40 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Friendship

How's Your Aspen?

Have I ever told you about the time I learned to ski? Snow ski. Down a mountain. A famous mountain. No? Well, let me tell you about the time I learned, or should I say attempted to learn, how to snow ski down a famous mountain. Stop me if you have heard it before...

If you know me at all, you know I'm a rather conservative, cautious type content to live life within boundaries. Follow the rules, don't take unnecessary risks, always sensible, seldom try something unexpected. Okay, go ahead and say it...dull, boring, in all ways unexciting!

Well, once upon a time, about thirty years ago, I was feeling overwhelmed with my unfulfilling job and the pressures of raising four teenagers by myself. I needed to do something for myself. My high school graduating class managed to remain close to one another by having reunions every five years. One classmate left an open invitation to anyone wishing to visit him in his transplanted home in Colorado that they would always be welcomed. I decided to take him up on his offer.

Of course, facing four college approaching futures on one income, I had little funds to splurge on myself. The overall plan was to drive my mother from Illinois to my sister's house in Nebraska then travel on to Colorado by myself for a long weekend. I did not intend to do much entertainment, only take in the beauty of the region my brother had raved about on a summer trip he had enjoyed years before. My friend insisted otherwise.

My friend, let's call him 'Jeff' because that is his name, did quite well for himself in life as a real estate broker in one of the most expensive markets in the USA - Aspen, Colorado. His office was located at the foot of one of the most celebrated ski runs in the world. He would often take a long lunch hour to stretch his legs on a downhill slope. Besides being an accomplished downhill racer, he was also an avid big game hunter, hiker, mountain biker and all around outdoors-man.

Jeff owned several rental properties in his adopted mountain retreat so would house me in one of them with an amiable female tenant at no cost to me. I was expecting no more than some quiet time in beautiful surroundings. Jeff surprised me with a three day ski lesson at the famous nearby Snowmass Mountain. What! I could only surmise what that would cost! But he insisted it was a gift from him. After all, when in Aspen one must do what Aspenites do. Ski!

And so for three days I skied. If you can call hurling one's self off the side of perfectly good mountain skiing.

Day one:

Some time was spent in a class room setting being able to recognize a ski, boots, bindings, poles, etc. and discussing their various purposes. See how well the skis adhere when adjusted just so but are meant to come off automatically when certain force is applied so no injuries will occur? But, of course, in reality they will dislodge when least expected and be impossible to get off when necessary.

So once everyone is bundled properly and sized to the matching set of skis it is off to the 'bunny hill' to practice the skills involved to effortlessly, gracefully glide down a piste. But face it, mostly to master the art of falling down. Don't forget the all important snow plow wedge to brake the descent so one doesn't break something else entirely.

You also get introduced to the tow rope that gently pulls you back up the slope so you can fall again. Each time you get pulled up you get a fresh opportunity to fail in a new way. Once you have performed enough wipe outs you get promoted from the bunny hill. Lucky me! I made the cut! Just barely! Tomorrow I will get to go on up the big hill, the Blue Hill. So named because you will come back with more than a few blue bruises, no doubt.

Day Two:

Dawned bright and sunny the same as my disposition undoubtedly because I was naive as to what was in store for the day. The easy Blue Hill lived up to its calling. Our original newbie class divided into those needing more time on the bunny hill and those ready to tackle more demanding skill sets. How I managed to be in the latter I'll never know but there I was tackling more demanding skill sets. Like using a chair lift.

Okay, after the face plant off the chair lift and the liftee cleaning up the debris field left by all my gear, I caught up with the other ten or so in my skilled class. Remember I am a cautious breed and the sole breadwinner for a household full of hungry teens. I wasn't in any race down that hill. All the others easily swooshed by me cutting perfect arcs and turns.

Since it was a stated decree from our instructor that we needed to keep within close proximity of one another the group graciously pulled up and waited for my slow arrival. Oh, wonderful, I thought. A much needed rest! But no, as soon as they sighted me they cheered and set off again. And again and again this happened until we finally, gratefully achieved the bottom of this small Blue Hill.

