185 comments

Coming of Age

"Yield already!" He stood no chance against me. This was the final test before the games. I was the only one good enough. Or at least better than everyone else. I had him in a leglock, choking the living breath out of him, and the bastard wasn't even yielding. He'd rather die than win the Hunger Games. Finally, he tapped my leg in submission, and I withdrew.


"Amazing, as usual, Ginger. Your sister would've been proud." Ugh, everyone brought up my sister whenever they were around me. It was like her honorable performance dampened everything I did well. Well, Clove, once I win the games, no one will be thinking of your performance. Only mine.


"Next time, remember your other leg." I kicked the challenger one last time for good measure and left him whimpering there. What a pathetic mess. There was no way he belonged in that arena, let alone in honorable District 2.


"Nice job, girl!!" Kate gave me a high five. "You almost made him barf! Hah, what a weakling!" Kate was the only other sensible person in the entire training class. Everyone else was merciful and kind. Such circus monkeys.


I was going to get into that arena this year, whether I volunteered or not. No one was going to stop me. And then, I'll be the best victor that anyone's ever seen.


As I waltzed home, prowling the streets for unsuspecting freaks, I heard a scream from inside my house. Then another, only this time it was a male scream. That meant Aunt Enobaria and Dad were sparring again.


"You've gotten old, Leo." She gave him a sucker punch, laughing all the while.


"Not as old as you!" Dad swept her legs out from under her and put her in a chokehold. I held my breath. That was what real victors looked like. Finally, she tapped out. Sometimes Dad won, sometimes she won, but they could both fight better than anyone I'd ever seen. That was what happened in the arena. You grew strong.


Enobaria wasn't actually my aunt, but she was the closest victor to my Dad. She had won the 62nd Games, my Dad had won the 60th. He had known her since childhood though.


"Dad, Eno, I'm home." I threw my bag on the table, which brought their heads up immediately.


"Hey, Fox!" That was his nickname for me. Fearless Fox. Wasn't that bad, actually, compared to what it could be. Foxes were agile, clever, vicious. He'd started calling me that after I killed my first rabbit.

I walked up into my room, picking up pieces of equipment as I went. It was time to practice. I normally practiced for five hours nonstop, but this was different. Reaping was in a week. I had to practice on a target.


As I ran back out into the streets, I flexed my muscles and breathed in the fresh air. It felt good to be the queen.

_______________________________________________

"Stop!!" The tiny kids were running away, frantically trying to escape. There was no law here against fighting, as long as you classified it under training for the games. I was training for the game so they allowed it.


I slammed the smallest with a combination of punches and kicks. He wouldn't survive, but I didn't care. I was going to be in tip-top shape up until the point that they plopped me in that arena.


"Ginger! What are you doing!" Suddenly, strong arms pulled me down to the ground. It was Kate Reynolds. "That's my brother, you freak!" She punched me a couple of times before running away with the weakling boy.


I was aghast. My only friend disapproved of my training for the games? Maybe she wasn't the honorable warrior I thought she was. I trudged along. Clove wouldn't have cared if someone was beating me up. She would've let me suffer, thinking it would make me stronger. That was what a good sister did. I hated to admit it, but Clove was a better sister than anyone who solves their sibling's problems for them.


DAY OF THE REAPING:


I stood in the crowd, knowing that even in my drab attire I stood out. I was the obvious choice. No one else would be volunteering if they knew that I was. The little cowards. As Martin Lestrade walked aboard the stage, he looked out at everyone. He did this every year, seeing who would bring honor and glory to the Capitol and their District. As his eyes swept over me, I smiled with pride. I was going to win this no matter what it took.


As President Snow's voice overtook the crowd, I listened. I imagined him telling me "Fine performance, Ginger. You have made Panem proud." That was every tribute's dream. Or at least the dream of every true warrior.


The tape stopped and Martin was silent. I immediately knew something was wrong. He would always start into his speech right after President Snow's video.


A scream sounded through the crowd. Peacekeepers were swarming everywhere, knocking down people left and right. So it was a test. I ran up to them, kicking and punching, chopping, and squeezing. They stood no chance. I had all of them down on the ground in seconds.


