A Light in the Dark Part Thirty: A Selfie to Win Them All!

Written in response to: Begin or end your story with a character taking a selfie.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Horror

Uncle Mike and Lucifer shifted uncomfortably next to me, the library had requested our assistance again. An increase of rotting souls and demons had surrounded the place, pride glistening in my eyes at their request for my assistance. Smoothing out my soft emerald dress, the wool felt cozy. The dress clung to my bump, the thing doubling to a noticeable size in record time. Staring out the window of the library, our looks of disdain matched to a tee. Wondering what had drawn them here, a glowing gem caught my eyes. Spinning on my heels, I sauntered up to the glass. Typing in the code, the blood diamond plopped into my palm. Damn, this thing was heavy. Dropping it into the cursed pouch next to it, the recognition of my royal blood canceled its protection spell. Tying it to my waist, their protests fell on deaf ears as I opened the window. Placing my hands on my hips, a plan had been formulated. 

“Follow me to the canyons of magma. We can lose half of them there. We are going to destroy this.” I explained with a devilish grin, sniffing the bag. Arguing with each other, a snap of my fingers getting their attention. Waving as I jumped off the ledge, freedom glistened in my eyes as I unfolded my wings. Stabilizing myself, the hot wind carried me in the right direction. Matching wings burst from their backs, my father’s onyx velvet suit fluttered in the wind. Appearing next to me, our targets began to follow us. Uncle Mike’s steel gray simple suit danced in the breeze as he pulled up next to me. 

“Since that gem has caused nothing but trouble, I say that we get rid of it as well.” He chuckled heartily, his hair blocking his view. “Don’t you agree?" My old man’s shoulder shrugged as he agreed with a thumbs up, his eyes lingering on my bump. A dark energy gave us pause, my heart sinking at the sight of the Dark One’s energy devouring everything in its path. Skidding to stop, the magma was a few hundred feet from us. Tearing the pouch off of my waist, black energy built around my feet. Waiting patiently for the right amount of power, a kick released the energy. Hot air licked my skin the closer I got to the magma, an obscene amount of sweat pouring down my face. Dropping it into the magma, the Dark One smashed into my body. Lucifer cried out with a frightened face, a blast of onyx air knocking him back. Kicking at the air until my fingers dug into the edge of the other side. Struggling to pull myself, the Dark One climbing like a monkey. Yelping with a nervous grin, my claws extended to allow me the grip to pull myself up. Rolling onto my back, the voice in my head told me to move. Glancing over at my uncle and father, they were banging on an invisible wall. Begging for me to come back, three vials of God’s blood rolled into my palm. Dumping them onto my scythe, a soft glow announced the blood sinking into the blade of my scythe. A battle cry had me rolling out of the way, a steady stream of curse words flooding from my lips. Stabbing the dirt around me, a swift kick sent him flying into the sky-. Popping to my feet, my scythe picking up speed with every spin over my head. Black energy built around the tip, blood pouring from my nose. Swinging it in his direction, sparks danced in the air the moment our blades clashed. A blast of energy smashed me into a rock, whimpers escaping my lips as I slid onto an onyx surface, the effect of his attack hitting me. Coughing up blood, a couple of my organs had burst. Hovering my hand over my bump, the heartbeat was still strong. Sighing with relief, his boots pounded towards me. Whistling sharply, Boomer leapt from behind the rock. Scooping me up, a healing potion glimmered in his mouth. Tossing it back to me, the cork flew through the air. Gulping down the milky liquid, a grimace haunted my expression as organs weaved themselves back together. Sprinting away from the Dark One, his paws breaking rock after rock. My hair flew back as his back paws sent the shards in his direction. Spinning around towards the Dark One, a loud bark falling on deaf ears the moment I flipped off of his back. Kicking up a cloud of dirt, his shadowy form became clearer. Inky flames danced up my arm, his wicked grin meeting mine as our eyes locked. Flicking my scythe in his direction, his cocky ass got hit with purified flames. Howling in pain, my boots pounded towards him. Swinging his blade blindly, dirt crunched the moment I slid underneath it. Ripping him to the dirt with my free hand, his body gave out a dull thud as his head hit my boot. Raising my boot over his head, a loud fuck escaped my lips at him sinking into a sea of shadows. My trouble wasn’t over yet, a nightmare snake bursting from the ground beneath his feet. Neon green scales clashed with silver ones, inky eyes glaring down at me. The thin tongue flickered with its mean hiss, the same wall blocked my old man and uncle. Cursing under my breath, the wall was this monster’s doing. Bright green venom dissolved the rock at my feet, the smoke curling up reeking like sulfur. Clammy sweat drenched my skin, a wave of nausea wracked my stomach. Not now! Swaying slightly, the fumes were getting to me. The sound of a car accident squealed around me, the landscape glitching to the night of the accident. The rotting corpse of my aunt sat on the flipped car, maggots hitting the metal. Fixing her stern bun, her bony fingers shimmered in the moonlight. Stumbling back, my uncle appeared behind me with a bow and arrow. His soul had decayed faster than hers, the yellowed skull was all that remained of his face. Every breath grew shorter, the venom taking me to a dark space. A storm rumbled to life, heavy raindrops soaking me to my bones. None of this was real! None of this was real! Raising my scythe over my head, I had to break this damn thing’s hold on me. Slamming the tip into the concrete, the edges of this dimension began to fray. Swinging it over and over again, a cold voice stopped me. A fuming Matty marched to me, his hand pinning me to the car. Glass crunched underneath his boots, a sadistic grin lingering on his lips. 

