Golden Music

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

63 comments

Suspense Fiction Horror

10

I travelled to New York City to visit my family.

After a long flight from LA, I had checked into the old hotel a few minutes earlier and was waiting to go into my room.

I was waiting outside the door when I heard it.

A moaning sound.

Like a baby elephant trumpeting for its mother.

Like a broken sink that desperately needs to get fixed.

Like…

A harp.

From inside my room.

The person at the front desk said that the people inside left 2 days ago.

So no one would be inside.

But a harp can’t be playing by itself.

Can it?


9

People were just passing by me, hustling to get to their own rooms.Β 

No one seemed to have time to help me.

I just wandered around the hallway, spotting different people and noting what they looked like.

A little boy passed by.

He was wearing a bright blue shirt with a Toronto Maple Leafs baseball cap while hauling a Thomas the Tank Engine suitcase.

A girl walked up from behind him.

She was wearing a Lifeguard hoodie from Virginia Beach and wearing so short shorts that it would be unacceptable in a high school.

Then a lady appeared from behind her.Β 

β€œAre you doing okay?” she asked.

Here’s my chance.


8

β€œSo there was this noise coming from the room and--”

β€œIt seems quiet.”

I listened.

Nothing.

Nada.

Where did it go?

β€œIt was there just a few seconds ago!” I protested.

β€œI am very busy right now, so I’m afraid you will have to talk to someone else,” the attendant said.

She strutted down the hallway.

My shoulders slumped down, and I listened again, looking for the sound of the harp.

β€œ...”


7

The noise was gone.

For now.

I just scrolled through Instagram while waiting for it to come back.

Doesn’t everyone scroll through Instagram while waiting for a haunted harp to start playing?

Beautiful pictures of people, objects, and places zoomed by under my finger.

I saw several pictures of an egg.

Instagram can have anything and everything.

There were a lot of pictures of food too, and they were making me very hungry.

Authentic pizza.

Creamy gelato.

Glistening red wine.

Why is everything Italian?

Looking at the wine picture again, I noticed it kinda looked like blood.

Not the best comparison to make in the current situation, but who cares?

It’s not like the harp would start playing at the mention of blood.


6

I was wrong.

Again.

The sound of the harp began playing at the mere mention of blood.

I started to pay attention to the actual sound of the music.

It sounded like when you pour hot chocolate mix into hot milk and mix it around, but there are still some clumps in the hot chocolate.

Professional playing sounded more like when there weren't any clumps in the hot chocolate, when it was completely smooth.

This meant that the person (let’s hope it’s a person) is probably not a professional harp player.Β 

I didn’t want to think about how the harp might not be played by anyone, because that could get dark.

Darker than the situation already was.


5

The sound of the harp got louder and louder, enough to make me cringe when it hit high notes.

It almost sounds like the Illuminati Theme song.

I also might be going insane.

I was pacing back and forth in the hallway, listening to the mysteriously playing harp in a hotel in New York.

This is probably the 56273th time I’ve thought that this is not normal.

Back and Forth

Forth and Back

Back and Forth

People passed by.

Kids stared at me.

Dogs bit at my skirt.

None of it bothered me at the moment, because I was forming a plan.


4

Clickety-clack

My shoes clicked against the marble floor while I paced back and forth.

Maybe I could go investigate, I thought.

Ruled that out instantly.

Or I could ask someone to help.

I had tried that already, and it didn’t go that well, so...no.

My mind was going blank. I checked my phone for the time.

8:56 pm.

I’m gonna have to get dinner soon, because I try to go to bed by 10 pm, and I’m getting really hungry, I thought, while evaluating my options.

The only choice is to go into the room.


3

It’s the only way.

I got to eat, and see who (or what) is playing that harp.

This is probably the scariest thingΒ I’ve ever done in my life, I thought.

Going into a room where an unknown person or thing was playing a harp at night.

Because I was hungry.

If you really think about it though, food gives you health, and health determines if you're alive or not, so if I don’t go in, I could die.

Technically I could go to a restaurant, but I was really trying to stay healthy too, AND I would die not knowing who was playing that harp.