A sound wafted into my ears. Clapping. Martin Lestrade was clapping.


"Well done!! Now we must ship you off to jail." His smile never wavered.


"What? I thought it was a test! I thought I passed!" I started getting violent, kicking the wounded soldiers.


"No, my child. Not everything is a test. The Capitol was trying to infiltrate traitors, and you have just violated federal law." He giggled gleefully.


No, I had to go. They couldn't stop me. No, I was going to go. To be better than Clove. They can't stop me. No! My mind kept spiraling in a circle, angry and deranged. Suddenly, I turned on him.


"You can't stop me. I'm going to the games no matter what." I lunged at him, no longer caring. There was a new victor in town.



DEDICATED TO FEARLESS FOX, KATE REYNOLDS, and LEO GREER. CHECK THEM OUT PLEASE THEY'RE AMAZING!!!!

December 02, 2020 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

185 comments

GREAT STORY LOVED IT HOW DO YOU MAKE MY HEART LEAP EVERY TIME?!?!

Reply

. .
17:30 Dec 02, 2020

I guess that's just what writing is lol!!

Reply

I HOPE U WRITE MORRR I NEED MORRR (No pressure okay?)

Reply

. .
12:45 Dec 03, 2020

Lol I will!!

Reply

YAYAAYAYAYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply

. .
18:22 Dec 03, 2020

YAAAAY

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
18:48 Dec 06, 2020

GREAT JOB!!! And thanks so much for including me!! I really like the Hunger Games so this was just wonderful! :)

Reply

. .
18:51 Dec 06, 2020

Yay!! You finally saw it!!! I feel like, even though you were in a career district, you'd be nice and kind deep down.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:52 Dec 06, 2020

Aw thankss!!

Reply

. .
18:52 Dec 06, 2020

No Problem!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
18:52 Dec 06, 2020

Hey Kate, can you get me to 2000?

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:53 Dec 06, 2020

Ooh sureee!!

Reply

. .
18:54 Dec 06, 2020

Yay!!! Thanks so much!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
15:15 Dec 09, 2020

what do you consider junk fiction??

Reply

. .
15:18 Dec 09, 2020

Pornography, Nurse Fiction, insanely crzy sci-fi, fanfics I believe are a good starting point but not the best to be published.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:21 Dec 09, 2020

Insanely crazy sci-fi? Hmm, okay. I'm curious as to what those would be considering you like books like Divergent and Hunger Games XD.

Reply

. .
15:22 Dec 09, 2020

No, dystopian to me is an honest genre, but insane sci-fi is like using other books inside of your own or other fandoms, and going into it with the intention of making a movie.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:27 Dec 09, 2020

So what do you think of the Star Wars franchise? Those were books before they were films.

Reply

. .
15:29 Dec 09, 2020

That had very legitimate worldbuilding, and I think that doesn't qualify for junk fiction, but maybe a little closer to the junky side.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
21:08 Dec 02, 2020

Wow!! I loved the cleverness of this story, and how you paid tribute (loll) to the Hunger Games while spinning it to your style!!!!

Reply

. .
21:14 Dec 02, 2020

Thanks so much!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
21:15 Dec 02, 2020

Of course:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marcail Nevaeh
18:54 Dec 02, 2020

Amazing Job!

Reply

. .
18:55 Dec 02, 2020

Thanks you!!

Reply

Marcail Nevaeh
20:32 Dec 02, 2020

Yup!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A. S.
18:08 Dec 02, 2020

This was great! I really enjoyed how you built your characters and incorporated bits and pieces of the original trilogy into your story. Good job!

Reply

. .
18:12 Dec 02, 2020

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:13 Dec 02, 2020

WOWOWOWOW!!! AMAZING!!! (I’m totally awesome! XD Jk.) So... I’m guessing you like the Hunger Games?