Since I was there to enjoy the scenery, I took time on my cautious descent to enjoy the beauty. I couldn't help notice the woodsy areas along side the wide manicured path. Why were there tiny tots skiing or snowboarding in the woods? Weren't there enough obstacles available keeping upright on two long sticks and maneuvering turns and moguls, etc. etc. without placing humongous trees in the path? But someone informed me that little kids really enjoyed this challenge. It wasn't a skill I needed to embrace because I was sure I would meet one of those trees too up close and personal.

Exhausted by the time I finished the run but pleased with my new found abilities the instructor informed us that tomorrow we would be going to the top of the mountain (that wasn't the top today?). It would take two different lifts to get that far up. There would be a refreshment stand half way down to have lunch. Mostly we would be traveling a Green Trail but if any of the more advanced students wanted more challenge they could do a Red, but still no Black Diamonds. Please!

Day Three:

I found a kindred spirit. I'll call her 'Lincoln' frankly because I can't remember her name but she was from Lincoln, Nebraska. Close enough. She had a similar job as I had, security in an energy plant. She was around my age with half as many kids. She also was playing a cautious card. We took our time conquering that mountain as the others scattered to trails unknown.

The day was cloudy with threats of snow so we felt safer going slower through whiteout conditions. Lunch on top of the mountain was adventuresome. The 'refreshment stand' was more of a full-fledged five star restaurant where we people watched. Anyone famous? Overall we enjoyed the experience very much. Somehow I managed to get back to home away from home all in one piece.

The following day, sans skis, Lincoln and I window shopped among the renowned shops in downtown Aspen. We gawked at the artwork, fingered the same soft woolen scarves, gasped at the same fashions (or prices of), savored the same aromas of candles and bath salts, inhaled the same tempting mouthwatering menu selections of the rich and famous. We settled on a creamy coffee and crusty, buttery bakery indulgence.

Jeff was such a gracious host. He was always surrounded by friends. Some artists and musicians. The first evening everyone went out for sushi. I never tried sushi before so that was something new, too. Not a hobby I'll want to take up, though. The second night a friend held a party at his house. We enjoyed hot-tubing in freezing temperatures. Another new experience for me, of course.

It was the end of March but one night two feet of snow fell. As a non-paying guest in her home I thought the least I could do was shovel out the walkway, the long walkway, of the woman's home I was staying in after she left for work. After an hour of cold shoveling I uncovered a jeep with a snowplow attached in the parking space in front of her house. I discovered even more new sore muscles than the ones I was using on the slopes.

The last day I was there Jeff had me stay at his place. He rented it out for the winter and had only moved back in himself. Along with his lovely girlfriend he had a couple of other overnight guests. He put me up in a luxurious guest room in a king-sized bed. Once again a first for me.

Overall, I played in the playground of billionaires enjoying an incredible vacation in one of the most expensive cities in the US and never spent a dime, thanks to Jeff's generosity, other than the gas for my trusty Chevy Cavalier that fought hard to make it up those mountain peaks. The scenery through the passes was magnificent living up to the purple majesty reputation. I couldn't imagine how some of those highways clinging to the cliffs and tunnels barreling through granite were built. It was awesome new terrain for me to traverse.

A week after my relaxing and refreshing mental break from my boring routine at home learning and experiencing uncharted explorations I was laid off from my unexciting job! Okay...! Now the start of another new adventure. But, say! How's your Aspen?

April 25, 2024 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

LeeAnn Hively
02:50 May 03, 2024

This story had that flowing feel of listening to it on a patio sipping tea as a colorful friend makes us laugh. Well done :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:10 May 03, 2024

Thanks for the compliment:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
18:54 May 01, 2024

I love the tone and humor of this throughout and especially in the beginning!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:01 May 01, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:30 Apr 30, 2024

I enjoyed your story Mary. I think you were brave to try something new as I’m not crazy in heights. The scenery alone must have been spectacular.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:03 Apr 30, 2024

Best scenery ever but I prefer the long view the best.😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ralph Aldrich
04:52 Apr 30, 2024

It reminded me of a Neal Simon play

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:01 Apr 30, 2024

Thanks.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:16 Apr 28, 2024

Adorable and cozy story. Thank you!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:19 Apr 28, 2024

It was quite cozy. Good word. Thanks!🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:07 Apr 28, 2024

Thanks for story Mary. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good humour throughout. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:16 Apr 28, 2024

