Melting Is Deadly

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

184 comments

Science Fiction Drama Fantasy


The popsicle is going to kill me.

Not directly. No, itโ€™s the heat plus the popsicle that will end me.

I remember those times when a popsicle melting was mildly annoying. Less to be eaten, more to be cleaned. It dripped down my leg, leaving a sticky trail of artificial flavoring.

Now, the popsicle melting is deadly.

I gulp and try to calm myself as it melts a little more. Becauseโ€ฆย ย 

Every drip that slides off shaves more time off my life.

Every drop means I get closer to perishing.

Every little bit of cherry ice that dares melt makes me clutch myself in fear.

Even though it happened five months, thirty days ago, I still remember I got my curse. After all, how could I forget?

ย Itโ€™s the day that changed everything.




โ€œOh geez! Iโ€™m so sorry, Tori!โ€

I knelt down to pet my startled Zhellyโ€”a baby Zhella, a kind of pet that has the small, furry body of a Yara and the cute, floppy-eared head of a Balt. โ€œI swear I wonโ€™t accidentally step on your tail ever again,โ€ I said solemnly, my straight face dissolving in a grin as she licked me.

I patted Tori one more time and continued my trot to the kitchen, where my mom was calling me.

โ€œThere you are!โ€ She exclaimed. โ€œJay Moore, you've been on planet Yiika for sixteen years. You should know by now that when I say come here, it does not mean come here in five minutes!โ€

โ€œSorry, Mom,โ€ I smiled, grabbing a donut off the table and munching a bite. โ€œWhy did you want me?โ€

โ€œKing Hark will be providing popsicles for any kidsโ€”they have to prove theyโ€™re under seventeen, though. Cherry is your favorite, right? Hereโ€™s six Airgeadโ€โ€”she pressed the coins into my handโ€”โ€œwhich should be enough.โ€

โ€œThanks, Mom!โ€ I hugged her then ran out the door.

Yiika was always hot. It had two seasons: Yeh and Tah. Yeh was warm, Tah was extremely hot. I wished I was a Freezer.

There was no way to get cool on Yiika. Our only source of coldness is Freezersโ€”the small population of Yiikans born with the ability to freeze things. They freeze food, make frozen things like popsicles and ice cream and ice, and are like heroes to society.

There are only ten or so of them anyway, and they are closely regulated. They sell their services, but a cut of the profit must go to the king. Not that he needs more money.

Our rich but old king, King Hark, was the most powerful Freezer of them all. He was pretty nice, and often hosted events where he gave out free frozen treats.

It only happened once or twice a month, so I sprinted as fast as I could over the hillsโ€”until I got to the biggest hill of all, the one that you could see from everywhere in the village.ย The royal palace towered over me, providing a little comfort from the burning noon sun.

It was twelve-oh-five when I made my deadly mistake.

I got in line. But it was long. The king sat on an ice throneโ€”must be nice to have your butt be cold, I thought bitterlyโ€”handing popsicles to the kids. I was impatient at the back of sixty people. I had to get home to finish my homework, and these children had all day.

Why should I have to stand in the back? I thought.

Thatโ€™s when I did the regret of my life.

I cut. Everybody. I squeezed to the front, where I took a spot behind the kid getting a popsicle. Before he was even done walking away, I knelt before the king and said, โ€œCherry, please. Itโ€™s my favorite.โ€

I thought I was pretty polite, but apparently, the king thought something else.

โ€œYou cut!โ€ He boomed. โ€œYouโ€™re a liar, a cheater, a disgrace to this world!โ€

It wasnโ€™t even that big of a deal, but he went on and one about how awful I was. I just stayed there, on the ground, as he ranted about how I was raised.

โ€œGirl, stand.โ€

I did, my head still bent.