Reply

. .
17:13 Dec 02, 2020

I am an oblongly large fan. Yeah, you're a total badass

Reply

17:16 Dec 02, 2020

I’ve only read the first one so far, but I’m waiting on the other two! Haha! Yea, nobody messes with the Fox or else... XD

Reply

. .
17:16 Dec 02, 2020

There's also another prequel that she wrote. Yeah, no one messes with the Fox!! Can I call you Ginger, since that was her name??

Reply

17:18 Dec 02, 2020

Oh really? Wait, was that “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” or something like that? I want to read that, too! XD Yeah, sure!!!

Reply

. .
17:19 Dec 02, 2020

Yeah, it was the story of Prez Snow. Yay!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
20:59 Mar 15, 2021

AHHHHHHH! This is a good story! I love the Hunger Games, and Suzanne Collins really only focuses on District 12, occasionally 11, but hot dang I wanted to know more about the Careers! I love that you made Ginger's aunt Enobaria! Such a clever idea!

Reply

. .
21:31 Mar 15, 2021

Thankooooooooooooo Peregrin!!!! That’s so kind!!!

Reply

Pippin Took
00:53 Mar 16, 2021

I like that you call me Peregrin XD

Reply

. .
11:48 Mar 16, 2021

Well that's his real name XDDDDDDDDDDDD Him and Meriadoc Brandybuck!!!

Reply

Pippin Took
13:33 Mar 16, 2021

Very true :D

Reply

. .
13:35 Mar 16, 2021

Heehee so happy to find another LOTR fan!!! You should check out my bestie Mira, she adores them too!! She's an Arwen fan...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
13:18 Jan 07, 2021

I am absolutely obsessed with the hunger games and I didn't really enjoy the book that just came out but thank you SO MUCH for writing this! I loved this one so unbelievably much !!

Reply

. .
13:23 Jan 07, 2021

Awwwww Thank you!!! I really enjoyed writing this!!

Reply

Frances Reine
13:29 Jan 07, 2021

No problem! ...Got any more? lol

Reply

. .
13:29 Jan 07, 2021

I don't have any more THG fanfics, but I can write another fanfic if you tell me which book you want me to write it for!!

Reply

Frances Reine
13:34 Jan 07, 2021

OMG rlly? Could you please do a little one for Catching Fire? If you have time and if the prompt matches, I mean. No worries if you don't :) Can't wait for ANYTHING you write in the future! ;)

Reply

. .
13:35 Jan 07, 2021

Ofc!!! I'll do it next contest, and a new story of mine is coming out today!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This character get so carried away sometimes... Kind of like me, so I'm glad I don't like in the hunger games. (I'm weird)

Reply

. .
21:53 Jan 01, 2021

Lol I’m weird you’re weird we’re all weird

Reply

Cheers for being weird :)

Reply

. .
22:22 Jan 01, 2021

😂

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:53 Dec 11, 2020

Wow, Litlover! This was great! I love the Hunger Games, and this was an interesting and awesome spin-off! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Phebe Emmanuel
01:10 Dec 06, 2020

This was amazing! #justanotherhungergamesfan

Reply

. .
13:30 Dec 06, 2020

Lol #justanotherhungergamesfan indeed!!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
20:21 Dec 06, 2020

:)

Reply

. .
20:22 Dec 06, 2020

Also, my profile pic establishes me as #thatagathachristiesuperfan

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
20:25 Dec 06, 2020

Oh, it just gets better!

Reply

. .
20:25 Dec 06, 2020

Lol yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:55 Dec 03, 2020

Ouuu, this was interesting tooo! It was kinda different from your other stories, or maybe I have just read all of your sad ones, but this one had action, you have always been good at showing the emotions of your characters through your writing and this one just showed that! I enjoyed this one! And the ending was sorta surprising but I know her pride would be crushed in the end! I wanted to know the backstory though, like what happened to Cloveeee. But eh I think that was another thing unique about this one, you didn't add a back story! Not a...

Reply

. .
12:45 Dec 03, 2020

Yeah I really love sad stories!! Thanks so much!!! I'm glad you like that I'm branching out!! You'll be in my next one!!!

