FLIGHT OF FANCY

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story in which the same line recurs three times.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

(This story is set in earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is 800 years younger and is evolving.)

The Ruby Isle was a prosperous place and Moz was a leading merchant with much wealth. He had an only son Beq who was a handsome young man. The parents were on the lookout for a woman to be his wife. His wife’s choice was one Mumu but before deciding on the future they chose to consult Wizma who was wizard and witch besides being an expert in palm reading. Wizma came and Beq and his mother joined Moz. They were all dressed in traditional pareyous which covered both men and women from waist down. Wizma got Beq’s right palm thoroughly cleaned and then studied the lines. After a while she said “I can foresee the happenings. May I speak?”

Moz said “Of course, but be truthful and I’ll reward you adequately.”

She said “I’ve read 3 lines on his palm: Beq, within about 3 months you’ll go on a sea voyage. Following that you’ll get married. You’ll return home safe but could face problems thereafter.”

Moz said “Is that all you can say? I’ve firmly opposed Beq’s travelling by sea. I continue to oppose it.”

Mrs.Moz said “I’ve decided that Beq should marry Mumu after she comes of age.”

Wizma said “I’ve merely spoken what the three lines on Beq’s palm tell me.”

Moz paid her for her service and she went her way. He then said “Beq you’re our only son. Since sea going is so risky, I feel you shouldn’t leave our shores even though it could be tempting.”

 Beq said “Father I’m a dutiful son. I’ll abide by your advice. I shall marry as per mother’s choice.”

A month later, suddenly one day Moz got a message from the pirate Zip. He needed money to buy another ship and wanted Moz to finance it as he was rich. Moz not only refused but went to the Prime minister (PM) and launched a complaint of extortion against Zip.

The PM said “I appreciate your courage in coming to me with the facts. I’ll do everything to help you.”

However, heeding his wife’s advice, Moz started to bargain with Zip about the amount sought. Meantime there was a leak and Zip got the information that he would be acted against. He decided to teach Moz a lesson for going to the PM. He got his men to abduct Beq on his way home. Knowing that the PM’s coastal staff were alert, Zip himself put Beq on a ship and secretly left Rubi Isle.

On board the ship Zip said “Beq you’ll remain my captive till your father pays the ransom.”

A day later as they were cruising in the night the men on ship sounded an alarm. Zip was told that they had sighted the dreaded ghost ship and that it was coming after them. The ghost ship which was said to sail without crew and was known to have attacked many vessels at sea for no reason. It rammed Zip’s ship and sank it. Zip and a few men were drowned, but luckily Beq managed to get hold of a spar and swam on to be rescued by a ship midsea. However, there was a mutiny on board and Beq was cast into the waters. He managed to swim ashore and fell into the hands of a coastguard security staff in the morning.

The security, after questioning him brought him before the queen of Green Island where he was. Beq said “Madam, I was kidnapped and then was caught in a mutiny. I’m glad I’ve landed here safely. I request your permission to stay till I can find my way back to Rubi Isle.”

The queen said “You may stay in the fishermen’s colony.” She consulted her staff and said “You can camp with Stef and Merri. As to your returning home, it may take time as due to certain reasons ships for Rubi Isle are very few. Till then you’ll remain married to Merri.”

Beq was led away and on the way was told that Stef was a fisherman whose wife was Merri. He was also told that as the population was composed of very few women Green Island had permitted women to have many husbands. Beq could live with Stef, fish with him, eat at his home and share his wife Merri. Beq found Stef very aloof and unfriendly and disliked his company. However Merri was very young and good-looking and she was also attracted to him. Beq stayed away from Merri when Stef was with her.

Beq would go fishing with Stef who was a seasoned fisherman. It was he who would carry the catch to market. Merri cooked for them and Beq found her dishes very palatable but the 3 wouldn’t bed together due to Beq’s reluctance. They made a sort of non-intervention pact which suited Beq: She would be available to them alternate nights.

One night Beq said “Merri, why don’t you come away with me to Rubi Isle?”

“I would like to as I don’t like Stef but then he won’t allow it.”

“I understand a ship will leave for my land next week.”

“Confirm it and I’ll get Stef drunk when we could sail away.”

It was carried out accordingly but Stef awoke as they were about to leave. There was a fight between Stef and Beq when Merri intervened with a heavy ladle knocking Stef out. The two fled Green and in due course landed on Rubi Isle.

Beq’s dad Moz was happy that his son had returned but his wife was unhappy as he had brought along Merri. A few days after their arrival, Mrs.Moz arranged for Beq to take Mumu as his second wife. It proved difficult for the 3 to get on in the beginning but Merri with her experience managed it. A few months passed and there was anxiety as neither wife had conceived. Meanwhile jealousy had increased between Beq’s wives and one day Mumu poisoned Merri. Luckily timely medical help prevailed and Merri was saved. The neardeath experience perhaps had an effect on Merri who conceived soon after. This caused Mumu to leave and she found herself another husband as allowed by the law of the land. Wizma had read the three lines correctly and her prediction had come true. Three lines have spoken thrice!

END







July 05, 2021 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.