5 Stages of Grief

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

162 comments

General


“They’re inseparable, those two.” My mom would often say. She wasn’t wrong. 


Jess and I have been best friends since nursery school. We knew each other so well. So that’s how I know she’ll wake up. There I was, sitting at her hospital bed, clutching her hand, holding back tears. I rested my head on her stomach. C’mon, I’m better than this. Don’t cry. Don’t. Cry. I don’t remember what happened to Jess. All I know is that I’m here now, sitting at what might be her deathbed. 


“Don’t leave me... Please, I NEED you.” I softly whispered into her ear. 


Holding back tears was about the hardest thing to do. I couldn’t help myself. If I lost her, it’d feel like I lost a part of myself. I took a minute. I wiped off the tears with my shirt, letting out a strong sniff before touching her cheek and leaving the room. 


Denial: 


I walked out of that hospital room with a sense of feeling lost. 


“She can’t be dead.” I thought. 


“Whatever happened to her, I’m sure it can be treated, right?” 


It felt like I was lying to myself. For what? This is stupid. I should just come to grips with it. I was walking down the hall, looking at the floor. I froze up when her parents approached the room. Her Mom stopped to talk to me. 


“What happened to Jess? What happened to my poor baby?” She said in shock. I could see the fear in her eyes. Poor lady, she just found out. She was holding both my arms tight, looking at me right in the eye. I felt like I was put on the spot to answer.


“I-I don’t know, I was already here and--” I cut myself off. How did I get here? I don’t remember driving. I guess I rode in the EMT truck with Jess when it happened. She noticed the pause, so she continued. 


“Listen, Nick. I know this is a lot to take in. I think you need some rest, honey. I can tell this is stressing you out. You should head on home, okay? Say hi to your mom for me.” She said to me. 


“W-will do, Ms. Maheshwaran.” I said to her. I drove home feeling out of sorts. 


What happened to Jess? She’s in a coma, but from what? From who? For some reason, I felt like I knew what happened to her. I think I just needed to clear my head; my mind felt fuzzy. I opened the door to my apartment, threw the keys on the kitchen table and went to my bedroom.


As I took off my coat, I noticed an orange hue in the corner of my eye. I turned around with a quickness. It was sitting on my nightstand. What the hell is that? I wondered, as I curiously walked over to it. A pill bottle. It had Rohypnol written on it. Did someone drug me? Is that why I don’t remember anything from the past 48 hours? I started to piece together a theory. 


Anger: 


“It was her BOYFRIEND.” I said to myself. 


It made sense. I never liked that guy. He didn’t cherish her like I did, but for some reason, Jess felt obligated to stay with this asshole. He probably got her to overdose or something. Enough to knock her into a coma. What the hell is this dude’s problem? I was gonna confront him. I got in my car, and proceeded to drive to Chris’s house. I knew it for sure. He was a little bit of a druggie, so I’m not surprised that it was him. 


I got to his front porch, furious. I did two hard knocks on the door; pattering my foot, arms crossed. I shook my head in disbelief and anger. This guy BETTER have a good reason. At this point, there’s nothing stopping me from straight up killing this guy. He answered the door, looking like he just woke up. Figures. 


“So, that's your ideal Saturday, huh? Just, beat your girlfriend half to death, and go back to sleep. Job well done, you psychopath?!” I shouted at him.  


“What the hell are you talking about?” He said, confused. He was still rubbing his eyes, adjusting to the morning sun.


“Oh wow,” I slow clapped, “Bravo, bravo… Oscar worthy performance. Feel good about yourself, Ted Bundy?” 


“What happened to Jess? Is she in the hospital?” He said, lost. 


“C’mon, man. Cut the shit, I know it was you. Just come clean and I promise I’ll do the same to you that you did to Jess.” I said, stepping towards him as I was rolling up my sleeves. He raised his arms in a backing off motion. 


“Hey, what are you doing? I didn’t even KNOW Jess was in the hospital.” 


“Yeah you--” 


I had that feeling again. I touched my head, stumbling back a bit. I regained balance, and apologized to Chris. 


“S-sorry, man. I’m just out of it, today. It’s just… What happened with Jess. It was… Bad.” 


“You would know. She was with you last.” 


