8 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Fantasy

"Congratulations to my beloved daughter, Princess Camile on her upcoming marriage." Queen Della said as she raises her royal cup in the air.

That's my mother Queen Della & this is my bridal shower. In a few weeks, I will be marrying a man whom I do not love. The name of the prince is Prince Jeremy. Jeremy and I grew up together but I've never liked him more than a friend.


Sitting at the dinner table I distract myself by looking at the sparkling diamonds that shine on my pink dress that was the only thing that made me happy. Family, friends & others chatter with bliss as they enjoy the pea soup that the cook had prepped for our bridal shower. While The pea soup that sat in my bowl has turned into frozen peas. If only those knew how unhappy I felt on the inside, wishing that I could run away & never step foot in this castle ever again. As I pick up the crystal royal cup that belongs to me the red wine swirls in the cup like a wave swimming pool. My mind seemed to think about my future with Prince Jeremy.


The sad truth is, there's not much to think about. I can't see him being the father of our children or growing old with me during my dying days. It's a dull image that appears in my mind when it leads to him. If only I could tell him my truth but it would only upset those who we care about most.


Our parents were the ones who made us marry one another. That's what happens when you become a princess. You can never make decisions on your own without the Queen's consent. My beautiful mother Queen Della gave birth to me at the age of 16. I was told that my father and she were deeply in love. I didn't know much about my father because he took his own life when I was just 2 years old.

I always wondered if my father was deeply in love with my mother why did he take his own life? I don't think I'll ever receive a valid answer to my curious question.


My mother keeps an artistic portrait of my late father in our living room above the fireplace.

when I was 10 years old my mother remarried another King, King Vance was his name. No matter how sweet he seems to be to me I will never look at him as my father because the thought of him replacing my father makes me sick to my stomach.


Even though my father is no longer with us his legacy must still live on. The more I stay in this room the paler my skin becomes. I must look at Jeremy just one last time, his skin was mocha the dimples are shown on his cheeks as he smiles at me. Jeremy reaches over & gives me a slight kiss on my forehead and whispers in my ear "I can't wait for our wedding day."


I sit with a face of disgust. My palms began to sweat and my stomach felt as if I was on a roller coaster. I stand up from my chair and proceeded to leave the table of others. My mother stares while mouthing "what's wrong?" I simply pretend that my hands were a cup as I put it up to my mouth. Without words, I tried to show her with my hands what I was going to do, which in other words get a glass of water.


My mother nods her head as I leave the room.

Instead of going into the kitchen to get a glass of water, I ran outside to get fresh air.

The air in my lungs needed to be released, I felt like the air in the room was suffocating me.


As I lay down on the grass it comforts me, I look at the night sky full of stars, wishing to be somewhere else but here. "If only I could run away & never come back to this place it would enlighten me," I said with bliss.


I didn't like being a princess it was too many rules to follow and not enough freedom. At 22 years old, I felt like I was a 9-year-old lost girl looking for directions to lead me to the right destination. The sad thing about it is I didn't know how I was going to make it in another world. All I knew was this place, "Phara." The place I've been in since birth nowhere else but here.


The place of generations of Queens, kings, princesses & Princes.


The ants that live in the ground underneath the grass began to crawl on my toes as I let out an outburst of laughter.

A shooting star shoots across the night sky as I laugh. "I must make a wish," I replied as I close my eyes. " I wish I wasn't a princess." The words I spoke flew into the air like the wind.


"I can make your wish be granted." The voice was said from an unfamiliar voice. The words whistled into my ears. As I slowly open my eyes to see who was the person of this voice, it happened to be a man dressed as a wizard.


I push myself back due to being frightened by the wizard. The wizard laughs as he does a silly dance in the grass. "Who are you?" I said with a voice that crackled.

"I am Winslow the wizard." He replied while bowing. I squint my eyes before I answer to see if this were just a silly dream.


"No, this is not a dream." The wizard replied as he notices me squinting. "Well, what do you want?" I ask him cautiously.


"I came purposely to make you a deal."


"A deal? what kind of deal?"


"You might want to stand up for this one." The wizard sticks out his hand to help me up but I decline his hand. I stand up and listen to what the wizard might have to offer. "I heard you say that you wish you weren't a princess anymore? Correct?"

While gulping loudly I nodded my head yes.

"Ok, then your wish is my command."


"You can take away my rights of being a princess that quickly?"


"I can but there's a deal I must offer you before we go further with things."


"What's that?"

"You must understand Camile that once I take away your royalty you will never have the chance to be a princess ever again."


As I stand with a mind of confusing solutions the wizard awaits me to agree to his devious offer.

"I will never be a princess again?"

The wizard nods his head no.

"What about my mother the queen will she ever know me? In other words, will I still be her daughter even though I won't be a princess anymore?"


"The queen will never be your mother, you'll be in a different world with a different storyline to live by."


"What about Jeremy?"


"What about him? You didnt want his hand in marriage so why worry about him. This is about you princess, you're more important than anyone else. I need your words for this wish to be granted."


I turn my head to take a last glance at the castle that was behind me. The thought of me being a princess will no longer be a part of my life. It saddens me just a tad bit. I doubt if my mother would miss me, ever since she married King Vance I haven't been a thought in her mind. Maybe this new life that Im about to discover will be the life I've always wanted. Happiness & full control of my love life.


Well, Goodbye mother, Jeremy & those who pretended to love me.


"I must have your command princess."

The wizard entails as he waits for my response.


"Yes, I agree."

"You agree with not being able to be a princess again?"


"Yes, Im not happy with this life, royalty is not something that I want a part of my life anymore. I deserve to be around others whose love is authentic.


"




April 04, 2021 19:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

E.C. Nickelson
11:43 Apr 12, 2021

I love this story! I love that, even though she'd have to leave everything behind and nobody would remember her, she was willing to give everything up for what she wanted!

Reply

Jade Orien🍀
12:12 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you for liking my story I appreciate it❤

Reply

E.C. Nickelson
15:07 Apr 12, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
E.C. Nickelson
15:07 Apr 12, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:43 Apr 11, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Jade Orien🍀
00:52 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you for liking my story even though I didn't finish it🤣 I saw in your comment that you were confused about the queen giving birth to the princess at 16 years old? How so?

Reply

Unknown User
23:29 Apr 12, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Jade Orien🍀
16:06 Apr 13, 2021

Oh ok.😊🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.