3 comments

Teens & Young Adult Funny Thriller

Valerie took a careful step into her kitchen, nervously looking around. Her eyes glided to the date on her fridge, the numbers circled in a dark red marker as she confirmed the day.

It was April 1st.

“Mom! I’m going to Amanda’s house-”

Her mother came down the stairs in a hurry, quickly pulling her hair into a tight ponytail as she tried to fix her ironed black suit, “you’re not going anywhere, young lady. You still haven’t started your chores!”

Valerie groaned loudly, “mom, please! I can’t be here today.”

Her mom stopped before her with a loud sigh, narrowing her eyes, “listen here, Valerie. I’m already very late for my meeting and I don’t have any time to argue. The chores better be done by the time I come back or you’re grounded-”

“Mom!” She gasped. “Mom, please!”

She followed after her mother who brushed strands of hair aside, reaching for her purse, eyes quickly going over the rack of shoes near the door, “Valerie go eat breakfast.”

“I’ll do it tomorrow, I promise. Come on!”

Her mom slipped her feet into the black sandals, the keys in her hands jingling loudly against each other as she made for the door. She turned to give Valerie a hard look, “chores. Now. And go upstairs to wake up Randy and Sofia. Goodbye!”

Valerie hopelessly watched her disappear behind the door, the sound of the door locking and her mother’s new Toyota car starting in the parking lot making her clench her fists. 

She had chores on April Fools day!

Avoiding pranks by her younger siblings and friends would already take all her energy, and now her mother wanted her to do chores!

Valerie could take the punishment for one day, couldn’t she?

Instead of eating breakfast and waking up her siblings before starting chores, Valerie slipped outside into the morning sun, her stomach grumbling slightly as she made for the nearest bus stop by her house.

She decided to head for downtown and its occupied streets and bustling cars, sidewalks, and roads full of busy pedestrians, making their way to their work. The bus she took was deserted, the passengers sitting in the way back. She remembered to look around twice, left and right before sitting down on the hard blue chairs. The cold spring wind brushed her hair back every time the doors opened to allow more passengers inside, the calm morning making her tap her foot loudly against the bus floor.

How she hated April Fools.

A lady who had joined her in a seat directly across from her, watched as she anxiously fixed her mask over and over again, fixating it on her nose, eyes darting around the bus.

“Where are you off to?” She asked, her black hair tied in a sharp bun, a red scarf wrapped loosely around her neck.

Valerie looked up in surprise, playing with her hands on her lap, “downtown. What about you?”

“I’m headed to my grandma’s house. She’s sick,” she said.

Valerie wondered if her grandma was pulling a prank on her. She then quickly scolded herself for thinking in such a way before turning her eyes back to the window, fingers pulling at her cuticles, the bus rolling to a stop.

Valerie jumped off with a quick wave to the lady before rushing away, almost in a jog. No one gave her a second glance in the busy streets, ignoring her as she turned the corner of the Ripley’s Aquarium and into the entrance of the CN Tower.

The building was tall, towering over her small frame, her brown hair blowing restlessly into the wind and she held the bag that hung over her shoulder tightly in her grasp.

No one would fool her today.

With a happy grin, she walked inside, greeted with the almost deserted main desk, a petite woman in a tight black dress and a pin that read ‘Isabelle’ standing on the other side. The mask on her mouth hid most of her face, but Valerie managed to catch the smile beneath and the wave she shot her.

Quickly, she made her payment, feeling the jitters settle deep into her bones. She made her way to the elevator, pressing the small clear button before she closed her eyes, letting out a long sigh.

“Almost there,” she reassured herself. “Almost at the top.”

The trip was cut short by the elevator doors opening halfway to the top, a tall man with a tight black jacket and a baseball hat walking inside, a small girl in a cute unicorn shirt following closely behind him. He held her hand, her two blond ponytails on either side of her head.

Valerie clicked the button again, waiting for the doors to finally slide close.

The elevator began to move.

“Are you here alone to enjoy these amazing sights?” The man asked, raising thick curious eyebrows.

Valerie smiled tightly, “yes.”

He sent her a bright grin, “I’m here with my daughter. She’s been asking me to come here forever!”

“That’s nice,” she said awkwardly.

What a boring conversation, she thought.

The elevator doors dinged open and she quickly rushed outside, breathing in relief as she spotted the large windows overlooking the tall buildings below, small cars buzzing past beneath them, the birds flying up in the air, fighting against the winds.

An hour later, Valerie was outside, tied securely to the tight ropes, standing on the edge of the CN tower. She had decided to do the EdgeWalk, staying as far away as any human as possible on top of the tall building, way up in the air, far from home.

As she overlooked the tiny specs of people and the many tall buildings below, she felt herself relax.

No one would be pranking her today. Not while she hung on a tightrope on the edge of the CN tower.

Not today.

“Hey there!” An old man waved from behind her, “having a nice time, are you?”

Valerie managed a tight smile, “yes! You can say that!”

“My wife died today,” he admitted. 

Valerie paused, eyes widening, “oh I’m sorry-”

“But April 2nd was her favorite day,” he continued with a large grin. “So I’m partying for her! I bet she’s smiling down at me from heaven.”

She froze, hands tightening on her rope as she slowly turned back to him, swallowing thickly, “I’m sorry, but, what day was it that you said?”

The man looked at her, slightly distracted, “April 2nd, young lady. Why? You got somewhere better to be or what?”

Valerie felt her heart plummet to the very depths of her stomach, “It’s April 2nd?” She whispered.

“Well yes,” he nodded, chuckling slightly. “Susy and I used to talk about coming here a lot. We always spoke of the great heights, the birds, tall buildings, and…” he continued talking, hands waving as he did.

She bit her lip.

It was April 2nd.

No way. He was just pranking her. He had to be!

“Is this a joke?” She asked quickly.

The man raised his eyes, looking deeply insulted, “are you implying that I am lying, you little-”

“No, no!” She exclaimed. “I was just confirming!”

“You confirm alright,” he made a face. “But I am no liar-”

“Of course,” she reassured him. “Of course.”

As her shaky hands clenched the rope that held her tighter, angry thoughts ran viciously inside her head.

But one thing was clear. One thing stood out from the rest of the mad thoughts inside her mind.

One thing she understood.

That she was in so much trouble.

And this time, she couldn’t run away.

March 26, 2021 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Hxmda A.A
20:27 Apr 03, 2021

Hi! Please let me know what you think about my story here in the comments and drop a follow to support me! I would really appreciate it thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nina Chyll
17:03 Mar 28, 2021

I thought the character's given name was perhaps mentioned a little bit too often. I also wasn't sure people would strike up quite as many conversations out of the blue, especially offering stories about dead wives. But the narration felt coherent and easy to follow. Thanks for the read!

Reply

Hxmda A.A
21:15 Mar 28, 2021

Hi! Thank you for your comment and your feedback! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.