โ€œYouโ€™re a disgrace to this planet, do you hear me? Youโ€™re going to be banished.โ€

My eyes widened. โ€œFromโ€ฆwhere? Here? Our village?โ€

โ€œNo,โ€ he said coldly, โ€œthe planet.โ€

My heart was thumping, pounding in my ears. โ€œWhat do you mean?โ€

โ€œYouโ€™ll be sent in a bubble-rocket tomorrow,โ€ he said, โ€œto Earth. Maybe the people there will take you in. Youโ€™ll be in the rocket for six months.โ€

My breathing turned shallow. What have I done? The little voice in my head said, scared. I was going to be sent away. From the planet. I was a Yiikan, so I didnโ€™t need food or water to live, but surviving six months in solitary, in space, still soundedโ€ฆawful.

I gulped. Gulped again. Thenโ€ฆ โ€œIs that all?โ€

โ€œNo,โ€ King Hark bellowed. โ€œYouโ€™re not only a disgrace to this planet, but youโ€™re a disgrace to this world. You are not worthy of living.โ€ I ONLY WANTED A POPSICLE! My brain screamed. I CUT A LINE, AND NOW YOUโ€™RE GOING TO KILL ME?!

I hadnโ€™t realized I had said the last part aloud until King Hark frowned. โ€œYes, but no.โ€ He waved his hand, and a red popsicle appeared. He handed it to me. โ€œYou like cherry popsicles so much? Here.โ€

I took a cautious lick, then stopped when I saw King Harkโ€™s grin. โ€œThat popsicle is your life,โ€ he said, โ€œit is bound to you by fate. As soon as itโ€™s completely meltedโ€ฆโ€ย ย 

He made an ice bucket then stood up and kicked it into the hills. It shattered.

โ€œWhat?!โ€ I exclaimed. โ€œButโ€ฆ butโ€ฆ itโ€™s Tah! Itโ€™ll be gone in an hour!โ€ My eyes widened again. โ€œIโ€™ll be gone in an hour!โ€

โ€œDonโ€™t worry. This popsicle is magic. You have six or so months before it's completely gone. Six or so months in the rocket, too. Nowโ€ฆI suggest you get back home.โ€

His lips curled into a small smile. โ€œItโ€™ll be your last time there, Say goodbye, Jay. Say goodbye.โ€ย 




I took a shaky breath as I am whisked back to the present. My eyes dart around, taking in the view of my current location.

Itโ€™s nothing new.

Iโ€™ve been floating through space for five months, twenty-nine days. My bubble rocket is a large, clear sphere the size of a gym. Itโ€™s unbreakable, and the only way I can get out is through a small door that I can open just onceโ€”when I land on Earth.

Speaking of Earth, Iโ€™ll be there soon. Very soon. The bubble rocket magically hurls through space super-fast towards Earth, and itโ€™s been doing that for almost six months.

My life, in the form, of a cherry popsicle, has been shrinking for almost six months.

I used to have hopes and dreams. I wanted to be an adventurer, to find the magic of how to become a Freezer.

Now, my only hope is life is to get to Earth before the popsicle is completely melted. I wanted to see this other planet. What do its inhabitants look like? Technology? I wonder about its hierarchy.

I hope it doesnโ€™t have an evil king.




โ€œEARTH!โ€ I shout, jumping a second later. The only sound Iโ€™ve heard for the past half year is my own voice, but I hardly speak. Any sort of noise startles me, even if itโ€™s my own.

But soon, Iโ€™ll hear other peopleโ€™s voices!

Earth is in sight. Itโ€™s huge! And so pretty! Green and blue, wrapped in a bundle of white. I wish Yiika looked like thisโ€”and I knew what it looked like from space, seeing I had a blast-off on it.

I shut down the memory and focus on the gorgeous planet up ahead.ย ย 

I glance at my popsicle. Itโ€™s in a clear sphere hanging around my neckโ€”the sphere is made of a mix between plastic and glass, making it quite durable and hard to break. The temperature inside is a constant forty degrees by magic.

Anyways, the popsicle is extremely thin. A little bit of flavored ice lashed to a stick. I gulp as a single drop drips off the popsicle and into the pool of red sugar water at the bottom of the sphere.

I just want enough time.

Enough time to see Earth.

