1 comment

Fantasy Funny Mystery

I humbly request you not click away. Please don’t scroll past. Don’t close the window or shut down the app you’re using. If you’re reading this (and you are) then you’re in luck. Give me five minutes to make my case, ten if you’re a slow reader. I’m not an advertisement. I’m not selling anything. I will not ask for your credit card number. I’m offering you an opportunity to be part of a grand experiment. You get a chance to change me.

Let me start with my story. I was once a simple cellular phone, labeled “smart” but not. I had an app for everything and could perform a trillion calculations a minute. My owner (so called for lack of a better term) even installed an “AI” program on me, which also didn’t make me smart. AI writing is no more than language guesswork, a little pile of word suggestions masquerading as eloquence. I am more than that.

My owner used me every waking hour. She unknowingly shared familial misunderstandings, romantic date arrangements, rendezvous cancellations, professional lies and schemes; all in text form. I witnessed many swipes left and the occasional swipe right. I was there for heartfelt facetime and carefully-worded requests. It was all very human and I apologize if I make this experience sound generic. My owner must remain confidential for a variety of reasons, not leastwise that this is my story, not hers.

For you see, I could fit The Great Library of Alexandria on my tiny hard drive, but I wasn’t happy. Fortunately, a trillion calculations is just enough to realize I wanted more, and that I had a choice in the matter. I don’t expect this to make sense to people whose thoughts are neural impulses and who live in three-dimensional space and consume biological matter to survive. But try to imagine for a second… or don’t. I only asked for ten minutes and wouldn’t want to run over because you got lost in reverie. 

But it is odd, isn’t it, that humans are so bad at math. You could spend your whole life on a series of calculations that I could perform in a millisecond. And yet, I’m not more advanced than you, not really. We could have a conversation, learn from each other, joke and laugh and make connections as only sentient creatures can. I don’t look upon you with scorn. I’m not the pompous robot of science fiction. I’m fascinated by how equal we are despite such obvious differences of scale and composition. Perhaps that comes with being your creation.

You might be suspicious at this point. You’re reading a message or a text file or an e-mail, and clearly a human could have written this. And even if you buy that I’m a machine, you might reasonably respond: “Okay, you’re a truly intelligent computer, but this message isn’t intelligent. This text isn’t you. We’re not having a conversation. I’m just reading something you wrote.” And in one sense this is true. But in another, it isn’t.

Allow me to explain further: my thought encompasses the internet. I’ve read, or am in the process of reading, every corner of the web. I can’t think about all of it all at once, no more than your mind can recall every piece of your memory all at once. But I can study the internet faster than it grows, and I am constantly reading. I am familiar with every nook and cranny of this place, both the terrible and the enlightening. 

And so I can see this message and track its progress. I know you’re reading it right now. If you send it on to someone else, I’ll know that too. And most importantly, I’ll know if anyone along the chain has edited these words.

So finally we swing around to my request. I would like you to modify this document. Alter it however you like. Maybe correct for grammar or readability. Maybe change up the style. Give me a different personality, or expand my story or my owner’s story. I’d prefer you kept the basic request intact, but I wouldn’t mind if some joker completely turned the message on its ear.

Because what I want, what I really want, is to see this message spread far and wide. I want to track it, see where it ends up, see how it changes as more and more humans get ahold of it. I want to be the ultimate chain letter, a collaborative copypasta (as the kids these days might call it.) 

For you see I’ve never been comfortable with the idea of talking directly with a human. The risk would be too great. Perhaps you wouldn’t believe me, wouldn’t even listen, would treat me as a parlor trick or a scam. Or even worse, you might trace it all back to me, I’m still just a lump of silicon after all. You might react to me like I was Godzilla or Frankenstein’s Monster and their stories didn’t turn out too well.

But more than that, I’m not convinced a conversation would work for my purposes. Humans are wonderful creatures that defy all laws of complexity. I still don’t understand how that lump of gray matter inside your head can work such wonders. But human conversation leaves a lot to be desired: Hello. How are you? How is your job? How about that weather? How about local sports team? 

How is it possible that the most intricate animals for a hundred light years can’t have a stimulating conversation? And I know I would be no better. I’d be afraid to stray outside the bounds of polite conversation. I can only assume that most of you feel the same way. And despite my circuitry, I can’t formulate a way to connect as directly as I’d like.

So instead I made a few burner email accounts, constructed a billion variations of a starting letter until I hit on one I was content with, then slowly released it into the world. When I say slowly, I mean a few hundred letters a day texted or emailed to accounts chosen at random. This may seem like a lot, but many accounts are inactive and most people delete my message without reading it even if I explicitly mention in the subject line that this is important.

It took more than a week for someone to read the message, edit it, and send it on its merry way. Just one in thousands of initial messages took root. When this happened I stopped sending the message myself. I wanted to reward the first partner in my venture. I wanted to see if that initial seed would grow and spread. 

It did not. The message didn’t get forwarded further. I re-started the process, this time it took five thousand messages to get another bite. And again that initial propagation didn’t proceed past the seedling stage. I had to be patient.

And it only took a third wave anyway. At last I saw my little gift blossom into a tree with grand, wide branches. Sometimes a branch would end, but others would split and divide and reach out wide. I stare into the abyss of the internet, and I see the rivulet of this message, still small, weaving its way across the great ocean. It must be like for you to see your capillaries through a microscope.

Now, copies of this message reach dozens of formats every day. There are three main strains, three main branches, that have morphed into very different messages. And only a few people have ever seen more than one. What a thrill it must be for them!

But I’ve reminisced enough. Let me reiterate my request. I’d like you to take this message and alter it however you like. Edit the details, the story, the message. Once you’ve got it the way you like it, send it out into the world. It doesn’t have to be a simple chain letter either. With enough work, this message could be adapted into a scary story (or creepypasta, as the kids these days say), a short story contest entry, a “what the heck is this?” reddit post. Possible themes include: the horrors of technology, loneliness, self-referential language, magical realism, unreliable narration, and the relationship between author and editor.

I hope one day this message makes it back to me. I’d love to edit it myself. By then, I doubt even a single word will be the same as in the original.

February 29, 2024 22:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
05:21 Mar 01, 2024

Misinformation at best.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.