Kindness, Knowledge, and a Bit of Sneaking

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story about a teenager spending their final days at home before going away to college.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Kids Happy

Kindness, Knowledge, and a Bit of Sneaking

I’m so excited but sad at the same time.

 I will be going to college in three days.

 I am going to be a vet.

 I love animals and I just hate seeing them in pain.

 But they could also just be there for their yearly checkups.

Anyway, I forgot something- to introduce myself. 

I am Violet.

 Violet Denues.

 Sorry that I got sidetracked.

This is how the beginning of the first day started.

 I heard my dog howling and jumping on my bed.

 "Izzy, stop, I'm so tired," I said, yawning.

 That same moment my little sister, Ava, walked into my room and said, “What's that noise, Violet?"

 "Izzy," I said.

"Oh," Ava said and walked out of my room.

 I sat up and looked at my clock.

 It was 5:45 AM.

 "Oh my gosh, thank you so much, Izzy.”

 I was supposed to be at my old school, Rockville High.

 My old teacher Mrs. Newman had a surprise for me and my old classmates.

 So I went downstairs and made scrambled eggs and got orange juice and went out the door.

 But something grabbed me.

 "Let go!!" I said angrily.

 It was my mom.

 "No, you will not go, Violet," Mom said

 She pulled me back into the house and said calmly, "Without saying goodbye to your father, me, Ava, and Izzy." I could tell that she was trying to be as calm as she could without yelling at me.

 "Mom, I can't. Mrs. Newman said that I have to be there by-" I said 

 "No, Violet, you will not go!" Mom said, interrupting me.

 "Mrs. Newman said that I have to be there by 6:00 AM," I said trying to be calm just like I knew my mom was, too. 

 "Oh, then you better go." Mom suggested.

 I said goodbye to everyone quickly and went out of the door.

 I had to run to school and when I got there and opened the door and was surprised to see Mrs. Newman standing in the hallway with a gift and all of my old classmates behind her.

 All of my classmates also had gifts.

 Some of them were in bags, others were wrapped. 

Mrs. Newman's gift was in a bag and it was pretty small. 

Let's get this over with whatever it is because I have to pack for college. I thought. "So what am I doing here and why do you all have bags or things wrapped?" I asked Mrs. Newman or anybody who was listening.

"Well, we just want to wish you goodbye to college and congratulations on your knowledge because you skipped kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade. And all of you..." she turned and pointed to my old classmates "have to stay behind because you all did not pass a different subject and you have to pass every single subject to go on to college. So we just want to wish you all a goodbye."

"Which one should I open first?" I asked

"I don't think it matters," Natalie asked who was in the middle of the line.

Then I scribbled on a piece of paper very quickly then said "This is the order that I will do it then." I said as I showed all of them the paper.

Name      0rder

Mrs. Newman     1

Ms. Mallisa     2

Belle       3

Ben       4

Ien       5

George      6

Georgia      7

Sky       8

Ariana      9

Ty       10

Ella       11

Lucille      12

Grace      13

Anna       14

Harry       15

Luke       16

Emma       17

Natalie       18

Mia       19

Charlotte      20

Liam       21

Lucas       22

James       23

Connor       24

Max       25

Maria       26

"I don't think Maria is here Violet." Ms. Mallissa said

"Okay then. I guess everyone might not have time to come." I tried to sound very polite because Maria and I are sworn enemies, well at least she hates me and I don't know why.

 But I think this is the best explanation and logical reason I am 3 years younger than her and were still in the same grade.

One more thing, unfortunate for me, Maria and I were in the same grade every single subject and every single class.

Then there was a long silence. (The silence was only like 3-4 minutes.)

It was like we were playing the quiet game( The quiet game is where you try to quiet as long as you can and if you speak you're out) and surprisingly Mrs. Newman was the first one to speak; "So you are opening my gift first correct Violet?" she asked

"Correct Mrs. Newman I do get to open your present first," I said happily because I am used to teachers or a grown-up asking me for help because sometimes strangers ask me for help and how they know me is because everyone on the side that I live in knows my name and sometimes people who know me tell their friends who tell their friend and their friends tell their friends and it just all normal to me.

Anyway, Mrs. Newman handed me her bag.

It had a little bit of tissue paper.

When I felt a box I pulled it out.

