Misguided Bravado

Submitted into Contest #135 in response to: Write a story where fortune doesn’t favor the brave.... view prompt

16 comments

Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

[This account contains sensitive content in the form of mental health issues and physical violence.] 


      “Breakfast! Breakfast! Get up for breakfast!” The familiar voices of hospital staff echoed down the hallways as heavy metal doors to the mental patients' rooms were opened, then noisily closed, and the unfortunates were roused for the morning meal. Mike frequently woke up dreading the day ahead. He had been hospitalized for three years and episodically was besought by an existential anxiety he believed could only be resolved by one course of action. Today he was determined to carry through with that action again despite the consequences. He was determined, but, as usual, he was panicky. He felt once more that if he didn’t do it, there’d be chicken-shit consequences, that he would die, or that the world would end. 

           The patients slowly moved down the corridors, some still groggy, others disheveled. Some doing the Thorazine shuffle, others a Haldol-induced unsteady ambulation. All doubtlessly on some form or other of medication, because they were legally required to take them—unless the mentally-ill detainee was slyly getting past obligatory mouth checks with meds tucked away in a cheek. 

           Mike was on an injectable anti-psychotic, so no intrusive swabs of the tongue and gums with a wooden tongue depressor for him. The newer pharmaceuticals were supposedly more effective and had fewer side-effects. His state-mandated drug, however, was raising his level of prolactin, a hormone that could lead to the development of male breasts. He wasn’t too happy about this, and it was part of the reason why he was anxious. Anxious and sad about being a mental patient and being separated from his family and other loved ones, particularly girlfriends. Anxious and angry at having to live in close quarters amongst many people he sometimes didn’t trust and most of the time didn’t like.

           Mike already had in mind the person he was going to do it to. It was one of the patients he had little compassion for, despite their being in the same god-awful situation. This morning, Mike’s chosen victim was a Confederacy-sympathizing white-boy he took to be another Citadel loser—the kind who brought political issues more typical of jail inmates into state mental hospitals. Citadel was the name of the forensic hospital where they were patients.  Its psychiatric detainees had either been found incompetent for court or declared not guilty by reason of insanity. Mike was in the latter situation, and he was doing an indeterminate sentence, waiting to be declared sane enough to return home. 

        Mike had chosen the Confederate boy—not really a boy, but a young adult, most likely in his early to mid-twenties—because he had arrived at the hospital wearing cowboy boots and had already kicked another patient, Crazy Carlos, with them. Mike was on good terms with Crazy and felt indignant not only that Crazy had been attacked, but that Matthew Mullen—the Confederate—had been allowed to keep his boots. Mike figured there’d soon be another target of Mullen’s booted madness. Given the everyday uncertainty of life in a mental hospital, Mike feared he himself could be the next victim.

            Mullen frequently ranted in a melodic language only he knew the significance of. “Doo-whoppers in the do,” Mullen would say—to no one in particular, “Doo-whoppers in the dough. All wetbacks and jigaboos got to go.”  Mullen was crazy, like all of the patients in one way or another were. He was a vulgar cowboy poet who would frequently sing and play guitar to songs he had composed, but his racially insensitive jabs got to Mike, who was as white as Mullen was. Due to Mike’s own unfortunately unkind encounters with police, however, he felt a solidarity with most of the patients of color.

             As a result of his Southern white boy prejudice, Mullen's attack on Carlos had been accompanied by the use of the epithet, “wetback.” To be precise, Mullen had repeatedly yelled, “Attack! Attack! Attack the wetback,” as he had assaulted Crazy with his worn snakeskin boots. Mike was white, but he was also Hispanic, and because he had Mexican kin, he had taken offense at Mullen’s gross insensitivity. But what got to Mike more than Mullen’s voiced dislike of Mexican immigrants was his disdain for blacks. In particular, Mike was rankled by the way Mullen called an inoffensive pudgy black kid who would compose hip-hop beats on a hospital keyboard, “sickle-cell Samuel.” It was this collection of circumstances that made Mike feel compelled to act out this morning. 

             Mike slowly advanced along the chow hall line about fifteen patients behind Mullen. This would give the intended victim plenty of time to find a seat before Mike was served his morning meal. The breakfast tray consisted of waffles and sausage, cartons of orange juice and milk, and, most importantly, hot cream of wheat and even hotter coffee. 

            Mike felt his anxiety mount as he placed the last items on his tray and left the queue. He spotted Mullen sitting at one of the chow hall’s square tables with three other patients. Mullen’s back was to a wall, and Mike chose a route that would allow him to stop and stand directly behind his victim. Once he was in position, Mike’s tray felt light in his heavy hands. 

            “Matthew Mullen, Matthew Mullen, red-neck punk whose face is swollen,” Mike yelled the instant before he raised the hard plastic tray as high as he could and then swiftly brought it and all its contents down onto the unsuspecting Confederate boy’s head, continuing to scream as he did so, to increase the intimidation factor.

