Death and Howls Part One: A New Flight Takes Off!

Written in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “It’s all fun and games…”... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Romance

Mother sobbed gently, pride glistening in her eyes. Her fluffy wolf ears pinned back, her tail wagging underneath the skirt of her silver Victorian style gown. Her silver left eye contrasted her golden right eye beautifully, a sparse amount of wrinkles defining her age. Her fang chewed on her bottom lips, my worn leather bag swinging in her dragon hand. Everyone else had bid me farewell, my heart desiring a few moments alone with her. Burying her into a bear hug, my eighteen year old body now towered over her by nearly seven inches. Emotions soaked my simple ivory blouse, a gentle breeze forcing the hems of my black pants to dance around. Wet eyes met mine, my own tears splashing onto her face. Wiping my tears away, she whistled sharply. Helios bound up to me with Luna on his back, my breath hitching at the sight of her wild silver curls bouncing floating up in a gust of wind. How could she steal my heart every second I looked at her?

“Go have fun. Explore the land of your mother.” Mother urged sweetly, dirt crunching as she stepped back. “Oh yeah! I have this for you.” Presenting me with a clear glass ball, she pressed it into my trembling palms. Too sad to speak, Luna’s copper eyes watched us with concern. Choosing to ignore her for a minute, this trip had been calling me for some time now. Yet knowing that, the sting of leaving lingered in my heart. Rubbing my shoulder as she placed my bag over my shoulder, my lips pecked her cheeks. One last kiss was deserved, our love for each other knowing no bounds.

“Rub this a few times and I should be able to answer. Hell, I will always answer. I may not be able to come to your aid but we can always meet on a train.” She assured me in a motherly tone, Helios flapping his golden wings in annoyance. “You best get going. See you soon, Darwin.” Hugging her one last time, time seemed to stop. Silent tears stained my cheeks, a portal swirling to life in front of Helios. His scarlet scales shimmered in the bright lights, his golden eyes flitting between the portal and me. Sprinting over to him, he roared triumphantly as I jumped onto his back. Grass danced with the hot breath, a smoky heart floating from his snout. Rubbing his twisting golden horns, Luna hopped on in front of me. Tucking the ball into my bag, Luna’s onyx leather dress felt soft against my skin. The flowers swayed as Helios rose into the air, mother running over to the portal to wave goodbye until it sealed shut behind us. Wonder brightened my eyes, twisted trees covered in moss towered around me. Windows were aglow with candlelight, the hidden houses impressing me. Pinning my pointed ears back, her lips brushed against the nape of my neck. Rolling my head back at her fangs tickling the back of my neck, her next words stole my heart away all over again. 

“Dar, I howl for you.” She laughed lightly, her eyes twinkling with pure love. “What are we going to do?” Leaning back into her ample chest, her fangs hanging her lips just right had scarlet flushing my cheeks. The way her right side was raised a bit higher than the left had my heart skipping a beat, this smile being her real smile. Cupping my head, her lips grazed my forehead. Playing with my shoulder length waves, the blackness contrasted the pale skin of her dainty hand. 

“As long as I am with you, it doesn’t matter.” I returned with my own real smile, Helios dodging a couple of branches. “According to the map I was studying, there is a city not far from here. I believe it is half a day away and Helios can go fishing while we check it out. What do you think?” Grinning nervously, a tender blush rose to her cheeks. Sitting up straight, she placed her chin on my shoulder. 

“Simply like you said, Dar. Anywhere with you is fine with me.” She gushed sweetly, my hand cupping hers. “I don’t know how we are going to pay for anything though.” Pressing my lips into a thin line, she wasn’t wrong. Perhaps we could find a job and stick around for a bit until we had enough money saved. Flying in comforting silence, masked riders flying dragons stole our breath away. Dragons were popular around here, Helios letting out an excited growl as he grinned ear to ear. A throat cleared next to us, an elf in magical ivory armor on an ivory dragon flew up next to us. The way the ivory horns twisted spoke of a male sex, the creature's sage eyes stood out in the sea of white scales. 

“My name is Acer Troth, the captain of the Dragonia Knights.” He introduced himself through his smooth helmet, his hand reaching for a handshake. “What breed is your dragon? I have never seen such a handsome beast? Those golden tips accent his stunning scales.” Shrinking back in distrust, a long sigh poured from his lips. 

“I am recruiting you for the knights. We have a shortage of decent riders.” He continued with a nervous chuckle, distrust remaining in my eyes. “If you join, you get paid.” Grumbling under my breath, the way he was speaking had the feeling of a war. Cocking my brow, our dragons hovered in the same place while others zoomed over our heads. 