“You took my mother away from me so I will take what is yours!” He roared thunderously into my face, violent sobs wracking my body. Raising his fist in the air, a loud stop had us snapping our heads to the left. The real Matty huffed with the head of the nightmare snake in his hand, the dark form of him glitching out. 

“Is that how you think I feel?” He joked lightly, his eyes scanning the scene. “I forgot how bad the accident was. Are you okay?” Unable to contain it anymore, I leaned over to throw up the contents of my stomach. Splattering onto the street, his free hand holding back my hair. Throwing the head to the side, the rain began to soak him. Regretting what the rain was, the drops darkened to a muddy brown as the scene dissolved. Apologizing for the mess, his damage was worse than mine. Thousands of pieces of meat littered the black rock, my trembling hand wiping the vomit from the corner of my lips. Sinking to my knees, the emotion mixed with the morning sickness, Matty crouching down to my level. 

“Your father got me and said that the venom had you in a trance.” He informed me with his crooked smile, my breathing returning to normal. “That was your first time, huh? It took me to some wicked places myself.” Helping me to my feet, Lucifer smashed into me. Burying me into a bear hug, he refused to let me go. Emotions soaked the top of my head, his words blurring into one. Gripping his coat, exhaustion weighed down on my eyelids. A rough darkness stole me away, Matty’s words being the last thing I heard. 

Stirring awake, the walls of our bedroom at home greeted me. One of Matty’s t-shirts swallowed me whole, braided pigtails tickled my cheeks. Death came in with a tray of tea, an apologetic smile doing little to ease my panic at the time on the clock. Attempting to rush out of bed, her hand held me down. 

“Matty said that you needed a day off. I think I agree. You look like Hell, kid.” She explained with her natural smile, her steady hand passed me a cup of tea. Her maternity blouse hugged her bump, the pants emphasized her bump as well. Setting the tray on the table, Lucifer pushed the door open. A tray of cookies hung underneath his arm, Uncle Mike coming in with a bouquet of white lilies. Guilt ate at me, my expression betraying my attempt to hide it from everyone. Random weeps wracked my body, my hormones mixing with my desire to be by Matty’s side. Lucifer plopped down next to me, his arms clutching me close to his chest. The ruby silk of his suit soaked up my tears, Uncle Mike choosing to hover at the end of the bed. 

“We are here to take care of you today.” He promised me sweetly, a tender blush rising to my cheeks. “Those hormones are really confusing you, aren’t they? Your mother was the same way.” Releasing me, a distant look had me cupping his hands. Grumbling myself, I didn’t have a choice. Fretting over me, the whole thing was getting old. Losing my patience by the second, a loud fuck burst from my lips. An eerie silence came over everyone, an annoyed sorry leaving my lips. 

“Let’s go to the diner and then we can visit Matty.” I spat irritability, everyone agreeing with nods. Leaving me on my own, Selene crying had me ripping off the t-shirt. Tugging on a ruby sweatshirt dress, the soft material hugged my bump. Derrick would break up the boring day, I needed to get out of bed. Struggling to yank my socks onto my feet, Felix knocked on the door. Noticing my dilemma, his steady hands put them on for me. Averting my gaze to the floor, his next question threw me off.

“Can I come? I don’t have anything today so I thought I could steal you away for myself.” He begged with puppy dog eyes, a devious grin dancing across my lips. Popping to my feet, I slid my feet into my beat up sneakers. Hooking my elbow around his, I announced an emergency came up while plucking Selene into arms. Her bat dress stole my heart away, Felix whisking us away to the diner in the realm of the reapers. Fussing with the big skirt, her chunky legs kicked away as I placed her on my lap. Tears welled up in my eyes at how big she had grown, her ivory waves dancing by her shoulder. Playing with a napkin, Felix looked a little bit stressed. 

“What is eating you?” I queried with a tired smile, feeling the ache in my muscles. “Did you remember my scythe?” Grabbing it out of nowhere, his eyes watched me place it next to me. Drumming his fingers on the table, the words refused to leave his lips. Breathing out slowly, a panic attack had his breathing growing shorter. Violent sobs wracked his body, his hand reaching for mine. 

