44 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Fantasy

This has nothing to do with the prompt, I wrote this a while ago, and thought it was neat. Hope you enjoy!



Nick had lost too many people in his life.

He was part dragon and elf. He was the king's right hand man, and his most trusted companion. Most of his family and people he cared for were gone, and any of them that were left, hated him, so the king was really the only person he had. He was glad to be a knight, and never really wanted to be king. He was happy where he was.

He had fallen in love with the king's wife, however, but never said anything. He knew the king would never forgive him if he knew.

At first, nobody had known about Nick’s power, not even himself. He discovered it by complete accident. 

One of the knights was being attacked by an ogre in the forest, and while trying to protect her, he somehow turned into a giant grizzly bear. The knight was scared of him, and ran off to tell everyone, even though he saved her life.

When he returned, the guards immediately tried to attack him. He was able to stop some of them, but they quickly overtook him. He didn't know what he had done, and struggled while they dragged him to the king.

The king was convinced that Nick was trying to kill him, and would take the throne, so he gave the order for him to be executed right away.

Nick panicked, and turned into a lion. The guards kept attacking, and he killed them all. The king was terrified, but Nick didn’t kill him. The king was still his friend. He was certain it was just a mistake. He turned back into a human, and left the castle.

But the king ordered the remaining knights to clear the forest and mountains. They were sure he could only turn into wild animals, so all of the lions, bears, snakes, and other wild animals were killed. That unbalanced things for a while, but everyone eventually adapted to it. 

Nick was still out there, but the king thought he had gotten rid of him. When Nick heard the king wanted him dead, he went into hiding to plan his revenge.

He became more wild and angry from living in the mountains alone. He was nearly starved, and incredibly mad. He had created tunnels and caves in the mountains, with the help of the goblins and trolls who had been banished from the kingdom. They hated the king as much as Nick did.

When they were ready, they stormed the castle. Nick refused to let them hurt the villagers, since they had done nothing to him. Any guard that had tried to attack him was killed. When he got to the throne room, he gave the knights a chance to leave, and killed any of them who challenged him.

He killed the king, but he flew the queen to the mountains, and held her captive. He found to keep her alive so he could have her forever. But she didn’t want to be with him, and ended up jumping off the mountain to her death.

 The village mourned them both for a while, but soon moved on. They had an unspoken rule amongst the kingdom. When Nick was there, they did what he asked, and left him alone. He hated the new king and his family. He didn’t kill him, though because he had done nothing to him yet. Until the new king went up to Nick, and demanded he leave the kingdom. 

Nick refused to listen, so the king challenged him. Nick beat him easily. He knew nobody would challenge him anymore, because he was clearly getting stronger everyday. Nobody tried to fight him again.

His fatal flaw was trust. He desperately needed a friend, or at least someone to talk to. The goblins and trolls weren’t great conversationalists. 

 An elf decided to earn his trust, and stab him in the back to try to save the village. Nick had the same plan. They befriended each other, but the more time they spent together the less they hated the other.

The elf realized he had feelings for Nick, but he knew he couldn’t do anything. He was supposed to be married soon, though he didn’t want to be. But that didn’t stop him from spending time with Nick.

The day before the wedding, the elf confessed his feelings to Nick. Nick admitted he felt the same, but didn't know what to do. 

The elf begged him to do something, anything, so Nick brought him to the mountains. But the elf didn’t want to live forever, and when he died, Nick was heartbroken. He became even more wild.

His wings were massive, and he had long, sharp teeth and claws. When he went to the village, he didn’t talk to anyone, he just took what he needed, and left.

But one day, a stranger came to the village, and Nick took an interest in them. They never spoke to anyone, and always wore a cloak that covered their face. Nick would change into an animal, and find a way to watch them.

Once, he turned into a cat, and followed them to the lake. When they saw Nick, they let him climb into their lap, and sit there while they read to themselves.

It soon became a regular thing. Sometimes, they would read to Nick. Other times they would talk about themselves.

Nick found out they were an assassin, sent to kill certain people in the village. They hated their job, though, but it was one way to get money. They were unfortunately good at it, too. Few people had realized there were others dead.

Of course, Nick fell in love with them. 

But one day, when he was heading to see them, he passed by the castle, and saw guards dragging him inside. Villagers were watching, and he heard them saying they had killed the king. 

They fought against the guards, but it was useless. The queen ordered for him to be killed, right there, in front of everyone. 

Nick, once again, was heart broken. He turned into a dragon, and everyone ran, leaving the assassin on the ground. 

Nick went to them, turning back to human as he dropped to his knees beside their body. His eyes widened when he realized they had been stabbed, and was slowly dying.

They asked who he was, and why he’d try to save them. He told them he was the cat they’d been talking to all that time. But before they could say anything else, their eyes closed, and they didn’t open again.