Reply

13:31 Dec 03, 2020

Of course!! Oh really😲, thank you soooo much🤧can't wait to read it! Have a great day!

Reply

. .
13:32 Dec 03, 2020

U too!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
17:28 Dec 02, 2020

This is awesome! Great job!

Reply

. .
17:28 Dec 02, 2020

THG unite!!!

Reply

Ari Berri
17:45 Dec 11, 2020

Is your name hunger games??

Reply

. .
17:47 Dec 11, 2020

Yeah, but someone else got it first...

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
17:47 Dec 11, 2020

Yeah, but someone else got it first...

Reply

Ari Berri
17:49 Dec 11, 2020

Eh, it's fine. It's the first one I've been able to guess in a while, though.

Reply

. .
17:50 Dec 11, 2020

True... true... I did scythe once but no one got it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
17:02 Dec 02, 2020

...wow. I am seriously impressed. Great job, you have outdone yourself yet again.

Reply

. .
17:03 Dec 02, 2020

Do you think I captured the family essence of Clove?

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:04 Dec 02, 2020

Yessss!

Reply

. .
17:05 Dec 02, 2020

This was in only 30 min. I had school, so it took a little longer.

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:12 Dec 02, 2020

uyguyfhvjljehbfuwdbckjxbznm. ...

Reply

. .
17:13 Dec 02, 2020

lol I wanted to try a spinoff/fanfic

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
18:26 Jan 09, 2021

A character that actually WANTS to be in the Hunger Games, very interesting... That's such a new idea, I liked it!

Reply

. .
18:28 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much!! I thought it was too!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
01:27 Dec 29, 2020

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Once again, I love the dedication you put in your writing, and I love how you dedicated another story to a few more amazing writers! I liked how it was a HG spinoff, amazing job! XD

Reply

. .
12:36 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks so much!!! You have a lot more dedication to read allllll oofffff myyyyyy storiessssss

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:17 Dec 29, 2020

YES I was so determined lmao

Reply

. .
22:34 Dec 29, 2020

Ha lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
14:26 Dec 04, 2020

Hiii! (Can't stop reading this...it's SO GOOD. And can't stop listening to Eclipse. I've listened to it 6 times this morning XD) I also upvoted you a ton... in advance, you're welcome.

Reply

. .
14:29 Dec 04, 2020

Lol me tooooooo. Thanks so much!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:51 Dec 04, 2020

Np! (ECLIPSE)

Reply

. .
14:53 Dec 04, 2020

Moonstar....

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:56 Dec 04, 2020

AAHHHHHHHHH IT'S SO GOOD

Reply

. .
14:57 Dec 04, 2020

Listen to Spit it Out that's amazing too but yeah they're awesome!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I like the tying in of Clove, and Enobaria. Your character definitely seems like a District 2 tribute for the Hunger Games!

Reply

. .
21:07 Dec 02, 2020

Lol I agree!! Thanks!!!

Reply

Of course! Are you going to do a part 2?

Reply

. .
21:26 Dec 02, 2020

Prob not, cause she went crazy and I like it on it's own!

Reply

oh, ok! is this what would have happened if Katniss hadn't offered the berries?

Reply

. .
21:29 Dec 02, 2020

Yeah, she wins and it's just like any normal games.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:36 Dec 02, 2020

Noice!!! This was good!!! I have to admit this...I've never read The Hunger Games... But I really want to now!!! This was soo good!!! I really liked the characters!!! Amazing job, Luke!

Reply

. .
19:37 Dec 02, 2020

YOU MUST IF YOU HAVE NOT!!! THanks tho

Reply

Avery G.
19:38 Dec 02, 2020

I KNOW RIGHT!?!?! My friends keep on telling me to read it... No problem!

Reply

. .
19:39 Dec 02, 2020

IT"S AMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAZING!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:39 Dec 02, 2020

Ahh, and please give me a clue for the emojis...I'm stuck

Reply

. .
19:42 Dec 02, 2020

An über famous classic, the star face is famous and the horse is a knight's horse. Also, the country of the flag is the country the knight is from.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.