39 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

You witness wild eyes fall upon you through splayed fingers, bringing about a sense of eerie disassociation. A couple of eager, round-skulled photographers capture you along the carpet towards the Palace of Festivals. Distended and broken arms sway with cameras like gothic trees in a fairy tale wood. You look up with hesitation and regard them without a smile. You maneuver out of the limousine and into the chaos. 

Ladies and gentlemen—the star of our show! 

The voices activate a crescendo of anxiety that make the contents of your stomach turn. A French dish with a name you cannot pronounce coupled with Johnny Walker's black label curdles in your stomach. Benzos dissolved under your tongue were a poor choice as a palate cleanser, having left your tongue sour and thick. 

Your opaque eyes are guarded and weary as if a curtain has fallen behind your sharp glance. The paparazzi flashes and flees on soundless feet, moving on to another young actor introduced as the latest superhero. 

You wipe bloodshot eyes and look after them with a paranoid disdain. They seem like morbid freaks gathered to watch carnival folk, a string of alien beings dressed brightly as cut flowers. Flashes dilate your irises in the shimmering heat before their figures dissolve and linger on in the rest of the star-struck sea. 

You turn from the hype and select a reclusive landmark somewhere in the sorrowful Congresses of Cannes. You aggressively wheel away down the narrow crimson carpet like a forlorn derelict. The quarters you soon find are of people blind and deaf. Dark figures in floral and suited gowns drink martinis beneath the shadows of gold-laced wall sconces. A group of men in tailored Italian suits watch impassively. 

You reach into the left pocket of a double-breasted jacket stained with creme brûlée and pull out a paper grocery bag to place over your aching brain. Two holes have been jaggedly cut for your bloodshot eyeballs to look through. 

The flashing cameras splay into metallic lines shining so bright they pulse. The day veins with heat. Reporters clamor and follow you with their dark agate eyes staring at the paper bag on your head as if it contains some greater truth inside. 

Confused, you dip into your pocket like a desperate child and clench two friendly pills of Xanax. You reach beneath the bag and drop the pills into a wide and expectant mouth. 

You do not enter the theatre foyer like the others. Instead, you wander around the perimeter into a narrow alley and fall to your knees after lifting the paper bag from your head. Cameras continue to flash, a dull hammering both rhythmic and ceaseless in your ears. Nothing comes other than thin green bile. You angrily lift and raise your voice to the onlookers. 

Screw off! Nothing to see here. 

Your stomach contracts in dry and vicious spasms that rack and leave you sweating, shivering, and weak until they cease. Tears warp your sight as you look up at a small child with dazzling ribboned hair. She watches you from a hedge and sniffles. You nod at her, replace the bag over your head, and float back to the front, where the carpet cuts to the Palace foyer. You stagger towards the onlooking crowd as if your very existence among them was some sort of revenge. 

You stand in a state of torpor and let them observe the spectacle of you being there. Something all-too-human and honest in an industry that prides itself on the ability of one acting a part to which you are not. You think if you could buy them all for what they are worth and sell them for what they thought they were worth, you’d never have to act another day in your life. You chance a slotted eye through your fingers at the boiling sun. It begins to slouch beyond a picturesque horizon, not yet calm enough to settle. 

Start across the carpet and into open lots, moving carefully with thin Ferragamo shoes. This is a journey you hope that the others will not follow. You pause to rest from time to time, leaning forward with your hands upon bony and sharp knees. You squat on one heel and hold your head. You sweat through a pleated Armani shirt that stinks of whiskey. 

Ladies and gentlemen. 

Condescending laughter. Their world is volatile and unpredictable, incapable of being captured by the pictures they take. 

The star of our show! 

The salutation rings hollow, coming and going like veering telephone poles lit up drunkenly by somber headlights. Lose yourself after trying it all; drugs, booze, women—none of it works. After a while, you come out to another street adjacent to the crowds and theater and see a distant trolley crossing. 

I cannot go back to that. I can never go back. 

You set out across the lots again and go down alleys and fences, keeping your eyes poised on some unknown destination as flashing cameras still follow. 

Is there an escape from this Hollywood life? 

Everything looks and feels skewed so that the weight and plum of the world appear slightly off. The question becomes more existential. 

What is this life if not a grande movie playing for a sweltering sea of idiots? 

You cross through a row of backyards with battered cans of swill where clouds of fruit flies drown in tiny shadows through the wind, and dogs chained and slouched away. A man calls out behind you, but you do not look back. 

