Birthdays are Boring

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

18 comments

Fiction

Why did I agree to doing this? This is a catastrophe! I groaned out loud. It was creepy. I should have brought Miranda with me. It was her idea anyway. Do you want to know where I am and what I’m talking about? You do. Ok, here is your explanation:


Before this terrible day happened:

Yesterday:


It was my birthday. Lots of people would be excited, but not me. I had promised my sister (Actually she basically forced me) to do one thing that she wanted me to do. She literally threatened me!

I went downstairs gloomy and annoyed, my mother was coming up to wake me. “Hello Melanie!” she said, way to cheerfully. “Why the sour face? It’s your birthday!!” That‘s my mum for you. Anyway, I went into the (what we call it) birthday room. We only go in this particular room if we were either, having a birthday, celebrating a birthday or getting ready for a birthday. Anyway, I walked in and there were presents for me everywhere. My big sister Miranda walked in grinning from ear to ear. I glared at her. “Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.” She taunted me. I can’t handle it any longer. I know this sounds bad, but at the top of my lungs I screeched: "Will you shut up?" She didn’t, so again I yelled: "Stop!!!!"

“Melanie, no yelling in this house.” Mum ordered. I, however was way too angry to listen. “How about we open the presents now.” Mum was stern. “Mum, Miranda does nothing but torment me.” I cried. “Here is your first present.” Mum instructed. “Open it up.” Anger was still bubbling up inside me, but what choice did I have? I ripped my present open with such force that I nearly broke the fragile gift. Quick as a jiffy I opened the other presents. We went to a carnival the rest of the day. At 9:19pm, I was about finish this dreadful day. I was actually quite enjoying this minute by myself. It’s my favourite minute of my hopefully long life. There was a knock on my bedroom door. Mum was here and I didn’t want this minute to end. I was wrong. It was Miranda. “So, I have decided what you are going to do for me.” She says mischievously. “Break into the library.”


Present Time


So that‘s what happened. I hope that explains where I am and how?

Thank goodness it does! It’s now 10:30 pm and I’m quite tired. And scared. I hate Miranda! I thought she had changed from the time we'd discovered a witch! Perhaps not. I sighed. It’s freezing in here! I remembered my task: Steal a book called The Beginning of the World by a person I forgot the name of. It’s a boring book actually, I don’t know why she wanted it.

It was deathly silent and the only flicker of light was my candle. I decided to turn the light on, so I blew out my candle and flicked the light switch. I couldn’t keep it on for long. I looked through the ancient books. (They were actually ancient, truly.)

Not a single one was called; 'The Beginning of the World.' But there was another book that I found interesting: 'The Book Of -,'yeah, this is a really ancient book so the last word has faded away. I made a little cosy reading nook with pillows and started reading. Off to a magical place...



April 26, 2021 00:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

10:02 Apr 26, 2021

You're only 8 and you write like this? I'm ten years older than you and am just about this good. I do scarier stuff, though, and your writing style is more like a familiar place I can go to when I need to.

Reply

20:04 Apr 26, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ed .
03:04 Apr 27, 2021

WOW! That was a 6 out of 5 story! I am more fond of Miranda than Melanie. I guess they have a good side and bad. Goat story Giselle Alexandra!

Reply

04:06 Apr 27, 2021

By the way. You do great story ‘s I love the library canary. Though I wonder what happens about the canary. Does he actually come back? I would love if you did a second book on The Library Canary. About the canary coming back for revenge.

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:50 Apr 27, 2021

Thanks. I know that the main character usually is a good guy. Though I thought there should be a small twist. Please give me feedback if you have any. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:58 Apr 27, 2021

Also, you can just call me Giselle. If you have an idea of a nickname you want to call me, you can just comment me saying your suggestion, and I’ll tell you what I think of it. Thanks. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Angel {Readsy}
03:15 Apr 28, 2021

I am nightingale I read and sing your stories in the flowering garden and all birds, firefly, fairy and flowers are smiling and very thankful to you for writing such an excellent story.

Reply

23:20 Apr 28, 2021

Thanks. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chase .
00:51 Apr 26, 2021

Great job Giselle! I hope to read more of your work soon.

Reply

00:59 Apr 26, 2021

Thanks, I hope to read more of yours too! You have great writing skills.

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:59 Apr 26, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Chase .
01:01 Apr 26, 2021

(:

Reply

Ed .
01:15 Apr 28, 2021

Really good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ed .
01:15 Apr 28, 2021

Really good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ed .
01:15 Apr 28, 2021

Really good story!

Reply

Ed .
01:15 Apr 28, 2021

Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ed .
01:15 Apr 28, 2021

Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ed .
01:15 Apr 28, 2021

Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 3 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.