There was a tiny box. I opened the tiny box, curious to see what was inside. There was a small locket with rainbow chains and a heart locket.

I opened the locket part and it had a picture with me, Natalie, and Ien. We are best friends.

I was very, very shocked when I opened the locket and asked, “ How’d you get that picture, Mrs. Newman?”

“Oh, that’s easy, Violet. For the class picture day, you, Ien, and Natalie were all next to each other with you in the middle, Natalie on the right side, and Ien on the left. I duplicated the picture and zoomed in to all three of you and made sure that I could fit it into the locket. Simple.”

“Oh,” said Violet, shocked to see that it was so easy to do and that she hadn’t realized it before.

Next, I opened Ms. Mallisa (and if you don’t know, Ms. Mallisa is the assistant teacher).  It was wrapped and had one big present and two small presents. I opened the smallest present first. 

It was a 10 pack of pens. The next was a 10-pack of pencils.

The biggest present was a five-pack of mini-clipboards.

In all, that took one hour and twenty-three minutes.

I said goodbye to everyone and gave all of them a quick hug, but I stopped at Ms. Mallisa and Mrs. Newman.

I hugged both of them and said, “I’ll never forget either of you,” ran home, and started to pack.

But, then, I realized that I didn’t have enough boxes, so I took home all of the boxes that had the gifts that I had unwrapped and brought them home because I love arts and crafts and I might want to make things out of them while I was at college.

But now, I’m going to use them in this case.

So I took one box that had the clipboards in them and put all of my crayons, markers, colored pencil, or any other utensil in there. Luckily, they fit. 

 I took the largest box that I could find and put all of the presents that I received, including the locket, the clipboards, and pens and pencils that Ms. Mallisa gave me, and the best friend bracelets that Natalie gave me. Ien also has one because it’s a friendship bracelet.

Next, I got a box and put all of my pants, shorts, and capris in there. 

Three and a half hours later, I was done packing.

I went down for lunch because it was 1 pm.

I made myself a hamburger (I’m an excellent cook), 

I watched one episode of Nailed It! While eating my hamburger.

I didn’t know what to do next after that. 

I could try to transfer all of my apps on my new phone, an iPhone 10 because James got it for me.

And I did. It took 5 minutes.

And from the extra supplies that I had, I made a super dee-duper big card for Ava, Izzy, Mommy, and Daddy. (I only call my parents when I sad).

That took about half an hour.

So now we are up to 1:35 pm.

I made a smaller card on the kitchen counter that said ‘Can we please eat roast beef with a lot of and fat french fries?

I put my card into the refrigerator and went up into my room.

It was strange not to see Izzy around because she always followed me.

“I’m so bored,” I said five hours later. 

Then I heard Mom say, “Oh, honey, you didn’t have to do all of this for us!”

“Well, I do want to! And I do want roast beef with fat french fries still.”

Anyways, I went downstairs to make Izzy her dinner.

It was odd because Izzy didn’t get her dinner and she eats whenever she can.

It was time to go to bed at 11:58 pm.

THE NEXT DAY………………

I woke up, put fresh clothes on, and they said, “Big sister,” because Ava was my little sister. Obviously.

I had to get all of my things into one big trunk.

I said goodbye very quickly, very quickly, and in fact, I had to go back upstairs to get my trunk and I brought it down with 10 big CLUNKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the car, backed out of the driveway, but then, I saw someone, they were waving at me!

And I realized it was- my mother!

I  was so shocked.

I stopped, pulled back into that driveway, got out of that car, and asked my mom, “What is it?” I said urgently.

“Izzy had puppies!” said Mom, lookin’ me up and down. “And are you my daughter?’

“Yes, I am,” I said matter-of-factly.” And it was a good thing that you waved me down because or else I would have missed seeing Izzy’s babies!!!!!!!!! And HOW MANY BUNDLES OF HEAVEN DID SHE HAVE?”

“Oh, she had four. And we’re planning to foster two of them and keep the other two.” 

“Oh,” I said. “Well, I know that my college allows puppies so I can bring at least one of them along!” I said.

And I took the puppy, named it Natalie after my BFF, and went to college.

6 miles away, Maria sat in her house, thinking, I can’t believe I stole her diary. I’m going to get revenge on Violet Denues. Someday.

Story over.

The End.

August 08, 2020 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.