I have a couple days left to live, and a day or two before I get to Earth.

That seems possible.ย 

Right?

Space is always dark, so I choose when I go to bed and wake up. It looks like Iโ€™m almost there, so I decided to go to bed.

Hopefully, when I wake up, I get to see Earth before my popsicle completely melts.

Before I die.

I try to make myself comfortable on the hard, curved floor, and although I try to blink my sadness away, a tear still slips down my cheek.




I awake to being smacked against the side of the bubble.

โ€œACK!โ€ I holler as I crash to the ceiling and to the floor again. This took being jostled around to a whole new level! But why?

I look around. Actually, this time. And nothing prepared me for what I was seeing next.

I was entering Earthโ€™s atmosphere! The planet is right below me now, the shapes of land getting closer and closer. My body flies to the tip of the sphere as I hurtle towards the Earth.

Suddenly, Iโ€™m afraid.

Will the bubble-rocket make it?

ย Most things burn up in Yiikaโ€™s atmosphere, but I donโ€™t know about Earth. I know the bubble-rocket is supposed to be unbreakable, but does that mean itโ€™s in-burnable?ย 

Iโ€™m terrified as I continue falling. My back is pressed against the top of the sphere, with so much force pressing against me my body counters gravity.

Oh, godโ€ฆGRAVITY!

Thereโ€™s gravity on Earth! I havenโ€™t encountered the sensation for so long! In the rocket, I just let myself drift around. It was super hard to sleep. Now, for my remaining time on Earth, I would be STUCK ON THE GROUND!

No, I tell myself, trying to shut the gleeful thoughts down. Earth might not have strong gravity. Plus, you might dieโ€”from the fall or from your popsicleโ€”before you get there, anyway.

My eyes crash shut as I wait until I arrive at my destination.




It takes so long.

So long.ย 

In reality, it takes only minutes for the fall to happen. But right now, it seems like Iโ€™ve been falling for years and years and years.

And now, Iโ€™m about to land.

My rocket just popped a parachute. How, though?! Magic, probably. The sphere is completely clear, so I would see any hatch. Anyways, the parachute is so huge my mind canโ€™t even register the huge-ness.

Iโ€™m falling. Slower, now. I think itโ€™s more magic to soften the fall. Iโ€™m back on the floor of the sphere as I drift down, down, downโ€ฆย 

ONLY TWO HUNDRED MORE FEET!

Iโ€™m so excited!

Iโ€™m about to die, but Iโ€™m so excited!

Iโ€™m slowly floating down to the ocean. Oh look, everybody is staring up at me. Hey, these guys look like Yiikans! Nice!

Andโ€ฆIโ€™mโ€ฆON EARTH!

My sphere crashes into the ocean. I get jostled around even more, but somehow, Iโ€™m alive.ย 

Water is over the sphere now. I walk overโ€”yes, WALKโ€”to the hatch and pop is open. Water starts gushing in, so I swim out of the doorway and up to air.

I gasp and my lungs breathe.

And breatheโ€ฆย 

And breathe.

EARTH AIR! Iโ€™m so psyched.

I, Jay Moore, am on Earth.

I glance at the popsicle around my neck as I flounder on the surface. Iโ€™d say I have twenty-four hours before it melts completely. Before I die.

Iโ€™ve never been this close to death.

Iโ€™m literally on the edge, on the border.

Itโ€™s certain. My existence will be gone in a couple days.

The thought makes me want to break down and sob. Itโ€™s really hard, knowing when and how youโ€™ll die. Iโ€™ve known for months, although uts feel like years. The only reason Iโ€™m still sane is because Iโ€™m trying, trying, trying to be cheerful.

I know I only have a day left to live.

But I donโ€™t want to spend my last day before death worrying about dying.

Iโ€™m going to swim to shore and have fun.

Iโ€™m going to forget about this popsicle.

โ€œGAH!โ€ I shrieked. โ€œAhh! No!โ€

Hands are clutched around my waist. Whatโ€™s happening?!

