3 comments

Happy Lesbian Sad

There is silence. Not a single sound fills the office. The tension could probably kill someone if it chose to. Harry, one of our co-worker will be walking into the office any second now. Today is April 1st but yesterday we pulled a few pranks on him to make him think that today is the 2nd. That's normal. My girlfriend, Fay, and I love to pull pranks on people around the office. We are super lucky to work at the same place but then again, we met here. As far as pranks go, we push past that. Every. Single. Year.

Our plan for this year is simple actually: As soon as Harry walks into the office, Fay, will cover him in a mixture if water and glue, like a past like thing, and then a bucket of glitter will fall from the door onto him. I always love it when he gets confused at what is going on. He'll normally just go and look around and then his head will slump down tot he floor but sometimes he will start to bounce and look around for clues oh what was happening at the moment. It's super fun to watch him. Fay and I will always have him as a main target every year for pranks and he never knows that it's us doing them. And he will never know because we do not intend on telling him any time soon.

If anything, I should be scared that he stays home. It's also common for hit=m to need to stay home to take care of his kid, meaning that me might not be able to go out with this prank. He just about always comes into the office around this time so it's not that long of a wait.

After a few minutes, we hear footsteps. Fay gets her bucket ready and stands near the door. As the handle turns, I look through the window to see his face when it hits me. That's our boss, Jackson! It's to late to warn anyone though. He is now in the office main room, drenched in water with about three bags of glitter covering his new suit. Well at least his lighter navy blue tie stands out a little more now. I want to laugh but now is definitely not the time.

He looks shocked but even more, mad. I run up to him and try to say sorry but he just points to his desk. After a few moments of silence it hits me. I then look down at the at the floor and slowly follow him to his seat. I feel embarrassed but at lease I got someone. How I was going to get yelled at for sure.

I am now walking to my desk. With the unemployed forms in my hand. Jackson fired me and now I need to collect all of my things before the day is over. Anything that I leave here will never be removed unless Fay takes it. She most likely will but now for a while. I really hope our boss doesn't fire her as well. That would really suck and then who knows how long we would go without jobs. Weeks. Maybe even months!

I reach my desk and grab the file box that I help under it. There was no use for the box but I didn't want to throw it out so I kelp it. I start to shove the little things on my desk into it as a silent tear falls down my eye. I close my computer and take the plug out of the wall, putting it into the box. I grab the book that I was reading this morning and put it i the box. By now my sobs could probably be heard from the parking lot but I don't really care. People can hear me cry, it won't make anything any better or worse. Now that my desk is just about clean, I head over to my locker in the hallway to get the stuff from there.

Half an hour later, I walk into the parking lot, dried snot formed under my nose and my cheeks cold from the tears. As I am powering up my car to get home. I go to open up the door to get inside and just drive home where I could cry in peace when someone calls out my name, loud and clear.

"Sophie!'" I turn to see Fay running to me while waving a paper. I squint my now dry eyes, trying to look at what it says but she is moving it to fast for me to read it clearly. I can tell there are big words printed on it though. I really home it's not some sick eviction notice from the apartment that Fay and I live in. That would be horrible. Ash Fay nears, she yells again.

"It was just a joke! Honey he was just kidding." I go and tilt my head at her, question what she is saying. As she comes to a stop, she kisses me on the cheek before handing my a paper.

In full print, all caps it reads:

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY SOPHIE!

At that same time, I hear it.

I look up and see everyone by the door, laughing and throwing balloons. How did they get out here without me noticing? One of my co-workers pats me on the back and says, in a positive tone, "There ain't no way the boss would get rid of you girl! Not even for some silly joke. that you and Fay did." She leans down and whisper into my ear, "That was also some epic stuff. You gotta teach me some time." I think for a moment before I start to laugh along with everyone else. We start to head back inside when Harry comes and pours a cup of water on me. It's super cold and I yelp in surprise at the sudden feeling.

"This is for your little prank that you were going to do on me." He snickers and I laugh again. Today was a roller-coaster ride for sure.

April 02, 2021 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Chloe McLellan
12:30 May 17, 2021

I loved that. It had me laughing till the end. I thought having Harry pour water on Sophie was a great ending.

Reply

Delilah Wolf
03:41 Sep 27, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Johan Rosenblad
10:47 Apr 11, 2021

I love a good twist at the end! Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.