Once again, his heart broke. He couldn’t handle it. 

There was a witch, deep in the forest. Nick went to her. (After he killed the queen.)

He demanded she fix his heartbreak, he never wanted to fall in love again. It hurt too much. 

She told him the only way to do that, was to get rid of his heart. He didn’t care what she’d have to do, he just didn’t want to deal with love anymore. 

The whole process took about a week. He no longer had emotions, and he wouldn’t fall in love again. 

He returned to the mountains, and spent his days there. He rarely went to the village, only when he desperately needed food. 

Some people say he died up there. Others say he’s still alive, and is just waiting to attack. No one really knows for sure. Maybe he’d come back someday. Maybe he wouldn’t. They might not be ready for him. 

Lots of people didn’t blame him for what he did. Nick had lost too many people in his life.


So, hope you like it! ✌️Pan Pride✌Thanks for reading!

December 21, 2020 20:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

I really like this story! Though it may not really relate to the prompt, it's amazing! :)

Reply

Ari Berri
21:08 Dec 23, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Oh, no problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
18:19 Dec 22, 2020

Thalia grace in percy jackson. Right? Daughter of the God of the sky.

Reply

Ari Berri
19:02 Dec 22, 2020

You got it again. Today's her birthday.

Reply

Amel Parvez
10:53 Dec 23, 2020

Yay! Is it? I didn't know that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Awww.... Me here still waiting for my name- XD I’m sorry. Sadd storyyyyyy

Reply

Ari Berri
03:30 Dec 22, 2020

I'm working on that one now.

Reply

NoW? HoW dO yOu WrIte So DaRn FaSt? 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Reply

Ari Berri
03:37 Dec 22, 2020

Honestly? I don't have a clue. I get these random burst of creativity, and somehow I can write a bunch.

Reply

GIVE ME 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 I wish I could down that....🍌🍌🍌 New story coming!

Reply

Ari Berri
03:40 Dec 22, 2020

Hopefully!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
19:20 Dec 24, 2020

Is this a character of percy jackson again?

Reply

Ari Berri
19:21 Dec 24, 2020

You got it!

Reply

Wirda Bibi
19:22 Dec 24, 2020

It was just a guess😉 Hahaha😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
20:26 Dec 23, 2020

Wow. With more excellent stories like that, you could publish an entire collection of fairy tales that would at least equal (if not surpass) those in the Grimm Brothers' collection (before their stories were toned down so that they were appropriate for underage audiences). Thank you for writing it. Maybe in your next fairy tale, there will be a hopeful (instead of sad) ending. I prefer hopeful endings. They leave it up to the reader to decide what might've happened next (whether something good, not good, or somewhere in between). Somet...

Reply

Ari Berri
20:40 Dec 23, 2020

Thank you! That means a lot. I'm glad you like it so much. I'll try to do a hopeful ending in the next fairy tale. I'll have to see. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:56 Dec 23, 2020

You're very welcome. I wish I could write fairy tales. But I find that my stories (and poetry) tend to be much more grounded in real life (or something approximating it). Maybe someday I'll be able to write an actual fairy tale. Btw, if you haven't read it already, I can recommend Neil Gaiman's book, "Stardust". I haven't read it yet, but I've read about it (he's written about it in at least two of his essays in his nonfiction collection, "The View from the Cheap Seats"). It's about a boy who promises to give a falling star to the most...

Reply

Ari Berri
21:00 Dec 23, 2020

I'll definitely check out Stardust. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
00:01 Dec 24, 2020

You're welcome. Some critics complained about the lack of allegory in it; other critics complained that it wasn't an epic. Neil Gaiman said in an essay that it's a fairy tale (no more, no less) and was meant to be enjoyed as such (like eating ice cream and enjoying it). Those readers who wanted a fairy tale were happy with it. Neil also said that if one day (long after he's dead and gone) "Stardust" itself was remembered, shared, and passed on, but the book's author was forgotten, that was okay with him. Also: There was a movie adapted...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
01:36 Dec 23, 2020

I'm going to check it out now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
16:21 Dec 22, 2020

great story☺ keep it up 😊 treat us more☺

Reply

Ari Berri
16:45 Dec 22, 2020

Thanks! I'll try.

Reply

Wirda Bibi
18:38 Dec 22, 2020

Good😀👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
10:15 Dec 22, 2020

A brilliant story 😀

Reply

Ari Berri
12:21 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Amel Parvez
16:15 Dec 22, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
21:25 Dec 21, 2020

You’re right, I did enjoy it!

Reply

Ari Berri
21:27 Dec 21, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
21:29 Dec 21, 2020

No problem

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
17:21 Jan 04, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
17:30 Jan 04, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Unknown User
17:43 Jan 04, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.