0 comments

Funny

Prompt: Write About a Character Who Is Obsessed With an Era They Never Lived Through

Disclaimer-Everything in this story is a work of my imagination. Any reference to any person, alive or dead is coincidental and I apologize if that does occurs. 

I, Deborah Sawyer, have fifties’ fever. The fiftie were the happiest times and I really wish I was born then instead of the eighties. Everyday, my outfit and choices reflect my 1950’s lifestyle. My clothes are all dresses with big skirts and fun colors and patterns. My favorite is yellow, with a collar, buttons, and cuffs on the sleeves. Or maybe the red dress with the birds on it! I even have a poodle skirt for sock hop parties at the town diner! I also own two pairs of saddle shoes, and three sets of wedges, and one pair of cute Mary Jane flats, even though they didn’t become popular with adults until the sixties. I live in a house reminiscent of a fifties museum, and I constantly thrift for more relics of that wonderful time period. I use only authentic fifties appliances because they are built to last. And no, I don’t use a phone (except a wall telephone), laptop, tablet, video game (except arcade games), GPS, or hardly any modern technology, not including a microwave (I love my microwave) and my big television, but it only gets reruns of old shows in black and white.

My day to day routine is certainly unique when compared to other people’s twenty first century lifestyles.  

A typical day in my life begins rather early, at around 6 a.m., when I am awoken by either my alarm clock (analog) or my cat Checkers. I get up and go cook a delicious, healthy breakfast on my teal 50’s stove after giving Checkers some tuna fish. As for my breakfast, I might have eggs or perhaps a few buttermilk pancakes. After I eat and wash my dishes by hand, I take out my curlers and style my hair with a big comb that once belonged to my grandmother, who is the lovely woman who made me fall in love with the fifties in the first place. I look through my dresses and decide on one-today it’s black with a red belt-like sash and an absolutly adorable cherry print. Then I do my makeup-lightly of course! I only use authentic fifties products, like rouge, cake mascara, and a gentle face powder. I accessorize with simple silver stud earrings, a silver necklace with a simple cherry shaped pendant, and red wedge shoes. 

` After I am all ready to go, I will head out in my sparkling blue 1957 Nash Cosmopolitan, which certainly catches peoples’ attention on the road when I head to work. It’s an extremely beautiful car that runs very smoothly, and I hardly ever need any repairs. I actually really love going to work because I have a job at a women’s history museum, and I never have to leave the past.

I work mostly as a tour guide except when needed for other small tasks. On weekdays, I especially enjoy field trip groups from elementary schools. I love taking kids through the vast museum and seeing the looks on their faces as they see how people used to live their lives. Some common remarks are things like, “No Internet?” or “What do they even do with no technology? Boring!!”

After a morning shift at the museum, I go get lunch at the diner in town-Jennifer’s Place. It really reminds me of sock hop diners from the fifties, and it even has a colorful jukebox! My nickel goes in, and the restaurant is filled with sweet fifties rock and roll music. I usually order a hamburger with pickles and tomato, and a cherry cola to drink. I also typically have a hot fudge sundae-lots of sprinkles!- for dessert. Then I dance in my seat while I enjoy the music and atmosphere, embarrassing others while I have a blast. 

Then comes the best part of my day-going to a couple of thrift shops! I love going to stores like Allen and Amanda’s Amazing Antique Shop, Sam’s Super Special Souvenir Shop, as well as Rosie’s Used Goods, especially because I want to support small businesses. Today I didn’t find anything interesting, and I was a bit disappointed. I was looking for a toaster or some figurines to add to my fifties memorabilia collection. I head home to sit on my old, cozy couch with my cat, Checkers, while we watch old television reruns. Tonight I had a television dinner cooked in my microwave (I told you I love my microwave!), however I typically eat and prepare a home made dinner, especially foods such as macaroni and cheese, toasted cheese sandwiches, or salads with chicken-and cheese. I really, really love cheese. 

My nighttime routine is just like a reverse morning one! I take off my makeup with water and a cloth, which doesn’t always do the job, but oh well. I might have some pimples pop up to say hello tomorrow. Then I undress and draw a hot bath with some lavender oil and bubbles. I curl up with an old book in the warm tub and soak. After I finish a chapter or two, I wash myself and dry off with a fluffy white towel.. I dress into my plain nightgown and put my hair up for the night in my foam curlers and some bobby pins. 

I love living in a fifties lifestyle because it suits me and makes me really happy. I think my cat likes it, too! My family and friends think I’m strange, but I don’t care. This way of life really makes me unique and joyful, and sets me apart from anybody else. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! YOU ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST! Please comment any suggestions because I am always looking to improve. If you enjoyed this story, please like and check out my others if you want to!

September 28, 2020 15:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.