17 comments

Drama Fantasy Coming of Age

There were ten when we started. 


And now, 


Four. 


Sharp sun rays cut through the space highlighting the four faces in front of me. Charlie’s sharp nose bows down to his tight lips and hardened jaw. The ocean blue eyes that used to captivate happy times now laid swallowed by emptiness. An uncanny relief rolled over me as I saw Check staring down on the ground. His pale face seemed to suggest as if he had been stretched out like a rubber band, at the verge of snapping. Then there was Sadie, our food collector with a look not better than the others. And that’s that. The end of all that we had worked through. 


“Tammy” 


The voice snatches me out of the reverie. 


“Are you alright?” Check asks


“Yeah, I am- I am fine” My head hurts like hell. Then suddenly my eyes fall on what I am wearing. “What the hell” I pinch the off white clothing I had been dressed up with. A big red line stretched from the top of my chest to the brim of the shirt, marking a big ‘X’. I looked up to see all of the others were wearing the same cross, their shirts hanging low around their knees. 


Before I can say anything, a sharp object poked on my shoulder, rubbing salt to the wound I had almost forgotten. The pain squirmed down through my spine coming out as a loud moan. 

I was shot. 


I look up and see a man standing above the cell, holding a big spear, about 6 to 8 feet long with a slender wooden body and sharpened iron as its head. 


“Yiza, ukumkani uyabiza”


“What?” 


khawuleza, ukumkani uphelelwe ngumonde”


“Wha- We cannot understand you.” I try again, mirroring the words with my hands. 


For a second, I thought he understood me as he turns his head around and shouts something. In less than a minute, another figure appears. He has broader shoulders than the previous one and the sweat trailing across his body glistened against the sun. Unlike us, they’re wearing a long jute skirt, looking as if just cut out of a sack. Along with it went a yellow t-shirt, probably of cotton. They looked really different from the green masked hunters. 


The new man’s eyes meet mine. I am taken back with the harshness in his voice against the tender green eyes he acquires. 

“It’s time. The king is calling you.” 


“The king?” Check asks 


“Time for what?” Sadie joins in. 


The man stays mute and other two men standing behind help us out of the cell. I take a deep breath, stretching my arms and legs. My hand travels back to the wound but there is no blood that I can feel. Although it still burns, I notice it is cleaned and stitched. Why would they do that? Who are these people? And what are they going to do to us? 


The questions rummage unanswered in my head and the men then begin to tie our hands. 


“What’s this for? Hey, stop.” Charlie argues uselessly. We get pushed through the acres of green fields until the faded structures in the distance became a little clear. There must be a fire, I guess as I see thin vapors of smoke curling up to the clear sky, giving into nothingness. 


After a few minutes of walking, I spot a throne, probably for the king that had been mentioned earlier. Gathered around, is a mass of people cheering.

I can sense what all the others are thinking. They are all as surprised as me. We thought we were the only one alive. And here it is, thousands of people. Yet I feel anxious. My stomach rolls down to its length, screaming a warning. Something bad is going to happen. 


We are almost there. The shouts and cheering became more vibrant with each step. I notice a bright fire burning in the middle and around it are four wooden poles, equally placed.


We are all made to stand in front of each pole. The heat from the flames slaps across my cheek. The fire rises up higher and higher, taunting me. And then it hits. 

It’s time.


It’s time for sacrifice. 


Two arms grab me by the side as I kick my feet in the air, crying helplessly. My back slams across the wooden pole as my hands and ankles get tied to it. 


“Why are you doing this?” Charlie yells, fighting against the tears rolling down his cheeks. The man from before translates it to the king and replies to us.


“This is your punishment, for all those years. Our people never recovered from what you did to us. And now it’s your turn to suffer.” He spits out the last words with utmost hate. 


“What are you talking about?” Charlie says, just as confused as all of us. What the hell are they talking about? Punishment for what?


“Don’t act innocent.” 


“Well, we are innocent!” I say. “We really don’t know what you are talking about.” 


“Oh really? And now you’ll say you’re not part of the Izilo?” 


“No! we are not! Whatever hell you’re talking about.” I say, the intense heat gushing to the top of my nose, spreading across my forehead. It’s almost getting hard to breathe.


