11 comments

Drama Fiction

"Austin, what's today's date?" I ask as I think of what date I wrote on my homework yesterday.


"Dude, you literally asked me that yesterday."


"Oh, come on. I promise I won't ask tomorrow. Please, I can't freakin' remember the date. Don't make me feel even worse than I already do."


"TJ, you literally suck. All you have to do is change the middle number up a number."


"Don't laugh at me. Everything is just so boring. I feel like I'm constantly living yesterday over and over again."


"It's the eleventh of August. Do you need me to tell you the year number too?"


"Haha, hilarious.”


“Soo, what are you doing this weekend?”


“Ugh. Probably what I did last weekend. Do homework, take my sister to her violin practice, go home, pick her up, and then take her to her other-”


“Geez, dude, I get it. Same old same old. That’s really tough. How’s Starr anyways?”


“Let’s just say, when you’re a seven-year-old girl with bigger dreams than your big brother ever did at that age, you can be a pain in the-”


“Tauren Jacobson, are you on task and doing your work?” Mrs. Pikel asks.


“Yes, ma’am”.


“Students, what did I say about calling me, ma’am?”


“It makes you sound old!” the whole class shouts, trying to get the point across.


I pull out my phone from under my desk and text Austin.


“Talk to you after school?”


“Yea, just don’t get in trouble in the meantime.”


“Jerk.”


After school***


“Hey! Wait up! Stop walking so fast!” Austin yells while running to me.


“Sorry, I just have to hurry home and do another essay.”


I’m startled by a noise and my gaze glances at someone’s opened locker. In front of his feet are a pile of books that are tossed all over. A group of my classmates starts laughing and pass by Austin and me.


“Another one? Crazy. Didn’t you already have an essay due yesterday and then another due two days from now?”


“Yupp. Teachers just can’t get enough of my essays. Nevertheless, five pages worth. School stinks.”


“Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask… have you done the reading and questions on The Scarlet letter? My class is on chapter ten. Miss. Dyke said we’re behind, so that means your class is further ahead? Can you give me the answers? I read the first page of the book and let me tell ya it is sooo boring.”


“Nah, I haven’t done that yet. I have so much work piled up that I don’t have time to read a book about adultery. I have to worry about my own problems. Not answer questions about Hesters’. Use SparkNotes.”


“See the thing is, I would, but Miss. Dyke- I don’t know man. She’s scary and she knows everything.”


“Tough luck. I gotta go… See ya Monday?”


“Ugh. It’s whatever. See ya.”


The part where my Mom finds out that I’m doing terrible in school***


I shut off my red Chevrolet and head inside my house. Starr runs towards me with her auburn hair swaying behind her in a tight ponytail. I wonder just how people portray me as her sister if we don’t look alike. Maybe it’s her cute button nose that scrunches upward when she’s in disgust.


“TJ, TJ, guess what?”


“What?”


“Ma, got our progress reports. She said I did such a great job. She told me that she’s going to buy me new ballet shoes.”


“Oh, really? What did Mom say when she saw my progress report?”


There’s a pause between us. Her face is blank. Almost worrisome for what’s going to happen next. She turns around and skips to the kitchen probably wishing she had a responsible older brother that can be a good role model.


I make my way to the kitchen where Starr and Mom are sitting at the table. I walk to my Mom and give her a kiss above her golden locks of hair.


“Hey, Mom. How was your day?” I peer through the table trying to point out my progress report, but all I see are envelopes of bills.


“Mmm. My day was great. How was school? Want to explain why you have two C’s, one B+, and one D?”


“Oh, well, that’s not fair. You forgot to add the A-...”


“Yeah and that A- is in Italian. You’re good in Italian because you’re half Italian. That doesn’t count. Tauren Jacobson, I’m so tired of going through this with you. You’re a senior. This is not good for your record. You’ve been doing so well, kiddo. What’s going on? Starr has great grades, right now. Why don’t you?"


“I’m just stressed. I have piles of homework and everytime I finish one assignment it’s never enough because another one pops up or something. It’s like I never do anything and that it’s the day before and I’ve done nothing. By the way, all Starr has to do is color and make sure she knows the alphabet.”


“Hey! At least I know the date and don’t have to ask someone else for it!”


“Yeah, what’s up with that Tauren? Starr’s been telling me you can’t remember anything. Not even the date. I also heard you keep arriving late to pick Starr up from her practices.”


