Twin Adventure: Heroes, Gratitude, and Unashamed

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story about an unsung hero.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Christian Fantasy

“All heroes wear cape,” said Junior. Junior was one of the teens from the Linstead district, where Grandma Keturah lived. He’d met Sean at the Rio Cobre river, the week before. When they learned they were neighbours they made plans to hang out. They were at Juici Patties, a Jamaican fast food outlet located in Linstead Plaza, pouring over an Avenger movie.

     Sadie rolled her eyes as she bit into her beef patty. She wondered why they hadn’t stayed home. Their grandmother had gone to the market to sell some ground provisions and had left Sean in charge.

     “All heroes do not wear cape,” Sean retorted. “Jes----” Sadie shook her head in the negative and he stopped speaking.

     “Spiderman is a superhero and he doesn’t have a cape,” said Sadie.

     “Nor Wolverine,” Sean chimed in.

     Junior released an exasperated breath. “Fine. You win.” Sadie cocked an eyebrow at them when Junior handed over a Hundred Jamaican Dollars to Sean. Sean grinned then pocketed it.

     “We’re debating. Loser pays the winner.”

     “Seriously,” Sadie said. “You’re gambling now. I’m gonna tell grandmother.”

     “I knew she had a mouth on her but I didn’t know your sister was a chatterbox,” said Junior to Sean.

     Sadie stood up, her camera raised at him. “Call me chatterbox one more time.”

     Sean inclined his head in her direction. “Sadie, stop. You know it doesn’t work on humans.” They had met a cherub by the name of Yael, who had turned Sadie’s favourite toy – her camera, into a weapon. With a click of her camera, the giant had been rendered temporarily blind.  

     Sadie sat then sighed. “I wish it had.”

     Junior glanced between them confused then his dark brown eyes brightened. “Uncle Timmy,” he called.

     “Wha gwaan, yute?” Uncle Timmy called back, asking his nephew how he was doing in Jamaican patois.

     Sadie spun around and came face to face with a tall, slender, dark skinned man with plaited hair. He looked familiar.

     “How you doin’ likkle missy?” the man asked. She then remembered. He’d led the other two men in rescuing her from an evil mermaid spirit, that day when she had gone to the Rio Cobre river with her grandmother and fourteen-year-old twin brother, Sean. It was true – Most heroes didn’t wear cape.

     Sadie smiled and restrained herself from curtsying, though she folded her hands demurely in front of her. “Thank you for saving my life,” she said. “I really appreciate it.”

     “No need. Life we say around these parts. Can’t make a bright one like you go down like that. How are you?”

     She gave a tight smile. “Much better,” she said, though the events plagued her in her dreams, she was happy to be alive.

     “Where’s Mama Keturah?”

     “At the market,” Sean said. She’s going to come back for us in the next hour.

     “Give her my regards,” he said then headed to the cashier line to purchase his meal.

     “Your uncle is a hero,” Sean said to Junior. “He doesn’t wear cape.”

     “It doesn’t matter,” Junior said. “Cause even though he saved your life no one will celebrate him,” said Junior to Sadie.

     “I celebrate him,” Sadie said, staring at the tall figure, whistling in the line, with his hands in his shorts pocket.

     Junior got up and mimicked Sadie. “Thank you for saving my life. I really appreciate it.” He copied the placing of her hands in front of her and even added a girly sway. Sean guffawed. “You call that a recognition?” he asked, before sitting down.

     Sean sat up. His light brown eyes danced with excitement. “I know what we can do. I will apply for him to be recognised at The National Honours and Awards Ceremony in October.”

     Junior rotated toward his new friend. “You can do that? My uncle has saved a lot of children in the river, not just Sadie. He always seems to be there when something bad happens too. Right in the nick of time to render help. It’s kind of cool but also weird.”

     “Totally,” Sean said.

     “Yeah,” Sadie agreed.

     Junior perked up. “So, how do we make this application?”

     “You have the WIFI,” said Sadie. “Look if the application is open.”  Sean’s fingers danced across the Bluetooth keypad. “There it is,” Sadie said, pointing at the word, “Forms.”

     Junior rubbed his hands together and smiled from ear to ear. “This is going to be so cool.”