“Please” I whisper. My eyes go up to Sadie. Oh no, her eyes are closed. Is she…is she breathing? Shoot. 


“Then how did you get into our territory? No one else would ever dare to, except those bastard Izilo.” The man goes on. 


“We are innocent. We can explain that. If you just give us a chance. Please” I replied, almost out of breath. Sadie…


The man seems to think for a second then turns to the king, saying something foreign. 


My mind begins to swirl, bile clogging my throat. I think I just might puke. Every second put down a stone on my eyelids. Black spots spread through corner of my eyes. This was not supposed to happen. Lisa’s cry echoes around my ears. Tracy’s blood on my hands. I should've listened to Charlie. It’s all my fault. 


Just then I feel it loosening. Around my hands and ankles, like a bird who is finally permitted to open her wings but I feel too exhausted to feel happy. I stumble a few steps away from the fire and collapse on the hard ground, no it’s not ground. It’s soft. Someone caught me.  


***


I catch little glimpses between the heavy blinks. 


Green wall

King on throne

My friends, safe


I don’t feel any tight knots around my hands or feet. 




I am not sure if I want to lie. 


May 06, 2022 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

09:18 Dec 22, 2022

Keya! This was entertaining. Continuity with the series (The four survivors'-part 2); sticking with the suitable prompt; re-moulded it(same story) to a different scene, perfectly, is simply an evidence of an impressive literary work that includes a smart idea with strong imagination.

Reply

Keya Jadav
06:02 Dec 31, 2022

Thanks a lot, Priceless Passion! I've not written something in months and your comment really is a booster...I might just start working on the third part. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
23:04 Jun 01, 2022

Wow, this was a great follow up to the first story!! The first paragraph was killer and set up the whole story, which did not disappoint, I'm looking forward to the next chapter! Keep em' coming, my friend!! :)

Reply

Keya Jadav
14:38 Jun 02, 2022

Thanks again! 💛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
19:11 May 27, 2022

Hi Keya - I finally got around to reading this one, and I think it was great. I really like where the story is going, with these tribes(I like how you incorporated their language into it) and the cliffhanger ending. I thought the first paragraph was very strong. You set everything up while giving a quick reminder of who everyone is. The rubber band line was good, and I thought the 'blue eyes swallowed by emptiness' was great, too. Part 3 soon?

Reply

Keya Jadav
06:25 May 28, 2022

😁 Thanks you so much! Part 3 - started, got distracted, now back. Will be posting soon :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
12:41 May 14, 2022

Good to see a new story from you. Do you have more time now? You had exams right?

Reply

Keya Jadav
12:50 May 14, 2022

Ah that, I honestly did not have time until I had to fly over two states due to some emergency. I was bored on the plane plus the prompt had me excited cause they fitted so perfectly. Although, I came back just in time to give my exams (unprepared).

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:45 May 14, 2022

Still got more exams to do?

Reply

Keya Jadav
16:31 May 14, 2022

Just one to go (on Wednesday)

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:08 May 14, 2022

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you.

Reply

Keya Jadav
06:08 May 15, 2022

Thanks Graham :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eric D.
02:51 May 14, 2022

Great story Keya for the ending did you mean ' I'm not sure if I want to die' or lie like lay down? Anyways, you're so good at describing someone's state of being, it's like the reader could just feel it all through their eyes. Nice job.

Reply

Keya Jadav
08:44 May 14, 2022

Your comments always leave me with a smile. Thank you so much! I too would check out your stories asap. So sorry, I missed a lot of your posts. Any recs what should I read first? In the ending, I mean 'the opposite of truth' lie. A liar lie. I am trying to work a bit on my descriptions so it's really good to hear that. Thanks again!

Reply

Eric D.
13:52 May 14, 2022

I'm glad :) and it's okay I haven't been writing as much because I had a mini writers block moment for a few weeks haha. But I was happy to see that you and some others I follow are still doing it, it motivates me!!

Reply

Keya Jadav
14:43 Jun 02, 2022

Sorry- for replying late. Writers block sucks! I know. I've been facing some too. These times, I just distract myself by writing some poetry or another short piece or just something. It helps to not break the habit. You could try that too :)

Reply

Eric D.
14:26 Jun 09, 2022

Thank you for the advice! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.