Curiosity overtakes all of us, doesn’t it?


2

I was very scared.

Admitting that makes me sound like...a little boy that’s afraid to go outside while it’s dark (... actually, who isn’t?).

Thoughts clouded my brain.

Don’t go in.

There could be ghosts.

Do you like ghosts?

I shook my head, and thought, I’m never gonna get over this, so let’s just do it.

I slid my hand on the doorknob and opened the door.


1

cReAk

I cringed at the harsh sound.

I looked around in the almost complete darkness.

The couch on my right was made of leather, it looked like, with a thin layer of dust.

The little kitchen had a black Keurig that fit nicely with the black aesthetic going on.

A room across from the door was the bedroom, where I couldn’t really see what was there because it was further away.

I saw something unusual.

A glowing harp in the middle of the hotel room.

It seemed to be liquid, the shining colours slipping away into the darkness and coming back out again. The strings were like moonlight, woven into thin strips.

What came next almost blew my eyes out of their sockets.

Beside the harp sat a smiling ghost, playing the harp louder and louder, until it was too intense for my ears to bear.

The music swept me away, with the smile of the ghost haunting me, following me into the darkness.

December 31, 2020 18:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

63 comments

I actually used the reedsy short story idea generator for this story. it was 'You're spending the night in an old Victorian home-turned-hotel. You're just about to go into your room, when you hear a harp playing from inside it' also, some critique would be nice too 😊 title suggestions please, this title is not really the bEsT hope ya like it! - Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:48 Jan 07, 2021

Wonderful story. I think that you should dive into romance sometimes too. If you have written a love story suggest it to me. Nice work and nice concept. I was thinking of the same plot for this prompt. Keep writing. I would love your feedback on a new story.

Reply

Thank youuuu! I don't know, most of the time romance makes me cringe in disgust cause I don't like it very much, but maybe I could add a romance element to my stories. :) Yes, I'll check you out :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Amethyst, I think you nailed the horror aspect of this story. Good job I enjoyed reading it. Also keep the title it matches the story really beautifully.

Reply

hello! thank you, I'm glad you liked it! yes ok I'll keep the title 😊 :D - Amethyst

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

What a lovely story Amethyst! (Can I call you Amy, or do you think I don't deserve to call you that?) I LOVE the title of this story, it is so beautiful and so deep. I enjoyed it very much. Great job! :)

Reply

Thank youuuuu! yes you can call me amy, ames, or ame (I have a lot of nicknames) looks like people like the title, so I'll keep it :D - Amethyst

Reply

Of course Amy! (You get it?) Please do keep the title! It's wonderful! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:57 Apr 10, 2021

Woah this was suuuuper ominous with the countdown and all. Also- YOUR IDEAS ARE SO CREATIVE AND UNIQUE WHAT- So a harp was playing and it's music swept her away....WOW Once again...your descriptionsssssssssssssss are ON POINT! This is I think one of the places where your writing drastically improved and I really enjoyed this! And to confirm- I did read this XD I just never commented ughhhhh but yeah, SO GOOOOD! GUCCI! The mysterious vibe to the whole story makes the reader want to..well...keep reading! This is gonna be one of my favo...

Reply

yessssssss I used a generator idea for this actually XDDD yEs gReAt mEtAphOr rIgHt XD tHaNk yOu!!!!! :DDD thank youuuuu oh okay XD :DDDDD yayyyyyy if you think this will be your favourite WATCH OUT XD might be hit by a ghost or two XD THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Reply

16:05 Apr 12, 2021

Hahaha LOL XDDD yEp OF COURSEEE NO PROBLEMMMMMMMMMMM LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL XD oH nO iM sO sCaReD

Reply

XD :DDD :DDDDD sOrRy~ <33

Reply

17:43 Apr 21, 2021

LoL iTs OkiE

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:48 Jan 10, 2021

πŸ’–

Reply

UPDATE THE POLLSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

18:56 Jan 10, 2021

XDDD ALRIGHTTT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ruby πŸ’«
20:57 Jan 04, 2021

