1 comment

Mystery Thriller Adventure

When I had initially gotten the invitation to my best friend’s engagement party I was overjoyed. Elise and Andrew had been good friends all through our childhood and dated in college. I was about to bubble in the “Yes” space on the card, until I saw the location. It was Andrew’s vacation cabin just behind the mountains. I loved Andrew’s cabin, but the mountains always frightened me. I tell most people it's a fear of heights. Though not completely a lie, I really always get a bad feeling there. Sure it’s a great ski spot that I do use every now and again, but there wasn’t a single time I didn’t look over my shoulder before gliding down the snow. Creatures lurk among the rocks and trees. Mad men escape into the mountains. Men disappear in the mountains and if they come back they are never quite the same in the head. I couldn’t turn Andrew down though, so I reluctantly responded yes and sent back the letter.

Week later when the time came for me to begin my travels I had to decide on my transportation. Andrew offered to give me a ride, but he was already at the cabin setting up. I couldn’t make him drive across the mountains just to go back. Grey and Mark lived closer than me to the cabin, and I didn’t want to inconvenience them either. Despite their pleas that they did not mind at all I decided just to take the bus. It was public and secure unlike I would be driving alone. I sat at the station with my orange duffel next to me. As the minutes passed more and more passengers appeared. A mother and her toddler sat on the bench next to me. The child continuously asked for snacks and toys. Without fail every time she reached into her bag to find whatever the child wished. The woman couldn’t stay still for more than a few seconds. A middle aged man rode up to the station on a bicycle. He was tan and toned and guzzled a large bottle of water while he waited. Struck me as the kind of guy who counts his calories and buys sugar free everything at the grocery store. A cautious looking girl came next. Not cautious as in meek, but like she didn’t want to draw attention. She dressed in an oversized sweater and baggy jeans. Her black glasses and pulled up hair also couldn’t help but make her seem a bit more serious and business-like. She wouldn’t meet anyone’s eye and was writing notes with a fountain pen. The last person to arrive was a young man, maybe college. From his dilly dally gait to his greetings of “How you doing?” he wreaked carefree nature. His blonde hair didn’t care either. It grew long and played in the breeze. I’m surprised he was here and not surfing in Santa Monica. He plopped down next to me and offered me a sunny smile. I offered a small smile back and turned back forward.

“How you doing today?” He looked at me expectantly.

“I’m well thank you. And you?”

“I’m living so couldn’t be better.”

It was a pleasing way to look at things. The Nimbus 9 bus pulled up and the other passengers and I boarded.

The ride was bumpy and the roads only got worse as we neared the mountains. Though, I knew compared to my Skylark this was a smoother ride. Soon the town turned to woods and rock. We had scaled a good chunk of the first mountain. I let my head lean back on the head rest. I even

 looked out the window, but then what I had dreaded most seemed to come alive. The engine made an awful sputtering noise and smoke began to mask the front windows. My heart started to quicken. My fingers wrapped around the arm rest.

“Sorry folks I ought to pull over for a bit.” The driver steered the bus onto the side of the dirt road. My body wanted to flee. Perhaps hijack the bus and try to continue driving. We could fix the bus once we got over the mountain. Yes, surely this old tin can could make it. I prayed that we wouldn’t be stuck for long.

“Well folks we are gonna be stuck here for a bit.”

I guess I wasn’t high on God’s list today. The men on the bus began filling out to see if they could help. I stood up as well. We all tried to gauge what was the matter. A man wearing corduroy pants said it was a blown head gasket. The fitness man suggested a cracked cylinder.

“I’ll call a mechanic. All you folks go ahead and get back on the bus.” The driver brought the phone to his ear.

“Wait, why don’t we try to fix it ourselves? I’m sure we can fix it up enough to get over the mountain.” Santa Monica tried to tell the driver, but he just waved him off.

“Fix it with what, the Mary Jane in your pocket? Also if we even did get the bus running again we could just get stuck again farther into the mountains.” Fitness man retorted.

“Alright, alright pops. Nevermind, just trying to contribute.” Santa Monica sat down in his seat. Soon dusk turned to dark with no sign of the repair truck.

“Where is the repair man?” The mother asked. Her child finally had fallen asleep allowing her to rest.

“I don’t know ma’am. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.” The bus driver apologized.

“So we are just going to have to sit here all night?” Corduroy pants said what I was dreading. Why didn’t the company check the bus before we left? I closed my eyes hoping that if I wished hard enough I would open them and find myself at Andrew’s cabin door.

