Empath Energy

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Holiday Desi

Agitated beeping, like an insolent child's cries roughly pulled Erica from her slumber as she smacked at her wrist sporadically...attempting to stop the incessant noise pollution. Glancing around quickly, she took note of her surroundings before diverting her attention back to the still beeping appliance as her mind slowly but surely eased itself awake. 

According to the neon green numbers currently illuminating the watch's dark surface, it was almost evening...which meant that if she didn't hustle she would be, not suprisingly, late once more. Hastily pushing herself upright from the gently rocking patio seat Erica stumbled over her own two left feet as her heart galloped away inside her, the departed were still just as impatient as humans...apparently feelings of annoyance and irritation were strong enough to go beyond the living realm.

The cool September air weaved it's gentle fingers through her dark curls, sending them streaming out behind her like a makeshift cape as she inhaled deeply...the faintest hints of jasmine and freshly mowed grass marking the beginning of Spring. Despite the pleasent evening, there was hardly anyone out which meant that the young woman could easily duck under the locked gates of the local park without anyone questioning her...as much as she loved living in a small town the endless nosiness of her neighbours never ceased to amaze her.

The moment she passed the first few towering gums of the park, goosebumps erupted across her sensitive skin as the air temperature dropped several degrees. The dark foliage of the ancient trees creating an almost sacred sort of atmosphere as the faint glitterings of Venus and Proxima Centauri began to peak through the thin Cirrus cloud layer, the day rapidly retreating as night took it's place.

The first few members of her group were mingling around the rose garden gazebo, their forms brighter tonight...their normal slightly transparent forms bolder, cleaner.

" Hi guys, Is it close to the solstace as you seem a lot more...well alive tonight."

The dark haired woman barked out a laugh...her chuckle quickly trailing off as she took in the intense range of expressions on her friends faces. She had been acting as a channel between the energetic planes since late primary school, ever since she had realised that the slightly translucent people that followed her around...calling out to her were actually souls that had either recently departed and were looking for guidance or who were simply just sticking around for their own purposes. 

Her grandmother was a member of the latter and was currently staring at her in a pecuilar mix of sadness and shock. Next to the elderly woman, one of the more mischievous spirits was eyeing Erica with blatant amusement...that wasn't good.

" What's the matter? Where are the souls I need to help guide across today?"

She questioned as she looked around the clearing, yet the small huddle of frightened looking apparations standing closeby were looking at her in resignation as well.

" What?"

She queried once more, her brow furrowing in confusion as she felt her heartrate begin to quicken once again, something was wrong. Holding a hand to her chest in an attempt to curb the oncoming panic attack, she inhaled deeply and tried to relax, there was no point in stressing out her already weak heart over trifle matters. Practicing what the cardiologist had walked her through multiple times, Erica focused on her senses...on mindfullness, on being in the moment.

The faint scents of jasmine and the freshly mowed grass from earlier had all but disappeared from the air, tilting her head towards the darkening sky she breathed in the cool air only to have the strangest sense of loss...there was nothing, no scent of anything. Brushing this aside she focused on her next perception, touch. Carefully walking over to the nearby rose trees she reached out to touch the prickly surface, only to feel nothing once more. She knew she had made contact with the plant...so what was happening?

" But earlier...earlier it had smelt like Jasmine..."

Was all she managed to stammer out as her mind whirled, her logical mind refusing to accept what her soul knew was true. 

" It kicks in swiftly aye doesn't it? Took me quite awhile to live with the loss of senses, yet you helped me through it didn't you? It's only fair that we now do the same."

For Georgia, one of the most mischievous and troublesome spirits she had ever met to actually show some geuinine emotion...Erica knew something must be very wrong. Despite her rational mind rejecting the concept, Erica knew just from the pitying look etched onto her grandmother;s face that the worse had happened...her heart had finally carked it. 

It was what her parents lived in constant fear of, their youngest daughter suddenly passing from a genetic heart disorder she had been born with...following in the path of her grandmother. That said grandmother was approaching her slowly, face etched in trepidation as she softly brushed the shoulder of her recently departed grand daughter.

" We all have our time in the sun...and we all have our time in the shade my dear. Whilst this stage of your journey has come to an end your novel is far from over darling...in fact is is only the beginning of your next chapter. You, like me were born with a physical defect yet I truly believe that it is because of this deformity that allows, well allowed us to act as bridges between the worlds...to talk to the other realms. "

Erica nodded slightly, allowing her Nana to embrace her as the familiar thudding in her chest slowly receded...now that she knew it was a phantom memory her mind no longer acknowledged the once vital organ that had kept her alive for a quarter of a century.

" Does this mean that we are going to have to find another Empath? They are incredibly hard to find and even when we do find one with the talent it's a hike and a half to get them to actually help and trust us. I mean what's going to happen now?"

Erica turned her head towards Georgia as the energetic yet pessimistic young spirit gestured towards the recently departed who were still huddled together, fright,shock and the tiniest traces of pity sketched across their slightly blurred faces. 

" The Earth is already overpopulated on a physical level, we don't need the astral plane overpopulating as well. Why'd you have to cork it Erica, honestly this is so selfish of you...typical."

Opening her mouth, ready with an angry retort she looked to the extroverted spectre before her only to have the anger suddenly drain away as she caught sight of the amused twinkle in the girl's eye. As annoying and as troublesome as the ghost was...she was at least amusing, even when the circumstances were the exact opposite.

Nodding towards the group of frightened looking spirits Erica addressed the crowd.

" I apologise, I know I was meant to help you pass on to the other realm tonight but I am afraid that I myself are now...well I am now a ghost myself. So my new mission is to find us another Empath, hopefully one that won't die at unfavourable moments."

Grinning at Georgia who had started chuckling loudly Erica lightly squeezed her grandmother's hands as the brilliant tapestry of stars above them began to glow brightly in the full moon's shadow. It was time to move on.

October 26, 2020 10:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.