Rise and Set

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: One day, the sun rose in the west and set in the east.... view prompt

10 comments

Fantasy

After the blackness of night, Earth's star rises on the horizon, spreading her gold in every direction. She comes in the way that natural forces do, needing not invitation yet feeling her welcome. The light is her gift, bold and free, for anyone who cares to open their eyes in the dawn and watch the world awake. This is our sun, a fire ignited to bring warmth to creation and inspire us to seek our own beauty within.

The sunrise is the warmest hues of the rainbow, the colours that bring a gentle passion to the soul. It is the calling of the skies to rise and be something great, a new person that is revealed to me daily as I work to become my best self.


The sun rose like any other day. Delicate yellows and reds filling the sky, perfectly reflecting off the calm not yet awoken ocean, tinting the pale cliff. But the picturesque site was not what I love most about sunrise, I love how it resembles hope and the promise of adventure.

The black sky gradually turned into dim grey and the illumination of stars got languidly lustreless. Millions of stars in the ebony sky started hiding their brightness and got slowly dissipate, as if someone was going to coming. Divergent birds were gently flying in manifest sky and their dulcet dawn chorus was easily audible.


The first orange hued rays appeared on the skyline, which went through the clouds and the prodigious sky was easily visible. The sun came out of its abode across the brilliant orange horizon and glimmered in the sky. The sparkling sun started slowly rising up the scarlet skyline, which clearly differentiated the sky and the land.


Now the warm breeze can be felt and the plants made a beatific smile towards the sun.

It was only hours later, sitting in the kitchen, watching as the grey light of morning bled through the West London street, brilliant gold and orange hues bled like fire in the east over the rivers and beyond the city. The first slither of the sun peeked over the skyline in a radiant, white form. Gradually it raised, a defined circle in a vibrant backdrop. The rivers were liquid gold and silver, leaving the mighty Steel City dull in comparison. As the sun fully revealed itself it seemed to swell, loosing its focus and spreading in contrast to Ariel’s contracting pupils. An easy breeze picked up and lifted to Ariel’s vantage point, caressing her face and softly blowing loose strands of her hair. Her dream was far away from her now, lost in the awe of everything. It was for this reason that Ariel came to this spot each morning, to lose herself in silent beauty.


Streaks of pink wander to the end of the earth, as a blazing orange sets fire to the clouds. A light purple reaches to the horizon. A cool breeze brushes against her skin sending chills all around her body. For a day to end so beautiful shares proof that life can do the same. Thoughts swarm through her head as the red fiery orb disappears. The sun is now halfway across the earth. The sun has set.


The morning’s sunrise was a breath-taking display of radiant colours. Bright streaks of red, pink, and orange slowly overcame the dark blue and purple of the twilight sky. The sky resembled a prism; all the colours blended perfectly into each other. The sun itself was just peeking out of the horizon, and its brilliant rays already shined brightly and began to warm the air. She marvelled at the glistening reflection of the sun on the ocean and a thrilling feeling of awe swept over her.


The sun set in the sky as fresh colours brushed upon an artist's canvas, as if those rays were destined to create a great work of art - one given to those open to capturing simple moments in the soul. The sunset is merely a prelude to the dawn, yet its majesty fills her mind with the most beautiful of dreams. As her eyes drift to rest she is one with the stars, her skin cooled by the breeze, and when she awakes the sky will be radiant with the first kiss of the new day.


In the east, the sun set in the sky as fresh colours brushed upon an artist's canvas, as if those rays were destined to create a great work of art - one given to those open to capturing simple moments in the soul. Liana watches the sea, lost in the rhythmic percussion of waves on sand. His eyes are steady to the horizon, face aglow with the last orange rays before twilight beckons the stars. His lips bear the semblance of a smile, just enough to show that he is enjoying his thoughts, whatever they may be. Lucy moves closer so that he feels her presence, yet stays quiet, allowing him to stay lost in the moment a while longer.


The orange gold stretches far and wide, the colour of fire hearths and tangerines. It is but the reflection of the dawn, the promise of the rising sun that comes after the velvety night has had its say and the land has rested once more. With the setting sun came a sky of fire, the orange of every wintry hearth. It was the battle cry to the gathering night, that the only achievement of darkness is to show starlight all the more clearly.


Liana stood watching the line where heaven touched earth. Her wide eyes witnessed the resounding glowing collision. Sparks lit the sky and blood poured, as the glory of paradise descended further behind the seam of the world. Liana felt small as she glanced over her shoulder and saw her shadow slowly shrinking towards her feet. She looked back to the line, only a few bright streaks remained to signal heaven’s passing. The sun had set. She sat in a room, warmly lit by the sun trying to prise the last of its amber limbs over the rooftops. The sky was dyed pomegranate pink, the colour farmers looked for during the harvest. What such wonderous sights to see.









April 28, 2020 21:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Chloe Alistar
02:11 May 04, 2020

This is a beautiful story with fantastic imagery. Wow!

Reply

Abigail O
13:46 May 10, 2020

thank you very much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pika Okoye
16:38 Jul 15, 2021

Oh........beautiful story, scenes perfectly described, each with a connection to the other..............the way the entire story kept the scenario of the sunrise and sunset as it's main focus along with those pretty terms used..........awesome. Super Great work👍 Would you like to read my stories? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shawna King
17:11 May 03, 2020

Beautiful imagery, Abigail.

Reply

Abigail O
13:46 May 10, 2020

thank you very much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pranathi G
14:27 May 03, 2020

Nice story! Can you read my story and give me feedback? It's called "THE TIME HAS COME." It's for the same contest. Thank you!

Reply

Abigail O
13:45 May 10, 2020

sure :) and thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abigail O
11:16 Apr 29, 2020

please comment if you like it and like OvO

Reply

Pranathi G
14:27 May 03, 2020

I do like it!

Reply

Abigail O
13:45 May 10, 2020

thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.