What a interesting story! I enjoyed reading it. I love it. Good Job❀ -RubyπŸ’–

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:37 Jan 01, 2021

:O <β€”β€”β€” that is literally my face rn TIS WAS SO GOODDDDDDDDDDDD I loved how it had a bit of humor in the beginning, but at the end you really nailed the horror aspect of it. The whole β€œharp playing in a room but there’s nobody there” idea is quite common in horror stories, but your story still managed to surprise me, which is great!!! Great job!!!!!!!! :D

Reply

hahaha thanks! I always add some humour so it's not super serious, and I tried at the horror, I haven't really written horror that much, so I wanted to try it out. funny thing, I describe the whole Instagram thing, but I haven't seen an Instagram page once in my life XD happy that you liked it! is the title ok? thank uuuu :D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:05 Jan 01, 2021

Npp!! Lmao, yeah I don't write much horror either, but I've started to write some lol XD sameeee but the way you described it was reallyyy good :D I think the title is fine! Ofcccc!! :)))

Reply

for the new contest I'm gonna do a continuation of this story :D hint: escape rooms

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:08 Jan 01, 2021

:O OMG ESCAPE ROOMS????????? Tell me when you post it, I am very excited to see how that plays out!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

yeeehaa, i haven't even started writing (ha) but i was just thinking of an idea and I was like YES I think I thought of it because I watched James Charles do one soooo that's probably where that came from XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
21:14 Dec 31, 2020

Hi, π”Έπ•žπ•–π•₯𝕙π•ͺ𝕀π•₯! This was a very interesting story. I liked the mystery and intriguing elements you added to entice the reader. But I was wondering if this could take place over ten seconds? Best, Lily

Reply

I thought about that too and I think it can go over 10 seconds, but let's say it was a very fast-paced 10 seconds :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:59 Dec 31, 2020

Hehe, alright. I think I mentioned this earlier but can I call you Ames?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
01:59 Jan 01, 2021

Hehe :D

Reply

nickname log: ame, amy + ames :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:26 Apr 10, 2021

wowowowoowoowoowowowow you have a thing with endings tho. These lines kinda popped out at me: "It sounded like when you pour hot chocolate mix into hot milk and mix it around, but there are still some clumps in the hot chocolate." very interesting metaphor! "Curiosity overtakes all of us, doesn’t it?" YES IT DOES (most of the time :) ) "I was very scared. Admitting that makes me sound like...a little boy that’s afraid to go outside while it’s dark (... actually, who isn’t?)." I'm not...maybe cause I'm not a boy. anyways, great super duper...

Reply

XD :D thanks lol, they're my favourite part to write. yesss I made that up while making hot chocolate ;) I'm weird~ XD YAS oof lol- THANK YOUUUUUU :D

Reply

TJ Squared
19:54 Apr 10, 2021

ikr, it's like 'how dramatically can we end this story?' lol so am I XD #weirdbuddies :))) your welcome!

Reply

yEsSsS ;) #yassss :DD

Reply

TJ Squared
21:54 Apr 10, 2021

}:] i'mma put that in my bio lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Amethyst!! This was such an amazing story!!! You asked for my feedback so...I'm here!! 1. The descriptions and figurative language were amazing. Right off the bat just draws you into the story and gets the readers engaged very quickly 2. Where you chose to put the line breaks really added to the story and helped with the suspense building up in the main character and the readers 3. The mystery that just looms around the entire story, from start to finish, was on. Point. 4. AMAZING title!!!! It really fits with the story 5. The little bi...

Reply

1. THANK YOU LUNAAAA 2. thank you again. i love sUsPeNsE 3. again, THANK UUU 4. :) 5. yeah, i wanted to keep the character vAgUe 6. oh oops, should I change that? 7. tHaNk yOu 8. I WILL FIX THAT 9. YAY I'm so happy that you actually came and gave critiqueee! :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

I'm glad I could help!!! It was an amazing story!!! For the number 6 one, it's completely up to you!

Reply

im ALMOST done part 3, but im thinking of another cliffhanger to end it >:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.