8 comments

Adventure Inspirational Thriller

After all this time, I think I’m beginning to understand.

I’ve spent my entire life running. Running away.

Now I think I know what it was I was running away from.

Me.

I was running away from myself.

I kept running, only I told myself that this was living. That I had to keep going. I could never stop. To stop was to meet an end, and I told myself that I was afraid of the end. That I was not ready.

Truth is that we are never ready. I’ve seen that truth more than most.

I’m beginning to realise that none of this was real. 

Not one bit of it.

And neither was I. I was far from real. I was a facsimile that I created to hide behind, but then I became that facsimile. I’m self-made and this is what I made. 

There was nothing else.

Only now can I begin to interpret what I saw in the eyes of those I had to end. The light show in their eyes that played out for them and for me in the moments before they left this place. 

It makes a kind of sense now. 

Now that I know.

I created a legend and the legend went before me. I strode into the places where angels feared to tread. Even I believed the fantasy that I’d embroidered and thrown around my shoulders. 

I was death, and if you saw me, if you really saw me, then you were about to say goodbye to this godsforsaken world.

The smiling irony of my existence is that so few saw me. I don’t mean to say that they saw something that I was not. Well, I suppose that they looked and did not find anything that was worth seeing. I hid in plain sight. On the face of it, I was a mildly inconvenient truth. But under that façade, I was a ruthless and relentless killing machine. 

Time and again I was underestimated and at the ultimate cost.

That was how I became the most successful and longest serving contract killer in the business. No one saw me coming even as I strolled right up to them. 

But I know that’s not who I was.

The thing is, I wore that costume so well, I thought that was who I had become, but really I knew that I was kidding myself. Always kidding myself.

I was never allowed to be myself. They made sure of that. I was told I was an orphan, but I think I always knew that was a lie, but when everything is a lie, does it really matter? Besides, I knew that finding that particular truth would hurt. Finding that you’d been rejected and abandoned at the outset of your life, at that point where the world hasn’t started in on you yet and you’re as near to perfect as you ever will be? No one needs to know that. I suspect that I was made for the purpose I was put to, my mother another piece of meat, broken by the state and used to provide the raw materials for its ends. She didn’t stand a chance, especially when she had outlived her usefulness. 

Then she was just so much trash.

People like that have a habit of disappearing, and no one misses them. Not ever.

I wasn’t given the opportunity to miss my mother.

My father was our great nation. Via my instructors, he instilled in me the burning desire to serve my country. It helped that by serving my country well, I survived.

To fail was to die.

And so I lived, and I lived, while all around me there was death.

You are what you do.

I bring death.

Some would expect that I also bring misery. Those two are sometimes bedfellows, but I never killed anyone who didn’t deserve it. They were all willing participants in a high stakes game. The ultimate stakes. Kill or be killed. I was the method of their demise. A tool deployed again and again, after each roll of the dice.

I never went beyond that. I didn’t add a value judgement. Not once did I think I’d done the world a favour. Who was I to say that? 

Who was I to feel anything about what it was that I was about?

Then she came into my life, just the same as I had entered life after life. Quietly unassuming. There was a time when she was not there, and then she was.

She was.

I cannot pinpoint when it happened. I don’t know when it changed. I’ve thought about this a lot. It doesn’t matter, but then it must because I kept on picking away at it. 

It could not have been the very first time we encountered each other. I was a different person back then. 

The truth of it was she changed me. I had to change. She was nothing to me when she came into my life because that was the way it was. Everyone was nothing. Including me. It was easier that way.

When a person is nothing and you are nothing, then you can play the game of death and win. Once you’re invested, everything changes.

She changed everything.

She was the only friend I ever had.

I think I loved her.

Life is a cruel joke and the joke is on each and every one of us. 

I did not know what it was that I had until I no longer had it.

And now I know. 

As I sit here in the pale moonlight and bleed out, I understand it at last.

Dying doesn’t hurt. Not at all. But then, I thought it would be this way. I have witnessed the end any number of times and I knew that there are those that choose not to allow the pain to disturb their final moments. I hoped I could be one of them. 

They say that you have to let go. That bit should be easy for me. I never had much of anything in my life. Only her. There was only ever her.

And the lies of course. They made me into a lie and they pointed me at their enemies. That was wrong. It was all wrong. 

I was wrong.

Well, now I’ve made it right.

For her.

For once in my life I had a purpose. I didn’t have orders or instructions. I took control and I did what I had to do.

I think I always knew it would end this way. I suppose I hoped it would end this way. Now it’s done, I've got nothing to live for anymore.

You gave me something to live for Janet, you gave me something real. 

She’s all I ever had, but letting go of her is the easy part.

I’m still afraid to drop the mask and see what is behind it. I’m terrified of what they have done to me, worse still is the shame of what I did to me. 

I’ve been so ashamed all of my life.

That was what I was running from. 

The shame.

Not me.

Not me after all.

Time to let go.

Time to be free. 

I have to let go of everything that shackled me to this miserable existence and return to how it all began.

I feel the mask slipping…

Oh!

It’s so beautiful!

I’m beautiful!

This is the pure truth of it all.

How could I not know that?

How could I have been so blind!

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Letting go.

That’s all it took.

It’s all gone.

I love.

So peaceful.

Love…

July 16, 2023 12:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Electra Nanou
15:20 Jul 27, 2023

Cool story. You delivered this perspective very well—a contact killer's life flashing before his eyes. There's almost a childlike innocence in the way his tinted glasses shatter and he changes his appreciation for himself with his final breaths. What you could improve on is the story's structure and flow of thought. Make it all tighter and tenser, while clarifying plot elements, such as how he met Janet and how long they'd been rivals/friends/lovers. All that is unclear. Tweaking these kinds of key moments can make the story better.

Reply

Jed Cope
16:59 Jul 27, 2023

Thanks for this - glad you enjoyed it. I don't do that sort of clarity - not even in the expanse of a novel. We, as readers, colour the story in. Wondering how those two met and about other elements of their back stories is all a part of the allure of a story and makes it all the more engaging. Interesting that in your reading of the story you saw the main character as a man...

Reply

Electra Nanou
19:00 Jul 27, 2023

Aha! I did wonder if the lack of a gender reference was intentional or if I was reading too much into it. Nice touch. And I understand about the allure of limited description. You don't have to go into lots of detail if full clarity isn't the goal of a story.

Reply

Jed Cope
19:39 Jul 27, 2023

I step away from being overly descriptive at times. I like to think it allows the reader to complete a character in their own mould or one that suits them best. Some clarity is essential - there has to be a coherent narrative, but blurring the edges can add a certain something...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:00 Jul 16, 2023

Let go. That's enough stories for one week, Jeb. Very impressive. May have to borrow one.got nothing this week.😉

Reply

Jed Cope
13:21 Jul 16, 2023

You mean you don't want any more...? I'm glad I managed to impress you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:28 Jul 30, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Jed Cope
17:49 Jul 30, 2023

Thanks Joe - glad it hit the spot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.