“Pardon me for asking but are you in a war right now? Wars are all fun and games to the wrong people until someone gets hurt.” I inquired bluntly, Luna shifting uncomfortably behind me. “The dimension I came from settled its conflict many years ago. That was because of me. I ended that guy’s life.” His sage eyes lit up with joy, relief showing in his relaxing posture. Shit, I said too much. Returning his hand to his side, he clasped his palms together. Peace, I wanted peace.

“Then you must meet the queen.” He effused while lifting up his helmet to reveal a bit of his dark orange waves. “She will love you. It comes with free lodging for the night.” Offering my hand, his fingers curled around mine. Shaking firmly for a second, I bowed in his direction. Being kind was all I could think of at the moment, mother telling me to be polite until there isn’t a reason.  

“I am Darwin from the Silver Dimension and my future wife is Luna.” I introduced us with a friendly smile, a blushing Luna waving at him. “We would be honored to meet your queen. If I don’t like her, we are leaving.” Shrugging his shoulders, he mumbled something about fairness. Following him towards an ivory marble castle on the top of the hill, his dragon landed in a barren circle. A cloud of yellow sand obscured our landing, Luna and I sliding off of Helios. A couple of attendants guided the dragons to the stables, Helios looking back for permission. Shooting him a thumbs up, he snorted out a smoky heart. He really was such a good boy. Acer peeled off his helmet, his tall slender body had a few inches on me. Silky waves tumbled around his waist, his pale skin making a ghost look tan. Noting my matching pointed ears, his hands rested on his hips. Don't ask the stupid question, I grumbled internally.

“Are you an elf, Darwin?” He asked with a pensive expression, a female version of him running out. Wild dark orange waves bounced with each step, gentle sage eyes taking me all in. The scarlet wool hugged her tall slender build, the skirt floating away slightly from her hips. Luna clung to my waist, her eyes focusing on the ivory puffs engulfing the poor elven maiden’s shoulders. A golden leaf crown glistened on her head, her hands gripped Acer’s shoulders. Shaking him like he was a rag doll, embarrassment colored his cheeks. Watching with obvious discomfort, there was no way she was the queen.

“What did I tell you about flying off without telling me? We have an army of ogres getting here in a couple of days! Oh, forgive me.” Her expression softened at the sight of us, her gracious smile reminding me of my mother’s. Gripping my heart, a dull ache had me seconds from tears. Ditching her son, he hit the dirt. Curtsying in my direction, Luna and I bowed in her direction. How peculiar, I thought to myself.

“You must be the black haired one from the prophecy, a half-elf here to save the kingdom.” She mused playfully, stroking her chin. “Oops! I am Queen Melda Troth. Would you do me the honor of serving me in this war? We will provide you food and shelter.” Massaging my forehead, dread twisted her lovely features. Her bangs floated up for a second, Luna tugging at my sleeve. 

“Let’s help them. Lottie would do that.” She whispered firmly in my ear, her determination winning me over. Also, she wasn’t wrong in the end. Lottie would have been hunting down the ogres at the first word, a long breath drawing from my lips. Turning my attention back to her, our path had been sealed in this world. Prophecy or not, this kingdom did need our help. Food and shelter would be nice, my hands crossing in a respectful manner.

“You have my help but you have to respect my mate and me.” I promised with my real smile, the queen bouncing up and down. Dancing around the courtyard with her son, her body froze at my next suggestion. Luna even shot me a what the fuck look, a nervous smile curling up to her sharp cheekbones. Time to lay down the proper plan that would end unnecessary damage.

“Correct me if I am wrong, we should ambush them before they get here. Take your best archers and stealth soldiers. Depending on the numbers, we can manage it.” I suggested calmly, everyone stopping around me. “Hell, we can do even better. We attack their camp while they are sleeping.” Elves held back words, an awkward silence hung in the air. Melda mulled it over, her son shaking his head in disbelief. Clearing her throat, her answer stunned even me. 

“Sounds brilliant. We shall send out a couple of scouts to track them and work with what information blesses our ears.” She caved with a brilliant smile, her trust in me could be found rather alarming. “Meet us at the glass oval table tomorrow around noon. Thank you for the suggestion, my dear.” A couple of maids called for her, Acer running over to us with a panicked expression. Gripping my shoulders the way his mother did, he began to shake me wildly as he berated me endlessly. Cupping his mouth, the staff gasped around us. Being in a bit of a mood, my brow rose in pure annoyance. Did they forget the respect rule in mere seconds?