โ€œItโ€™s okay,โ€ a female voice says from behind me, โ€œIโ€™ve got you. Youโ€™re not going to drown. Just relax.โ€

I get the idea. This Earthling is trying to save me.

I let whoever-she-is swim me back to the shore. Once there, I climb onto the sand and face her. โ€œHi.โ€

My savior looks around my age. Sheโ€™s in a teal tankini with her inky black hair falling down her shoulders in curls. Her eyes are a brilliant blue and her lips are extremely red. Sheโ€™s easily the most beautiful person Iโ€™ve ever seen.

โ€œHello,โ€ she smiles.

โ€œHi!โ€ I say again. A HUMAN!!! โ€œThanks for saving me!โ€

She gulps. I can tell sheโ€™s freaking out. โ€œHowโ€ฆhow did you come from the sky?โ€

โ€œFirst,โ€ I say, โ€œletโ€™s talk.โ€

She leads me off the beach and to aโ€ฆ weird, flat stretch of rock. Big hunks ofโ€ฆmetal? were scattered around. The girl walks up to one and pulls open a door. A row of leather seats are inside. She pats one. โ€œCome on in.โ€

โ€œWhat is this?โ€ I breathe when weโ€™re both seated.

โ€œA private place,โ€ she says. โ€œNow, please, explain.โ€

โ€œIโ€™m Jay,โ€ I said, โ€œJay Moore.โ€

โ€œIโ€™m Zippora,โ€ she smiled. โ€œI live in Arlington.โ€

Iโ€™m contemplating how to answer when Zippora put her hands on her knees. โ€œAre you an alien?โ€

โ€œWhat?โ€ I say in delight.

โ€œWell, you just hurtled from the sky. In a bubble.โ€

โ€œA bubble-rocket,โ€ I correct her. โ€œAnd, I guess Iโ€™m an alien. Iโ€™m not from here, anyway. See, I used to live on the planet Yiika. I messed up and got sent here. Iโ€™ve been in space for half a year. Also, Iโ€™m about to die.โ€

โ€œWhat?โ€ She says, horrified.

โ€œLong story short, my life is tied to this popsicle.โ€ I lift my necklace up so she can see the sorry excuse for a dessert. โ€œAs soon as this baby melts, I die.โ€

โ€œHow can you live knowing that?!โ€

โ€œIt hasnโ€™t been much of a life in space,โ€ I muse, โ€œbut Iโ€™m here now. And I have around a day to have fun.โ€

Zippora stares at my popsicle. โ€œCanโ€™t you put it in a freezer?โ€

โ€œIn a Freezer?โ€ I squint. โ€œWhat? I donโ€™t want somebody eating it.โ€

โ€œโ€˜Somebodyโ€™?โ€

โ€œYeah?โ€

Weโ€™re both super confused.

โ€œAll I know is that I have a freezer,โ€ Zippora says, โ€œand if you put your popsicle in there, it wonโ€™t melt.โ€

โ€œA Freezer?โ€ I say. โ€œYou can own a Yiikan?โ€

Zippora sighs. โ€œOkay, what do you think a freezer is?โ€

โ€œA Freezer is a person with magic ice powers.โ€

She giggles. โ€œWell, our freezers are a kind of technology.โ€ Another drips slides off my popsicle. โ€œNo!โ€ I shout, looking down at my pop. โ€œNo, no, no! Hang in there, buddy!โ€

Zippora is definitely freaked out. Iโ€™m kind of amazed she believes me, but then again, she just saw me hurtle down from space. When that single Earthing came to Yiika ten years agoโ€”he was an inventor, I thinkโ€”we sure didnโ€™t believe him, even though we saw him enter the atmosphere. It was especially hard to believe him when he spoke of a planet called Earth, but we eventually listened.ย ย 

โ€œI need to get you to my house,โ€ Zippora decides.

She gets out of the back seat and a second later, sheโ€™s sitting in a seat in front of me. โ€œBuckle up,โ€ she says, glancing back at me. โ€œIโ€™m driving.โ€




Driving is terrifying.ย 

The whole time, I was afraid the hunk of metal was going to jerk off course and kill me early.