You cut down an alley and go past a row of coffee shops, restaurants, and bars, and at the end, you see the Congresses of Cannes once again. Beyond them are the trolley tracks merging towards a grande font sculpted in lightly tinged porcelain angels spewing water in a crossing direction. It carries the antiseptic smell of spotless tile in a tincture of chlorine. 

What if you go back now? 

Another rush of nausea washes over you. Stand slightly off-balanced and out of sync as if something needs to be adjusted half a turn somewhere. Your knees seem to fill with water, and you fall to the concrete. A hand stabs at the ground, reaching to catch your boneless weight. You rise and return to the red carpet, re-assuming an intimacy with the life you are not sure had existed before.

May 23, 2022 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Aeris Walker
00:17 May 29, 2022

“They seem like morbid freaks gathered to watch carnival folk, a string of alien beings dressed brightly as cut flowers. Flashes dilate your irises in the shimmering heat before their figures dissolve and linger on in the rest of the star-struck sea.” Great lines. I feel like I remember news snippets of actor Shia LaBoeuf showing up at some film event with a paper bag on his head—and funny enough, if I had to match LaBoeuf with a short story, it would be one like this with its distorted, almost out-of-body, crazed and sort of “wobbling” f...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
23:58 May 29, 2022

This was totally a Shia Labouf spoof! I am so glad you caught that. Originally, it was written in 3rd person and the story was called "Ladies and Gentlemen, Shia Labouf." I changed it into the second person to make it more intimate with the reader. Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

Reply

Aeris Walker
00:21 May 30, 2022

AH! Okay I’m feeling quite pleased with myself then—And now I am going to end up down an internet rabbit hole researching his acting career and *interesting* personality lol. Yeah the 2nd person POV certainly fit for this character and what you were going for.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
21:48 May 30, 2022

I believe the bag he put on his head said "I AM NOT FAMOUS"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dani Camporeale
12:37 Jul 18, 2022

really liked this one. i love the utter contempt for fame, and idiotic fans who swarm. nice one, dustin

Reply

Dustin Gillham
17:30 Jul 18, 2022

Thank you, Dani. The MC in this one definitely has some issues.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
14:28 Jul 17, 2022

This felt like if the Joker from the Joaquin Phoenix version got the glitzy life he’d dreamed of and realised he hated it. That life definitely isn’t for everyone, perhaps anyone. No privacy and people always telling you where to look and what to say would be exhausting and maddening. That’s how I read this. Some of it seems more poetic metaphor than literal. Fame induced PTSD?

Reply

Dustin Gillham
19:01 Jul 17, 2022

Graham! So grateful to hear from you! I just got caught up on your work. You are so talented. Seriously, you need to get published! I always try and weave in the literal with the metaphorical depending on my mood. The MC in this one certainly has some PTSD going on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brian Stanton
20:46 Jun 18, 2022

Interesting story! Fun read. Everyone has already mentioned how well you nailed the 2nd person, so I won't be repetitive. ;) But, man, you write beautiful sentences. "...a row of backyards with battered cans of swill where clouds of fruit flies drown in tiny shadows through the wind, and dogs chained and slouched away..." I think this story worked so well, for me, because each line was an observation both evocative in it's telling, and a bit disorienting. You mirrored the mental state of the main character with each sentence, and by doi...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
18:37 Jun 20, 2022

Brian, Thank you for reading and for complimenting on this piece. I am grateful you took the time. If I'm able to make my readers feel like they are under the influence, I did my job. Blessings!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Morris
21:35 Jun 09, 2022

I think 2nd person can be pretty difficult to do, but this is a great example of how to do it well. Superb, emotional writing here. Well done.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
04:16 Jun 12, 2022

Chris, thank you for taking the time to read my work and comment. Second person is difficult to write in. This was my first endeavor to do so. Blessings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:41 Jun 06, 2022

Dustin! This was outstanding, I felt very emotionally connected to the narrator, and watching the struggle was very evocative! So well done!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
18:43 Jun 06, 2022

Thank you Hannah! I’m a big fan of your writing as well and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:20 Jun 04, 2022

I’ve still been trying to figure out how the globe soup competition works and was scanning the website and saw your name at the bottom, which was figuratively the top, of a very long list of weekly winners, congrats!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
20:03 Jun 04, 2022

Thank you, Chris. I was extremely grateful and honored to have won!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
01:01 Jun 03, 2022

I just listened to you on Read Lots Write Lots. This is an excellent depiction of Cannes as a glitzy wasteland for a thespian frazzled by hedonism and celebrity. Johnny Depp would probably get a kick out of this. The sentence about hypothetically buying and selling egotistical actors is superb. An incisive and clever work.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
06:24 Jun 04, 2022