“If we cut them off before the capital, your civilians don’t get to even see them.” I explained briskly, hoping that his fear would die down long enough for me to explain my reasons properly. “Less deaths, less fear. Raid their tents and find out who is in charge of the whole thing. Trust me, I learned from the best. I wouldn’t mind unpacking in my lodgings. Remember the respect rule next time.” Following him to a sea of cabins outside the castle, his gloved hand opened up a door. Letting us in, worn wooden walls greeted my eyes. The mismatched oak furniture made it seem cozy, the tiny kitchenette being more than enough space. Digging his boot into the dirt, his palms pressed together as he bowed in my direction. Straightening his body so that we were almost at eye level, my hand clasped his shoulder. Shit, I think I went too far again.

“Stop stressing. I spent years in school and one of the classes I was forced to learn was war strategies. Let me help out where I can.” I comforted him with my real smile, a natural ease coming over his body. “How about you come over for dinner? Call it a peace offering for my behavior earlier. Your mother can come as well. Apologize to her for me if you see her.” Excusing himself to extend my invitation, I locked the door behind me. Setting my bag on the table, Luna buried herself into my chest. Wrapping my arms around her shoulders, her sweetheart neckline had me blushing. Again, how could she be so stunning?

“Promise me you will be safe.” She pleaded adorably into my chest, my chin rested on the top of my head. Her five foot seven height made her the perfect size for my embrace, my finger lifting up her chin. Kissing her lips tenderly, time slowed. Any chaos died down, our heartbeats echoing in my ear. Releasing her from my spell, the goofy grin had my heart fluttering. Cupping my cheek, we swayed back and forth. Luna was my light in the night, her palms rubbing my arms. 

“I can change into a wolf for you if you need me to.” She offered with a twinkle in her eyes, the corner of my lips curling into a cute half-smile. “I howl for you, Dar.” A deep crimson darkened my cheeks, her finger tapping her chin. Winking in my direction, her fingers danced along my chest. Playful laughter flowed from her lips, my hands cupping her face. Wishing to never let go, my heart belonged to her.

“How was I so lucky to have you in my life?” I flirted with a crooked grin, my hands sliding down to the small of her waist. “Too bad I happen to wolf you with all of my heart. Some would even say that I love you to death.” Chuckling at my jokes, she squirmed out of my arms. Spinning around the cozy space, she leaned forward with a big smile. Her smile fell, a single tear glistening on her cheek. 

“I miss my parents.” She admitted with a sad smile, her fingers scratching the back of her neck. “Do you think your plan will work? Can we win against the ogres?” Spinning her into a loving embrace, she had nothing to worry about. Kissing the top of her head, we swayed back and forth. Both of us missed the warmth of our parents, the other side of us wanting us to make them proud. My lips parted to speak, the door creaking open with Acer hovering away in the most awkward manner. A basket of food hung off of his elbow, his tan blouse danced in a warm breeze. Fussing with his dark brown pants, his boots dug into the dirt outside of the cabin. 

“I came over to help you cook the ingredients. Maybe we could start over and become good friends.” He chirped cheerfully, walking right into the kitchen. “Let’s get fire going in the st-” Blasting the fresh wood with my flames, wonder rounded his eyes. Didn’t elves have magic? Cocking my brow in response, Luna punched me. Mouthing the word smile, a bright smile spread painfully on my lips. Bouncing out of my arms, her slender hands tied her wild hair into a bun. The silver ribbon I gave her last year caused me to smile softly to myself, the two of them breaking into a pleasant chat. Hanging back, the ball she gave me began to glow. Excusing myself, my mother's face came into view. Her study blurred behind her, her real smile causing tears to shimmer in my eyes. 

“Did you get settled in?” She queried warmly, placing her feet on her desk. That was the real her, her regal front was nothing more than such around the other nobles. Her real side shone bright when she was walking among the regular people in the capital. Sipping on tea, her motherly gaze rested on me. Speak, you bloody idiot!

“We landed ourselves in the middle of a war of sorts. Some ogres are coming our way but I told the queen that she needed to ambush them before they got close to the capital.” I explained with a nervous grin, the chair groaning as she leaned forward with another smile. “Did I do the right thing by coming on so strong?” Waving her hand around, my mother’s devilish grin confirmed that I had made the correct decision. 

“You sure did. Keep hitting them strong, kiddo!” She returned with a hearty chuckle, her finger tapping her chin. “I would have suggested the same solution. Show them your kind side next time you chat. Bluntness can be a bit rough upon first meetings.” Someone called for her, a quick goodbye escaped her lips. The connection fizzled out, a flame of hope burning deep inside of me. Grant us the luck we would need.

April 19, 2024 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.