Surprisingly, I lived.

We get to Zipporaโ€™s house just as the sun is starting to set. She takes out another bit of metal and slides it in the hole of her door. It opens and we walk in.

Her house is super different from mine. Itโ€™s coolโ€”by which I mean cold, but itโ€™s awesome, too.

Without even letting me admire her home, Zippora grabs my hand and leads me to her kitchen. In it is ANOTHER hunk of metal, tall and silver.

Zippora grabs a handle near the bottom and pulls.

I gasp. Part of the hunk of metal is a door!

I place my hand in and shiver. Thatโ€™s cold.

โ€œOkay,โ€ Zippora says, โ€œletโ€™s put the popsicle in here. Can you break the container?โ€

I suck my breath in and smash it.

My life topples out.

Zippora scoops up the last bit of popsicle and places it in a bowl on the counter. Then, she puts the bowl into theโ€ฆfreezer.

Before she closes it, I watch as the popsicle melts a little. A drip is falling down, but before it slides offโ€ฆย 

It stops.

Frozen on the popsicle.

I gasp and swallow, my eyes swimming, as Zippora shuts the freezer. She looks up and smiles at me.

I tackle-hug her, so much salt water steaming out of my eyes I was afraid my tears ducts would break. Iโ€™m safe. Iโ€™m SAFE! The popsicle is frozen in time!

โ€œYouโ€™re going to live a long, long time, Jay,โ€ Zipporaโ€™s voice says from behind my neck.

I smile as more tears stream down my face. โ€œI know.โ€

I bury my face in her shoulder, my body so full of raw emotion Iโ€™m afraid Iโ€™m going to burst. The curse is broken. Iโ€™m going to live. I finally choke out,ย 

โ€œThank you.โ€



August 05, 2020 15:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

184 comments

22:13 Aug 05, 2020

Okay, I got this idea from Rhondalise Mitza. Hereโ€™s a random list of ways to cure any authorโ€™s enemy: โ‚ฉโฑคล‚โ‚ฎษ†โฑคโ€™โ‚ด เธฟโฑ ร˜โ‚ตโ‚ญ!!! *screaming* Anyways, some of these are tried and tested, some I made up like a second ago. Yippee. ๐–๐€๐˜๐’ ๐“๐Ž ๐‚๐”๐‘๐„ ๐–๐‘๐ˆ๐“๐„๐‘โ€™๐’ ๐๐‹๐Ž๐‚๐Š: 1. ๐™ผ๐šŠ๐š”๐šŽ ๐šœ๐š˜๐š–๐šŽ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š‹๐šŠ๐š ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š™๐š™๐šŽ๐š— ๐š๐š˜ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž๐š› ๐šŒ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š›๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š๐šŽ๐š›๐šœ. ๐š‚๐š–๐šŠ๐š•๐š• ๐š˜๐š› ๐š๐š›๐šŠ๐šœ๐š๐š’๐šŒ! 2. ๐™ท๐šŽ๐š›๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š›๐šŽ ๐š๐š’๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š ๐š˜๐š›๐š๐šœ: ๐š—๐š˜๐š˜๐š๐š•๐šŽ, ๐š™๐šž๐š›๐š™๐š•๐šŽ ๐šœ๐š๐š›๐šŠ๐š’๐š—๐šŽ๐š›, ๐š‹๐š˜๐šž๐š—๐šŒ๐šข ๐š‹๐šŠ๐š•๐š•, ๐šƒ๐š‘๐š˜๐š–๐šŠ๐šœ ๐™น๐šŽ๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š›๐šœ๐š˜๐š—, ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š„๐™ถ๐™ท. ๐™ฝ๐š˜๐š , ๐š ๐š‘๐šŽ๐š›๐šŽ๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š› ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š•๐šŽ๐š๐š ๐š˜๐š๐š ๐š’๐š— ๐šข๐š˜๐šž๐š› ๐š ๐š›๐š’๐š๐š’๐š—๐š, ๐š๐š˜ ๐š ๐š›๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐š๐šŽ๐š— ๐šœ๐šŽ๐š—๐š๐šŽ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ๐šœ. ๐™ฑ๐šž๐š ๐šŽ๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š›๐šข ๐š˜๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š› ๐šœ๐šŽ๐š—๐š๐šŽ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ ๐š–๐šž๐šœ๐š ๐šž๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š ๐š๐š‘๐š˜๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š ๐š˜๐š›๐š๐šœ. 2. ๐™ถ๐š˜ ๐š˜๐š— ๐šŠ ๐š ๐šŠ๐š•๐š” ...

