The Horror of the Book Return!!

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Write about someone going to extreme lengths to return an overdue library book.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fiction Funny

4:57 PM, 63 minutes left

"Hey, isn't that book due today?" My best friend, William, asks. I look at him over the copy of The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.

"Yeah. Why? It's only 5:00 PM."

"Yeah, but today's Sunday, and the library closes at 6:00." That's right, I think. Crap. I'm gonna have to go fast on that skateboard if I want to get there in time!

"Gotta run, see you tomorrow!" I tell him, running out the front door. I jump on my skateboard and roll down the road.

I have the smart idea to read my book on the way there, as I only had about 10 pages left. Bad idea. I look up and see a car right in front of me. I try to dodge but I crash into it, fall backward, and hit my head on the pavement. I'm immediately out.

5:49 PM, 11 minutes left

I wake up and find myself on a hospital bed. My mom is sitting on a bench beside me. "Mom? Do you have my book from the library?"

"Hmmm...is it The Time Machine?" She asks, looking in her purse. I get up and say, "Yes. Can I see it?" I look at my watch. it was 5:50 PM. I only had 10 minutes, I might make it if I hurry.

She pulls it out of her purse and hands it to me, and I take it and run. "We have a runner!!," Someone yells, and before I know it, about 10 doctors are chasing me through the halls. I get out the door and William's standing there.

"Whoa, dude! I need to tell you something!"

"No time!! Gotta get to the library!!" I push him out of the way and run through the grass and onto the road. The library was only a few blocks away, but I checked my watch and found that it was 6:01 PM. I was too late. I walked back home and went to my room. I sat down on my bed and looked at the cover of my book. If only I had a time machine...I think, Well...what if I made one? I looked around my room, and start grabbing things. I go to the garage and grab some tools, and before I know it, I have a time machine. Maybe.

I type 5:00 PM into the keypad, and click "go." A bright light temporarily blinds me, and I feel myself leaving my time.

5:00 PM, 60 minutes left.

I reappear in my bedroom. I run out the front door of the house and down the road. I barely notice that I'm still wearing the robe from the hospital as I burst into the library...or at least crash into the front doors. I look at a piece of paper on the door. "We close at noon on Sundays."

I get down on my knees and yell, "OH, COME ON, WILLIAM, YOU TOLD ME THE WRONG TIME!!!!"

I run home and grab my time machine, and dial yesterday. Now I should have plenty of time!

Yesterday, 24 hours left.

I reappear in my bedroom and find that it's 7:00 at night. The past me is sitting on the bed watching TV. I should be able to return it tonight, so I creep out of my room.

I walk out the front door of the house undetected and run down the road. It's dark out so I decide to lay low and be careful not to draw attention to myself. I finally make it to the library and realize that it's closed. Of course. I'm tired of time traveling and running back and forth, so I decide I'll try and break in.

I look around back in the dumpster and find a rope and a hook. I tie them together and throw them to the roof. I climb to the top and find a chimney that I can crawl through. I honestly didn't think my plan would work, so I chuckled at the sight of the chimney. Why does a library have a chimney? I crawl down into it and end up in a fireplace. I come out covered in ashes and coughing up dust. I look around.

I never remembered them having a couch like this...or a flat-screen TV!! I think, Wait a moment, I hear noises coming from above. A man comes down a staircase in the corner of the room.

Crap!! Wrong building!! I crawl into the fireplace and crawl halfway up. I hear the man yell, "WHO'S THERE!?! GET OUT MY HOUSE!!" and other choice words. I crawl all the way out, shaken by my experience. I decided I should just try and get in through the door.

I run to the side of the building and realize how tall it actually is. I see a mattress in the dumpster below and decide I'll just jump.

The fall is short-lived and I land safely on the nasty mattress below. I get up and walk to the door of the library. I back up, get a running start, and tackle the glass door!

CRASH!!!

Okay, not my best life choice. I was on the marbled floor and had shards of glass poking me all over. Now bleeding, I get up and walk to the front desk, but immediately after doing so, an alarm sounds.

Gosh, how could this get any worse!? All of a sudden, I faintly hear sirens. I set the gosh-forsaken book down on the counter and run out the front door, only to find myself surrounded by cop cars.

I'm told to put my hands up, but I don't, because I'm too tired and angry, and I ain't moving for nobody. The police forced me into the car as I tried to explain I was just trying to return a book. He chuckles and says, "You know about the return box, right?" He slams the car door and I think for a moment. Crap. All that for nothing.

April 26, 2021 18:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kingston Kiser
18:15 Apr 26, 2021

Ha, I can't wait to let other people read this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.