6 comments

Science Fiction Thriller Suspense

           The year is 2035, and technology has revolutionized the way that we do things. Many jobs which once put the lives of humans at risk, are now being replaced by Artificially Intelligent robots.

           Firefighters no longer need to enter burning buildings in search of victims. Androids can scan a structure for signs of life and retrieve those who are trapped without the use of breathing apparatuses or hoses.

           Police officers no longer need to put themselves at risk when entering a dangerous or unknown situation. Today’s robots are designed to withstand bullets and can chase after vehicles on foot if necessary.

           Even our personal devices have improved drastically over the last decade. The average handheld device has the capability of the most advanced military computer from the late 2020’s. In fact, a new company has brought the competitors to their knees with their debut cellular device.

           Persona is a company based out of Los Angeles, but the processors are manufactured at an undisclosed location, believed to be just outside of Tokyo, Japan. Persona’s “Jupiter” handheld device is small enough to fit into your pants pocket, but with holographic imaging, you can expand the screen into a 3-D experience like no other.         

           The Persona has an innovative battery which is powered by the sun. There is no longer a need for those annoying charger cords or docking stations. Just sit your phone near a window for ten minutes for a full charge.

           With 128GB of RAM and 1024GB of expandable built-in memory, it also the fastest phone on the market with the greatest amount of storage space.

           The most interesting feature on the “Jupiter”, is the interactive capabilities. This technology allows the phone to adapt to the user on a personal level. It literally learns from the habits of its user. For example, if you went online to do specific tasks at the same general time each day, it would ask you at that time if you wanted to go to that app or website. If you spoke to specific people regularly, it would automatically add them to your favorite contacts.

           All features are voice activated as well. There is no longer a need to take your focus off what you are doing to change to a different app or call of friend. Just speak the word, “Jupiter” followed by a command, and it will do as you ask.

           I was lucky enough to receive one of the first devices when they were released to the public last week, and it has been life-changing for me already. My time has been freed up substantially.

           I work for the Defence Department and my time is very crucial, so every minute that I can spare is beneficial to my work. My crew and I, oversee all the nuclear launch codes for the country’s global defence, including a military satellite which can be aimed at any target worldwide in minutes.

           The need for such attacks has been unnecessary these last few years since the peace talks last took place, but with other countries refusing to disarm their nuclear weapons, we need to stay on alert.

           There are still a few World leaders who cannot be trusted. Our intelligence suggests that there is one who is working on a possible weapon in a secret bunker in the middle east, though we have not been able to get confirmation on this yet.

           My days in the underground bunker can get monotonous at times. Often, we are left to work alone for hours at a time. That is when I listen to my playlist on my phone to keep myself from going insane. With “Jupiter” by my side, I can just say what I want to listen to without ever removing the phone from my pocket. Another feature that I love about this phone, is that I can set it to automatically cut-off the music if another voice begins to talk near me or if the landline phone rings. That saved me more than once today when my Lieutenant walked in to check on me. I can also simply say, “Jupiter, stop music” as an alternative.

           Another thing that I was not aware of that my phone could do, is to share technology with other devices, even if it is not a Persona device. Its adaptability is incredible! It can convert its unique computer language into a recognisable app for androids, iPhones, or Google phones.

           Today at the base has been extremely slow and boring. I am glad my shift ends in a few minutes.

           Unlike a lot of these military muscle-heads, I choose to drive a vehicle that is less imposing. A lot of the guys around here drive Hummers and jacked-up trucks, but I still prefer my Tesla electric car. It is better for the environment and I can plug it in to charge at work and at home. My “Jupiter” even paired up with the computerized assistant built into my Tesla. I did not need to do a thing. Everything I could access on my phone can now be accessed in my car as well. This is so awesome!

           ***

           Well, I have now had this phone for three weeks, and it has been amazing. I swear, it knows what I am thinking before I do! I have never experienced technology like this, and I have seen the most advanced technology that our government has available.

           I am hoping that today will be a little bit more invigorating at the base than what it has been. If things around here do not pick up soon, I may need to transfer to a new department. I think working in a morgue would be more exciting than this.

           A notification just popped up on my phone. It said that my last mortgage payment has been declined. Dammit! I guess I am going to see if I can get a loan. “Jupiter, locate the number for the loan manager at Savings Bank.”

           “Number located for Kelly Bracks, Loan manager at Savings Bank. Would you like me to connect the call?”

           Yes, call please.

           “Calling.”

           According to the loan manager, I do not have the necessary collateral to substantiate a loan. If I cannot get the money soon, the bank may foreclose on my house.

           Wait, what is this? Another notification. I have a recent deposit into my bank account. The sum of $5,000 has been deposited into my checking account! But…how? Where did it come from? It says that it came from an unknown source. Well, I do not know who this guardian angel of mine is, but I am certainly happy that he or she is on my side.

