Queen Nightmare's Epic Adventure of Wrong

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: End your story with the line, “I’m never going out with you again.”... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Funny

Janna sped through the redlight her horrified sister, Emma held on tightly to the seatbelt. Janna was in hot pursuit of the car in front of her and she didn’t have time to wait for the light to change. She couldn’t let him get away. He had a lot of nerve doing what he did to her and he wasn’t going to get away with it. No, he was not, not today and not tomorrow. 

“Janna, you do realize that red means stop!” Emma yelled at her sister.

“I know that. But, I couldn’t let him get away. Not now when I am so close.” Janna replied, going faster.

“Ok, but it will do no good if we both die in the process of getting him or whatever this is.” Emma said, biting her lower lip. 

“We’re too close to turn back now. Look there he is trying to lose us on 5th street. I see him.” Janna shouted.

“You won’t get away from me!” Janna continued. 

“Janna, please slow down on this turn. I don’t want to be in a high speed accident. You know that there are no good looking firemen on this side of town.” Emma said.

“I did slow down but I am not trying to lose him. Look there he is. He parked the car. He’s running down Parker Street.”

“Please don’t tell me that you are getting out of this car and running after him.” 

“Janna, you know me.”

“That’s what I am afraid of. Well, I ain’t running. I am staying right here.” Emma said while giving her sister the eye.

“He can’t run too fast. I should be able to catch him.” 

“Then what Janna? What are you going to do after you catch him? Come on, this is crazy.” Emma told her sister.

“It is not that crazy. But, you are right. I am not chasing him. We’ll just wait until he comes back. He has to get her his car right?” 

“Janna, he might not come back to his car until tomorrow or the next day. We don’t even know where he went. So, are we just going to sit here all night and day like two stalkers waiting for him to come back when we don’t even know if and when he will? Come on, this is too crazy even for you.” Emma explained.

“We will sit for an hour and if he is not back I will go to where he is.” 

“Janna, What? Wait? You know where he is?”  Emma asked. 

“I think so.”

“Than sister dear, why don’t we just go to where he is. Why sit here?” Emma asked.

“Because I want to see if he comes back and if he comes back in an hour then I will know what he did if he takes longer than I know what he is doing.” Janna explained.

“You make no sense at all. Just about as much sense when you married him five years ago. I told you not to do it and now look at you. You are chasing him all over town while he does whatever and we were supposed to just have a quiet night out. I didn’t even want to mind you. I just went because you wanted to and little did I know you were going to trick me and we were going to go on a wild car chase and almost get killed.”

“Emma, you are so dramatic. We weren’t almost killed.”

“That’s all you have to say? That we were not almost killed?

Unbelievable.” Emma said, shaking her head.

“I know but you know this whole marriage has been unbelievable. I didn’t know what I was getting into. Well, I did kind of but I didn’t want to believe it. But, I have to believe it now. I can’t not believe it.”  Janna responded.

“Janna, if you knew what was going on before you got married, why in the world did you get married? Don’t even form your lips to say that you were in love either because there is not that much love in the world for this. Nope. We are acting like two fools chasing a fool. So much for our quiet night out. Did I tell you that I didn’t even want to go?” 

“I know, Emma, how many times are you going to tell me that? I know that you don’t like to go out and I know that I made you go and I know that I tricked you. But, come on, who else was I going to call? Who else was going to have my back and who else was not going to call me crazy two hundred times? Nobody but you.” 

“Well, I can’t argue with that. I will only call you crazy one hundred times.” Emma said laughing.

“Look there he is. He’s coming back.” Janna said.

The two women watched Janna’s husband jog back to his car but he was not alone. 

“Who is that with him?” Emma asked.

“Looks like he is with a kid.” Janna replied.

“Does he have a kid?” Emma asked her sister.

“No, that is not his kid.” 

“Janna, do you know who this kid is?” Emma asked.

“I think so.” 

“Well, are you going to tell me?” Emma asked.

“That’s his nephew, Carlton.”  

“Carlton? Who is Carlton?” Emma continued. 

“Carlton is his sister’s kid. He’s about 11 or 12 I think. “ Janna continued.

“Why is he here?” 

“Emma, I know he can only be here for one reason.” 

“And what reason might that be?” Emma asked her sister.

“It’s simple. He is cheating on me and using his nephew as a decoy so I won’t find out or catch him.” 

“Ok, do you know how crazy that sounds? I think you have been watching too much of that soap opera “All My Children” or something.” Emma said, looking at her sister with a side eye. 

“I am not crazy. And besides “All My Children” has been off the air for years. Where have you been? I know I am right.” Janna responded, shaking her head.

“You know what, why don’t you just go home from this wild goose chase and ask your so-called cheating man who is supposedly using his nephew to hide it from you.” 

“Janna, if you say it that way it does sound stupid. But, it’s not. I saw the same thing on that new show. The husband was cheating and tried to fool the wife.” 

Janna sped off from the curb and followed the car her husband was in a half a block until he turned on the street to go home. She turned down the opposite street in the direction of her sister's  home and dropped her off a few minutes later.  She proceeded to go back to her house to confront her husband.

Hunter  was sitting at the kitchen table crunching on frosted flakes cereal and reading a book when she walked in. He turned in the direction of the slamming door and rolled his eyes at the sight of his wife and smirked.

“I know what you have been doing?” Janna said.

“And what do you know?” Her husband asked not looking up from his book.

“I know that you have been cheating on me every night for the past three weeks. That’s what I know. I followed you tonight.”

“Oh you followed me? Well, then you know it all right?” Hunter, her husband said.

“Yes, the only thing I don’t know is who the woman is.” Janna continued.

“Janna, let me explain. You don’t know anything. What I have been doing for the past few weeks is going to night school. There is no woman and by the way I knew you were following me tonight or trying to.” 

“Oh that is a lie. I know you are seeing someone and you are using your nephew for a decoy. So, tell me who she is?” Janna yelled.

Hunter moved from the table and picked up the book he was reading and put it on the coffee table in front of the old leather couch in the living room. He smirked and pointed to the book.

“Janna, look at the title of the book. What does it say? If I were cheating why would I be reading a Phycology book?” He laughed.

Janna looked at the book and back up at Hunter and mentally put the pieces together. He was picking up his nephew to take him with him to night school. That is all she saw. She was so embarrassed.

“Well, it looked like you were cheating. How come you didn’t tell me that you were going back to school?” Janna asked.

“I did tell you but you are so caught up in not listening to me that you probably didn’t even remember.” Hunter said laughing.

“Okay, maybe you are right. I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions. But, it did look strange.” 

“Janna, Janna, Janna you should know me by now and know I would never cheat. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a test to study for.” Hunter walked into their bedroom and closed the door.

Janna knew she had to do one more thing before she went to bed. 

“Emma, this is Janna. I need to tell you that I was wrong. Hunter wasn’t cheating, he was going to school.” 

“Seriously? All that and he was only going to school?” Emma asked.

“Yes. I was so wrong.” Janna laughed.

“I am never going out with you  again.” Emma said as she hung up the phone.

July 27, 2021 21:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.