2 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Fiction

There once was a man who was skilled in all things, magical and non-magical. He had learned these things over a very long career as a traveling performer. The magic he would perform was considered out-of-this-world and became his calling card. Of all the success this man had, there was one thing that kept him awake at night: he had no one to teach his skills to.

Day in and day out, the crowds that he performed for were eager to learn from him. However, he sensed that they were only seeking his skills for fame and fortune. He had decided that if he were to teach his skills to someone, it would be to someone pure of heart.

He then saw someone. A poor peasant boy running around, skillfully, stealing what he needed to survive. This boy's sleight-of-hand was so quick, he could steal someone's coat and put it back before the person realizes it's gone. The man saw that even though this boy was skilled in larceny, he still had a compassionate heart toward all people, not just those in need.

The boy was so quick that he could almost be in two places at once, making him difficult to track. Being skilled in all things magical, all the man had to do was teleport to the boy's location. As soon as the boy laid eyes on the man, he stopped dead in his tracks. He didn't stop because he was impressed by the sudden appearance out of thin air, but because he recognized his performances.

"You're that traveling performer!" The boy exclaimed, barely containing his excitement. "I've always wanted to meet you." The man humbly replied, "Well, now you have, young man. My name is Rulis." "It's a pleasure and honor to meet you, Rulis.. My name is Jerry, although everyone knows me as Fog." Rulis shook his head slightly and suggested that Jerry would be happier being known by only one name. "What's wrong with having a secret identity?" Jerry asked, his tone sounding defensive. Rulis calmly explained that living one complete life would be better than two lives that are incomplete. Jerry seemed to take Rulis' words to heart.

"Out of your two names, which one makes you happy: Jerry or Fog?" Jerry thought about it then said, "I do like it when people refer to me as Fog. It's as if they are giving me their respect." Rulis then added, "Yes, it does seem like they're giving you their respect. However, have you noticed the people start to secure their most precious belongings when you're around?" Jerry started to realize that the people's show of respect was catering to his ego so that he wouldn't demand more of them. "I suppose you have a point there. The people's respect didn't feel very genuine. It felt forced, like people were afraid that I would take more of their possessions." Rulis affirmed that Jerry was on the right track. "Deep down we all want our heart's desires to be fulfilled. So, when push comes to shove, we settle for the lesser of two evils. Wouldn't you rather make people happy with your skills, rather than making them afraid?"

Jerry searched his heart of hearts and saw that he indeed would rather make people happy with his skills. "I do enjoy making people happy. I'm tired of feeling guilty for taking their stuff." Rulis affirmed that he had observed this in Jerry's actions before actually meeting him. "Well then, repent, and start making people happy. I'll help you every step of the way."

Jerry felt encouraged at his new lifestyle change. Rulis felt relieved at Jerry's change as well. "So what do you feel we should work on first?" After taking a moment to reflect on his old life, Jerry felt shame about taking advantage of people's unawareness. "At first, it felt exhilarating to be quicker than everybody's reaction time, but in the end, I felt a deep sorrow for causing confusion when they couldn't figure out what had happened." Rulis understood and then asked why he didn't return what he took right away. "I was afraid of the consequences of my actions. I didn't want to be found out." Rulis understood his fear and then explained that part of repentance is forgiving yourself. "To forgive yourself is to accept that what you did was wrong and then move on and not let it weigh you down. In other words, focus on making reparations."

Within the course of a couple days, the people began to notice the dramatic change in Jerry's lifestyle. The people expressed so much appreciation for Jerry that it began to fill him with a sense of nobility. Rulis had noticed that Jerry's face began to shine like the noonday sun. Rulis knew, at that moment, he had found his successor.

"Congratulations on forgiving yourself. Now that you have accepted what happened, you can transcend into who you were meant to be." Rulis' tone sounded as though he was expecting something to happen. Jerry's eyes got big when he heard the word transcend. "Who am I meant to be?" Rulis looked at Jerry as if he were a son he was proud of. "I've been looking for a very long time for someone I could teach my skills and experience to. I've already started teaching you my experience, so please, let me pass on the rest of my knowledge." Feeling an exuberant amount of pride and honor well up inside, Jerry accepted Rulis' offer. "It would be an honor to learn your skills, Rulis. I accept your offer."

"Well then, let the teachings continue," Rulis said after shaking Jerry's hand. "Where are we going to go? There's a lot of people here." Jerry asked, while looking around. Ever so wisely, Rulis replied, "Somewhere quiet, secluded, and isolated. You know what they say? A magician never reveals his secrets. We need to go some place where no one will see or hear the transferring of knowledge from teacher to student." THE END

May 20, 2023 01:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tanya Humphreys
19:07 Jun 01, 2023

In dialogue, a person speaking should be on a new and separate line; different people speaking should not be in the same paragraph, it makes a story awkward to read. I liked the idea of the story although it read like a first chapter or prologue.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
00:19 May 26, 2023

I like the story of searching for a legacy. Everyone wants to know that their life doesn’t count for nothing. A child is the best legacy.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.