52 comments

Crime Suspense Thriller

TW: mental illness, suicide

She sat on her cold bathroom floor, weeping in despair, wondering if she would ever be able to escape the darkness within her. The black cloud inside of her eating her up like a vulture. Weeping slowly turned into a loud cry when she heard her Aunt Marie scream.

“Siera?! Your mother is in labour”.

“Huh what?” murmured Siera, looking at herself in the mirror. In the blur of the moment, she wiped off her melted mascara, trying to fix herself into looking rather presentable.

Taking two steps at a time, she ran down the stairs. Upon reaching downstairs, she walked around the house to look for her mother and aunt. She entered the garage and found herself walking into a pool of blood. It was her mother’s! She immediately called her aunt Marie, but the ringing tone was a flat beep. Siera lay right next to the blood puddle- the beep echoing into her ears, disseminating an aura of fearful imagination, where the flat dialing tone transfigured into a flat line on the monitor next to her mother. Anxiety was reaching its height and the horror of losing her only parent was choking her to death.

The phone rang back at last, and her series of imagination got disrupted as Aunt Marie asked her to rush to the community hospital.

Trembling and sobbing, poor Siera reached the hospital. Running inside like a madman where she saw her aunt crying like a baby. Aunt Marie ran towards her and gave her a long, tight, homely hug. It was strange- the hug- Aunt Marie never hugged.

“It is a boy”, she said, sadly.

“WHERE IS THE EXCITEMENT? IS THE BABY OKAY? IS MAMA OKAY? WHY ARE YOU CRYING?? ARE THEY DEAD? ARE THEY ALIVE?? SAY SOMEHTING!!!” Siera questioned in fear.

“The fa..face..”

“What face..? what is wrong with the face? Asks Siera.

She rushes inside of the intensive care unit and witnesses their fate.

Siera, on the verge of having a panic attack, tried her best to stay composed and to be there for her mother. The scrutiny of the boy’s rare facial deformity took respite.

A few days passed. The shock of the baby’s abnormality escaped their minds and they were head over heels in love. Baby Sean had the attention of all three beautiful, exuberant ladies around him. Little did he know how miserable his elder sister was from the inside.

Aunt Marie and mama were so occupied with Sean, making sure he never felt any less of a human being for having a face that was not considered normal. Their world revolved around the baby, whilst Siera was nearly invisible for them; her anxiety, depression, self-harm, and emotional trauma remained unnoticed. Every time she gathered up the courage to ask for help, the conversation somehow turned towards Sean. She wished her condition to be physical- to be apparent- to be seen, for it is only bodily deformities and scars that tend to validate the severity of pain. She considered Sean lucky to have had a disease that the world could see, recognize and comprehend. She loved him dearly, but the ignorance she faced from her mother and aunt was an unconscious blame on his existence. It was the last thing she wanted, to feel any kind of hatred towards him. He was her only joy.

Years passed by with surgery on surgery for Sean. His face was getting better with time and treatments, whereas Siera’s mental condition only worsened. She would buy antidepressants from the local grocery store without any prescriptions and would nibble them like candies. The urge to defeat the monster overpowering her existence was taking over her sanity. She was going foolishly above and beyond to escape the darkness, yet escaped treatment at the same time. From excessive dosage of sleeping pills to cuts on her thighs and arms, she was losing it.

It was Sunday morning, she had turned 18. Little one on his tiny toes ran upstairs to wish his ‘darling’ sister a happy birthday. Looking for her underneath the bed, behind the door, on top of the shelf and below the carpet, little Sean stood there confused but thrilled to start the morning with hide and seek. Overly excited, dancing around the room and singing the birthday song, he heard the water dripping from the bathroom. Maybe she is showering, he wondered.

After impatiently waiting for ten minutes, with no sound and movement from the inside, he tries calling her out.

“Siera?? Siera?? Are you there, birthday girl? Come on come on you are taking too much time!” The door slightly creaks and Sean peaks in. He found her. Little one frighteningly jumps on top of her sister. 

“Sean! Come downstairs for breakfast, honey!!” said his mom.

The air resonated no sound, almost worrying the mother if Sean was playing with mud again. She goes upstairs. Casually walks up the stairways while calling out his name.