“WHAT? Since when?” 


“Well, you said you guys were gonna go on a hike, remember?” 


“No, not really.” 


A faded memory started to surface in my mind. I WAS with her. She was knocked unconscious, in front of me. Did I let the killer get away?


“Um,” He snapped his fingers at me, “Nick? You good.” 


The image slipped away from my mind; Chris snapped me out of it. 


“Dude, what the hell? I was starting to piece together what happened in my head!” I said, angry. 


“Sorry,” he paused, “I’m gonna check on Jess. What hospital is she at?” 


“Ask her mom, she’ll tell you.” I said. 


He frantically got in his car and drove off. I was still standing on his porch, lost. What happened on that hike? 


Depression: 


I layed in bed, staring at the ceiling. Who would do this to her? She was a light of hope in this horrible world. A whole future ahead of her; she wanted to be a nurse. Help people, take care of them. Nursing them back to recovery, making sure their families can still make memories with loved ones. She was such a sweet girl. I remember the time we were out in the woods once. We were 12. I saw a roly-poly bug, so I was gonna squash it. 


“No, don’t do that!” Jess shouted at me. I froze in my tracks. 


“What? Why not?” I curiously asked. 


“C’mon, get on outta here.” She said, as she shooed the bug away. 


"What's the big deal? It's just a bug."


"It's more than just a bug, Nick. It's a living creature."


"But it's not like," I paused, "Human or anything."


“How would you feel if someone stepped on YOU?” 


“Um, no one’s that big.” 


She laughed.


“Yeah, but imagine if you were that bug. You have a family that loves you. The bestest friend in the whole wide world!” She grinned, then continued, “Imagine you have a nice job, comfortable house, on your way back from work. And then BAM, just like that, some guy steps on you. And that’s it. Gone.” 


“Yeah, I guess I would feel really bad, huh?” 


“You’d be dead, silly.” 


It’s funny how it comes full circle. Not good funny, though. Like, sadistically, unfortunately funny. I wasn’t sad for Jess, Which was weird. I should feel for her, right? Am I grieving correctly? Does that even make sense? There’s no wrong way to grieve. I felt more sad for the person who did this. It’s like, why? Why’d you do this? 


She did nothing to you. You had no reason. She didn’t deserve this. Why does the world work this way? I hadn’t noticed that I started tearing up; I could barely see the ceiling anymore. 


Bargaining: 


I wiped them off my face and began asking for forgiveness. 


“Please, God. Help me. It should’ve been me. I know whoever did this didn’t mean it. Take that person’s life for hers.”  


But for some reason, I didn’t want that. I didn’t want that person to die in place for Jess. I felt like it would be unfair to kill someone else. I could feel for this person, and I don’t know why, but I felt connected to the killer. Maybe I knew the person? I don’t know. Or maybe it’s because Jess is my best friend and it’s easy to imagine who’d want me dead. Er, her dead. Either way, I can’t let her die in vain. Not like this. 


“I’m not asking for you to bring her back. All I’m asking for is closure. Even if it’s just for a second. Please. Just let me talk to her.” 


I knew it wasn’t gonna happen. I had to think, is this really what I wanted? Yes, it was. If it’s the last time I ever talk to her, I want her to know that I was there for her. Since the beginning. She was the only person in the world I felt really understood me. She was made for me. I wanted her. But, then she met Chris. Frickin’ Chris. It’s unfair. How could she not see that she belonged with ME?


I know I can’t change the past, but I can change the present. I should confess my feelings for her. I picked up my phone. 3 Missed calls from Jess’s mom. Crap. I called back, anxious to hear from her. 


“Nick, Jess is,” She began to cry, “S-she’s.... Just… come to the hospital.” 


I left the house, but before I went out the door, I looked at the pill bottle. Was I taking them to forget what happened to Jess? Did I know what happened? I thought about it for a second, then went out the door. 


Acceptance: 


I got to the room, and stood in the doorway, still. Why did this happen to you? I approached her. She was, almost dead. Basically only alive because of the machine. I sat down, firmly grasping her hand.


“Hey, Jess. It’s me, Nick. I know this is a bad time, but I need to tell you something that’s been on my mind.” I stared at her lifeless face; like a vessel with no inhabitant. 


