eyes, blinding him. Peter trips, striking his head at the corner of the desk. As he laid unconscious you make yourself comfortable on his face.  


Peter was discovered by his little sister, her scream piercing your ears. This was followed by the cries of his grieve stricken parents. You watch as the frenzy of people enters Peter’s room. You have no interest in what they are doing. You imagine if you were a human you would feel a bit more remorse. After all, you just made a kill, but in reality, you have made many kills. You continue to lick at your paws clean of any evidence. You raise and stretch, your muscles are sore from such a workout. You duck out of his room unnoticed, eventually slinking outside among the many feet. 


Strolling down the street your eyes are distracted by a slight movement in the grass. New prey? No, it was a young girl. You watch as she takes pleasure rolling around the thick lush turf. You make eye contact with her. 


“Hi, Kitty! Where did you come from?” she giggled and stretched out her hand for you to sniff. With caution, you step forward, your pink nose takes a whiff of her scent. A scent you recognize from Peter’s collection, a ribbon with this little child’s odour. You knead the side of your face across her hand, welcoming her to pet you. 


“Nice kitty! My name is Ruby Evans! Do you want to know a secret?” the child leaned in and she whispered sweet nothings into your ears. They twitch as her breath tickles them. You continue to enjoy the attention and rub your body against hers. There is something you know about Ruby Evans, she would not be Peter Davis’, next victim.


August 20, 2020 14:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Aanisah King
16:50 Aug 29, 2020

A unique writing. The cat being the narrator is brilliant!

Reply

Bookmark Here
20:47 Aug 29, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
05:58 Aug 26, 2020

A wonderful story! I liked the cat POV, which you've pulled off very well. The concept is extremely imaginative. Keep writing!

Reply

Bookmark Here
10:02 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
08:27 Aug 23, 2020

A unique take on the prompt! I like the 2nd person POV too! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light"? Thank you :D

Reply

Bookmark Here
13:49 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you so much! I will absolutely check your story out. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
08:54 Aug 21, 2020

This was amazing! I was gripped from the first sentence. I honestly didn't expect the narrator to be the cat but it really works and I love it. Great story. :)

Reply

Bookmark Here
11:16 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you! I wanted to play a bit with second-person narration and this is what unfolded. I really enjoyed writing this one. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks again! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.