           Matthew didn’t fall to the ground, as other of Mike’s victims had. Mullen stood and found a place against the wall. Mike assailed him, fists flying in a flurry, but none of them squarely landing. The young black keyboardist, Samuel, was aglow with admiration. Mike didn’t stop his attack until he and Mullen were separated by intervening psychiatric technicians—formerly called orderlies.

            As they were prone to, when Mike had his episodes, things took a turn for the worse when hospital staff got involved. He regarded them with as much animosity as the patients for whom he felt contempt. Mike turned his fabricated rage against the psych-techs until they were forced to wrestle him to the ground. Once prostate, Mike would attempt spitting at them until a spit mask was brought and placed on his head. He resisted, aggressively wiggled and kicked as they carried him to a side room. Mike continued to lash out the best he could as they fastened him to a metal-frame bed, restraints tied in place. Once bound, he cursed and inveighed against his oppressors until a nurse came in with a sedative shot.

            Mike had a crush on this morning’s attending R.N. She returned his flirtations and would usually have something humorous to say to him during his breakdowns. Today, immediately after she jammed the syringe’s needle into his quadricep, she sarcastically, but gently, uttered the words “Don’t cry” close to his ear.  But Mike’s tears were already welling up, from frustration, from sadness, from misguided bravado.  

March 05, 2022 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Sharon Hancock
02:05 Mar 16, 2022

You convey the anxiety Mike feels very well. When reading this as “just a story(fiction), “ I think it’s fair to say most people probably think the guy deserved to get whacked in the head with a tray. But, I see how that could be problematic in real life. Also…sounds like a great breakfast went to waste there. I enjoy your writing, so I hope you keep submitting stories! 😻

Reply

Mike Panasitti
20:04 Mar 16, 2022

Sharon, thanks for your comment. The ironic thing is that I think that other types of people deserve getting whacked in the head these days... And, yes, it was one of the better breakfasts served at the hospital.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Pelepko
14:25 Mar 10, 2022

Hey Mike: First, thank you for reading my story and for your positive comments about my writing... Second: Your story is an insightful one about the condition of the mentally ill in our country... Have you ever read "No One Cares About Crazy People" by Ron Powers? An honored journalist, Powers is the father of two sons with severe mental illness, one a brilliant musician who sadly committed suicide... If you couldn't tell from my story "Believe Your Lady" - I was once a registered nurse who spent 23 years at the bedside with "the sick and d...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
18:43 Mar 10, 2022

Michael, I will look up the book by Powers. Thanks for the reference. Also, your depiction of a nurse's vocational woes did make me suspect you were close and personal with the profession. One thing I forgot to mention: the wordplay between the racehorse's name and the predicament between wife and husband was brilliant. Take care and I look forward to reading more of your submissions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
DIANE Hunter
01:07 Mar 09, 2022

I agree.... a pantheon of characters that deserve their own story.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
19:10 Mar 09, 2022

I wish I had the kind of literary brilliance it takes to develop a pantheon of characters. As a result of a lack of writerly abilities, however, I must stick to the much more limited memoir-- rather than novel--form.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:26 Mar 08, 2022

What a gritty, visceral read, Mike. Brimming with humanity, you show a pantheon of characters who could inhabit their own novel. You have a great writing style -- compelling, kinesthetic, vivid. I look forward to reading more from you!

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:00 Mar 08, 2022

Deidra, thanks for your like. I don't think a first-time contributor could have received as encouraging a comment from a seasoned one as you gave me. It gives me hope--a state of mind, heart and spirit I'd like others to vicariously experience by means of reading the events I write about. Thank you, again.

Reply

15:10 Mar 08, 2022

You have a lot of talent. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
13:32 Jan 04, 2023

Oopsie. I didn't see email on bio. I need permission to use you as phone call character in part 2 of chicken story. I'll send you a proof for approval. tpgoround@gmail.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Drizzt Donovan
13:07 Dec 15, 2023

You have my applause. Cool. I got the emotions deeply.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:32 Dec 16, 2023

The emotions conjured by the actions described here were felt deeply, too. I'm grateful to be in a much better place now. Thanks for reading, Drizzt.

Reply

Drizzt Donovan
15:12 Dec 17, 2023

You’re welcome. Writing anything at the moment?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:09 Dec 18, 2023

Not at the moment, Drizzt. I’ve been working on poetry and coursework for a creative writing degree. I might post a piece or two during winter break.

Reply

Drizzt Donovan
10:49 Jan 10, 2024

You’re studying for a creative writing degree? That’s brilliant. A four year degree? What is the coursework like?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
16:55 Jan 15, 2024

Drizzt, it's actually a 2-year associate's degree. I've yet to decide whether I want to apply to, or can afford the cost of, an MFA program.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.