1 comment

Drama Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

We have grown up together.

We…like each other, right?

We…played together growing up. We shared our mother’s lap, both our heads simultaneously on each of her breasts as our tiny breaths inhaled and exhaled as we slept. We shared in the grief of her death, entwined in a sisterly, mournful hug, our braids on each other’s shoulders.

It took a while to let go. We were afraid if we did, one of us would be gone too.

Sister…

***

Mother’s death was not easy, of course. Now came a long battle that I dreaded ever since she came down with that sickness. Servants came in and out quickly, in a blur, their faces nothing more than black dots on the bigger map of color. The palace buzzed excitedly, with rumors and whispers dominating the daily messaging. My sister looked at me sorrowfully, though her smile brought me back to the present.

“How did you sleep, dear sister?”

“Not well, dear sister.”

We walked slowly towards the dining room, where food was being served to the nobles who had arrived last night. As we entered their conversations mixed, they died down quickly as we both entered. Each one stood up, bowing their heads in silence as we walked in, their hypocritical reverence palpable.

My sister and I sat down on either end of the long dining table, looking at each other as if we were each staring into a mirror. Her braid lay regally on her left shoulder, mine on my right. The nobles took back their seats, the only noise the scraping of the chairs and the clanking of the silverware.

Everyone ate silently, except for a whisper here and there. After what seemed like hours, finally, my sister cleared her throat. She stood up slowly, picking up her champagne.

“To Queen Sarena,” she declared, thrusting the champagne glass forward.

“To Queen Sarena!” the nobles responded. I stayed seated, nodding to my sister.

Advisor Vindt cleared his throat. “Yes, to Queen Sarena, may her rule continue in the end!” He turned towards Eva, whose green eyes darted to mine. “Now,” he continued. “We have to decide who our next Queen will be.”

***

I paced back and forth in the library, every once in awhile glancing out the window. The trees outside, their red and purple leaves swaying in the hellish air, the red color of the sky beautifully reflecting off the lake. I heard the door open but didn’t immediately turn to look.

“Princess,” Advisor Vindt called. “I’m glad I have you alone.”

A cold chill ran down my spine as if it were in a marathon. The advisor placed his crooked hands on my shoulders, causing goosebumps to erupt. I gently sashayed away from him, giving him a crooked smile.

“How may I help you, Advisor?”

“Oh, it’s not how you can help me, it’s how I can help you.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

He chuckled, his cat-like eyes flickering wickedly.

“I know you want to be Queen. I’ve always known. Ever since you were little.”

I stared at him. Intertwining my hands together, I stayed silent, watching carefully as he walked around the library, his crooked hands touching each book.

He stopped in front of the table dividing us. “Am I wrong?”

I swallowed. Of course, I wanted to be Queen; of course, it was a huge dream.

“My sister is more qualified.”

“She is,” he agreed. “But you have more drive.”

His eyes sparked up to mine, meeting them, holding them. My heartfelt heavy, as if a crooked hand was squeezing it dry.

“You have more passion. You have more grit. She will destroy this Kingdom.”

I narrowed my eyes. “How dare you?”

“It’s your choice.”

He paused and then turned around, leaving out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

I looked down, watching as the gems glittering on the curved dagger’s handle seemed to be calling me.

***

Eva smiled widely at me, as she was fitted for the Queen’s gown. I returned the smile, although the warmth was gone. She hadn’t noticed.

“I can’t believe it,” she whispered, smoothing the front of the dress.

The dressmaker nodded proudly. “You look beautiful, Princess,” she said. She turned towards me, expecting my agreement. When it came as a short nod, she turned back towards Eva. I sighed heavily, feeling the weight of the dagger underneath my dress sleeve. The fitting was almost over, and Eva was resplendent in the royal purple and blue hues. My sister and I were exactly alike in looks, and we shared everything short of our personalities. We both shared our mother’s beauty, though hers was more obvious.

“There!” the dressmaker exclaimed, standing up from her kneel. They took a deep breath in as Eva twirled, taking in every inch and corner of her own self. Her queenliness pored out, and the dagger was heavier. Our green eyes sparkled in unison.

The dress-maker nodded to me as she walked out. I was alone with my sister. My heart beat faster and faster, the dagger dragging down my hand.

“I can’t believe that we’ve made it this far, my dear sister,” Eva choked back the tears. She closed in on me, extending her arms, wanting a hug. My breath caught in my throat as she got closer, my hands shaking as I enveloped her in a warm embrace. She squeezed me tightly, her sweet scent reminding me of mother. The shaking further exacerbated, the dagger in danger of falling down. Tears pooled in my eyes, threatening to flow freely.

Eva pushed me at arm’s length, her eyebrows raised. “Morgan? What’s wrong?”

“I—”

The dagger couldn’t be contained anymore; it dropped heavily onto the floor with a clank. Eva let go of me quickly, looking down at the weapon, its gems glinting evilly.

“What…why did you have that?”

I shook, feeling the weight of the dress I wore, the weight of my responsibilities, the weight of the guilt at agreeing to do such a thing.

“Morgan…” Eva shook her head. “Were you…”

“No, I couldn’t…I…”

“You were going to…stab me?”

“Eva, I…”

“Get out.”

“Eva…”

“Get out!”

I quickly shuffled out of the room, shutting the door behind me. I watched as Advisor Vindt stared from the corner.

“You’re a pathetic child,” he spat. “I gave you an easy chance.”

I stood up from the ground, smoothing my breath. I walked closer to him, my eyes locked with his. “Get out.”

He laughed suddenly, frightening the servants on the bottom floor, who had stopped what they were doing to gawk at us.

“You have no power here,” he grinned. He walked closer to me, edging me closer to the banister of the stairs, my back curved over, my head dangling. “You gave that up when you refused to kill your sister.”

I screamed as the last thing I saw were his cat-like eyes staring into mine, as everything went dark.

***

Eva sat on the throne as the nobles bowed to her. The throne next to hers was empty and forlorn. She glanced at it occasionally, the tears forming often. She pushed them back and stood up. Advisor Vindt stood tall next to her, a smug look on his face.

Eva looked out over her new Kingdom, her smile widening.

“Shall we begin?”

November 07, 2020 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

The emotions in this are so realistic. The last line leaves a hanging thread that adds so much to the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.