“It’s just, ever since I met you, I knew you were the one for me. And I know, I know, you have a boyfriend. And that’s okay. I accept that. But, I just thought, if you’re still even the slightest bit conscious, I wanted you to know I never took our friendship for granted. I just never had you to myself. We never dated, and although I'm still hung up on it, I’ll always cherish what we did have. And for that reason, I’ll never forget you. EVER.” I said to her. 


I froze. My memory caught up to speed in that moment. What I said made something click in my head. Then it hit me. I think I figured out the reason why I wasn’t able to be sad about Jess. I told her,

"I’ll never forget you."


It’s starting to come back. The pill bottle on my nightstand, Me blaming Chris immediately, the strange feeling I had about the killer, the inability to really feel for Jess’s death; All of it’s connected. It all comes full circle. It's because I did it. 


I killed Jess.

May 31, 2020 13:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

162 comments

Pragya Rathore
13:54 Jun 01, 2020

Wow! What a big plot twist! I loved the five stages of grief idea. Keep up the good work, Daryl!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
13:55 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks! I'm reading your story now, I'll tell you what I think!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I knew something was slightly off about Nick at the beginning of the story... but hey, I relate so much to this and that's why I loved it so much. For her and I, I guess it's only been a year. I can relate to Nick because I felt like this girl really was there for me, and she was. And I was there with her everyday as well. And then she met this guy, and started dating him like instantly. And I felt third-wheeled, and I'm going through the five stages of grief, but right now I'm still stuck in the Depression stage. I really do love this story...

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:30 Jun 11, 2020

Dang. That's hard to hear, man. I hope you're okay. You'll get through it, tho. There's always something better. If not, be patient. Playing the long game works out in the end. Hope you can pull it off.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
00:59 Jun 13, 2020

I hope you’re doing okay too, sending hugs from unnamed state.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
01:04 Jun 13, 2020

Ha, *accepts hug from unnamed state*. Hopefully we can do that again when everyone's available, lol.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
01:07 Jun 13, 2020

So... for Sure! 😊 and would it or would it not be cool if we could do a live Reedsy convention? You guys know what I mean? Sorry we roped you into it, Caleb, but you have been chosen. 😂 read your stories, by the way, they’re pretty good!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
01:50 Jun 13, 2020

What? Who's Caleb?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

And yes, I accept your hug from unnamed state. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
14:00 Nov 02, 2020

How you holding up, man? Did you get past the Depression Stage?

Reply

Yeah feeling a little better!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
05:27 Nov 05, 2020

Good to hear it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Inactive User
15:38 Jun 03, 2020

Wow, I love the way you wrote it, really clever idea!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
16:03 Jun 03, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Inactive User
21:56 Jun 03, 2020

You're welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roxie ...
14:34 Jun 02, 2020

woah the ending was so unexpected... i loved it!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
16:10 Jun 02, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
22:43 Jun 01, 2020

I think you really answered this prompt quite well Daryl! The twist at the end was quite drastic!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
02:32 Jun 02, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
04:37 Jun 02, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
14:07 May 31, 2020

Oh no! He killed her, whoops. But it was very moving at the beginning and of course I felt for the main character Nick because his friend died/ he loved her but she had a different boyfriend. But then he did something ridiculous and ruined not only his own life, but everyone around's life. He took something that was not his own. You had a good moral of the story! The ending was twisty but I could see it heading there, which doesn't attest for anything because I can always tell where things are headed; side effect of reading too much. :) I li...

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:23 May 31, 2020

Thanks! This fit better than the basketball one, tbh.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
20:24 Jun 03, 2020

Hm, I guess so. :) But look how well this one did! Fantastic work, General Powell, keep it up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Bianco
18:10 Dec 13, 2022

A kid in my class copied this for his 5 stages of grief story for our wellness class.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shivani Manocha
11:37 Jul 14, 2020

Wow. Loved the story. The way you mentioned the five stages of grief before each phase started, was amazing. It seemed like a personification of those states to me- like them talking. If you don't mind, could you please read my first story? I would love to have a feedback from you. Thanks!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:54 Jul 14, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Wayne
14:04 Jun 25, 2020

Hey. Sorry for late reply, i totally forgot. Yes i have the number

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
15:02 Jun 25, 2020

lol, that's awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:23 Jun 23, 2020

Woah, what an ending! Something of a shocker, but I half expected it. Still, it's hard not to feel a bit for Nick. Grief in any form can be tough, and you portrayed it convincingly

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
10:37 Jun 23, 2020

Wow, thanks Em! I appreciate the thoughtful comment!

