0 comments

Drama Fantasy

For all of my careful planning, I had never expected this.

Never expected the welling up of water in her eyes and the whispered apology as guardsmen poured into the courtyard, their swords all pointed at me, as if I was the greatest threat in the kingdom.

They were wrong.

It was the man- the so-called prince- they worked for who was the threat.

And now the woman who stood across from me.

My own daughter.

My Sage.

She stared at me. What was she thinking? Was she remembering sitting on my lap when she was a little thing, and listening to the stories her mother and I would tell her? Was she remembering digging up the earth for our garden and the way her mother would sing as she planted seeds?

Or was she thinking of our plan? The plan to destroy the one who had taken everything from us? Not just our village and our home but my wife- her mother.

Did she remember any of those things?

My arms were wrenched behind my back and locked in heavy cold irons. But that was nothing compared to the weight I now carried in my heart.

Sage had betrayed me.

Betrayed everything we stood for- freedom, justice, peace. Betrayed our allies and friends. Betrayed me. Her own father.

And for what? Why would she do this? What could be more important than the cause we had long fought for?

The enemy swept into the garden like this was a grand party and he the guest of honor. He surveyed the courtyard, smiling as he caught sight of me in chains. “Well done my dear.” He stopped next to Sage. “I knew I could count on you.”

Sage did not look at the man beside her or at me. Her eyes were devoid of emotion and her voice was monotone as she said, “Always.”

Disgust curled in my stomach. Always. Always? How could she pledge loyalty to this monster when I stood there- her only living family- in irons?

The prince approached me with the arrogance associated only with a man who thinks he has won. The smirk on his face agreed with his walk. But he was wrong. There would always be those who would stand and fight against tyranny. “This is a grand day for the country. The terrorist Lorcan has at long last been caught.”

I remained silent. I would not give this man any satisfaction.

“I wonder what your little rebellion will do now that their leader has been caught?” He raised an eyebrow. “I don’t suppose you would tell me where you base is?”

I ignored him. I stared straight ahead, focusing on Sage. Her eyes had dropped to the ground, her shoulders hunched in. Coward. If she was going to betray me, she should meet my gaze. See what she had done.

What had happened? Where was the brave girl he had known? The one who had volunteered to become a spy in the enemy’s court? Where was the girl, who though nervous, had agreed to marry the monster before me so she could continue to funnel information to the rebellion?

Where was that woman?

The prince sighed. “I didn’t think so. But that doesn’t matter. I’ll discover the truth soon enough.” He looked over his shoulder at Sage. “Isn’t that right my dear? I always get what I want.”

Sage said nothing but the prince did not seem to mind. He leaned closer to me. “I will find your rebel friends eventually. So, I will give you a choice. You tell me where they are, and I will be merciful to you and them.”

I snorted. As if I would fall for that. The prince was many things. Merciful was not of one of them. No matter what I did, I would be made to suffer. The prince would punish me as an example of what happened to those who fought against him. And if I gave up my friends…what type of man would I be then?

Weak. A coward.

Just like Sage.

The prince laughed. “Ah, Lorcan. The rumors about you are true. You are brave.” He paused, and the corner of his mouth drew up in a cruel smile. “But even the brave can be broken.”

Sage made a noise- something between a whimper and a gasp. The prince’s smile turned satisfied. “See?” He whispered.

The fire that had burned in me since the revelation of Sage’s betrayal turned to ice. She had not betrayed me willingly. She had not wanted this. My daughter seemed to grow smaller, her eyes closing as if blocking out memories. In that moment, I would have given anything to have my hands free. I would have strangled the prince for whatever he had done to Sage.

But I couldn’t.

I made no noise or movement. I would not allow the prince to know how my daughter’s pain had affected me. If I did, it would simply give him more incentive to use her against me. And while I would happily suffer alone, I didn’t want to think of what I would do- what I would sacrifice- to protect my daughter.

Was that what had happened? Had Sage simply been trying to protect me? But I hadn’t been in any danger till tonight’s ambush. Was there something else?

“I see you’ve made your choice.” The prince sighed. “Pity.” He snapped his fingers. “Guards. Take him away.”

The guards were not gentle. Two men grabbed me by my upper arms and pulled me backwards. I stumbled but they did not slow, just dragged me behind them. I didn’t care.

All I wanted was to keep my eyes on Sage until she was no longer in view.

I saw as the prince turned from me to her. He gently stroked her cheek with the back of his hand; his head bent down till his lips were at her ear. He whispered to her. I saw her flinch away from him, and how he smiled his cruel smile before sauntering away without a care in the world.

My little girl collapsed to the grass, her eyes wide, her breathing shallow. Her hands pressed against her face as shallow breaths turned to gasping, hitching cries.

The guards dragged me around the corner. Her cries followed me.

Sage. My strong, brave Sage who hadn’t shed a tear since her mother’s death was crying.

And it was my fault.

I had put her in this situation. Encouraged her to accept the prince’s advances all in the name of the rebellion.

I had sworn on my wife’s grave that I would protect Sage. And I had failed. I had sent her into the lion’s den, alone and unprotected. I had prioritized the cause and now I had lost the one person who meant more to me than anyone else.

Agonized, guilt ridden screams filled the air, echoing the feelings of my heart. I wanted to scream back. Tell her it wasn’t her fault. That it was mine. She hadn’t betrayed me. I had betrayed her by not protecting her.

Silently I begged her forgiveness as the guards took me away.

February 03, 2021 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.