0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

    The building seemed familiar to her as she approached it.  Something about its art deco lines mixed with Victorian architecture struck her as strangely reminiscent as if she’d been here or dreamed of it before.  She strained her neck to look up at the towering structure losing it’s top to perspective and the high floating clouds.  

     Aida shifted her gaze as she stood on the sidewalk oblivious to the throngs of people walking about her.  For a time she stared at the glass revolving doors framed in polished brass swallowing and disgorging people rapidly as if the doors were some type of conveyer belt leading in and out of a plant that manufactured human beings.  But then why would people already formed walk in unless ….she shook her head to clear her mind and smiled at the absurdity of such a thought.  She inhaled deeply and took a few deliberate steps toward the building.  Immediately she discovered trying to walk a straight north and south line to the doors was difficult against a stream of people walking east and west.  After being bumped and jostled about several times she made her way through the revolving doors into the vast lobby of the building. 

     She bent over a bit as she caught her breath.  There were three security guards standing behind a curved counter.  Each dressed in gray suit, white shirt and black tie. The middle one, a older white man, was staring at her she noticed.  She quickly moved her gaze away from his peddling eyes. On each side of the counter were hallways leading to the various banks of elevators.  Her appointment was in room 2304.  Above each hallway in chrome were the floor numbers each bank of the elevators serviced. 

    “Miss. Miss.”

    She looked at the guards.  It was the middle one summoning her.  She didn’t like him.  He was old with withered white flesh and probably reeked of death just like her grandmother smelled when she died. As if she had been held in a cedar chest all her life to preserve her flesh from rotting until someone opened the chest on the day of her death to let air in to suck the life out of her. You're terrible Aida. But look at him. How did he end up at the later stages of his life as a lowly security guard guarding the entrance to a huge building owned by someone else or by some huge sprawling corporation with fingers reaching out worldwide.  Why that's no accomplishment. The man was smiling at her and with his hand beckoning for her to approach him.  She pointed to her chest and mouthed the word “me?”   He nodded.  

     I don’t like this place. For one it smells of a wretched familiarity that I’ve been here before and the outcome didn’t go well. From the moment I stared at this building from outside I sensed trouble or,  she took a deep breath, worse.  Her instincts were telling her to pull back and walk out while her common sense was telling her she needed the job.  She needed a steady pay check.  Plain and simple, she needed money.   She faked a smile at the old man and began walking his way.  That painting that looms on the wall behind these guards is gaudy.  It looks like someone just threw different colored paints at the canvas. I could have done that.  

     “Miss. Excuse me. Miss”

     She hadn’t realized she had made her way to the counter as she looked into the old man’s eyes.  Vacant like a sea shell.  “Yes.”

     “You looked a bit lost.  Can I ask where you’re going?”

     “I’m not lost. I have a two o’clock appointment with a Mr. Severs of Winters and Smythe in room 2304.” 

    “Certainly.  To your left then,”  the guard said with a smile revealing crooked, stained teeth. 

    Ugh. Why doesn’t he have his teeth fixed?  And that jacket of his looks like it’s two sizes too big for him.   “Thank you.”

    Aida turned and headed toward the elevators.  The sound of her heels echoed off the high ceiling and pink marble walls of the large lobby which she now noticed was strangely almost void of people. She turned around.  There they were, all three of the guards behind the counter smiling as they looked at her.  Leave this place.  Now!    I can’t.  This is the first interview I’ve had in over a year.  I don’t care if this place gives me the creeps, but if I don’t get a job I’ll be evicted in two weeks.  She doesn’t know why but she forced a smile at the three guards before going to the elevator. 

     The polished brass with its art deco design of the  elevator door reflected her image as she waited for an elevator to arrive.  Relax Aida. No one will know your outfit is two years old.  You look fine for someone who hasn’t worked in over a year.  The COVID put everyone on hold. You're like a thousand other people heading back into the work place so calm down, relax.  She straightened out her slacks paying no attention to her three year high heels with a tiny scuff mark on one of their toes, plucked a piece of fuzz off her jacket’s lapel and practiced a smile. 

 Mr. Severs, how nice to meet you.  I’m Aida Jenson.  I am so looking forward to working at your firm and if you don't mind too much just give me the damn job.  You don’t know how long it’s been since I was able to afford a halfway decent meal.  Food stamps and unemployment benefits only go so far you know. She pretends she is standing infant of Mr. Severs giving him the once over with her eyes.  Of course you wouldn’t know, would you?  While the country was besieged with a ravaging disease and millions were out of work  you were still working receiving a pay check, didn't you?  You were one of the fortunate ones still able to pay your mortgage, your other bills, car payment, have health insurance and eat well  while most of us average people were struggling to make ends meet. I can tell the pandemic had no effect on you.  Look at your suit.  Brooks Brothers no doubt?   And your wife and kids?  They probably spent most of their time at the pool in your backyard, had groceries delivered and shopped til they dropped on line.  Oh,  you’re not married.  I see.  Well, sue me for assuming then.  I just have one question for you.  Do I get this fucking job even though it’s seven dollars less an hour than what I was making before the pandemic hit?   

    She was nearly laughing when the elevator doors slid open.  In fact she was almost in tears thinking how hilarious it would be to tell Mr. Severs what she really thought about this job.  So funny in fact she didn’t even notice the elevator was not there when she stepped in….


July 22, 2021 13:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.