0 comments

Drama Thriller Fiction

My sister's wish made the earth lose me. Phase of covid completely changed my life ,yes! It did probably till the time this story gets out I might be buried!

Vaccination was taken lightly in my home we all had icecream party after it and my dad even went to work next day. 1st day it was all good but on the second day he got high fever. He was taken to a doctor immediately and he prescribed him some pills. These pills worsened my dad's condition. He went for a covid test and came out to be positive.

"Riya call the ambulance!" My mom screamed with tears in her eyes. "Rub my back and my chest, I can't breath! Bala please call ..... hospital....." my dad said. "We are calling! Don't worry! Everything will be fine, relax !" My mom started panicking after that. This was the first time in my life I saw my dad in immense pain and it broke me inside some where as well but this wasn't the time to cry behind emotions I needed to take some quick action.

Twelve hours ago I made fresh scrambled eggs for my dad, he was doing yoga in the balcony I kept the food outside the closed door and knocked twice on the door. I was very happy to see him improving until 3 hours later we checked his oxygen level and it went down to 92, his pulse rate was 125 and this scared us so much. His lung infection was 40%, he wanted to be home quarantined and we saw no signs of recovery! 

We heard loud sounds of coughing which made it certain that he is not describing his inner pain to any of the doctors, for once I felt living 10 hours away from all of our relatives was a sin now we are all left alone clueless how to handle the situation. Mom was confused as all of our relatives gave her so many advices on why to avoid going to hospital and my sister was becoming lunatic as she was dealing with lots of stress too. I never really took covid seriously before that night.

The louder the sounds came the more I asked my mother to better admit my dad into the hospital as things were getting out of control and his covid treatment wasn't even started yet. Finally at 9 pm we all sath together and had a huge discussion my dad didn't wanted to talk to my mom as he was frustrated by her asking him about his updates every hour, so I decided to take the initiative to talk to him, when I spoke to him he calmly told me he wont go to any random hospital, he would only get admitted in railway hospital as he was a railway employee. I said ok and left. My sister went next to convince him again, my dad's voice raised which made him cough as his oxygen level declined, my mom went next and looking at her my dad screamed to the highest pitch he could reach and my mom started crying and apologizing. I still remember her saying 'we care for you that's why asked you thrice just don't shout please your oxygen... I'm sorry I won't speak anything further'. 

Night was the time when my dad suffered a lot, at 12 am my mom gave him a sleeping pill as he had some kind of discomfort in his chest but he just wanted to rest. 

I remember at 2 am, bright light flashed on my face and I saw this was from my dad's bedroom, my mom was rubbing his back and patting him on his chest, I went closer to her and she told me to make turmeric milk quick, I microwaved the milk for 2 mins and gave him straight , my mom told me to sleep but I saw my dad moaning with pain and my mom in discomfort, this didn't allowed me to sleep. 

I texted my bestfriend and told him everything, we shared a common friend who survived covid twice so he called and told him the entire situation. I was unaware about this as I went to mom to comfort her. She was having second thoughts about hospital as dad wasn't ready at all to go anywhere and all of her brother's told her to avoid hospital. I asked her, "why did you thought of taking him to the hospital?" She said that she wanted him to get a proper treatment, the one which could cure him and then I told her , "So now you know why he should go to the hospital, don't you?"

At 3 am my dad started coughing again, my mom and I just ended our talking session then and he was finding it difficult to breathe, my dad said he wanted to go to the hospital as he can't take that pain anymore and my mom's hand started shivering, she called the railway hospitals receptionist who told him beds were available. My phone started ringing, it was my survivor friend he told me he could arrange the ambulance really quick and I told him a yes.

On the other hand my mom was also talking to an ambulance service who asked her many questions and finally denied to go, I know it's inhuman but I know they might be having reasons as well. It was 3:30 am and I could see my dad struggling for oxygen. My friend called me and told ambulance would be reaching in 5 minutes I need to grab all of my dad's covid documents and show it to them. My mom started packing everything, she messed up a lot my entire house was mess my dad started breathing from mouth, my sister was still sleeping, yes we didn't told her as she would have panicked a lot and would have made the situation more difficult. 

The ambulance came and my friend who is just 15 went with my mother to the hospital for giving her moral support. I cried for the 1st time, even nowadays we have selfless friends, the moment was really special for me. As soon as my dad left it was already 4:30am so I slept quickly after taking a shower as I was exhausted.

The story doesn't end here, it just begins from here, by the time my dad was really going through all of this, I started having weakness. I was laying on the sofa when suddenly I passed out and the next thing I remember was I felt suffocation. It was getting worst as the time passed by. My sister and I were alone as mom just came out to be positive and was admitted at the same time.

I'm probably writing this story as I wanted to invest my time rather than wasting it. I had 95% infection which grew very slowly, I wasn't even helped as it was confirmed that I was going to die. My parents weren't told on the day itself and I don't know the further thing as well. It is hard, guys take care of your self. My sister stubbornly made sure that I stay out of touch with doctor to protect me but it ended up in a very bad note. Take care of your self. I wish all of you a good day. My life was only till here but you are an amazing person.

May 16, 2021 15:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.