“Look smoke!” The serious woman proclaimed. I had forgotten she was here. She was sitting in the back of the bus with a chunky laptop on her lap.

“We should go to it!” Santa Monica said standing.

“Are you mad? What if the repair truck comes and we are all gone?” Fitness man rose from his seat.

 “I second that. Also we have no idea who is in these mountains.” I quickly interjected. The thought of leaving the bus sent me into shivers. The child woke and immediately grumbled about his empty stomach.

“Maybe we should go to the smoke. Maybe they have some supplies to spare us.” The mother pleaded.

“Yes! We can get help. And I don’t know about you guys but I don’t want to stay on an old bus the whole night.” Santa Monica started walking to the bus door.

“Ugh, well hold on chap. We will come with you.” Fitness man followed. The serious woman, the mother, and the child rose to go. I, panicked by their departure, felt the need to follow as well. If they were to find a house, or even a meal, I would much rather be there than this sitting duck. The driver and the few other passengers stayed to wait for the repair man. Our group set off. The things of the night grew more predatory now that the sun turned its back. The trees loomed over us. Chittering and creaking seemed to be more pronounced. The darkness allowed them to come closer. I kept my head facing the smoke trail. My peripheral, though, picked up shapes around me causing me to quicken my pace. So much so that I bumped into fitness man.

“Oye! Watch it!” Fitness man tried not to show his startledness.

“Easy pops. The man got jitters. Cool it.” Santa Monica seemed unphased by the whole situation.

“Hey I was almost pushed to the ground. Don’t tell me to “cool it”.”

“Can we please keep going.” The mother pulled her whining child along not waiting for our response.

As we neared the smoke we heard music. It sounded like faint harmonizing voices and a string instrument. The fitness man brought his finger to his lips and ushered us behind some bushes. I peeked over the hedge to finally see this fireside choir. It was a surprisingly large group nestled into the little clearing. Men and women sat criss cross all around the fire watching intently and humming. In a circle closest to their bonfire were five women and a man. The women were singing in an unintelligible tongue while their wavy hair flew around their lower backs. With every enamoring step they took their silver and gold beads jingled adding a sweet sound to their chants. They dressed like gypsies with ethereal white dresses and colorful scarves around their waists. I then looked at the man. He seemed to be the chief sitting on a large wooden throne behind the dancing maids. He wore a white robe, clean and crisp, with a brilliant purple cotton rope around his waist. Unlike the women's jewelry his were all golden. I studied his stoic face. It was intent but also had an ease that if I didn’t stare as I did I would have missed it. That is when his eyes met mine. I blinked and he still stared at me. None of us moved and neither did he.

“He has spotted us.” The serious woman whispered.

 The chief stood from his throne. The whole tribe silenced and was still. I felt my stomach drop. “Come out from there. Come. Show yourself.” He called.

It didn’t sound demanding. It was like an invitation. We all walked through the shrubs into the clearing not even questioning our choice.

“What brings you to our gathering?” The chief smiled.

“Our bus broke down and we saw smoke from your fire. We came for help.” The mother replied. “Brothers and sisters, our fire has brought in lost souls! Arise and prepare for our nightly feast.”

The people cheered and rushed to their tents. They brought out matts and dining utensils. The dancing maids carried large steaming pots from the biggest tent. The aroma sneaked its way to my nostrils. It was a surprisingly enticing smell. The child let out an excited squeal.

“Come sit. My doves will place your mats. I’m sure you must be hungry from your travels.” He motioned for us as the dancing women placed mats for all of us and themselves. Two of them brought us bowls of soup and bread. A snowy blonde handed me my food with a sweet smile. All the other people filed into three lines to get their share from the other three women and sat in their own little groups. We ate with the bonfire still blazing and stained glass lanterns strung around the camp.

All the others eagerly slurped their soup and munched on their bread. After a few bites the fitness man spoke.

“If you could help, we could really use–.”

“Hush now. I am not interested in your material problems.” The chief said as if he were a patient mother reminding his child not to talk with his mouth full.

“But we–.” Fitness man tried again.

“Now, like I said, I'm not interested. I am only interested in your spirit’s needs.” He turned to the mother. “You are devoted to your son. You work all day everyday for him and your husband. A husband who isn’t doing as much as you. And you, the big man. You discipline yourself. You never let yourself go. You hold yourself to a high masculine level. Never backing down or straying. You, miss reserved. You aren’t shy, you just don’t show weakness to anyone. You have drive and plans I see. You seclude yourself to achieve success. You have sacrificed experiences for your plan. Next, this blonde. You are slow to wrath or epsiodes. You see everyone as a potential friend with something to say. You float through life trying to soak up as much as possible. Many people don’t understand your nature and dismiss you.”