“It’s common to forget the date. It’s whatever. I’m fine. Starr’s a snitch. Also, there’s always traffic for no reason!”


“Give me your phone, go upstairs, and do your homework. To make sure you finish what’s due, you can skip dinner and when you’re done you can eat the leftovers. Get going.”


I hand her my Iphone and march upstairs. I open my door, smash it closed, and lean on it for a while. Why can’t she understand? She was once a high school student. Oh. I forgot she’s old! Ugh! I’m just mad. Nevermind. I throw my bag on my floor and throw myself on my bed. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe- I have homework to do. I get up and pull my swivel chair from under my desk. I open my Macbook Pro and start to scroll through the files of homework on Classroom. 


Starting again?***


I wake up from my laptop. Drool stretched out on the side of my face. I look at my screen seeing the essay that I completed two days ago but turned in yesterday. Why am I on this? I start scrolling down and see that the essay isn’t even done. What the-? But I turned it in yesterday, right? My phone dings. My mom must’ve snuck in and placed it beside me. I glance at the screen. 


“TJ, did you forget what today is? It’s not the weekend. You still have to get ready for school. Hurry up, man. I’m waiting for ya at the lot.”


I look at the date above Austin’s text. August 11, 2021. Huh? I pick up the phone and text Austin.


"Austin, what's today's date?"


"Dude, you literally asked me that yesterday."


"Please, Austin. I’m serious. I can't freakin' remember the date."


"TJ, you literally suck. All you have to do is change the middle number up a number."


"Don't laugh at me.”


“How’d you know I was laughing?


"It's the eleventh of August?”


“Yeah... Do you need me to tell you the year number too?"


“Haha, hilarious. Well, I guess I’ll be there in 25 minutes.”


“Yea, just don’t get in trouble in the meantime because you’re going to be late.”


What is up with this deja vu? Now I really feel like I’m living every day over and over again. It must’ve been a dream. Ugh. I was really wishing I could just sleep in today. Guess not. 


Starr barges into my room, looking the same way she did in my dream.


“TJ, TJ, guess what?”


“What?”


“Ma’s going to get our progress reports, today.”


“Yeah, I know.”


“You sound enthusiastic. Did you think it was the weekend, again?”


“Get out.”


“You’re just mad because at least I know the date and don’t have to ask someone else for it! Plus I’m telling Mom on you!” she yells, as she stomps downstairs.


“You’re a snitch, Starr!”


School***


I pull up in the lot besides Austin’s yellow Jeep Wrangler. He’s not anywhere in sight. Don’t blame him. I am a few minutes late for Mrs. Pikel’s class.


I walk down the whole just like I did yesterday. Same breaths, same clothes, same day just like yesterday. I walk to Mrs. Pikel’s room and twist the knob. The whole class glances upwards at my tardiness. 


“Tauren Jacobson, you’re late again, I see.”


“Was I late again yesterday too?”


“Have a seat Tauren.”


“Yes, ma’am.”


“Students, what did I say about calling me, ma’am?”


“It makes you sound old!” the whole class shouts, trying to get the point across.


I shake my head, trying to make sense of this all. My headaches from this confusion. 


“Tough morning, TJ?


“Ugh. Yeah. Austin, would it be weird if I have a dream and it seems so real that you’re actually living it in real life?”


“Nah, man. That happens to me all the time. I think. I’m not sure. Soo, what are you doing this weekend?”


“Well I wanted to sleep, but then you texted me telling me it wasn’t the weekend. I guess this weekend I’m just going to do what I did last weekend...homework, take my sister to her violin practice, go home, pick her up, and then take her to her other-”


“Geez, dude, I get it. Same old same old. That’s really tough. How’s Starr anyways?”


“I thought I- Nevermind. She’s going alright besides the fact that when you’re a seven-year-old girl with bigger dreams than your big brother ever did at that age, you can be a pain in the-”


“Tauren Jacobson, are you on task and doing your work?” Mrs. Pikel.


“Yes, ma- Mrs. Pikel.”


I whisper to Austin.


“Talk to you after school?”


“If you don’t get sent to the principal’s office first.”


“Jerk.”


Where things start to really not make sense***


“Hey! Wait up! Stop walking so fast!” Austin yells while running to me.


“Sorry, Austin. I just have to hurry home and do another essay that I thought I did already. Plus another one that was assigned today.”