“Bella left me this morning. She said that she couldn’t date me!” He blurted out through a wall of tears, my lips pressing into a thin line. Motioning for him to stand up, a trip to Ireland was in order. Using the newest transportation spell that my father had taught me, onyx ribbons whisked us away to the bar in the forest. Rushing up to the bar as I tucked Selene into a summoned sling, his head shook as I inquired about Bella’s presence. Felix clung to my arm, nothing making sense about this. Crashing into the forest, my friend needed help. Branches scratched my face, every creature not helping me in the slightest. Seconds from pulling out my hair, a banshee wail had my back straightening. Several blocked our path, Felix stepping back with a fear ridden face. Letting out a huff, another inconvenience was getting in my way. 

“I have this." I promised him, dropping Selene into his arms. “Keep her safe, ‘kay!” Charging at them, God’s blood glittered on my blade. A black ball swirled to life at the end of my scythe, the old hags charging at me. Banshees were no more than Irish rotten souls, a couple of swings taking them down. Felix called for help, a hundred had circled him. Seconds from beginning another attack, horse hooves galloped in the distance. Mary leapt over our head, her scythe taking them all out. Jumping off of her horse, her head snapped in the direction of Felix. 

“I told you to let me go. I am not worth loving.” She protested through a wall of tears, my arms accepting Selene from Felix. His ears burned bright, his arms curling around her waist. Holding her until the protests stopped, he took her head. Kissing her lips tenderly, her body collapsed into his arms. A scarlet blush rose to their cheeks, a soft smile returning to my lips. Lucifer appeared in the bushes, my finger pressing against my lips. Understanding with a matching smile to mine, true love was in the air. 

“I don’t care that you have to carry your head around. Jesus Christ!” Felix professed while kissing the top of her head. “People like you only come once in a lifetime and you are my once in a lifetime. I may look young but I will be around as long as you.” Kissing his lips passionately, her body arched towards his. Throwing him onto her horse, they galloped into the setting sun. Fixing my hair, a single hand motion told Lucifer to come out. Joining my side, his arms scooped up Selene. 

“Look at you helping everyone out. How about we head back before Matty gets home? We promised him that you would stay home.” He pointed out with a nervous grin, Selene giggling at his funny faces. Allowing him to whisk me home, I leapt onto the couch. Kicking off my shoes, my toes working to peel off my socks. Tossing a blanket over me, Matty walked through the door as he set my scythe against the wall with his magic. Pretending to lay down on the couch, Matty leaned over me. 

“Nice try. You smell like the woods of Ireland.” He teased playfully, his finger tickling Selene’s belly. “Felix showed up at my deli looking to feed Bella just as we finished the prep work for tomorrow. Normally I would be mad but people took care of you. Do you want the sandwich you have been craving? I doubt you ate today.” A loud growl from my stomach answered his question, his ponytail bouncing as he crashed onto the couch with a paper bag in his hand. Helping me sit up, his crooked grin had my heart fluttering. Smothering me with feverish kisses, my thighs rubbed together. Resting his hand on my thigh, his hot breath bathed my neck. 

“Eat first and then we play, Lily.” He promised with a sly grin, my thighs rubbing together some more. “Be a good girl.” Biting my lips, he knew those were fighting words. Lucifer watched with a crooked grin, a wink causing Matty to growl in his direction. Pulling out my cell phone, I yanked them both close to me. Snapping a couple of selfies, the perfect pictures had Lucifer gushing with an even bigger smile than mine. 

“Send me those so I can hang them on the wall.” He chuckled lightly, watching me send them to the phone I bought him. “Mike is going to be so pissed.” A blast of energy had our hair floating up at Mike appearing behind him with a cruel grin. Getting on my knees, my arms draped around Uncle Mike’s shoulder. Snapping a couple of pictures, Lucifer huffed in annoyance. Jealousy glittered in his eyes, my other arm pulling him close. Taking a couple more selfies with the both of them, the pictures satisfied them both. Sending them the pictures, excited grins illuminated their features. Plopping down next to Matty, he asked to hold Selene. Passing her down to him, he plopped her onto his lap as Matty turned on the television. Unwrapping my tuna fish and peanut butter sandwich, a curious look twinkled in his eyes as I devoured the salty and sweet treat. Eating it with a big grin, Matty couldn’t have looked prouder of himself. Finishing up, he popped a mint into my mouth. Laying my head on his lap, his fingers played with my hair. Being surrounded by family reminded me of the days with my parents, silent tears soaking his pant leg. Matty glanced down at me, his arms clutching me close to his chest. Resting his chin on my head, his hand rubbed my back. 

“I wish they were here too. They would love this.” He whispered dejectedly into my ear, his lips brushing against my cheeks. “They are resting in Heaven, right?” Nodding my head once, he buried my head into his shoulder. Exhaustion weighed on my eyelids, the sound of the television bringing me closer to a sweet slumber. Her arms swept me away, Matty’s words being the last thing I heard.

April 05, 2024 16:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.