 The serious woman and the mother were wide-eyed. Santa Monica and fitness man looked uncomfortable and shifted on their mats. Lastly, the chief looked at me.

“You are suspicious. A logical mind, but a kind one. You never accept anything as soon as you hear it. You question and mull. You are scared of things of course, but you don't let it rule over you.” He let his eyes rest on me for a moment longer.

“Come now. Relax and finish your meal.” The chief began to eat. I managed a few spoonfuls, but my bread had an off smell. The maids already finished their meal and began massaging the shoulders of me and the group. Santa Monica seemed to have no problem. Fitness man settled eventually. The two women closed their eyes and enjoyed the attention.

“We pride ourselves on taking care of the body and soul here,” said the chief.

I felt uncomfortable and stood to excuse myself. “If you don’t mind, I would like to get some rest.”

“I can show you to a tent.” The snowy blonde offered and began walking. “You didn’t eat much of your food.”

“Your chief was alarmingly accurate. I am suspicious.”

She pulled back the flap of a tent and motioned I could go in.

“If you need anything, come find me.” She placed a comforting hand on my arm. She glanced around before meeting my eyes again. “You are smart to be cautious.” She turned to leave. I was taken aback.

“Wait!”

“I can’t say anymore.”

“What is your name?” I pleaded instead. “Derora.”

And with that she left me to rest. I fell asleep surprisingly easily. When I woke I felt foggy. I rubbed my face as I drew back the tent flap. It was already in the afternoon! How did I sleep so long? I got to my feet immediately to search for the others.

I first found the mother laying on a large sunbed and pillows. A green cigarette between her fingers and a happy yet vacant expression upon her face. She stared up at the clouds. I noticed her son was nowhere to be seen.

 “Where is your child?”

“I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?”

“Nope.” Her voice showed no care. Her expression didn’t change once even while she took a drag. The smoke curled lazily just like the woman smoking it.

I next found the fitness man. He was sitting with two strange women drinking and eating. All around them were grape stems, apple chords, and crumbs. Three empty bottles laid around the fitness man's feet. He had food and wine stains all over his shirt. The women kept pushing more food and wine near him laughing at his barely intelligible speech.

I backed away from the fitness man only to hear women singing and hollering. I followed the voices to see the serious woman, dressed in the enamoring dresses the dancers were in last night. Two maids and her danced and drank with a small crowd of men cheering them on.

I heard another holler, but this time it was a man. I hastened to the owner of the holler only to trip over a pile of dead game.

“Finally decided to wake up huh?” Santa Monica was sitting on a rock with a dead fox in one hand. The other held a large stone. I scrambled to my feet.

“Did you do all this?” I stared in horror at the pile.

“Yep, turns out I have a very strong arm.” He smiled at me, but instead of a sunny feeling it had me step back.

I ran back the way I came. I did not want to be anywhere near what he had changed into. I paused by a few tents, panting.

“What do you think of your friends?” The chief was suddenly beside me. I was startled. “They–. What are–. What did you all do to them?”

“What, you don’t like it? They all have what they want now.”

“No! They are lazy, slobby, lusty, and psycho!”

“I was hoping you would see it differently. You could have had what they have too. I’m sorry brother.”

 Someone grabbed me from behind and shoved a cloth over my nose and mouth. I struggled, but I felt myself slip into darkness.

“Wake up. C’mon now, wake up.” a soft voice woke me. I opened my eyes to Derora and her gentle hands.

“What happened to me?” I felt sickly. I tried to move, but I was restrained. My body was tied to a tree. Night had fallen once more.

“Oh good you are awake. Please be quiet. I am going to help you.” Derora quickly started to untie me. Once I was untied she handed me a backpack.

“What is this?”

“Enough supplies to get you over the mountain. Now hurry.” she pushed the bag into my arms.

“Who are you people?”

“There is no time to explain and it is probably best you know less.” Derora looked panicked and pushed me into the forest.

“Wait! Come with me. I’m sure we can split the supplies.” I looked at her hopeful. Her fair skin glowed in the moonlight.

“But if I leave, who will help the others like you?”

August 30, 2024 23:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Brigid Hanes
20:32 Sep 07, 2024

Hi Ava. I was assigned to critique your story! : ) I just want to let you know I’ll be doing it by Tuesday at the latest…I’m in college for MFA and just have to finish up assignments first. I hope to get to it sooner though!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.