16 comments

Fiction Horror Sad

The wind the last few days had been relentless, endless, spearing from all directions. It had ripped and whirled and twirled and screamed through the valley, bringing with it stinging rain and icy sleet.

But today…today it is still, and the sudden calm crushes her heart with fingers of stone.

High in the hills, standing behind the empty house, she gazes across the fjord and tugs her tattered wool shawl tighter around her shoulders. The lake below is shrouded in an ethereal milky mist. The brook murmurs its ancient song at her feet. The morning air is heavy. A chill crawls down her back.

“Ready?” Karl’s inescapably loving hand falls on her shoulder. She nods—a mute lie that does not matter. He gives her a squeeze, and turns back to finish loading their meagre belongings into the wagon. 

Life is hard here. Life will be hard there too. She knows this.

But the letter, he says, the letter from his cousin. Komme! Come and get rich! She agreed to go, though not because of the letter.

She casts a brief glance back and sees Ingrid and Erik weaving eagerly in and around the cart, dressed in their warmest travel cloaks. Their little laughs are swallowed by the vast mountain and stagnant air. She should help with the trunks, or at least keep the children out from underfoot.

Instead, she sees her husband’s attention is elsewhere, and picks and slides her way down the rocky slope. Grasping her shawl tightly at her chest with her left hand, she braces herself against the steep hill with her right. At the bottom and around the bend, she hikes her skirt and hops the stream. Cattle no longer theirs with rickety ribs and sunken eyes watch intently, but don’t follow her into the dark embrace of the imposing pines. 

***

Secrets. Karl swings the old trunk into the back of the cart. She’s always had secrets. He grunts, sliding and scraping it to make room for the children.

She’s disappeared again. He knows without looking she’s gone. He flings a pile of rough wool blankets on top.  

Will they get rich? He’s not that naïve. Making a new life, starting from scratch, in a strange place where they do not speak the language—they will be far from rich. But he’ll finally have her. Whatever her secret—whoever her secret—she can’t carry across an entire ocean.

***

At the edge of a yellow grass meadow dotted with tiny white wildflowers, she kneels at the small wooden cross Karl doesn’t know about, built with the hope of taming her little love's temper. My love. She whispers. Min engel. She braids a tiny floral crown and drapes it over the leaning arms.

She bows her head and traces her fingers lightly across the splintering wood. With a shudder, she recalls blinding pain and torrents of blood, the uninvited infant sliding still and silent from womb to world. Shame and loss had clung to her soul while she attempted to re-join village life in the following weeks, avoiding the stares of men and the whispers of women.

To fill the hole in her heart, she volunteered at the local school for a while, helping with numbers and keeping an eye out during the lunch hours. But she quickly realized there was often one shadow too many chasing the children around the yard. Inexplicable accidents, injuries and illnesses plagued the schoolhouse. Parents pointed fingers at the young unmarried woman with the less-than spotless reputation. She excused herself from the position, and the unhappy presence followed.

When she confided her beliefs and fears to her mother, the strong-minded widow had crossed herself and offered up a garbled prayer. Best not to speak of it, she’d said. Best to put it in the past and hope it stays there.

But of course it hadn’t.

The little shadow that she grew to both love and fear tugged at her skirts and played with her hair, and in moments of wrath could wrap the valley in wild tempests of wind and ice and illness. For years, the very sight of her spurred averted eyes and muttered prayers. The church turned her away and shops closed their doors at her approach.

It had been winter when Karl passed through on his way home from visiting a cousin. Innocent, handsome, and unaware of her peculiar affliction, he was immediately enamored by the lovely lonely young woman sitting on her mother’s porch. Everyone sealed their lips and held their breath, and later heaved a sigh of relief when she was finally married (in the church, much to everyone’s chagrin) and whisked away into mountains.

She never told Karl about her firstborn, the little shadow that followed, who taunts their marriage, haunts their children, and stalks them from the edge of darkness.  

Jeg elsker deg. But, please, stay here. She prays to gods old and new, whoever will listen.

***

Ingrid and Erik, nestled safely in the back of the wagon, are somber and quiet. She tucks them in with blankets and kisses their foreheads. They stare at her with wide blue eyes.

“Say goodbye,” she tells them.