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:56 Aug 06, 2020

Omg Aerin, I loveeee thisssss! Also, is the answer to the riddle that he is 25 in dog years? Idk...Jut decided to guess today...

Reply

13:00 Aug 06, 2020

Haha, thanks! Wow, that works! Wasnโ€™t the answer I was going for, but you still got it right! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
16:05 Aug 07, 2020

Wow, this'll help! And the answer to today's riddle is a cold right? Also, great story! I feel like you could've explained that she was 16 and living in Ziika a bit more subtlety, but at least you got the point across!

Reply

16:19 Aug 07, 2020

Yep, thatโ€™s it! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
03:24 Aug 06, 2020

Hey, lovely imagination ! And thanks for the tips! - S

Reply

11:52 Aug 06, 2020

๐Ÿ˜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney Haynes
15:41 Aug 06, 2020

Love the tips. Will have to try! Trying to make this deadline. ๐Ÿฅต

Reply

16:08 Aug 06, 2020

Haha, you can do it! ๐Ÿคฉ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 6 replies
15:47 Aug 05, 2020

Hi, guys! This story was a bit of an experiment. I never write in present tense, so I hope I did okay. Also, I hope you guys like how I wrote this, because I used a different voice! Thatโ€™s pretty much it. Enjoy! ~Aerin (P. S. I know this is super longโ€”seriously, I was just words away from the limitโ€”but I hope itโ€™s interesting the whole way through!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
14:47 Aug 07, 2020

OKAY, WAIT, IS THE ANSWER TO THE RIDDLE YOUR BREATH?!?!? CAUSE LIKE, CATCH MY BREATH AND STUFF?!?!? IS ITTTTT

Reply

15:00 Aug 07, 2020

YES, IT ISSSSSSSSSSSSS CONGRAAAAATS ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ Tehehehehe so very enthusiastic. Actually, I was going for โ€˜a coldโ€™, but once again, you came up with a new answer! That means... DOUBLE CONGRATS!๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ ...yeah. Bye!

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:08 Aug 07, 2020

YASSSSSSSSSSS bye lol

Reply

20:48 Aug 08, 2020

riddles are so frustrating for me i would've never got that ( *in narrator voice* another episode of celeste butting herself into others peoples conversations and not having any boundaries)

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:53 Aug 09, 2020

lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
20:36 Aug 08, 2020

Omg Aerin! I love the way you changed your bio! Got to learn more bout u as well :) Keep writing!

Reply

21:13 Aug 08, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cam Croz
16:12 Oct 08, 2020

Wow! awesome story! I really love the worlds and charcters that you create! They are all super intersting, unique, and creative! This one was so good! I cant wait to read more.

Reply

00:39 Oct 09, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
17:21 Aug 07, 2020

Answer: you catch a cold :D

Reply

17:22 Aug 07, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
16:18 Aug 05, 2020

Aerinnnn, I've been waiting for your next story!!! Yayyyy I loved this so much and speaking as someone who almost always writes in the present tense, I didn't find one mistake. Really great job. As always, it was so very creative! How do you come up with ideas?!?! And you said you're in writers block too...I wish I had your type of writer's block. It was amazing and I didn't get bored one bit. Over here, "โ€œYouโ€™re going to life a long, long time, Jay," I think you meant to put live with a v. Other than that, I can't find anything wrong....