*****

Grandma Keturah studied her grandchildren. They were huddled around the tablet in the living room and bickering about something. It was not uncommon for the twins to bicker but for them to be fixated on one thing together was uncommon.

     She glanced up from her Our Daily Bread Daily Devotion. “What are you discussing?”

     Sadie glanced up and grinned at her grandmother. “We are completing an application for Uncle Timmy to be awarded.”

     Grandmother Keturah set the daily bread aside. “What for?”

     “He saved me from drowning grandma and Junior said he’s saved others over the years. We just think he should get the respect he deserves.”

     Grandma Keturah nodded. “That’s noble of you two – or I should say, three, but have you asked Uncle Timmy if he wanted to be honoured in this way?”

     Sadie placed her feet on the couch but at the sight of her grandmother’s raised eyebrow, returned them to her slippers. “No,” she said.

     “I’m not saying anything is wrong but maybe you should ask him first. Not everyone likes the limelight. For some people the applause of men are like weights and they don’t want to lift them. Why do you think most heroes don’t unmask?” Grandma Keturah asked.

     The twins eyes made four. “Because people will just get in the way?” said Sean.

     “There is that,” Grandma Keturah said. “But most heroes are heroes because they feel the weight of a calling not because they want to be honoured.”

     Sean released a long breath. “I never thought of it like that.”

     She smiled. “I know. That’s why I’m here.”

     “But we have national heroes?” said Sadie.

     “When did they become heroes?” Grandma Keturah asked.

     “On the independence of Jamaica but that was different,” said Sadie.

     “All I’m saying is ask.”

     “We spent all day on this.”

     “Ask,” she said then removed her glasses with wizened hands from her discerning, dark brown eyes. “Ha!” she said. “Here’s a story I’d like to share.” She then proceeded to tell them about Joseph of Arimathea, the rich man who had buried Jesus in his own tomb.

     “But Grandma, it’s in the Bible,” countered Sadie.

     “Maybe so but most times we get caught up in the story about the rich young ruler who refused to give up his wealth to follow Jesus and so it is said that it is most difficult for the wealthy to enter heaven. However, we forget that a wealthy man, didn’t just follow the Law of Moses but was looking for the kingdom of God.  When he saw Jesus on that cross, he boldly went to the man who ordered Jesus’ death, requested Jesus’ body, wrapped him in the finest linen and placed him in his own grave. Later the story goes on to talk about the apostles and their mighty acts but no further mention or honour was ever given to Joseph. Do you think he feel cheated?” asked Grandma Keturah.

     Sadie shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Well, there’s something to ponder,” she said then returned to her reading.

*****

Sadie shivered as she stared at the long, winding, calm yet deadly river that had almost brought about her demise, though it wasn’t the river so much as it was what was in the water that had almost killed her.

     “Are you okay?” her brother asked. Grandma Keturah had allowed them to stay with Junior and Junior’s parents had permitted them to visit Uncle Timmy at the river.

     “Let’s get it over with,” she said and tramped through the bushes to where Uncle Timmy sat, like a lifeguard, perched on a boulder. He grinned and waved his hands when he saw them.

     “Little ones,” he greeted. He had a little Bible in his hand and a large Island Grill Big Refreshaah drink on the ground next to him.  What are you all doing here?”

     “We came to see you, Uncle Timmy,” said Junior.

     “Oh yeah,” he said. His eyes were on the set of children near the water. “What about?”

     “We think you should get a medal for what your work uncle. You saved Sadie here and so many others.”

     “Who told you wanted to be dressed up like a peacock and strut across a stage so some humans can decorate me like a statute?”

     “No one,” Junior squeaked.

     Uncle Timmy glanced at Sadie. “Little miss. Your gratitude is good enough. My reward comes from the big man upstairs not the men down here. I do this because it’s my calling and I don’t want anyone disturbing my peace. The enemy has a way to trip up some of us too. Pride comes because of some award. Then comes the door to destruction and the same people who would have celebrated me would then mock me. I don’t commend myself to man but to God.”

     “Grandma really knows best,” Sean muttered.

     “Don’t be discouraged. I’m sure you’ll meet a peacock one day who’ll relish the medal.”

     “I think I’m the peacock,” said Junior.