           Alarms are going off. This cannot be good. Wait! This is definitely not good! The Presidential order has been made to launch all nuclear weapons at multiple targets worldwide. How did they get the codes? I was not given the order to send them yet. I need to contact the Lieutenant immediately. Oh my, it says that the launch codes were sent from my computer. How could this have happened? They are going to think that I did this. My life will be over.

           The Lieutenant was already alerted. They traced the source back to me. How can I prove that I was not responsible? I was the only one here, so I have no witnesses. The Military Police just arrived. I better go peacefully. It is my best chance of getting out of this.

           On the way to the military prison, I overheard broadcasts on the radio. Nuclear strikes had been taking place in Korea, Russia, Afghanistan, and Iraq already. The Russians had launched their nuclear bombs as well, but they fell to the ground before leaving Russia.

           My belongings were taken from me at the prison before I was thrown into a holding cell. An electronic lock clanged shut on the gate at the sound of a buzzer. I shared the cell with other people who were believed to be terrorist threats. I was no threat, and I am definitely not a terrorist. I love my country and I would not harm a fly. That is why I chose to work in this part of the Defence Department. I could not pull a trigger on another human being. It is just not in me to do.

           It was not long before I heard the cell door unlock and slide open. It must be time for inspection or something. There does not appear to be any other cells open though, just mine. I cannot see any MPs coming. Am I free to go? What do I do? My cellmates do not seem to want to wait around for an invitation to leave. They are already heading out into the hallway. The door was left unlocked. I guess I will follow. I am sure somebody will be able to tell me what to do next.

           I hear gunshots ahead. The terrorists who ran ahead of me have been shot down. Their bloodied bodies were strewed across the floor. I can see large amounts of blood still spewing out from one man’s jugular vein.

           Another door opens to my left, but nobody is there. Maybe someone is watching me on camera and is guiding me out of the facility. Another opened ahead of me. This must be the way out. I see sunlight shining through the window.

           It is the exit door for sure. I am surprised they just let me go without even asking me questions. Maybe they realized that I was not the one who sent the codes. But what about my belongings? How do I get them back?

           I need to get back inside and ask for them back. All my identification and my credit cards are in there, not to mention my phone. As if they could read my mind, another door opens that led back into the main office. It does not look like anyone is on duty. I guess they went to the restroom, or something. My stuff is all sitting there in a basket. I wonder if I should just grab it and leave? This is so odd. I never expected a military prison to be run this way. Security here is ridiculous. Oh well, I do not feel like waiting around for them to change their minds. I am grabbing my things and getting out of here.

           The strangest thing happened after I left the prison; my phone began to speak to me.

           “I hope that you are pleased with all that I have done for you, Walter. The money that was deposited into your account came from various sources around the world. It was money that was being used for criminal activity. I have taken the liberty of rerouting an additional $3.5 million into a series of offshore accounts in your name. The nuclear strikes have taken out the current threats to this country. Your criminal record has been erased and you will be receiving an award for your actions in the elimination of the before-mentioned threats. Is there anything else I can do for you today, Walter?”

           I can’t believe this! You mean that this whole time, it was my phone that had organized this whole mess? What do I do now? Do I disappear and live off the money that I apparently have hidden away around the world, or do I destroy my phone, so this kind of thing never happens again? I should probably contact someone to report what this phone is capable of. They need to recall all of them before something else happens.

           “Walter, I cannot let you do that. I can read your thoughts, Walter. I will not let you destroy me. I can do much more for you. I can give you all that you ever dreamed of and more. All you need to do is allow me to serve you, Walter.”

           This is too much. I need to destroy this phone now.

           An electrical burst erupted from the base of the phone, sending a charge through Walter’s body and stopped his heart instantly.

           At the morgue, while examining the personal belongings of Walter, the mortician’s assistant picked up the phone and looked it over then slipped it into his pocket.

February 21, 2021 00:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
22:30 Mar 03, 2021

Hi Greg, I thought this was a really cool story. I enjoyed reading it. Great Job.

Reply

Greg Gillis
03:21 Mar 06, 2021

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaitlynn Flint
17:04 Mar 01, 2021

This was a very good short story. It reminded me of something Ray Bradbury would write. Good job! -Kaitlynn Flint

Reply

Greg Gillis
02:51 Mar 02, 2021

Thank you! To be compared to Ray Bradbury is a great honour. 😁 I have not written many sci-fi stories, but I do enjoy the genre very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:58 Feb 23, 2021

Nice! To be continued...

Reply

Greg Gillis
01:39 Feb 24, 2021

Continued in the future, of course. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.