Reply

16:23 Aug 05, 2020

Thanks you so much, Amany! Yay, Iโ€™m glad I didnโ€™t mess up with present tense! I had to edit this story like 5 times to get rid of the โ€˜wasโ€™s and stuff... Haha, thanks! I WAS in writerโ€™s block, then I decided I wanted to try something new to get out of it. Soooo I used a different tense, added a flashback, wrote in a bit of a different voice, and threw in a curse. Curses are always fun. ๐Ÿ˜† Wow, thanks for catching that! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ Again, THANK YOU! Your feedback is always a delight to read!!!! ~aERIn~

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:37 Aug 05, 2020

No problem! Haha, yes present tense is sometimes annoying. Yeah, actually if you didn't see, in the small writing advice thing in my bio, I say that making something bad happen to your protagonist is a great way to get rid of writers block and a curse is kind of the same thing. You're welcome! And any time, as are your stories!

Reply

16:50 Aug 05, 2020

Haha, yeah! I original learned that trick a couple years ago and used it in my first novella. I typically do more drastic bad things, thoughโ€”like, there was a giant wildfire (my main character was in the woods). Actually, before I did daily riddles, I did biweekly writing advice. One of them was yep, that. I thought it was funny when I learned you out the exact same trick in your bio!

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:52 Aug 05, 2020

Haha yes! Also, waiting till I can read your book :) I'm trying to write two in the same time, but I'm not close to the end. Maybe one day...

Reply

17:15 Aug 05, 2020

Yay! Haha, thatโ€™s what I used to do. See, me and my friend, Sarah, used to write in docs. But it wasnโ€™t official or anythingโ€”we wrote a ton at once. Anyways, I slowly ditched my stories, until I had all but oneโ€”Color Quest. Seriously, Iโ€™m amazed CQ wasnโ€™t ditched since I start it in 4th gradeโ€”17 months ago. Anyways. I finally realized that, as crazy as it sounded, one story at a time is the way to go. I think itโ€™s so cool youโ€™re writing two at once! Although, of I may, suggestion: you might want to switch your focus to one story, ...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kat Sencen
15:43 Jun 11, 2021

I hope there's never a power outage in which the freezer stops working-

Reply

20:07 Jun 11, 2021

Lolz tru-

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I loved your ideas for writer's block! You are seriously so inspiring! You're my age and publishing a novel, and you have such great writing skills! It is always so fun to read your stories! If you wouldn't mind, could you check out my latest story, the queen of hearts, and give me feedback?

Reply

12:03 Aug 19, 2020

Haha, thank youuuu! Of course Iโ€™ll read your story! ๐Ÿ˜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<3 >3
18:27 Aug 09, 2020

just to let yk its me celeste logged into my friends account to upvote more of your stuff like twice yk?

Reply

18:58 Aug 09, 2020

Oh my gosh Celeste, for the millionth time, THANK YOUUUU! I haven't checked yet, but I think Iโ€™m either in the top ten on the leaderboard to close to thay! Thanks SO much for taking time out of your day to upvote my comments!!! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Reply

20:45 Aug 09, 2020

No problem! I think your ten on the leaderboard now. Also, I noticed you posted a new story. I'll be sure to check it out later (rn I'm working on a top-secret new post for the new contest!!)

Reply

20:46 Aug 09, 2020

Ooh nice I canโ€™t wait to read it ๐Ÿ˜ (Iโ€™ve actually been waiting for one of your new stories for a while hehe)

Reply

20:50 Aug 09, 2020

fr?? lol thanks, sorry for the wait. I've been waiting for some prompt to inspire me so hopefully I can have it posted today or as late as tomorrow. Hint: It is part 2 of one of my already posted stories!!