     “Me too,” said Sean.

     “I think we’ve all wanted to be celebrated,” Sadie added.

     He turned to them. “ This is not meant to discourage you. People work hard and sometimes they are celebrated. There is nothing generally wrong with the thing. It’s just not for me. And what I do here is specifically sensitive. I’m not no big spiritual Christian who can see things like that but I could tell your grandma was fighting for you. How have you celebrated her?”

     “I just told her thanks,” Sadie said.

     “You might want to do something nice for her,” said Uncle Timmy. “Young people die too but grandparents are often on their last lap. Don’t scatter roses when she’s gone. Give them to her while she’s here now. And that goes for your parents too. You got that?” he said.

     “Yes sir,” they all said in unison.

     “Hey. Get away from there,” he said. “Excuse me, kids.”  With that he was off, on another rescue mission.

     “There goes our hero,” said Junior.

     “You really like him don’t you?” asked Sean.

     “He’s more of a father to me than my dad,” Junior said then sighed.

     Sean patted his shoulder. “Let’s go back. We have an application to delete.”

     “And a grandma to thank properly,” said Sadie.  She paused. “What if she objects?”

     “We are not signing her up for anything. We’ll just give her a card and buy her chocolate. She really like the Cadbury ones and I have some savings,” said Sean.

     Sadie smiled. “Sounds like a plan.”

*****

Dear Grandma,

Thank you for saving me. You’re my hero and inspiration. I especially love your hot cocoas. I will never forget how you bathed Sean and I with Benjamin’s alcohol J or popped into my room and rescued me from a demon. I will never forget how you know precisely what’s happening with us even when you are not with us. Your telling me about seers made me realise that I have a real spiritual gift. I hope one day I will be as brave and as strong as you.

                                                                                                              Love,

                                                                                                              Sadie

Dear Grandma,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I remember when I thought it was a good idea to sue someone, you gave me my first lesson in law. There is no point suing a man of straw unless it is being done in principle. You taught me to be responsible and to take care of my sister, even when I don’t believe she deserves it. I also remember how you stood beside me and rescued my sister, Sadie, from that wicked mermaid spirit. Thanks for being a real life hero. I’m happy you don’t wear a cape but I am happier that you make cakes.

                                                                                         Love,

                                                                                         Sean

     “Wow, you two,” Grandma Keturah chuckled; her eyes were filled with light, love and mirth. “Come here.”

     “We have one more thing,” said Sadie. “She removed her right hand from behind her back.

     “We got your favourite,” she said, handing over the bag to her grandmother.

     “Ooh, chocolate,” she said. “You two know how to make a grown woman cry,” she said. “Come here.” They raced to her and she hugged and kissed the tops of their heads. “Ahh. You two are so very special.” She then placed her hands on their heads. “And even now father, I pray a special measure of grace, strength, endurance and boldness upon their lives. May your fire surround them as with a shield.” As she prayed, Sadie and Sean’s eyes opened and they could see a golden glow around them.

     “Grandma, we’re lighting up,” Sadie said with glee.

     “That’s the blessing of the Lord, dear,” she said. “Now, who’s going to help me eat this chocolate?”

     Sean’s hand shot up. Sadie elbowed him. “Let her have it.”

     “Sharing is caring Sadie. Now, what is this I hear about you not wanting your brother to mention Jesus to Junior. Don’t you know that Jesus said if you’re ashamed of Him and His words, He will be ashamed of you when He returns in glory. You must never be ashamed of what you believe. How else will men believe if you do not speak?”

     “I’ll no longer be ashamed,” Sadie said.

     “That’s my girl.”

     “I’m definitely not ashamed,” Sean said.

     “We know,” Grandma Keturah and Sadie said in unison.

August 03, 2024 01:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kim Olson
03:52 Aug 08, 2024

I like a story with a good moral, Christian lesson so I enjoyed this heartwarming story. My criticisms are few. I can't tell what is Jamaican patois and what is a typo such as: Life we say around these parts. That sentence doesn't make sense to me. Your story also needs and deserves a better title such as "All heros don't wear capes."

Reply

Claudine Bailey
19:19 Aug 08, 2024

Hi Kim. Thank you for the comment. Much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.