I’m startled by a noise, just like my dream. My eyes move at someone’s opened locker. In front of his feet are a pile of books that are scattered all over. A group of my classmates starts laughing and pass by Austin and me.


“Another one? Crazy. Didn’t you already have an essay due yesterday and then another due two days from now?”


“Yeah... Teachers can never just give fewer assignments. Nevertheless, add five pages worth. School really stinks.”


“Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask… have you done the reading and questions on The Scarlet letter? My class is in chapter ten. Miss. Dyke said we’re behind, so that means your class is further ahead? Can you give me the answers? I read the first page of the book and let me tell ya it is sooo boring.”


“Nope, I haven’t done that yet either. I have so much homework piled up that I don’t have time to read a book about affairs. I have to worry about my own problems, right now. Not answer questions about Hesters’. I know you’re scared of Miss. Dyke and don’t want to use SparkNotes.”


“I’m not scared… Miss. Dyke- I don’t know man. She’s just weirdly scary and she knows everything.”


“Yea. Tough luck. I gotta go… See ya Monday?”


“Ugh. It’s whatever. See ya.”


As I’m driving my car home, I wonder, can I really be living my dream? Everything is the same, besides some words being switched about when I or others talk. It’s so unreal, but at the same time, it is. 


Mom is going to get my progress report today and telling by the extra overdue essay she’s not going to be happy. I guess I already know what to do, then.


The part where I just want to smash my head to a door***


I pull up to my driveway and lock the war. I open the door and Starr runs to me.


“Hey, TJ! Guess-”


“I know. Mom’s going to buy you new ballet shoes. Nice for you.”


“Meanie.”


“Since I’m so mean, I guess you can get your own ride to your practices.”


She sticks her tongue out at me. She turns around and skips to the kitchen probably wishing she had a better older brother that can treat her nicely. If only she knew the sacrifice that had to be done for her.


I make my way to the kitchen where Starr and Mom are sitting at the table. I walk to my Mom and place my phone by all the envelopes of bills.


“I know. I’m doing bad in school. I have two C’s, one B+, and one D. Sorry-”


“Yeah, and an A- is in Italian-” 


“Yupp. That doesn’t count because I’m half Italian. I know you’re so tired of going through this with you. Blah Blah. This is not good for my record. Sorry, I’m a disappointment because Starr does better in school than I do. I have homework, so I’m going to do that.”


I turn and start to go up the stairs, but my Mom calls me back.


“I don’t know what’s going on with you, Tauren Jacobson, but I will not have your sarcasm. I also don’t want you being late to pick up Starr or ask her for the date. You’re seventeen. You should know better. Go upstairs.”


I go upstairs and lock my door. I throw my bag and go to my desk. I space out for a while. I should probably at least do homework orr… I can just not do it and not waste my time orr… I can sleep and pray this day is over.


Day 3 of starting again?***


Since I’m not sure I’m going to start Friday again or Saturday, I stay lying down on my bed, feeling a little hazy. I’m not sure if yesterday was an actual yesterday or just a dream. Maybe I was just having a dream of my living a day over and over again. 


My mom intrudes into my room.


“What are you doing, Tauren!?”


“Um… lying on my bed?”


“I know that! I mean why are you not in school? You’re an hour late!”


I rub my eyes. “What? What do you mean an hour late?”


I get up from my bed and check the time on my phone. 8:30 A.M. Exactly an hour from the time I should be at school. Great. Now instead of my forgetting the date, I forget the time. What is going on with me?!


“Mom, trust me, I did not know I was late. I just woke up not even knowing if- I’ll get dressed right now and drive to school. Sorry.”


“Just stay home today. I have work today, so you’ll be here alone. I’ll call you to make sure you’re ok.”


Stay home? Would that- Could that- Can I stay home and- 


“Really? Today’s Friday right? August 11th?”


“Yupp. Ever since 12:00 struck. I think it’s best if you stay home. You might be coming down with something.”


Starr, the, appears by our Mom’s leg.


“Yeah, he’s coming down with the crazies. Mom, literally he’s so du-”


“Starr, that’s enough. Let's go.”