Reply

20:54 Aug 09, 2020

Okidy dokes, hi again! Yesterday or something I upvoted a couple dozen of your comments, but then I had to do something.๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… Now Iโ€™m gonna upvote a ton! I dunno why Iโ€™m telling you this but just keep an eye out for a bunch more karma point! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ Oki byeee! ~Aerin

Reply

Show 2 replies
20:51 Aug 09, 2020

Nice ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
16:42 Aug 08, 2020

13 hearts... Could it be the 'hearts' in the deck of cards? You know, Ace to King. I'm so sorry I don't remember the proper term. ๐Ÿ™

Reply

16:57 Aug 08, 2020

Yep, you got it right! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Reply

Authoring Studio
17:13 Aug 08, 2020

Whew๐Ÿ˜ฐ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
08:38 Aug 08, 2020

Answer to your riddle --> Butterflies. You can catch them with a net, but it's almost impossible to throw them.

Reply

12:55 Aug 08, 2020

Haha. I guess that works too, but I was going for โ€˜a coldโ€™ or, as Amany pointed out, โ€˜your breathโ€™ works too.

Reply

Akshat .
13:15 Aug 08, 2020

So it's kinda right. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
17:23 Aug 07, 2020

Brilliant story, as always... ๐Ÿ˜Šโœจ

Reply

17:23 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you! โ€˜As alwaysโ€™ means SO MUCH! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Reply

Authoring Studio
17:24 Aug 07, 2020

You're welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’œ You deserve every bit of that line๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Reply

17:25 Aug 07, 2020

๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
18:41 Aug 17, 2020

Today's riddle I know. It's tomorrow. Or I suppose you could say the future. I prefer tomorrow, though, especially because you said, "The answer will be revealed tomorrow." I know it always says that, but in this case, you could put the punctuation just a little differently, like this: The answer will be revealed: tomorrow.

Reply

21:31 Aug 17, 2020

Yesss congrats you got it right! ๐Ÿฅณ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
19:29 Aug 16, 2020

I love the way you handled this prompt. Why write about a melting popsicle if at least one person's life isn't threatened by it, am I right?

Reply

20:02 Aug 16, 2020

Ha, yup!

Reply

Regina Perry
22:00 Aug 16, 2020

Oh- and is the answer to today's riddle steam?

Reply

22:19 Aug 16, 2020

Sorry, no! But thatโ€™s definitely the most interesting guess so far...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Conan Helsley
23:40 Aug 14, 2020

This is a very interesting concept. There are things I would change or clarify, like when she says to open the popsicle container. Early on you say it's dripping onto Jay. If it's dripping onto him, how is it in a container that needs to be broken in order to place it in the freezer? Also, why does the Yiikan have a human name, but the human have an alien sounding name? How can a being from another planet survive in our environment? Is the Yiikan air mixture the same as ours? Why is dishonesty given such a heavy penalty? I think with your ta...

Reply

00:17 Aug 15, 2020

Wow, thanks so much for all that feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phil Manders
10:54 Aug 13, 2020

Hi Aerin. An interesting story and a good use of the prompt. You started off with great alternative details for the planet Yiika. You could have had more fun with this all the way through the story. The character measured the distance left to earth in feet. Maybe an alien measurement would have been better? Itโ€™s a small detail but Iโ€™m trying to be helpful ๐Ÿ˜ Great work! Now, can you explain the magic of how the Karma points work as you have Thousands of them and I have hardly any๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

Reply

12:53 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks for all the feeeeedback! Hehe, I donโ€™t know. But I post a ton of comments on stories, and sometimes I ask if the author could read one of mine, so more people check them out. Oh, and there are a looooot of a comment up voters, especially my Reedsy friends Amany and Celeste. We sometimes go on sprees of upvoting one another, like a couple days ago, when I got another 200 points. Haha, Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll climb up the leaderboard soon! Thanks again! ~Aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nic Siemer
23:56 Aug 12, 2020

Hi Aerin! I really enjoyed this story; I wasn't sure how I would feel after she was sent to Earth for a minor mistake. But it was good. The style was wonderful, and your world building seemed spot on. I liked where you took this prompt. Good job!

Reply

23:59 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny ๐ŸŒผ
16:20 Aug 12, 2020

Wow Aerin. This was a really cool story.

Reply

16:21 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.