3 comments

Adventure Fantasy Historical Fiction

Daniel was a sixteen years old teenager living in Paris, who’s obsessed with The Italian renaissance, the era of the European rebirth, and he was always admiring Leonardo da Vinci because of his genius inventions and his artworks specifically The Mona Lisa, one of the most famous paintings in the history.




One day, the school organized a tour to the Louvre museum; Daniel couldn’t hide his excitement, he went to the bed earlier so he wouldn't miss the Bus, but he kept on overthinking about the Mona Lisa so he slept at 3:00 am. The morning while he was savoring his breakfast with his parents, the bus appeared from the window so he finished his cup of coffee in one sip and left the house.




The school bus picked all of his classmates up except his best friend with whom he discusses his interests, he caught a cold so he couldn’t make it, unfortunately. 




Once arrived; the history teacher allowed making small groups composed of two or three members but she requested a report from each member individually, Daniel decided to work alone since his friend was not there.




 The guide was explaining the history behind every sculpture and every painting of France during the 16th century, Daniel was looking around, hoping to see the Mona Lisa, and he was so impatient that he went looking for it by himself.




After a long period of research, he found what he was looking for; he took out his magnifying glass from his bag to check the authenticity of Leonardo's artwork,The woman in the painting sits markedly upright in a the armchair with her arms folded, a sign of her reserved posture. Her gaze is fixed on the observer. She appears alive to an unusual extent, suddenly Mona Lisa winked, Daniel scratches his eyes, he thought it was an illusion, before quitting the Mona Lisa’s room, he decided to take a selfie with the artwork, once taken he check the picture and he noticed something unexpected.




 Mona Lisa was grumpy, when he looks back at the painting nothing changed, daniel was confused, then he decided to take a last picture of the painting while using the flash, all of sudden she hides her face with her elbow. Afraid, he tried to run away, but she caught him from his collar and pulled him inside the painting. 




Once he opens his eyes, he found himself in Florence the old capital of Italy, the homeland of the renaissance,the buildings was inspired from the Roman architecture and replaced the gothic medival building which included columns, pilasters, pediments, entablatures, arches, and domes. the town was crowded and dynamic with the citizens and merchants, there was a vast difference in attire between the classes,Women wore gowns comprised of a tight-fitting bodice and a fuller skirt that would hang down to the ankles. Dresses cut to expose much of the neckline were acceptable and fashionable while Men wore colorful tights or stockings with a shirt and coat. The coat was generally tight fitting , They often wore hats as well.


Daniel amazed, he couldn't believe himself to the point he pinched himself twice , his dream became true.




His presence brought the unwanted attention of the citizens since he was wearing unconventional clothes, consisted of t-shirt, jeans and a pair of sneakers ,everyone was staring at him, all of sudden a robber stole his bag, Daniel chased him for a while, luckily he was fast enough to catch him, but ended up being surrounded by a group of thieves, scared he doesn't know what to do, he took out his digital camera and used the flash to blind them instantly.


Daniel escaped them successfully, he bumped suddenly against a woman and fell, when he wanted to help her get up, he discovered that she was Mona Lisa.


" Are you okay?" he asked her while lending her help 


She stood up silently using his hand and she nodded with a smile, then she continued walking while holding his hand.


it was his first time that a woman holds his hand for a long time, her hands were so soft and pale, daniel's heart was beating fast, his cheeks were blushing, she was very beautiful , her brown hair was very long and soft , she was wearing a dark green dress that reveals her cleavage ,compared to the painting ,her eyebrows were thick and her eyelashes were beautifully curled in reality .


"Where are we going ?" asked her Daniel.


" to Leonardo's home," 


" Really"


" yes " she replied


After a long walk, they arrived finally at Leonardo's house, Daniel was so excited to see him, he was living in a modest house where he works.


Lisa knocked on the door several times, but he didn't respond, he didn't open until they are about to leave.Leonardo was very attractive, well-proportioned, graceful, and good looking. He wore a short rose-pink tunic, knee length at a time when most people wore long gowns. He had beautiful curling hair, carefully styled, which came down to the middle of his chest.


He kissed them on the cheeks and invited them to the living room, Daniel couldn't stop staring at his painting.


Lisa was preparing herself so he can draw her a portrait, but the smile she was making wasn't genuine no matter how she tries, Leonardo angry, couldn't finish her portrait. he gave up.


Daniel offered him a chewing gum " here, it may help"


"What is that?" 


" it's a candy that you helps you focus, just chew without swallowing"


Leonardo started chewing while enjoying the flavor, and blew it 


until it popped on his face which made Mona Lisa laughing.


" Finally, this is what I am seeking " smiled Leonardo


He went back to painting and drew her while she was smiling genuinely.


Meanwhile, Daniel was exploring his design and sketchings, then he forgot that he has an essay to write, since he is stuck inside the painting, he interrupted Leonardo telling him about his issue.


" hmm...if you don't get out from the painting before the sunset, you will be stuck here forever," said Leonardo 


" What shall I do?" asked Daniel


"actually there is a hole in the sky " suggested Lisa


"how we will get there?"


"Actually, you can try my airplane that I invented but I am not sure if it works  "proposed the painter. 


Daniel and Leonardo took out the airplane from the house attic and they pushed it to it's the safest place away from people.

" Wait, let's take a picture together to make memories !" said Daniel while turning the camera 

" Sorry, I'll pass, but i"ll be the one who will take the picture "proposed Lisa

Daniel showed her how to use the camera then he stood next Leonardo, and the picture was successfully taken 

Daniel got on the plane, Lisa and Leonardo started pushing him until the airplane took off, they kept on pushing harder and faster to the point where the plane flew successfully and left the land.


Daniel can see the whole view of the city, he took a deep breath and raised the flywheel to go higher and reached the hole, and jumped inside. 


 All of a sudden Daniel was rejected out of the painting and fell, he was grateful that he was back to the present, he ran to join his classmates but they already left the museum, The teacher and his classmates were about to forsake him, luckily they saw rushing to the bus.


" Where have you been? " asked the teacher " we looked for you everywhere?" 

" Actually I had a stomachache " replied daniel " so I couldn't follow you so I went to the bathroom" 

" I see, you are dispensed from writing the essay" 

The other students started protesting about how unfair she is, the whole bus became noisy.

"ok, calm down, you are all dispensed " reassured the teacher 

Everyone was happy and secretly grateful to Daniel, once he came home, he went to his room and recalled the taken picture, he turned on the camera, he couldn't help but laugh at the gum stuck at the beard of Leonardo, he must be struggling to take it off.

October 02, 2020 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Sandy Buxton
23:05 Oct 07, 2020

Hajar, Interesting angle. Fun to have her interacting with him as the painting. Be careful with the verb tenses, maintain consistency. Nice job, keep up the good work.

Reply

Hajar Mjirih
10:15 Oct 10, 2020

thank you sandy ill be careful. next time

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hajar Mjirih
07:35 Oct 03, 2020

i hope you enjoyed the story

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.