1 comment

Fantasy

The world of Aetheria flew high over the heads of the Terrans. It was home to many creatures: the majestic fyrons, the proud dragons, and the simmarins. The most intelligent of all these creatures were the Aethins. They formed a civilization of Aethins on Aetheria, worshipping the wind and waves that made up their home, created festivals of lights and tournaments, even created legends of heroes and villains. Everything was magnificent and glorious in the heavens as they drifted across the skies. Everything was glorious, that is until they fell.


For the first time in their lives, these glorious creatures experienced what it felt like to fall, and fall they did. Crashing into the earth below them they had lost their home and was thrown into a new world. This was a time of great confusion for the great Aethins, and even more so for the Terrans they landed upon.


The Terrans were very different from the Aethins. For one, they didn't have feathers and wings. Instead they had strong arms and big hands that they used to shape the earth. The Aethins had strong wings that carried them for miles and strong talons that allowed them to hunt for their food with ease. The Terrans used tools that allowed them to thrive on the earth.


They saw the Aethins as gods and treated them like such. After many generations passed the Aethins grew spoiled on their new home. They became prideful and forgot where they came from. Some fell in love with the Terrans while others demanded more from the them. They became selfish, greedy, and lustful demanding that the Terrans provide them with more. They wanted sacrifices and slaves, riches and food. In return the Terrans suffered harsh beatings.


A wise Aethin was horrified at what had become of his people. He flew up into a mountain and prayed to their forgotten gods, asking what should become of his people. It was revealed to him that they would need to become one with the sky again lest they should be smitten for their greed. He implored them to follow the counsel of their gods and become one with the sky, but they scoffed and scorned the young Aethin. They sent him away from their homes leaving him to fend for himself in the earthen wilderness. For many nights he wandered, on the edge of starvation, until a kind hearted Terran found him and nursed him back to health.


Her family had much distaste for the Aethins, for they were taxed heavily to support the Aethins luxurious lifestyle. The wise Aethins weeped when he heard of their dire circumstances and his people's cruel greed. He taught these Terrans all of what he knew of his legends and myths, in return the kindhearted Terran taught him of all of her myths and legends.


That night he flew up into the mountains and asked the gods what they should do about his brethren, hoping that they would spare them. They told him that few would return to the skies and that they must purge Aetheria of the Aethins. The gods turned their backs on the greedy Aethins and knew them not. They had forgotten themselves and became something alien to even their own people. The wise Aethin sadly flew down the mountain knowing that the gods were right.


He planned with the Terrans that evening on how they would dispose of the Aethins. The wise Aethin begged for one last chance to call his people to the skies, and the Terrans agreed. They would give the Aethins a chance to leave earth of their own free will before destroying them for good. It saddened the wise Aethin to lead the Terrans to battle, but he knew that the gods would give him strength.


They traveled the long way to the city of the Aethins and there, the wise Aethin addressed the entire city. He called them to return to the skies, recalled their great stories and legends of who they once were, and reminded them of who they once were. He spoke with such power and authority that some of the Aethins took to the skies, ashamed that they had lost sight of who they were. Other greedy, wicked Aethins were outraged with the wise Aethin. They hurled insults and threatened him with death. The wise Aethin sadly shook his head before he attacked the city, the kindhearted Terran right behind him.


That was a day bloodier than any other. The city ran red with the blood of gods, spilt by their angry worshippers. Most see that day as a bloody victory, the wise Aethin saw that day as a grim defeat. He could not save his people and that fact would haunt him to his dying breath. When the battle was over and the city of Aetheria was destroyed for good, the wise Aethin took to the skies and addressed the few Aethins that survived. He told them of the battle and sore afflictions that was bound to come. The Aethins were terrified again, now that their home had been destroyed where would they go?


The kindhearted Terran called to the wise Aethin and offered them a home on the high mountains of earth not as gods, but as equals. The wise Aethin accepted the offer and led his people to create the city of Malithia, a city where Terrans and Aethins lived as equals.


The wis Aethin and the kindhearted Terran became the first leaders of the new world; Malithia. They led their people to greatness and worked side by side all of them. They led not as kings and queens but as the baker, the monk, the worker, the child, and the leader. They led their kingdom with the gods at their side, teaching a new way of respect and honor. Every king and queen ruling Malithia in their wake has vowed to honor their people and their gods just like the first rulers. The story says that the wise Aethin and the kindhearted Terran became gods when they died. The gods of diligence, faithfulness, honor, and equality.


I share this story with you, the same story that my fathers have shared with me and their fathers shared with them. It is shared this way so that we may never forget were we come from and the dangers of pride, greed, and selfishness. We share these stories with the next generations to ensure that our legacy of honor and faithfulness is upheld, so I implore you to learn the story well. Keep it in your hearts. You hold the future of Malithia, keep it safe.

May 12, 2020 05:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

A. Y. R
15:15 May 20, 2020

I love the way you wrote this story! Reminds me of Aesop's fables

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.