8 comments

Funny Romance

"So, ah, there's something you should know before we go through with this," said Clyde as he knelt in the soggy grass.


"Oh god, anything, Clyde! I love you so much!" Jessica cried, mascara streaking down her face. "I can't wait to be Mrs. Packer!"


"Yeah see that's the thing," he began tentatively. "My name isn't Clyde Packer."


Jessica's bloodshot eyes widened and the grin fixed on her face. Her voice shook. "What?"


Her mind brimmed with horrible scenarios. Had he been lying to her this whole time? Was Clyde on the run? Living under an assumed name? Oh god, was he in witness protection? He shouldn't tell her if he was. She blanched with the sudden terror that maybe she had been calling him by the wrong name this whole time and he never corrected her.


"It's Clyde Pac-Man."


"Did you say ‘Pack-m’n’?"


"Nope. Pac-Man. I go by Clyde Packer, but it’s Clyde Pac-Man.”


Jessica stared at Clyde, unblinking.

Clyde shifted awkwardly, balanced on one knee in the grass. Boisterous birds chirped overhead and his brand new fiance wasn’t saying anything. “Like the game? You know, little yellow guy? Likes to eat dots?"


"I know the game,” Jessica breathed. “Well, I see why you go by Packer!" So Clyde wasn't a fugitive from the law. She didn't think.


"Yeah. But. My legal name is Pac-Man and, so, yours will be too." Clyde eyed the diamond ring on Jessica's finger as though it might explode.


"So I'll be… Ms. Pac-Man?" Her head felt light.


"Well, Mrs. Pac-Man, technically, but yeah," Clyde admitted. Jessica sat down in the grass next to her still-kneeling fiance. He rocked back on his heels and squatted in the grass. He wanted to be ready for a quick escape after dropping his bombshell.


"That's kind of funny, but it could be worse. I’m sure I've heard worse names," Jessica placated her fiance and rubbed his back. She considered a mutual acquaintance named Ronald McDonald. He managed. She knew someone who knew someone named Chris P. Bacon. And what did Elon Musk name his baby? Surely being Ms. Pac-Man wouldn’t be so terrible. She kissed his hair and something dawned on her. Jessica stopped and pulled back.


"Wait. Clyde…"


"Yeah," he sighed. "I'm named after one of the ghosts."


Jessica flattened her lips and tried to stop smiling. "So, which one is that?"


"...It's the orange one."


Jessica lost it. Laughter ripped through her and Clyde sat down hard, dropping his head in his hands. He clutched the ring box against his temple.


"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Okay so why don't you change your name if it bothers you?" She swallowed her giggles.


"Can't. Dad changed our last name after he beat the game before I was born. I told you about that, right? That he was the first person to get 3 million-something points?"


"Yeah but you never mentioned anything about naming you after a video game. I didn't know he was, like, a superfan."


"He wasn't. He isn’t. I guess Namco - that's the game maker - contacted Dad and offered up a contract. A big annual stipend if he changed his name. Sort of like a living breathing advertisement, you know?"


"But Frederick isn't one of the ghosts.."


"No, I know. He negotiated the contract so that he only had to change our last name. But that meant payout payouts doubled if he named me Clyde. Or Pinky if I was a girl."


"Can't you change it now?" Jessica repeated. "You're an adult."


"Sure, but if I break the contract, he forfeits the second half of the stipend. Not just future payments, but all the money he made from naming me Clyde Pac-Man. Owing that kind of money would ruin him."


Jessica wasn’t laughing anymore. She considered Frederick and Merideth Packer’s impressive home. She had never known Mr. Packer (Mr. Pac-Man, she reminded herself) or his wife to work for a living, but assumed they were old enough to retire. Jessica had not considered the possibility that they had retired young. Now that she thought about it, there were quite a few old arcade games in their finished basement. She remembered seeing several editions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man in the collection. There were even some of the newer versions on nicer consoles. She remembered the plaque on the wall stating that he had achieved the highest possible score in the game back in the 90s. She knew he was the first one to do it and was vaguely impressed by this feat, but, since she was never much of a gamer, she didn’t give it much thought. Clyde’s admission cast a whole new light on the basement.


“And I know it's kind of sexist, but the contract says you'll have to take my name. If you do, we get payments, too.” Clyde looked up hopefully. 


Jessica wobbled her head on her shoulders. "Okay, I could just do like you do and say my name is Packer. I’d use the legal version only when I had to. Nobody would know! I mean, all this time I never knew your legal name. It can’t be that bad." She considered the potential awkwardness of her upcoming trip to the courthouse. Filling out their marriage certificate would raise eyebrows. She would certainly endure quizzical looks at the DMV when she updated her license with her new married name. She hoped she would never get carded.


“Fine, but…”


Jessica flinched.


“If we have kids...” Clyde tread carefully.


Jessica blushed scarlet. This was a conversation that she wasn’t fully prepared to discuss. One thing at a time, she thought. She and Clyde had only discussed children in the broadest, most hypothetical terms. The day of their engagement was surely not the appropriate time to discuss having children.


“No, seriously. There are rules. If we have children, a girl has to be named Pinky and a boy has to be Clyde. Or Namco. That's the unisex option,” Clyde winced. “This contract… it’s pretty solid. Namco lawyers are no joke.”


Jessica had run out of words.


Clyde swallowed hard. “I understand if you can’t --”


“Afternoon, lovebirds!” chirped a jogger as he dashed past. The couple’s jeans were getting soaked from sitting on the dewy grass in the park. Jessica admired the sparkling new ring on her left hand. A halo-set diamond graced a delicate eternity band. The little channel of diamond circles winked up at her. Clyde waved politely at the jogger without looking up. 


“Well,” said Jessica, “we will just have to have fruit salad at our wedding reception.”

September 02, 2020 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

This was awesome! It was really funny, with the whole Pac-Man situation. I can’t imagine being name Pinky, lol...awesome job, Sadie! Keep writing! P. S. Would you mind checking out my new story? Thanks!

Reply

Sadie Black
16:06 Sep 02, 2020

Haha thanks so much! Glad you liked it! And your post reminded me that there should be punctuation in the name. Will fix that now. I'd be happy to check out your story! Thanks a lot!

Reply

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sampada Sharma
13:22 Sep 11, 2020

It's unique and I don't know how you though of it. Really well written. I loved how you kept on adding to it making the situation seem worse than it was. Keep writing! And if you have time, would love it if you could check out my story!

Reply

Sadie Black
14:31 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you so much! For some reason, the phrase "pinball wizard" jumped out at me for this prompt, so I kind of took the arcade theme in a weird direction. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'll be happy to check out your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:57 Sep 03, 2020

This was a great story! It is really funny, I can't imagine having my last name, PackMan. It's funny how the deal gets worse and worse and more strict as the story goes on.

Reply

Sadie Black
18:44 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you very much! I'm so glad you liked it!

Reply

18:48 Sep 03, 2020

Of course! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.