The littlest one reaches out and tugs her braid to lean in closer. “Momma,” Ingrid whispers in her ear, “We shouldn’t go.”

“Why not my darling?”

Ingrid looks at her brother. Erik says, “Momma, he will not like it. He will find us.”

Startled, she pulls back with a frown. They know more, see more, than she ever thought they could.

“I have asked him to stay,” she says softly, but their solemn faces reflect her lack of conviction.

She gives them a forced, reassuring smile and climbs into the seat beside Karl. With a lurch, their borrowed mule tugs them into a steady gait down the dirt path on which they won’t ever return.

Twisting for one last look, she sees tendrils of a dense fog creeping down the mountain, weaving white wisps through the black forest. The cliffs on the other side of the fjord are invisible. The brown house with its white window frames and mossy roof sits dark and silent.

Ingrid sucks on her thumb and waves shyly, sadly. Erik grabs her hand and pulls it down, holding it tightly.

A tiny vague figure hovers on the hill in the gathering gloom, watching them roll away. She sends a final silent plea. Don’t follow. The worn road descends around the bend. Church bells toll across the water. A sudden cutting breeze slices through the veil of mist.

January 29, 2021 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Courtney C
03:57 Feb 09, 2021

Haunting but beautiful. Very unorthodox take on the prompt, but I loved it.

Reply

Christina Marie
18:01 Feb 09, 2021

Thanks Courtney!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:10 Jan 31, 2021

Christina, this story was absolutely amazing! Your description was off the charts, and you presented the emotion very well. It truly took my breath away. Keep writing! -Brooke

Reply

Christina Marie
02:17 Jan 31, 2021

Hi Brooke! Thanks so much for reading! I really appreciate the kind feedback. So glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

02:20 Jan 31, 2021

My pleasure! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roger Crane
17:48 Feb 10, 2021

Hi Christina. I think that this story was not up to the other I reviewed, but interesting in plot and characterization. The main thing that threw it off for me was the use of adjectives and some of your descriptions. You have, as I said, an imagination that helps in description, but I think that you overplayed your hand this time (despite the raves I see about it). I suggest that you read your stories like they were poetry, because that is what they are in good measure. Then you might hear the conflict in some of your adjective or adverb com...

Reply

Christina Marie
17:57 Feb 10, 2021

Thanks Roger. I agree this isn't my best work. It's something I've been sitting on for a while with the intention of expanding it into something much longer, and wanted to get some reaction to the general setting and plot direction. I haven't done too much editing and clearly it shows :) I do really appreciate the feedback. Would love to hear what you think about some of my others as well!

Reply

Roger Crane
20:10 Feb 10, 2021

Christina, I probably will review other of your stories in time. I am bogged down with my writing projects but wanted to keep my hand in with selective reviews here. I think that you were onto something with that story and I would not abandon it, but rather refine it. The concept is not exactly original, but originally treated by you. I think that some explanation of the attitudes and reactions of the people would be desirable in a longer story, developing what exactly they believe concerning her. For instance, it is not clear that they had...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claire Lindsey
00:11 Feb 07, 2021

Oh I can’t believe I missed this one!! I’m in love with this setting, the clever take on the prompt, and the style. You do an excellent job maintaining the eerie tone throughout, but especially in the scene at the end. The only part that threw me off was the brief switch to Karl’s perspective when the rest of the story is from the mother’s voice. If this hasn’t been approved yet, maybe consider adapting it so the whole story is from her POV. Or maybe part of the last scene could be from Ingrid or Erik’s perspective, so we can see how the k...

Reply

Christina Marie
00:17 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks so much Claire! It's already approved :( I did wonder about Karl - his pov is the vestige of when I had dreams of turning this story into something longer but kept getting stuck haha!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:25 Feb 07, 2021

Ah well that’s okay, it’s still really wonderful! If you do turn it into something longer I’d love to read it, I could see this being a fascinating novel or novella.

Reply

Christina Marie
00:39 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks! I think it would be pretty cool as well :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alex Marshall
23:14 Feb 06, 2021

This was beautifully written. Very creepy.

Reply

Christina Marie
23:16 Feb 06, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
20:17 Feb 05, 2021

Love it!

Reply

Christina Marie
20:19 Feb 05, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.