Reply

12:58 Jun 23, 2020

You're very welcome! And thanks for liking my stories ;)

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:40 Jun 23, 2020

No prob!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sophia Wayne
22:43 Jun 21, 2020

i honestly admit, that i did not call that which is weird because i always seem to be able to guess the endings of books. So great job! it's always lovely to receive a surprise, things that are predictable are boring and this was not.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
01:32 Jun 22, 2020

Wow, thanks! I love the feedback! Love to read ur stories, Sophia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
13:32 Jun 21, 2020

Wow! I loved your story:) Mind checking out my stories? Thanks. Also, I mentioned you in my bio as all of your stories are great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avani G
23:53 Jun 14, 2020

Hi, Daryl! What a great story! I love the 5 Stages of Grief thing 😉. When do you plan to publish another story?

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
01:36 Jun 15, 2020

I don't know actually, lol. I think that might've been my last story, unless I get inspired or something. For now, I think that might be it for a while, sorry.

Reply

Avani G
02:07 Jun 15, 2020

Ohh... dang it! I was hoping for another one soon! ;) That's fine, though. I felt writers block, too. Maybe try reading more often, it might give you some inspiration.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
18:25 Jun 17, 2020

Sorry, don't really read, lol. I usually get inspiration off of movies, tv shows, etc. But thanks for the suggestion!

Reply

Avani G
19:58 Jun 17, 2020

Yeah, I watch a lot of tv, too, probably more than I read, lol.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
12:59 Jun 18, 2020

lol. I think it's better though, because it's basically writing interpreted into a script meant to be acted out/demonstrated.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Harken Void
20:04 Jun 12, 2020

Nicely done, Daryl! I liked how you used the concept of stages to tell this story. I could feel the character's emotions for each stage (denial, anger...), it's reflected in the things he said and did. I too suspected from the very beginning that he did it and was rewarded for my suspicion at the end, so thank you for that haha. One point of constructive criticism I'd add is this: when writing inner dialogue or direct thoughts a character is having, consider using italic font, not the " " sign. I thought the whole time that he was speaking ...

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
00:55 Jun 13, 2020

Oh, sorry! Thanks for the tip, though! I'll keep that in mind!

Reply

Harken Void
09:00 Jun 13, 2020

No worries. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexandra Pinto
17:22 Jun 12, 2020

Oh My God....... Dude I was really into it and when I read that twist my jaw dropped. Um Part 2 Plz

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
00:54 Jun 13, 2020

Really? I think it's best to leave it at that, lol. Get enough people to agree, and I'll do it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Inactive User
16:30 Jun 11, 2020

I love your story! I have a new story! Please check it out!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
12:17 Jun 12, 2020

Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Messing
00:51 Jun 11, 2020

Interesting framework for the story, and admirable execution.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:25 Jun 11, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
16:38 Jun 10, 2020

Wow, I liked the idea of the different stages. I have read enough stories to be able to assume from the first few paragraphs that he did it, so I am pretty happy about that :) Anyways, this was so good and I look forward to more, Daryl!!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:32 Jun 11, 2020

Thank you, Laiba!

Reply

Laiba M
15:36 Jun 11, 2020

My pleasure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Richoux
03:02 Jun 10, 2020

Ohhhh this was good. This was really good. I didn’t want it to end! I really enjoyed this concept and the way it was written. You did a great job!

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:26 Jun 11, 2020

Wow, Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arya Preston
05:01 Jun 08, 2020

Unreliable narrators are incredibly fun to write and you explored that really well through the stages of grief! I don't know if I read too many mysteries because I had a feeling who was actually responsible. However, the fact that we slowly uncover more information as Nick interacts with people and things really adds to the suspense and uncertainty of the story. Also, his internal monologue is very captivating and definitely held my attention! Great story, Daryl!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.