The part where I stay home***


Okay. So I’m staying home today. I don’t know how that’ll work, but if I’m correct, and I don’t even know what’s correct anymore, then I’m in fact repeating Friday for the third time. I don’t know how this is happening or how today’s going to pan out, but what I do know is that my Classroom File isn’t getting smaller. Which means I should probably do what’s assigned… or I can just fake being sick and sleep all day. Ugh. Procrastination. No! I have to do this. Maybe if I finish everything, my life will go back to normal. Honestly, if this is all a dream and I’m wasting my time doing homework, I should be ashamed of myself. Hmmm. I should probably start with what I thought I turned in yesterday. I don’t know why it deleted all I did. I spent so much time on that one essay. I should probably stop thinking of all the negative things that are happening right now and start thinking about how I’m going to plan out my rough drafts.


Everything I did staying home***


  • I’ve been at this for two hours and I’ve managed to write and research about four, doubled space, paragraphs. I had the great idea to transfer all the essays into a flash drive, just in case. Smart. 
  • Talked to my mom.
  • Ate scrambled eggs 
  • Texted Austin. (I was surprised he didn’t text me this morning).


“Hey, Austin. As you can already tell, maybe, I’m not going to be in school today. I’m “sick”. Everything alright at your end?”


“I’m so sorry, dude. I was going to text you when I didn’t see your car next to mine, but my phone died. I had to ask everyone in class if they had a charger. Thanks to Susie Mason, I was able to charge my phone for a while. Have fun being sick ;) You’re lucky. I hope you don’t get in trouble for not coming in today. Guess what? Mrs. Dyke caught on to me. I haven’t been reading The Scarlet Letter like I told her I was doing and so she gave me detention and emailed my mom. She’s scary, dude. Well, I gotta go. Text ya later.”


“That’s tough. Sorry man. Maybe we can help each other out, this weekend? I haven’t been keeping up with the class either. We’ll figure it out. Peace.”


  • I finished three of my essays. I need one more to do.
  • Ate lunch.
  • Texted Austin and scheduled a homework session for tomorrow.
  • Chatted with Mom and told her how I’ve been stressed lately with school and how I’ve redeemed myself today.
  • Apologized to Starr for being a douche of a brother. (She apologized back to me. She told me that she was jealous of having a brother that does grown-up things. I had to explain that high school is just the start of grown-up things. I also told her that I’m, slightly, jealous of how incredibly smart and talented she is).


I hope today changes what'll happen tomorrow.

March 11, 2021 19:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Jay DMer
19:13 Mar 11, 2021

I hope this story makes sense. I also hope you guys enjoy it for I had to delete some stuff because I maxed the limit... oops. Feel free to comment on anything you didn't understand or something. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ionel Rusanu
08:15 Mar 18, 2021

I am confused about this feeling of day on repeat. Is there a cause or just a feeling? And what about "Miss. Dyke"? I wonder if the PCs didn't jump on you for this...

Reply

Jay DMer
20:18 Mar 18, 2021

I’m confused on everything you just said.

Reply

Ionel Rusanu
21:22 Mar 18, 2021

I will reffer just to my last statement. Isn't ''dyke' an offensive word? (I am not English native so I might be wrong...) Is this suggesting that the teacher is a lesbian?

Reply

Jay DMer
19:59 Mar 20, 2021

No, the teacher is not apart of the LGBTQ+. Miss Dyke is the teachers name. Dyke is a word some girls use to identify what type of gay they are. The way you pronounce Dyke in this story, for me, is like saying Duke, but I wrote it differently.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:52 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Jay DMer
13:51 Mar 13, 2021

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu<3 Idk his Im adding that account. Attach it down below?

Reply

14:06 Mar 13, 2021

Np! :D Here's his account: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/3c54d8/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:32 Mar 12, 2021

This story actually wasn't confusing! I loved it! I like how Tauren changes his actions from the two previous days. That's a nice message to the story. This is definitely one of my favorites out of your stories. Tip: For the deleting issue, instead of cutting down large paragraphs and have the story not make sense (although this story still made sense), try rephrasing any sentence you can. That may only lessen it by a few words, but if you do it with enough, the story will become less than 3k words soon enough :) MINOR ERRORS POLICE, OPE...

Reply

Jay DMer
13:05 Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so much! <3 Cutting some stuff down I thought would make it confusing, but yeah I did that. I rephrased sentences as best as I could to make them smaller or cut out things I thought were "unnecessary". Omg, thank you. I knew I probably had errors and I read it again (sorta) and I thought I fixed it all, but thank you so much because I was hoping someone pointed them out lol. :)

Reply

13:28 Mar 12, 2021

Yw! :D Lol np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.