Happy it made you happy☺️.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:30 Apr 28, 2024

Nice and smooth, the story flows. Caught my attention till the end. Never skied, but seems fun. Nice work.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:12 Apr 28, 2024

Glad you liked. Soon after this I gifted my college aged kids ski lessons on one of our Midwestern hills. The difference was tremendous. After a short trip downhill I was so amazed that was the end already.😄 They picked it up so much faster than I had and a couple of the guys went nearly immediately from bunny hill to black diamonds, though I doubt they were as challenging as the ones in the Rockies!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
18:13 Apr 28, 2024

Great for them. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
06:14 Apr 28, 2024

What an enjoyable read! I live in the U.K. and don’t know Aspen at all, nor have I ever been skiing, but you made it all come alive.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:00 Apr 28, 2024

It has been a while since I was there but Aspen is or was a world of its own. Rich people hide there in plain sight. Most of the area around there is national park so can not be bought or sold. Therefore, there is no more land to be had so prices skyrocket. Simple houses go for millions. Fractions of leadership do not want any of the big tracts split into subdivisions. The place really is a beauty paradise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
05:28 Apr 28, 2024

You bring the reader into the very being of the heroine. She becomes someone likeable, even loveable--and someone you'd enjoy spending time with. I'm going to be rereading this often and am looking forward to reading other stories you've posted to try to learn from your gifts as a writer.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:26 Apr 28, 2024

What high praise and thanks for the follow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
00:40 Apr 28, 2024

Your Aspen adventure sounds like it was full of surprises! From tackling the slopes to enjoying the luxurious side of Aspen, it sounds like you had quite the memorable experience. Jeff's generosity made it all possible, giving you the chance to explore a whole new world beyond your usual routine. And then getting laid off afterward? Talk about timing for a new chapter in life! It sounds like a trip filled with excitement and unexpected twists, leaving you with plenty of stories to share.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:19 Apr 28, 2024

Glad you enjoyed reading about it. Lots of fun memories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renate Buchner
19:25 Apr 27, 2024

I originally come from a ski resort and you described the first experiences well and yes, you can feel the muscles the next day. Well done, Mary! Great read!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:52 Apr 27, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
12:41 Apr 27, 2024

I've never skied, but what impressed me was making a friend in a weekend. I could try skiing, but the friend making would be monumental for me. Good read as usual.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:48 Apr 27, 2024

Just saying 'hi' is a good start. Gad you liked it.🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:40 Apr 27, 2024

You did well! No broken legs, collecting a tree, or getting lost. Wonderful experience. Good on the writer seizing this great opportunity. An enjoyable and humorous read. Great, uplifting story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:46 Apr 27, 2024

Glad you enjoyed my trip. And I did get tripped up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
04:30 Apr 27, 2024

Wonderful, light, comical, whimsical and uplifting. I felt a sense of fun and enjoyment reading this. At the end I felt sure this talented, friendly person would land a much better job and one she could enjoy more. Well done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:42 Apr 27, 2024

I had already embarked on my next career. The one I discovered what I want if I grow up. I've enjoyed massage therapy for over thirty years.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:34 Apr 26, 2024

Such an adorable one, Mary. The use of detail made Aspen come alive. The ending was...gaaaaah. Hahahaha ! Wonderful work !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:02 Apr 26, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
14:09 Apr 26, 2024

Fun and fluffy (in a good way) read. I think the character quite brave; I am scared of heights.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:21 Apr 26, 2024

I am that character. All the way up and all the way down.😅 Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
01:46 Apr 26, 2024

Very humorous. Used to ski when I was little. Was terrified of the big hills. Fun story. Entertaining and enjoyable. :D

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:05 Apr 26, 2024

So glad you found fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
01:25 Apr 26, 2024

Fun adventurous story with a great sense of humor mixed in. Fun read!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:38 Apr 26, 2024

So happy you liked it. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:26 Apr 26, 2024

The sore muscles, slight, or not so slight embarrassment of being last, the fading tan lines around your goggles, are luckily a memory that lasted longer than the agony of being laid off. Been there, done that. Thanks for reminding me. :-)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:37 Apr 26, 2024

Thanks for the sympathy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
22:16 Apr 25, 2024

Loved it ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.