Hey, Mike. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and also read and comment on my work. That means a great deal to me. I think you stated it perfectly… a glitzy wasteland.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:59 May 30, 2022

The writing conveys the character's confusion and discomfort well. Probably second person helps this, since we make it our own. It's an unusual POV, one I've shied away from, but it works here. There's a line that stood out to me. "You think if you could buy them all for what they are worth and sell them for what they thought they were worth, you’d never have to act another day in your life." A great way of putting it. Cynical but tinged with the truth, it does a lot of characterization. The whole thing's a bit of a fever dream. It's like...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
22:14 May 30, 2022

Thank you, Michal. It was a loathsome piece and reflected a lot of the depravity of Hollywood. The idea to have a character put a bag over their head was actually taken from an incident with actor Shia Labouf. You are exactly right in observing that it was a perspective of complete nausea, and circularly, it came to pass at the close. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. I am a big fan of your writing. Well done with "10 Days of Mindfulness", a well-deserved win. I really enjoyed "Visitors" as well. Have a wonderful...

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:07 May 30, 2022

Thanks :D (Canadian, but I appreciate the sentiment) Hope you have a great Memorial Day too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Seán McNicholl
15:49 May 30, 2022

Really enjoyed this Dustin! A different take with the second person perspective but you mastered it and kept it engaging throughout! Thanks for this!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
21:49 May 30, 2022

Thank you, Sean. I appreciate you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:43 May 29, 2022

You and me with the 2nd person POV this week -- woo hoo :) And one of the most read stories AGAIN this week. You are such a crowd pleaser :)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
00:02 May 30, 2022

I always aim to please! Seems to often work with everyone but the judges. Lol! Writing second person was fun, and definitely challenging. Big hugs. Love ya.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney Renee
01:23 May 29, 2022

My favorite line was at the beginning “Distended and broken arms sway with cameras like gothic trees in a fairy tale wood.” But the metaphors throughout to describe the character’s experience were unique but relatable. It was a lovely tribute to what people face in the limelight.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
00:00 May 30, 2022

Thank you, Courtney. It was a little heavy, kind of a grind to get through for the reader, but I was happy with the way it turned out. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
19:43 May 28, 2022

I've read a few stories with the second POV this week and your perspective works really well; perfectly accentuated how adrift the subject is.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
22:19 May 28, 2022

Thank you Rebecca. I don’t normally write in second person and originally this piece was not. Given the subject I was hoping to bring the reader closer to the perspective of a disgruntled actor facing the turmoil in a state of crisis, almost shame, and having to deal with it at a public setting. I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
00:16 May 27, 2022

Dustin: This week you really dragged your readers through a thoroughly disillusioned world that you so vividly described. I felt yucky, icky, sticky and sorry for the MC's crashing world. Wow, what a trip! Your words evoke such confusion, and disgust and self-loathing for the MC. Very artfully done. I enjoyed it, but was glad when it was over, because you really set the scene, one I don't want to spend any more time in. Great story! Maureen

Reply

Dustin Gillham
01:26 May 27, 2022

Maureen, I think you described it perfectly. Made it hellish and kept it barely over a 1,000 words. You nailed it on the head! Blessings. Have a wonderful weekend. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anissa Waterman
14:16 May 25, 2022

This is very good. I love your descriptive sentences. You seem to always draw the reader in.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
19:13 May 25, 2022

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment. This weeks piece I really focused on the descriptive narrative. I think it turned out well but I kind of feel that without dialogue and action it can appear flat at times and somewhat one dimensional.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
16:20 May 24, 2022

"...the sorrowful Congresses of Cannes." Looooved that. It's really nice to see so many authors on here putting together these shorter pieces that pack such a punch, and this is one of my favorites so far. Good job, my friend.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
17:31 May 24, 2022

Thanks, Kevin. I love when my writing punches! Bam. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
00:29 May 24, 2022

“Distended and broken arms sway with cameras like gothic trees in a fairy tale wood.” What a line! They way you describe things is so artistic. I look forward to reading more of your stories! “Flashes dilate your irises in the shimmering heat before their figures dissolve and linger on in the rest of the star-struck sea.” This line too! Wow!!!!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
02:08 May 24, 2022

Brandon, Thank you for taking the time to read my piece and comment. I really wanted to go with a rich, descriptive story this week because last week I had written "Jacob's Ladder," which was pretty dialogue-heavy. Have a wonderful week, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cyan Villanueva
20:57 May 23, 2022

Your use of description is stellar!! Excellent work.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
21:41 May 23, 2022

Thank you, Cyan. I greatly appreciate you reading and taking the time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.