“Seany where you at darling? I have some treats for you, come to mama!”

No reply still. She worriedly rushes into Siera’s room to ask her. Upon entering an empty room, she feels a horrific silence she has never experienced before. Nervousness seeps through her pores as she proceeds forward with her footsteps- quietly and cautiously towards the bathroom door which is half open. 

A gasp left her lips as she stood still there at the entrance of the bathroom. Her heart ripped in two, her soul exits her body. Her trembling hands covered her mouth as a sob escaped past her lips, followed by a cry and she finally let go of all the misery she felt inside and cried for what she saw.

There, the siblings lay peacefully, in the bathtub- lifeless. Sean drowned in the tub full of water, on his sister’s lap. Siera’s arms leaning out of the tub, her wrist cut open, life dripping out. In a pool of blood she laid, which was hers this time, seeking death as refuge. 

January 23, 2021 22:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Komal Khan
14:05 Jan 25, 2021

Very beautifully written 💕🦋

Reply

Show 0 replies
Huda Ali
08:59 Jan 27, 2021

Beautiful piece of writing. It is so captivating. glad that you highlighted mental health and depression in your writing. It's high time we take it seriously. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to reading more of your work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aleezeh Moeen
08:51 Jan 27, 2021

I love this 😭 It’s so capturing and interesting, and those are the two things a good piece of writing should be!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maeen Aslam
06:02 Jan 27, 2021

Wow! This is amazing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eman Arshad
05:46 Jan 27, 2021

This is so beautifully written!! Felt literal goosebumps while reading each line. Can't wait to see more work by Zaynah. Super impressed

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rao Ibrahim Khan
23:52 Jan 26, 2021

Amazing job at this story. Love the way the details are put into words. The execution is remarkable and I look forward to reading more from this writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hadia Rana
18:53 Jan 26, 2021

Wonderfully written!!! I wish people can understand how important it is to take anxiety and depression seriously. Your mental health is more important than your career, money, other people's opinions and your families wishes.💔 Just because you can't see it like a broken bone doesn't mean it's not devastating to an individual...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fatima Javed
17:05 Jan 26, 2021

Hey, great job! Made my heart happy to see how good of a writer you are. And made my heart sad that what you wrote about mental health is a bitter reality. But it was necessary. Keep on writing! People need these words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Novera Khan
14:58 Jan 26, 2021

This was so beautifully written. You did an excellent job incorporating the idea behind how some people do not realize the importance of mental health. Adding in that stigma behind it all. Coming from a student in the field of mental health, you really did a great job putting in that aspect, and making the reader realize how importance this is and breaking that stigma. Suicide, depression, and mental health issues are very really things that not everyone realizes, this story did a great job in showing all of that. Superb job ♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maheen Khan
11:15 Jan 26, 2021

Beautifully written. ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayesha Asif
10:38 Jan 26, 2021

Well written.. Amazed!💫❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mominah Kamran
09:16 Jan 26, 2021

I......am speechless. This gave me shivers. I have tears on my eyes. Such is the power of these words. Keep it up, Zaynah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fatima Farooq
08:41 Jan 26, 2021

Excellent 👌🏻🌼

Reply

Show 0 replies
Muhammad Yasir .
08:26 Jan 26, 2021

Behtreen 👌👌👌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shanzey Fatima
08:14 Jan 26, 2021

Love this so much 💛 literal goosebumps. The part where you explain that though she truly adores her brother,the neglect she receives from her mother makes her think that what if her pain was as apparent as his,maybe things would've been different. It shows how mental health is still overlooked just because you can't actually SEE what the other person is going through. Keep writing 💞

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aruba Irfan
07:39 Jan 26, 2021

Excellent excellent work! Loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rao Daniyal
06:07 Jan 26, 2021

Excellent work!! Absolutely mind blowing 👏🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arfa Malik
05:00 Jan 26, 2021

i love this so much ;-; so proud of you sis <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:14 Jan 26, 2021

Pakistani compliment: Lag e nahi raha Zaynah ne likha hai xD Well written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maryam Khan
02:50 Jan 26, 2021

Wow it just gave me goosebumps! So tragic. Makes you realise how important health awareness is today. Can’t wait to read more from you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.