1 comment

Fantasy

"Honey, breakfast is ready!" my mom yelled from the kitchen. I put on a jacket and quickly ran down the stairs. I was so hungry that you could probably hear my tummy growling a mile away. I came to the kitchen table and started to eat. As soon as I was done, I went back upstairs to change. My friends and I are going horseback riding. We are practising for a competition that we want to join. 


An hour later, we were ready to ride. We climbed on the back of our horses and rode them on the route through the forest. When we were at least halfway through, something spooked Oreo, my friend Rose's horse. Oreo jumped, threw Rose off and ran away. All of us climbed off and helped Rose get up. We looked around, and we couldn't see anything wrong. We didn't take our usual route through the forest today, so we didn't really know where to go to find Oreo. We climbed back on our horses, Rose went with Kelly on her horse, Maximus. We began to look for Oreo. All we could see was that he ran onto a small path with lots of bushes. 


We went to the trail and began to look for him. We ended up back at the start taking that trail. We still didn't know what spooked him, but at least we found him. We decided to start training. We went to the arena and rode for a little while. We wanted to go to the secret course that we built a few weeks ago, but it was in the forest. We didn't want to take the risk of Oreo running away again. We decided to finish up for today by walking along the seaside and then go home and come back tomorrow to try again. 


As soon as I came home, I went directly to my room. I took out my book and started to read. The book was about a girl that went riding. Her horse was run over by a truck, trying to save her. She kept hearing her horse call her from her backyard. Every single night she would go out and explore with her horse and ride with him. Just the thought of that happening to me will haunt me in my dreams. I began to think, what if this story was true, what if that is why we couldn't see a problem. Maybe that is what spooked Oreo, maybe he saw the ghost horse. Then again, I have the tendency to overthink stuff. 


I wanted to see Madelaine, I wanted to talk to her. She claims to be able to see ghosts. I want to know the truth, why Oreo got spooked. I called her to see if she can help. She agreed to see me and gave me an address where we can meet up. 


A few days later we met at the house. It took quite long to get there. I rode my horse, Spirit, and took Oreo with. We went and rode the same path where Oreo got spooked, but Oreo didn't get spooked instead, Spirit got spooked. We looked around, but I couldn't see anything. Madelaine, on the other hand, saw something. 


She got her bag and got all supplies she needed. I had no idea what she was going to do, for she got out a book and a pencil. It seemed that she was going to draw something, but I don't know what she's going to do with it. I've seen her in art class, and every time she draws something, it is horrible, and no one knows what it is that she has drawn. I waited for her to finish so that she can tell me what she saw. It took her about 10 minutes. At last, she was done! She turned around the piece of paper and showed me a wonderful drawing of a horse. "The horse was a blue-grey colour," she said. She was uncertain why this spooked our horses. "Blue-grey ghosts is the friendliest ghosts you can find. There would be no reason for them to run away like that. We have to find out to who that horse belonged to!" she added later on. 


We rode back, the path Oreo disappeared with the first time, in silence. When we came back where we started, we tied the horses out front and went back into the house. We sat in front of the fire and talked about this so-called "friendly" ghost. Madelaine said that we should call this guy she knows. He is a horse whisperer and can also see ghosts. He might be able to talk to the ghost horse and find out why the horses got spooked.


I called Jessica and Kelly and told them where to meet up. It was getting late, so I told them that we would meet the next day. Madelaine gave me the guy's number and left. I took Oreo and Spirit back to the farm and put them in their stall. I fed the horses an apple as a late-night snack, locked up, and left. 


The next morning I woke up early and got ready for the day. I sneaked out of the house and went directly to see if Spirit is safe. Then I called the guy Madelaine talked about, and he agreed to come. I went for a little ride with Spirit but decided to go the normal route, considering... I went to the coarse we made and jumped a few jumps. After a while, I went back and let Spirit roam free for a while as I sat on the grass and watched him. I tied him up loosely on the grass with the rest of the horses and went home for breakfast. 


When I came back, I noticed that my mom and dad weren't up yet. I went up to their room when I saw them still fast asleep with my dog just laying there on the bed. This was very strange because usually, my dog would be jumping up and down. I decided to check the time. When I took out my phone, I saw that it was five in the morning. I got up way earlier than anticipated. I was still very hungry, probably of jumping up and down on my horse. 


I made myself an egg with toast and went straight back to bed. I knew it was a Saturday today, but I still put on my alarm clock, or else I would be late for the stuff I planned. As soon as I woke up, for the second time today, I went to get my horse ready and saddled up for the hunt of the ghost horse. No one knew what we were looking for, we couldn't even see what we were looking for, but Felix knew exactly. We just went for if something happened and to show the path. We knew that at least one horse would get spooked. We were prepared for what might happen. 


Felix was looking out for the ghost so that we can try to prevent all the trouble of a spooked horse. After a whole search, we found the ghost horse at last. Felix talked to what appeared to us as thin air. At last, he stopped talking, and he got out a lead. He slipped it over the ghost horse and tied him to a tree. He got paint out of a bag that he brought with and threw it over the ghost horse. "Her name is Stormy," he said while almost drowning her in paint. "She said that she can lead us to her former owner's house and that we should talk to her about her former horse."


 We went there immediately, and as soon as we got there, we tied up all the horses, including Stormy. We talked to her, and she said that we should go and talk to our horses. We did as we were told and turns out that she was right. We found out that Stormy spooked them with the colour of her fur.


The thought that all of this chaos was caused by a creature that wouldn't even come to mind if I didn't read that book and be myself by overthinking is terrifying.

May 15, 2020 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Maggie Deese
15:09 May 24, 2020

This was a great story, Nina! The only thing I would say is to try and expand your vocabulary. There were two or so paragraphs that you used 'we' as the start to every sentence. Just try to expand from that. Other than that, it was a great read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.